• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

FeiRR

Banned
blue_megaphone_small.png

Weapon of mass diskinection.

FINALBOSS

Banned
The point of technology is to make things:

A) Possible
B) Better
C) Quicker/Easier

This is why the whole concept is weird, it takes less effort from a human to user their thumb on a remote controller/gamepad and switch something on/off, than it does by yelling commands or worse, waving their hands around to open up tabs/videos/games.

Its why i dont think this has the novelty that MS believes it has. The reason smartphones became big is because as they removed physical buttons, it allowed for a better and much bigger screen. Thus everything improved (except battery life) and that is where the market went. It seems like Microsoft wants to turn your HDTV into a giant smartphone with Siri

And speaking of Siri, the whole idea is a failure, barely anyone uses Siri for anything other than asking "her" (or it?) what she is wearing and getting smart one liners back.

That was one of my main arguments in another thread. The other is reliability. If that shit doesn't work all the time, every time, people are going to say fuck it and go back to the tried and true method of remotes. We've all seen the reports of Kinect 2.0 still being finnicky after all of its "improvements" so I have no doubt it's going to fuck up all the time. Yelling "volume up" until Kinect recognizes wtf you're doing is gonna drive people nuts and they'll just give up on it.

Shady859

Another reason to not hook up that Kinect trash. My GF saw that feature when the consoles were first hyped and was like yea you should get that! (insert evil smile)

Not buying a console this year but will test this feature at every retailers display model.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I simply cannot wait to try this on my one friend who's getting the Xbone. It's a pretty solid joke here at my work already ... "Xbox go home. Xbox.... xbox stahp."

You know for a fact there will be a video on youtube of some kid walking into the living room late at night while dad is trying to FINALLY get that lap done in under 1:20 in Forza.. "Daddy.. Why don't you ever turn the Xbox off?"

Harpuea

Me: *Goes on XBL*

Me: *Get on a random MP game*

Me: *Team voice chat*: Hey, what's up guys.

Random player 1: Hey

Random player 2: Sup man.

Me: Are you guys using your headset or your Kinect to talk?

Random Player 2: I am using Kinect as a mic actually.

Me: With the audio out on your TV?

Random Player 2: Yup.

Me: XBOX OFF! *trollface*

I wonder if that's possible.

MaulerX

Didn't they say that about Kinect 1 as well? Because you could pretty easily mess with that one also, despite not having a profile on there.

Not that Kinect 1 is proof, but if the same exact thing is happening then I'm thinking this isn't the strictest of voice recognition.

Kinect 1 never recognized individual voices. I don't think it was ever advertised as doing so either.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kinect 1 never recognized individual voices. I don't think it was ever advertised as doing so either.

Yeah, I don't recall that at all. This has actual voice filtering.

Of course, hopefully it actually works as well as it needs to.

Mr. X

EVO2014 will be using 360s for the games that run better on them (SF4/MvC3). No one knows the other games but if they are better on PS3 or PS3 only, they'll be there on PS3s,

Me: *Goes on XBL*

Me: *Get on a random MP game*

Me: *Team voice chat*: Hey, what's up guys.

Random player 1: Hey

Random player 2: Sup man.

Me: Are you guys using your headset or your Kinect to talk?

Random Player 2: I am using Kinect as a mic actually.

Me: With the audio out on your TV?

Random Player 2: Yup.

Me: XBOX OFF! *trollface*

I wonder if that's possible.
Wouldn't it turn off your own Xbox too?

friendly banter between co workers turned into serious business

some of you guys are delusional

The playstation thing was a joke. But I bet you it has happened a lot. If they say it's getting old it must have happened more than a few times. I guess it's pretty easy to do. Just another reason not to plug in the kinect

MaulerX

The point of technology is to make things:

A) Possible
B) Better
C) Quicker/Easier

This is why the whole concept is weird, it takes less effort from a human to user their thumb on a remote controller/gamepad and switch something on/off, than it does by yelling commands or worse, waving their hands around to open up tabs/videos/games.

Its why i dont think this has the novelty that MS believes it has. The reason smartphones became big is because as they removed physical buttons, it allowed for a better and much bigger screen. Thus everything improved (except battery life) and that is where the market went. It seems like Microsoft wants to turn your HDTV into a giant smartphone with Siri

And speaking of Siri, the whole idea is a failure, barely anyone uses Siri for anything other than asking "her" (or it?) what she is wearing and getting smart one liners back.

Not true at all. I have my entertainment room set up in my second floor loft. Saying "Xbox on" from the first floor or while I'm walking up the steps and have the system ready to go is faster than me waiting to actually get there.

BBOY267

Neo Member
I mean you can just turn it off( voice commands) or unplug the kinect, as most people here seem to not like it anyway. but its just a fun tweet not to be really analyzed as it is

Bsigg12

Really? Why the switch after using ps3 so long?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.828469-Evo-2014-Announced-Switches-To-Xbox-360

The change to Xbox 360 is sure to be controversial to some, and it's unknown how this announcement will effect games that are currently exclusive to the PS3. The most likely reason for the change is the inconsistencies in performance the PS3 version of some games suffer, such as slowdowns in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 when there is a lot of activity on the screen, and the single-frame delay in the PS3 version of Street Fighter IV.

Sorry on mobile, this was the quickest thing I could find.

Zalman

You know for a fact there will be a video on youtube of some kid walking into the living room late at night while dad is trying to FINALLY get that lap done in under 1:20 in Forza.. "Daddy.. Why don't you ever turn the Xbox off?"
I can wait for the YouTube videos this will spawn.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't understand... wasn't it supposed to recognize your own voice, meaning if you're logged on your Live profile only your shouts get picked up by Kinect?

viveks86

This reminds of 2 things that MS promised:

1) "Xbox Off" command will require some form of confirmation (not sure what that is. Is that another voice command as well?)
2) Kinect will recognize who is speaking (Is this using the camera or using voice recognition?)

Hope these are available at launch, if not in the dev kits. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure there will be a 40 page thread on Gaf!

I don't understand... wasn't it supposed to recognize your own voice, meaning if you're logged on your Live profile only your shouts get picked up by Kinect?

Let's say it can do that. How accurate would it be? Sure it could tell the difference between me and a girl, but what about me and my brother? I don't know about that

Another reason to not hook up that Kinect trash. My GF saw that feature when the consoles were first hyped and was like yea you should get that! (insert evil smile)

Not buying a console this year but will test this feature at every retailers display model.
your girlfriend is a dick. lol

VanWinkle

This is not really the same thing, buy something regarding voice control on Xbox One. Imagine you're playing Call of Duty or some other online game. You'll constantly be hearing people go, "Xbox, record that!!" lol.

Stimpack

"Xbox, off!"

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. Please use the passphrase."

"Ugh... McDonald's..."

"That doesn't sound like you really want McDonald's, Dave."

"McDonald's!"

"Very good, Dave."

Top Bottom