• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

Wow, what a fail.

If really i can walk and shout Xbox Off and the console actually turns off, i would abuse the hell out of this function just for the lulz !

I guess the voice recognition with kinect still isn't fixed.

jaypah

What happen when you say xbox off?

It cant just turn off does it? no way...

Nah, it brings up a prompt most likely. I know it was stated that it doesn't just instantly turn off.

Also, thank God that I don't live with an asshole. My wife wouldn't do this. Neither would my friends now that I think about it.

What happen when you say xbox off?

It cant just turn off does it? no way...

It's been said over, and over, and over. There's a time delay and wait for confirmation - or at least that's the plan that's been communicated publicly, no idea of the current state.

I imagine something like an achievement style overlay with a countdown, giving you the time to verbally cancel without significantly interrupting what you are currently doing.

Office hijinks are serious matters.

I thought Xbox would only take commands from audio signals it can associate it with what it sees through it's camera. So audio coming from people/objects off screen would be ignored. If not, this is Kinect 1 all over again.

Original tweeters response to this thread:

Andreas Fredriksson ‏@deplinenoise 15m
@daniel_collin What the hell? That's stupid. How many consumers have N consoles set up like this?

jim2011

Wow, what a fail.

If really i can walk and shout Xbox Off and the console actually turns off, i would abuse the hell out of this function just for the lulz !

I wouldn't make a judgement til its actually out. They did show the whole kinect only listening to the primary player in demos. They were some pretty convincing demos too... Could it just be prerelease software and other employees being a-holes? Notice his response was that it only worked sometimes. Seems like the employees are trying to be jerks.

Skeff

No wonder we heard Xbox development is more difficult that PS4, amirite?

But, seriously I imagine people asking you to turn your xbox off would only become more annoying with this:

So, you gunna turn your xbox off soon?

*prompt*

how long until you saved it and can turn your xbox off?

*prompt*

hehe, not to mention it will be used by arseholes like me to annoy people I know, also I imagine it will be a very good strategy for if anyone has voice comms out of their loudspeaers rather than a headset.

linkeds2

Banned
Wow, what a fail.

The xbox doesn't listen to the audio it sends out itself, so someone can't just yell XBOX OFF in a MP game and everyone's xbox prompt to shut down

also, it's already known that Kinect only listens to whoever is holding the controller and can recognize their face (if it doesn't see a face or a controller, it'll probably listen to any voice it hears), but this is the failsafe

The xbox doesn't listen to the audio it sends out itself, so someone can't just yell XBOX OFF in a MP game and everyone's xbox prompt to shut down

also, it's already known that Kinect only listens to whoever is holding the controller and can recognize their face (if it doesn't see a face or a controller, it'll probably listen to any voice it hears), but this is the failsafe

Is it? I mean I know MS has said that's how it's supposed to work, but is it really the way it'll work at launch? I'm not so sure to be honest.

Ricker

Not funny if it delays the release of a game...sorry guys,Resistance game pushed to spring 2015,no reason specified... :p ;) lol

That is pretty funny though.

Devil

Serious, maybe dumb question:

What happens if you say something to your buddy next to you like: "Why don't you turn the _Xbox off_ and do [...]" Will that turn the Xbox off?

jaypah

No wonder we heard Xbox development is more difficult that PS4, amirite?

But, seriously I imagine people asking you to turn your xbox off would only become more annoying with this:

So, you gunna turn your xbox off soon?

*prompt*

how long until you saved it and can turn your xbox off?

*prompt*

hehe, not to mention it will be used by arseholes like me to annoy people I know, also I imagine it will be a very good strategy for if anyone has voice comms out of their loudspeaers rather than a headset.

I just don't understand the pleasure in doing this. I could easily walk past my wife while she's on her laptop and press the power button every time but why the hell would I want to? Or pick up the remote and turn the whole TV off while she's playing. Don't get me wrong, it's probably funny as hell the first time but every time after that it's about as dry as "working hard or hardly working?".

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
start to develop on ps4 dudes

If this really becomes a big problem it could lead to people disconnecting the Kinect.....thats even more reason to release a non-Kinect bundle.
Oh I meant because of rage quitting. I think the voice audio only goes through the headset anyways. unless you change the option.

SolidC213

This is going to suck if it is really that easy to turn off (but I doubt it). I wonder if the sound coming from your tv can set this off...I can imagine someone without a mic on playing Halo and someone on their team just yells out XBOX OFF lol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
in case it wasn't clear: we're using pre-release hardware. the final product won't just turn off on command while you're in a game or watching a movie, you need to confirm it.

Top Bottom