• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ahh i can imagine it now end of a skype call

"alright i'll speak to you later mate"
"alrgiht see ya"
*Columbo moment*
"oh and one more thing"
"what?"
"XBOX OFF"
"you son of......"*xbox shuts down*

nah, you have to be more subtle than that - work it into conversations sneakily so people don't realise you're trolling for a little while.

"hey how are things?"
"not bad. Hey did you see that ad for the XBOX OFF the TV?"
"wtf, damn my xbox just popped up this...hold on a sec"
"no problem."
"OK, back again. What were you saying?"
"oh my boss saw MS pitching to put kinects in meeting rooms. Could be cool. Imagine an XBOX OFFice"
"shit, it did it again. Hold on, something is wrong with this thing"

wait wait wait, so the xbox fan boy defense is that xbox off only brings up a prompt that requires you to confirm it? what do you confirm with the controller or voice? eitherway what is the actual point of voice commands if you have to confirm it twice?

so its either
XBOX OFF
YES
what happens if it fucks up and thinks you said no? do you keep going through that?

or is it
XBOX OFF
confirm with button presses.....

so utterly doing nothing as holding the home button and switching the console off was quick

i'm so glad i've sold my xbox, this is worse than windows alert prompts in vista/7/8

and the other defense is Kinect 2 (the much hyped vast improvement that nobody has tried out yet) is no better than Kinect 1

I'm not even going to point out the problems with that

even if thats the case, bringing annyoing prompts up on screen would still be perfect troll bait

nah, you have to be more subtle than that - work it into conversations sneakily so people don't realise you're trolling for a little while.

"hey how are things?"
"no problem."
"oh my boss saw MS pitching to put kinects in meeting rooms. Could be cool. Imagine an XBOX OFFice"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDPy2euUFbM#t=14

OT: But kinda relevant when voice commands with Kinect go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6kw4ER1Yes

I started "Xbox Off" months ago! Welcome to July GAF!

xAb6vjV.gif

Kammie

Only a matter of time till we get a news article about a sibling inflicting bodily injury to another due to this!

worried how easy it is to get pr people to get you talking about useless tech like kinect

5 pages of fantasy posting about how you'll do this how you'll do that and it'll be so funny with broken tech and how you want to try it. that's marketing and building interest, sucking it up like a lollipop

I already have "my" machine from a classy company. a 700$ iphone 5s with actual voice recognition and finger print scanner. trash video game makers have a long way to get there
Do you always post in character? Do they call people like that method posters?

I legit can't tell anymore.

kyser73

It's all very well and good being able to say 'Xbox on' while walking up the stairs to my second floor loft apartment, but I've still got to get to the TV remote (or indeed the TV if I don't leave it on standby) and press a button.

Hope my wife does not figure out this functionality.

" honey turn your XBOX OFF!!!! " ... NOOoOooooOoOO lol

I'm sure they will patch this out at some point. Have an option to turn it off during gameplay ... something like that.

Alx

It's all very well and good being able to say 'Xbox on' while walking up the stairs to my second floor loft apartment, but I've still got to get to the TV remote (or indeed the TV if I don't leave it on standby) and press a button.

Not necessarily. The kinect can act as an IR blaster, turn your TV on and probably switch channels.

Lets use some common sense here people. If the Xbox One is an office setting where multiple people will be using it, what is the point of setting it up with only one voice being compatible? It is most likely set for every one to use, and the worst case secenerio if it does not recognise as well it should have, than you unplug the Kinect.

Zincalloy

Banned
Screw that noise. My wife would drive me insane with this. If I do buy an X1 (which I'm not going to at the moment, definitely going PS4), I would probably NEVER connect Kinect.

MaulerX

You forgot it can control your tv too? I know people are joking and it's all fun and games, but I reckon people will use that feature more than you'd think.

Magnus

Do game devs care about social media perception? Like, do they worry about how their relationships with MS will be affected by tweets like this?

jaypah

"hey how are things?"
"no problem."
Lol, you got me with "Xbox Office". Very sneaky!

Edit: What about MS's own commercials? "And if you're into movies and music Xbox offers....".

jaaz

Gamer #1: "Finally, a perfect run in this damn Forza track..."

[Just before crossing finish line]

Gamer's Dick Friend: "Xbox OFF"

Gamer #1: "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Hanmik

It must be pain if you are sitting and watching a movie on your TV, and then you talk to another person about the Xbox One..

- "Hey I see you have the new Xbox"
- "Yes it´s called Xbox One"

Xbox turns on... TV switches to Xbox signal instead of movie,

-"ahh shit Xbox Off"

Xbox Turns off and you watch the movie again.

-"I thought you said it was called Xbox One?"

Xbox turns on... TV switches to Xbox signal instead of movie,

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You forgot it can control your tv too? I know people are joking and it's all fun and games, but I reckon people will use that feature more than you'd think.

it can turn your channel over with the IR blaster. I haven't seen anyone say it'll turn your TV on. How will it know whether your TV is on or off? I could be watching TV, say 'Xbox on' and it turns my TV off!

Top Bottom