• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac dev getting tired of coworkers yelling "Xbox OFF" over intercom

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14363-1381259006-28.gif

Reversed

If the system is 'intelligent' enough, it can disallow this voice command.

Hope the Xbox team doesn't have to stumble over a silly, silly situation like this.

CLEEK

Oh Microsoft. First they missed the obvious Xbone name, now this.

This was raised the very moment when they announced the "Xbox Off" functionality. How could they not have realised it would be an issue?

Vire

So what happens if you have voice chat coming through the speakers and some asshole yells "Xbox OFF"?

Sunset Overdrive delayed due to dicks.

Hahaha. If they were frustrated enough to make a public tweet about it I bet you its happened a ton of times. Should have stayed with playstation

I can see this being the next Jimmy Kimmel prank. Record your kids and friends as you turn off there xbones. I can't wait to do this to people

Real question this brings up

Will it be possible to turn off another person's xbox from a skype call?

That would be amazing

And what about games of COD?

They have to fix it

dengatron

Psycho mantis bossfight new mechanic where he uses your voice to shout xbox off, and if you don't mute the game fast enough, you lose.

So what happens if you have voice chat coming through the speakers and some asshole yells "Xbox OFF"?

shit haha, i bet that will be patched the first week since they haven't thought of that yet.

I can see lots of people saying "xbox off" to troll people playing the xbox one kiosks , welp

Replicant

"Xbox, stop peeping!"

"And NO! I didn't tell you to upload those videos!"

I'd love to see the face of the player when the console got switched off halfway through the game. XD

nampad

I was told it recognized your voice and this couldn't happen due to it. I was also told that everyone who had problems watching the Xbone presentation on their Xbox with Kinect just didn't configure their Xbox correctly.

So either I was lied to or the devs at Insomniac can't configure their consoles.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I was told it recognized your voice and this couldn't happen due to it. I was also told that everyone who had problems watching the Xbone presentation on their Xbox with Kinect just didn't configure their Xbox correctly.

So either I was lied to or the devs at Insomniac can't configure their consoles.

or they are dev kits running in-progress software?

Vire

Its probably still set up like the Xbox 360 where it requires a confirmation once the Xbox Off command has registered.

Still awful, some huge prompt blocking your screen while in a multiplayer match? And worse yet if you accidentally confirm it.

Who thought this was a good idea?

It's too bad Sony and Kevin Butler had a falling out, because I was thinking it'd be awesome if he appeared at the end of every PS4 ad to say, "XBox, off." :)

Now we know why they don't allow cross-platform play. ;)

Artorias

Banned

Didn't they say that about Kinect 1 as well? Because you could pretty easily mess with that one also, despite not having a profile on there.

Not that Kinect 1 is proof, but if the same exact thing is happening then I'm thinking this isn't the strictest of voice recognition.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
There's no way it just turns off right? There must be a dialog confirmation. If not...wow. lol

bidguy

Banned
Hope this won't ruin Insomniac's relationship with Microsoft.

Hahaha. If they were frustrated enough to make a public tweet about it I bet you its happened a ton of times. Should have stayed with playstation

I can see this being the next Jimmy Kimmel prank. Record your kids and friends as you turn off there xbones. I can't wait to do this to people

friendly banter between co workers turned into serious business

some of you guys are delusional

Bsigg12

Still awful, some huge prompt blocking your screen while in a multiplayer match? And worse yet if you accidentally confirm it.

Who thought this was a good idea?

I bet you can't actually turn it off in game. It probably requires you to be on the dash screen for it to allow the command.

Sounds like something that would only be funny once.

Unless the second time you set a prerecording of you saying it, then set it up while someone was playing a survival horror so it both scared them, and ruined their progress.

MaulerX

To be fair he gave a vague response when asked if it worked. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Into

The point of technology is to make things:

A) Possible
B) Better
C) Quicker/Easier

This is why the whole concept is weird, it takes less effort from a human to user their thumb on a remote controller/gamepad and switch something on/off, than it does by yelling commands or worse, waving their hands around to open up tabs/videos/games.

Its why i dont think this has the novelty that MS believes it has. The reason smartphones became big is because as they removed physical buttons, it allowed for a better and much bigger screen. Thus everything improved (except battery life) and that is where the market went. It seems like Microsoft wants to turn your HDTV into a giant smartphone with Siri

And speaking of Siri, the whole idea is a failure, barely anyone uses Siri for anything other than asking "her" (or it?) what she is wearing and getting smart one liners back.

Top Bottom