• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

It's still communication. And it's not shouting, come on each time I hear/read that, it sounds as ignorant as my father calling videogames "shaking a computer".

It's not the same. I'm not communicating with kinect I'm commanding it. If I could just talk to it and it understand me that'd be one thing but that's not the case. I can't just say Xbox play halo 4. Go to matchmaking and join a party with dudebro. I have to say what it wants me to say. And as other people are saying it can't interpret things. It doesn't know who said it. If it should listen or not. It might not pick up your dialect. I'm sure it won't process things 100% of the time. But you know what will . . . a button

v0yce

Just imagine a Metal Gear Solid HD remake where, instead of making your controller shake, Psycho Mantis yells "Xbox Off" to demonstrate his 4th wall breaking power!

Alx

It's communication with a device, ofcourse. But it's only real use is in a car or something like that.

And why is it useful in a car ? Because you want/need to be able to do something else than pushing buttons. That wouldn't happen in a living room, right ? (reading a book, eating a sandwich, feeding the baby, scratching your balls, browsing neogaf, ...)

Just because it's a new tech doesn't mean it's an improvement over current tech.

Good thing the current tech is still there too. TV sets still have buttons after all.

I can totally understand the hate by insomniac. And these people aren't dinosaurs either.

Erm, hate ? It seems you're projecting too much of your own opinion there. Says a lot on the objectivity of your reasoning.

Also, it will make people shout. Cause that's what people do when the the tech doesn't pick up their commands the first time.

That's a convenient way to find drawbacks of a new tech : start with the assumption that it doesn't work.
People also press harder on buttons when they don't register (which doesn't help any more than shouting at a voice recognition device). It doesn't mean that most people mash their remote when they're using it.

And "xbox off" takes longer than pressing "off". It's inefficient.

Less efficient if you're currently holding a remote controller, more efficient if you're not. That's why you have a choice.

Rubius

Less efficient if you're currently holding a remote controller, more efficient if you're not. That's why you have a choice.

Except that so far my experience tell me that instead of shutting down, my Xbox will search for something on the web. One month until we see how bad it is.

Lunchbox

Banned
are you people dumb omg I'm gonna "troll" with it bro

xbox off won't work half the time because it's kinect
When it does it will promt the menu that shows are you sure yes or no like the current kinect does not instantly turn it off like your fantasy
it won't work like omg I'm so troll I'm gonna scream over headset and at best buy lol troll bro troll as kinect isn't that sensitive

and this is probably a pr stunt to get you to talk about kinect

gullible "us gamers"

sublimit

Banned
I really wonder how many XB1 adopters will use this gimmick.Talking to a machine would have been something cool back in the 80's but in 2013?
Personally i'd be embarrassed even if i was alone in the room. :/

kurbaan

Banned
Except that so far my experience tell me that instead of shutting down, my Xbox will search for something on the web. One month until we see how bad it is.

Oh so you've been using it? Please tell us more about your experience. I'm not even getting an xbone but some of the shit here is pretty dumb.

Just imagine a Metal Gear Solid HD remake where, instead of making your controller shake, Psycho Mantis yells "Xbox Off" to demonstrate his 4th wall breaking power!

Damn. That would be ridiculous. In a good way.

I would love to see what Kojima would do with Kinect.

Rubius

When it does it will promt the menu that shows are you sure yes or no like the current kinect does not instantly turn it off like your fantasy
it won't work like omg I'm so troll I'm gonna scream over headset and at best buy lol troll bro troll as kinect isn't that sensitive
gullible "us gamers"

Pretty sure that PR stunts try to not say a MASSIVE negative about the Kinect. I play and live alone most of the time, but if anybody, like a girlfriend, can come and say "Turn the xbox off" and it turns off? That's a bad thing. A really, really bad thing. Make me want to use my Kinect 2.0 even less.
I'm sure, 100% sure, it work. Let's just see if they will put a password on it, like "Xbox Off Mileycyrusrulezwithaz"

Oh so you've been using it? Please tell us more about your experience. I'm not even getting an xbone but some of the shit here is pretty dumb.

I used the Kinect on the 360. It's unreliable. Repeating 10 times "Xbox : 'splosion man" is not great when you can simply click on the icon. Most voice command technology is really bad these days, I doubt that a Xbox one kinect will do what Apple and Google cant get right.

kurbaan

Banned
I used the Kinect on the 360. It's unreliable. Repeating 10 times "Xbox : 'splosion man" is not great when you can simply click on the icon. Most voice command technology is really bad these days, I doubt that a Xbox one kinect will do what Apple and Google cant get right.

So you have no clue how good the Xbone Kinect works and are talking out of your ass.

Rubius

So you have no clue how good the Xbone Kinect works and are talking out of your ass.

Arent we all? The subject is how people can close the Xbox by simply saying Xbox Off even if it's not the player.
Outside of "Oh. Ok." What do you want us to say ? Voice recognition is not a viable option now. It's a problem if even devs cant fix it. So yeah, I dont know every detail of the Xbox One. Do not mean I cant say that voice recognition on the Xbox One will probably be as bad as the Android or Siri one, which is pretty bad and slower than simply searching by typing on the keyboard.

I really wonder how many XB1 adopters will use this gimmick.Talking to a machine would have been something cool back in the 80's but in 2013?
Surely you arent serious. Have you seen all the speak to text type applications we have in communication devices? Let alone siri and computers that give you options to google and youtube just by speaking. Embarrassed? lol

hesido

Wouldn't it turn off your own Xbox too?

I'm guessing, if you speak loud enough for the headset but quite enough so kinect doesn't register sound, you could pull it off without turning off your own box even Kinect is connected.

But if this becomes a thing, people will keep their kinects unplugged (originally, you couldn't unplug it, but they 180'd that too, iirc)

sublimit

Banned
Surely you arent serious. Have you seen all the speak to text type applications we have in communication devices? Let alone siri and computers that give you options to google and youtube just by speaking. Embarrassed? lol

No i'm very serious.Maybe it's a cultural thing or something but where i come from i don't know even a single person using voice recognition with their devices.

Me: *Goes on XBL*

Me: *Get on a random MP game*

Me: *Team voice chat*: Hey, what's up guys.

Random player 1: Hey

Random player 2: Sup man.

Me: Are you guys using your headset or your Kinect to talk?

Random Player 2: I am using Kinect as a mic actually.

Me: With the audio out on your TV?

Random Player 2: Yup.

Me: XBOX OFF! *trollface*

I wonder if that's possible.
Would not work. Reasons being:

1) Go to solution, headset is packed in. No way will your voice be loud enough to have Kinect pick up when it's coming from a headset.

2) Even IF the system didn't come with a headset (like it was planned to), if you actually spend the 2 minutes to properly calibrate Kinect, it won't pick up audio from you television, be it voice, music, sound effects, etc, it won't pick it up. It knows to filter it. It is the most annoying thing in the world when people not only use Kinect to communicate online, but they also don't bother to calibrate it.

3) More likely than not, Kinect 2 will pull up a menu asking for confirmation, and even more likely, Microsoft will probably make Kinect 2 only listen to "Xbox, Off!" if said by the voice of the account owner.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm guessing, if you speak loud enough for the headset but quite enough so kinect doesn't register sound, you could pull it off without turning off your own box even Kinect is connected.

But if this becomes a thing, people will keep their kinects unplugged (originally, you couldn't unplug it, but they 180'd that too, iirc)

There's no way that will work, the kinect doesn't respond from sound coming out of the speakers otherwise gaming audio in general(explosions, gunshots, screams) would make it freak the hell out. It is always being filtered out, so other player audio would fall in the same category. As for someone coming into your room and shouting it, that might work. Guess it depends on options, as they've shown videos of it recognizing and filtering out voices that aren't yours which would stop that. They had a few videos showing stuff like that and how loud the gaming audio is to the kinect itself.

kurbaan

Banned
Arent we all? The subject is how people can close the Xbox by simply saying Xbox Off even if it's not the player.
Outside of "Oh. Ok." What do you want us to say ? Voice recognition is not a viable option now. It's a problem if even devs cant fix it. So yeah, I dont know every detail of the Xbox One. Do not mean I cant say that voice recognition on the Xbox One will probably be as bad as the Android or Siri one, which is pretty bad and slower than simply searching by typing on the keyboard.

Fair point. But I think the recognition potentially seems to be pretty good considering it recognizes it over the PA. And I can't say for Siri but I am always surprised by how good the google voice recognition is on Android.

Not saying that this will be some revolution or whatever but it seems like all the home entertainment boxes are moving towards voice that Comcast X1 thing, I also saw an ad today for the Direct TV box showing voice. So its only going to be more prevalent. With Moto X you can see even Google is moving android in that direction. I still think it a ways off from being natural speech but people shouldn't just discount all the speech tech in xbox, android, siri or whatever else. These products are necessary to reach that perfect natural speech recognition.

Also I think based on what i've seen I dont think the kinect will ever recognize your voice, probably they way it knows you are talking is if you are in view of the camera it can tell if you are speaking or not so it might mix facial recognition and voice to recognize you. Atleast thats how I would do it.

Rubius

Fair point. But I think the recognition potentially seems to be pretty good considering it recognizes it over the PA. And I can't say for Siri but I am always surprised by how good the google voice recognition is on Android.

Not saying that this will be some revolution or whatever but it seems like all the home entertainment boxes are moving towards voice that Comcast X1 thing, I also saw an ad today for the Direct TV box showing voice. So its only going to be more prevalent. With Moto X you can see even Google is moving android in that direction. I still think it a ways off from being natural speech but people shouldn't just discount all the speech tech in xbox, android, siri or whatever else. These products are necessary to reach that perfect natural speech recognition.

Also I think based on what i've seen I dont think the kinect will ever recognize your voice, probably they way it knows you are talking is if you are in view of the camera it can tell if you are speaking or not so it might mix facial recognition and voice to recognize you. Atleast thats how I would do it.

Voice recognision is the kind of stuff where you go "Man, that's cool!" and then use it less and less because the novelty factor goes down. It's cool that I have the option, but if the Xbone do not come with the option of turning off the Xbox Off command, the Kinect wont be connected to the X1 outside of the honeymoon period.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah seriously. Who would want to communicate through speech when you can push buttons ?

Sure we're dealing with machines and not people, but talking has always been the most natural way for human beings to transfer information.

The difference here is that humans can reliably recognize the speaker and nearly 100% of information transferred, the machines can't, not yet.

Real question this brings up

Will it be possible to turn off another person's xbox from a skype call?

That would be amazing

And what about games of COD?

They have to fix it

Ahh i can imagine it now end of a skype call

"alright i'll speak to you later mate"
"alrgiht see ya"
*Columbo moment*
"oh and one more thing"
"what?"
"XBOX OFF"
"you son of......"*xbox shuts down*

Lunchbox

Banned
Ahh i can imagine it now end of a skype call

"alright i'll speak to you later mate"
"alrgiht see ya"
*Columbo moment*
"oh and one more thing"
"what?"
"XBOX OFF"
"you son of......"*xbox shuts down*
and then you wake up from your nerd dreams since kinect isn't that responsive and a conformation page would pop up even if it did work by sheer luck

Rubius

and then you wake up from your nerd dreams since kinect isn't that responsive and a conformation page would pop up even if it did work by sheer luck

You should calm down the Xbox fanboyism, you, like 99% of us, never touched or played the Xbox One. It's all fun and games. Welcome to the jungle.
But we all know everybody will try it when they get a Xbox One.
"Hey ! Come here and say "Xbox Off" while I play Deadrising 3, I wanna test something"

Lunchbox

Banned
You should calm down the Xbox fanboyism, you, like 99% of us, never touched or played the Xbox One. It's all fun and games. Welcome to the jungle.
But we all know everybody will try it when they get a Xbox One.
"Hey ! Come here and say "Xbox Off" while I play Deadrising 3, I wanna test something"

why do you get offended when the reality of kinect not working is brought up? how much is ms paying you to tell us about the magic of kinect and how you wanna "try it"

StuBurns

Banned
I'm very disappointed the 30 Rock scene with Jack using his voice controlled TV doesn't appear to be on YouTube to share with you all, because it's wonderful.

zon

gullible "us gamers"

Worried "your" console is being laughed at, huh?

Rubius

I'm very disappointed the 30 Rock scene with Jack using his voice controlled TV doesn't appear to be on YouTube to share with you all, because it's wonderful.

Well I did find a scene of it.

In the comments of the video :
"I had this happen to me yesterday when trying to watch Mad Men. One of the kids had a line that included "Stop," so my Xbox kept quitting the episode every time I reached it.
For this story alone, you need to get the entire clip up here!" A year ago.
HA. Does this work for real? If a actor say stop in a TV show, it stop the show since the Kinect get it? I need to try that.

why do you get offended when the reality of kinect not working is brought up? how much is ms paying you to tell us about the magic of kinect and how you wanna "try it"

It may surprise you, but people do have a Kinect 1... and of those people, Can you believe that it actually worked for some of them?

Thats the reason some people get defensive, because for the people it works for, all they know is it working. Can't blame them for it, maybe they took the time to calibrate the thing, maybe they live in a quieter environment, maybe they just have an amazing voice.

Lunchbox

Banned
Worried "your" console is being laughed at, huh?
worried how easy it is to get pr people to get you talking about useless tech like kinect

5 pages of fantasy posting about how you'll do this how you'll do that and it'll be so funny with broken tech and how you want to try it. that's marketing and building interest, sucking it up like a lollipop

I already have "my" machine from a classy company. a 700$ iphone 5s with actual voice recognition and finger print scanner. trash video game makers have a long way to get there

crtion

Neo Member

I use voice search all the time on my galaxy phone. I thought it was a useless gimmick. Now I don't type anymore. I love it. If I get xboxone, surely I would use kinect all the time.

And why is it useful in a car ? Because you want/need to be able to do something else than pushing buttons. That wouldn't happen in a living room, right ? (reading a book, eating a sandwich, feeding the baby, scratching your balls, browsing neogaf, ...)

Good thing the current tech is still there too. TV sets still have buttons after all.

Erm, hate ? It seems you're projecting too much of your own opinion there. Says a lot on the objectivity of your reasoning.

That's a convenient way to find drawbacks of a new tech : start with the assumption that it doesn't work.
People also press harder on buttons when they don't register (which doesn't help any more than shouting at a voice recognition device). It doesn't mean that most people mash their remote when they're using it.

We'll see. I hate it (but can see it being useful in certain instances). Use it if you want.
Sounds like hell on earth to me.

I do think it's impressive tech by the way. If it works. I just don't like the general idea of voice commands to devices in public places or places where i am at that time. Less sound = a better place to me personally. Even if i might sound like an old man yelling at clouds.

I can't really understand how people can be positive over this. The change that it works flawless is basicly 0%. Even if it is impressive.
It also delayed the xbox in most countries.

Rubius

worried how easy it is to get pr people to get you talking about useless tech like kinect

5 pages of fantasy posting about how you'll do this how you'll do that and it'll be so funny with broken tech and how you want to try it. that's marketing and building interest, sucking it up like a lollipop

I already have "my" machine from a classy company. a 700$ iphone 5s with actual voice recognition and finger print scanner. trash video game makers have a long way to get there

Fingerprint scanners who can let people in your phone without any code. Next you will say that you like the facial recognition on phone when all you need is a picture.

Rubius

needs to be programmed to only recognise the current logged in users voice.

Except that it's not a NSA device. If two people have a similar voice, it will register it as the player. My brother and I have similar voices, so if he wanted to annoy me, he could do that easily. The kinect 1.0 could not even register your hand waving properly, so a voice, 6-8 feet away from it? I doubt it will work that well.

No i'm very serious.Maybe it's a cultural thing or something but where i come from i don't know even a single person using voice recognition with their devices.
Well you dont gotta use it all the time, its just a near little feature. Nobody is asking siri 24/7, nobody will use kinect for everything you can do with a controller.

Artorias

Banned

Had a good laugh at how emotional this response was, and then clicked his tag.

Holy shit, what a clown.

Top Bottom