• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant |SPOILER THREAD| With more Christian subtext than BvS

PolishQ

Seeing what David did to the engineers in this movie, it makes a bit more sense in hindsight why the engineer in Prometheus was trying to wipe out Earth. Perhaps the engineers have had experience with artificial intelligence themselves and determined that AIs are inherently a threat to biological life. Any civilization that has developed the necessary technology must be destroyed.

Just returned from a viewing with the gf. The movie was entertaining and well acted. Thays where my praise stops. The plot was extremely contrived and required the cast to pretty much be idiots. Same plothole pitfalls as Prometheus. Im done with the series if Scott is at the helm.

JP_

Banned
I assume it's already been covered, but... where did David's wound under his jaw go? Did David transfer his consciousness into Walter? Was that what the kiss was for or what?

It's really hard to believe that they didn't realize it was David all along. The fact his face wounds didn't heal by themselves was a BIG FUCKING hint. Another thing is mother, the ship AI. How it didn't recognize that it wasn't Walter? I am pretty sure there is a serial number printed somewhere, or it somehow interfaces with the ship systems. It's only thing it pisses me off.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's really hard to believe that they didn't realize it was David all along. The fact his face wounds didn't heal by themselves was a BIG FUCKING hint. Another thing is mother, the ship AI. How it didn't recognize that it wasn't Walter? I am pretty sure there is a serial number printed somewhere, or it somehow interfaces with the ship systems. It's only thing it pisses me off.

Tennessee turned Mother off.

MickeyPhree

Holy fuck was that awful. Huge fan of the series; this is barely Resurrection level. Aliens were barely in it, engineers barely in it, cgi sucked. Fuck Ridley Scott.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever problems the movie had, the CGI wasn't one of the imo.

Was this ever supposed to be in the movie?

I'm not sure if it would've fit in any point in the movie but it feels like it adds a good bit of context to who these characters are. Def feels like it's a must watch before seeing the final movie.

I thought I heard it was created specifically for promotional purposes? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry if this was already asked, but where did that Shaw gif come from?

More on topic: I haven't seen the movie yet, and I plan to regardless of spoilers. I've seen some YouTube reviews, and out of 5, one one liked it.

Movie was extremely frustrating. There were a lot of parts that I enjoyed but the characters were stupid as hell. I guess it was an ok movie overall but man, this wasn't a huge improvement over Prometheus.

MickeyPhree

Man, I can understand disliking the movie but this? This I don't get at all.

I thought the cgi creature effects were poor, but the ship's and landscapes looked good.

The alien chestburster raising it's arms to David was one of the hockiest scenes I've ever seen in a film.

Just seriously poor.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
And I haven't read the rest of this thread but please tell me I wasn't the only one that laughed at the "I'll do the fingering" line from David.

People in my theater were attentive to that line, yes.

JP_

Banned
There's a scene in the movie where the Alien is going down a ladder or something and it pretty much clips through the floor. lol

Bunny-escape-from-cage.gif

ExVicis

And I haven't read the rest of this thread but please tell me I wasn't the only one that laughed at the "I'll do the fingering" line from David.
Suprisingly no. Everyone in my theater did laugh when Oram went down into the Egg Chamber and David said "Don't worry it's perfectly safe"

J_Viper

That was insanely underwhelming. The Xeno was in this for what, ten minutes?

Great acting and visuals, but damn what a letdown

Rktk

I'm really glad I hadn't come to this thread prior to seeing it since it certainly did have some thrilling scenes, some good horror. I think reading so many opinions before you have formed your own is a bad idea - indeed if you care about a film you might want to avoid all discussion and trailers. Many a problem but I don't dislike it, I thought it was pretty good fun.

People in my actively groaned. I shook my head because I agreed.

I rolled my eyes, there were some chuckles in the audience though.

More on topic: I haven't seen the movie yet, and I plan to regardless of spoilers. I've seen some YouTube reviews, and out of 5, one one liked it.

Well it's hovering over 70% on tomatometer, which will be higher than Wonder Woman....?

Alien and Aliens were my childhood favourites for sci-fi horror. Looks like I'll be giving Covenant a pass.

Why would you enter a spoiler thread for a fanchise you care about?

JP_

Banned
Wait what? Then what the hell is this movie like for the rest of it?

There are other mutations featured. Not sure what he expected... afaik, this is like, just the start of the xenomorph so it makes sense it wouldn't be full of it like the old movies. It's more horror than I remember Prometheus but it's still mostly about the backstory.

J_Viper

There are other mutations featured. Not sure what he expected... afaik, this is like, just the start of the xenomorph so it makes sense it wouldn't be full of it like the old movies

Idk man, the Xeno is right on the poster, the commercials, and implied in the name of the movie lol

The violence is great though, there just wasn't enough of it. Hell, there's zero tension whatsoever after the shower scene.

I have to sit and think about this one for a bit. I'm disappointed just now leaving the theatre, but I kinda want to watch it again with appropriate expectations.

Jigolo

oh no :(

I didn't like it all that much. Pretty boring and characters were a bit dumb. I don't know how I feel about Fassbender either. Shit makes no sense to me

Prometheus was the better movie. There has to be at least one more prequel because the eggs they found in Alien around the engineer ship were not in this movie

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
What are the chances of the engineers coming back in subsequent films after Scott soured on Prometheus? Are we to assume David wiped them ALL out in one fell swoop? It's almost like they weren't a super advanced civilization with Magical God Goop technology!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What are the chances of the engineers coming back in subsequent films after Scott soured on Prometheus? Are we to assume David wiped them ALL out in one fell swoop? It's almost like they weren't a super advanced civilization with Magical God Goop technology!

I don't know much about the Alien lore so I was a bit confused by this as well. This mega advanced civilization were all on one planet and one building?

[edit]

Also, the planet didn't have any animals, is the implication that the proto-xenomorph killed everything? I was under the impression they only went after humans.

Jigolo

What makes the xenomorphs such a perfect species anyways
Well David might be a bit biased since he considers them his children but in a way they are perfect killing machines.... not necessarily the perfect species. In Alien within the context of the movie they seemed unstoppable from the facehugger to the xenomorph which is why I think Ash believed they were "perfect".

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Quick question - is it actually implied in the movie that David killed the entire engineer race? Like they should obviously be on a lot of other planets right??

Rktk

I don't know much about the Alien lore so I was a bit confused by this as well. This mega advanced civilization were all on one planet and one building?

It did seem as if their entire civilisation was being wiped out, I get that there could be more but that seemed to be what was happening?

The movie shits on the Space Jockey, Aliens, Prometheus the Alien itself and most likely the original Alien film whenever we get the film leading into that.

Two of them got outsmarted by Katherine Waterson and Danny McBride. I'm surprised David didn't drop dead of embarrassment.

David wasn't even that smart he was just fortunate he had a dumb crew to deal with.

Zekes!

Well David might be a bit biased since he considers them his children but in a way they are perfect killing machines.... not necessarily the perfect species. In Alien within the context of the movie they seemed unstoppable from the facehugger to the xenomorph which is why I think Ash believed they were "perfect".

Yeah, and that's such a boring ass reason for them to be perfect though. Plus they need other hosts to reproduce, which is like a huuuuuge achilles heel by itself. If the Covenant crew weren't fucking idiots and never came by then David could've been sitting there for eternity with his dumb eggs and playing his flute

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Also, the planet didn't have any animals, is the implication that the proto-xenomorph killed everything? I was under the impression they only went after humans.

I wondered the same thing. Why are there no animals? Couldn't have been the neomorphs or whatever since those arrived with David. Also what did the engineers eat? Wheat?

Mr Swine

Banned

I think the company saw that they where the "perfect" organism, hence they sent Ash with the Nostromo. There must be a reason why Weiland Yutani stopped making Androids that where distinguished by being more robotic than human. Walter himself said that David caused people to feel uncomfortable since he was more human like

I thought this movie was okay, but not better than Prometheus. At least in Prometheus, there was a sense of "unknown" with the Engineers and whatever the Alien was.

This movie it seems like everyone is an idiot, why were couples allowed to run the Covenant??, why did Billy Crudup's character follow David and walk towards the egg without thinking he was up to something sinister? He just shed a tear for a Neomorp. How did Dany know that the Alien's blood would "leak straight through the hull"? How the fuck, did Dany not suspect that Walter may in fact be David? They are the same model and they were just in a cliche evil/good twin battle...you already know that he has a sinister plan to impregnate you with an alien embryo, why would you just take the chance that Walter may or may not be David....this HAS to be the thing that makes the Covenant cast of characters dumber than the Prometheus cast of characters,

I was legit excited for this movie and left as underwhelmed as the people who hated Prometheus. There isn't even a character as likable as Shaw....like I can't even.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Just came back from watching, and this is the exact thing I was thinking of. EVEN IF David was able to hack into the system in the downtime after McBride's character stated he shut things off, that still seems hella convenient. IIRC David had command codes in Prometheus, and being a 'son' of Weyland might give him hardwired codes, but the quoted is still a huge, huge oversight.

Also, if David is somehow (presumably) still out there (after having murdered the rest of the crew and the colonists on his random star travels in an attempt to eliminate all organic life), how has Weyland-Yutani never encountered him by the time Ripley and the Nostromo land on LV-426 or w/e.

Not a big fan of Shaw somehow getting off-screen fridged by David either, tbh.

Or why Captain Orrim or w/e would suddenly pull a "I'm stupid" and believe David, follow him down into the alien nest, and then look over the damn opening egg.

Basically everything from one of those '10 things that make Alien:Covenant Stupid' lists is a giant issue.

Just came back from watching, and this is the exact thing I was thinking of. EVEN IF David was able to hack into the system in the downtime after McBride's character stated he shut things off, that still seems hella convenient. IIRC David had command codes in Prometheus, and being a 'son' of Weyland might give him hardwired codes, but the quoted is still a huge, huge oversight.

Also, if David is somehow (presumably) still out there (after having murdered the rest of the crew and the colonists on his random star travels in an attempt to eliminate all organic life), how has Weyland-Yutani never encountered him by the time Ripley and the Nostromo land on LV-426 or w/e.

Not a big fan of Shaw somehow getting off-screen fridged by David either, tbh.

Or why Captain Orrim or w/e would suddenly pull a "I'm stupid" and believe David, follow him down into the alien nest, and then look over the damn opening egg.

Basically everything from one of those '10 things that make Alien:Covenant Stupid' lists is a giant issue.

Mother doesn't know the difference between Walter and David.

The Captian doesn't know what an egg is or what is inside of it. The audience knows but that's the whole point of that scene.

Walter healing himself isn't fully figured out. His hand didn't grow back so the difference between permanent damage and otherwise isn't really established.

sirap

The Captian doesn't know what an egg is or what is inside of it. The audience knows but that's the whole point of that scene.

I don't know man, if I'm being stalked by a murderous alien on an unknown planet, the last thing I'll do is peer inside a giant egg that opens up on itself.

Jinroh

Also, if David is somehow (presumably) still out there
Why? There are other movie(s) to be released. Nothing suggests he's still out there yet. As far as I know Ridley is still planning to link it to the original alien. So there will be more David and at least one more engineer.

N7.Angel

Seeing what David did to the engineers in this movie, it makes a bit more sense in hindsight why the engineer in Prometheus was trying to wipe out Earth. Perhaps the engineers have had experience with artificial intelligence themselves and determined that AIs are inherently a threat to biological life. Any civilization that has developed the necessary technology must be destroyed.

Mass Effect, is that you ?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Okay, but we literally just saw the captain tell David "I've seen the devil, and I really want to shoot you".

Yet....he doesn't worry he's being sent into a trap? Especially when David tells him to 'go ahead and look inside?'

Even before he looks in, we see him holding up his flashlight, with the gun either at his side or put down entirely.

Why? There are other movie(s) to be released. Nothing suggests he's still out there yet. As far as I know Ridley is still planning to link it to the original alien. So there will be more David and at least one more engineer.

The next movie is (purportedly) a prequel to this one, and after that.....who knows if Scott will even get around to it.

IIRC the Blomkampf movie was cancelled/shelved, but if it resurfaces, we've still got to work that one in as well.

My guess is that any planet with a breathable atmosphere is linked to Engineers. So where they are heading may just be perfect to find them.

That said I could probably write the series out of the hole it is in.

I do wish there was a sequence with her vs David to cap the movie off instead of the horror cliche of losing at the end.

I thought this movie was okay, but not better than Prometheus. At least in Prometheus, there was a sense of "unknown" with the Engineers and whatever the Alien was.

This movie it seems like everyone is an idiot, why were couples allowed to run the Covenant??
It makes sense considering they are a group of people leaving on a trip to establish a permanent human colony in deep space that they are never returning from. They're largely expected to reproduce.
, why did Billy Crudup's character follow David and walk towards the egg without thinking he was up to something sinister? He just shed a tear for a Neomorp.
This scene and the back burster needed serious rewrites, I agree.

How did Dany know that the Alien's blood would "leak straight through the hull"?

After crushing the first xenomorph she saw how it's blood melted the ship's crane.

How the fuck, did Dany not suspect that Walter may in fact be David? They are the same model and they were just in a cliche evil/good twin battle...you already know that he has a sinister plan to impregnate you with an alien embryo, why would you just take the chance that Walter may or may not be David....this HAS to be the thing that makes the Covenant cast of characters dumber than the Prometheus cast of characters,
I agree. Everyone in the audience has this suspicion. There should at least be a scene where David manages to pass a test that he's Walter.

I was legit excited for this movie and left as underwhelmed as the people who hated Prometheus. There isn't even a character as likable as Shaw....like I can't even.

What is it with the sudden Shaw love? She's been rightfully lambasted for years as one of the dumbest, unlikable and worst protagonists in a modern blockbuster.

Top Bottom