• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Haha yeah. I wish I had the guts of Metts in playing Fire Emblem. By the end of an FE game, I've lost count on how many times I reset. There is something great about losing a character, having your hand forced, and fixing your strategy minutely or even having to do a complete overhaul of how you go about a map. Some people may call it archaic design but that is half of the fun of Fire Emblem - having to worry about the characters.

Haha yeah. I wish I had the guts of Metts in playing Fire Emblem. By the end of an FE game, I've lost count on how many times I reset. There is something great about losing a character, having your hand forced, and fixing your strategy minutely or even having to do a complete overhaul of how you go about a map. Some people may call it archaic design but that is half of the fun of Fire Emblem - having to worry about the characters.
I just wanted a way to beef up characters safely or make mistakes less disastrous. Maybe by only giving you 1/2 exp in an optional non-death training mode or having some cash or exp penalty for reviving a character. Heck, losing a bucketload of cash and a character level for dying seems like a better system than outright death.

As a side note, the MU Plus subscription was worth it for the Hans Fugar / overlapping time cave saga alone.

speedpop

I just wanted a way to beef up characters safely or make mistakes less disastrous. Maybe by only giving you 1/2 exp in an optional non-death training mode or having some cash or exp penalty for reviving a character. Heck, losing a bucketload of cash and a character level for dying seems like a better system than outright death.

As a side note, the MU Plus subscription was worth it for the Hans Fugar / overlapping time cave saga alone.

To face death, you must first embrace it!

As for MU Plus, it seemed to naturally transgress in to a state where the typical midweek podcasts became a bore and the Plus editions on the weekend were what you really looked forward to. They recently threw up a Facebook poll asking what the listeners/readers wanted so it should be interesting to see if the listeners advocate for a more strict MU process during the midweek rather than allow the current norm of whoever is plugging their latest paranormal book/website/shirt to appear on the show and dribble for an hour or two.

Anyway Jonathon's voice is reminiscent of a friend I used to play WoW with. And I, at first hearing, disliked James but he is slowly superseding Greg as my favourite talker.

Ondore

We have 283. We have Last Story. And Jonny's buying games again!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/29516
Episode 283 - "I Am Impact!" said:
This week's show begins with Jonny celebrating the completion of his New Year's resolution. In addition to the inevitable praise for Mass Effect 3, he also catches up with Minis March Again for DSiWare and finally completes the main quest in Skyrim. More importantly to most of our listeners, James has extensive impressions for The Last Story, which he just imported from Europe. It's a great chance to learn more about the Wii RPG being published by XSEED in America this summer. Jon, always a fan of obscure Japanese shoot-em-ups (or "shmups"), delivers with DoDonPachi Maximum for Windows Phone 7, of all platforms. Greg completes the foursome with his long-awaited experience with Goemon's Great Adventure, one of the few (and best) 2D platformers for Nintendo 64.

In Listener Mail, we deal with a typically excellent batch of questions from our enlightened listeners. What are the implications of Wii U supporting just one or multiple tablet controllers? Why are Pokemon Black & White 2 being released for DS, and what happens to the young audience when the series finally jumps to 3DS? And how can Nintendo overcome the increasingly oppressive inertia of some of its storied franchises being dormant for one or more generations, even as their audience grows and changes much more rapidly? We'd love to hear your own questions and comments, so please do write in!

Time: 1'42"29
Direct downloads: mp3 | AAC

Since this thread, I've been listening to this on a weekly basis.

I recall an earlier episode where Four Swords Anniversary came in to question-or who developed it. Grezzo did the port, not TOSE. :)

JoeFu

Banned
I can't wait to hear Mass Effect 3 ending impressions from Metts! Especially after what he was saying about the game this week.

speedpop

I hate you guys for making this thread and getting me hooked on it. I'm up to episode 112 but I want to listen to 283. Will have to do this at a rational pace.

The song is called "I Am Impact" from Ganbare Goemon 64 (Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon). The full cut-scene with English subtitles is worth seeing for yourself!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEE66AMzGNg&feature=related
what-did-i-just-watch.jpg

Ondore

284 is out with a special guest: Billy! (Or Plan B, if you prefer).
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/29556

Episode 284 "BB Action" said:
James had to miss the first part of this episode, which provided us a perfect excuse to bring in Billy Berghammer for the first time in a good while. He just got back from GDC and got to play Mario Tennis Open, the upcoming 3DS revival for that sports series. Billy also describes his extensive StreetPass encounters at the conference. Greg is up next, explaining how and why he finally picked up Cave Story 3D; he also delivers impressions of the new English demo for Sega's hotly anticipated Rhythm Thief. Jon has an update on Super Mario 3D Land and also steers us into a critique of Swapnote now that the surprise and freshness has worn off. Jonny completes the segment with a trio of downloadable titles: Mutant Mudds and Zen Pinball 3D from the eShop, and the astounding game called Journey from PlayStation Network, which Billy has also played but somewhat less reverently.

James boards the RFN Express with a bang for the back half, in which we break from any typical format to address two special topics. The first is Billy's recent foray into the shadowy world of game consulting, in which publishers pay him to provide outside feedback, such as writing "mock reviews" that none of us will ever read. The second big story for this segment is the gaming media shake-up that occurred last week. Giant Bomb was purchased by CBS Interactive to reunite that gang with their former employers at GameSpot, while 1up was further gutted by lay-offs for some very high-profile writers, including ex-NWR writer Ryan Winterhalter. While the shake-ups weren't all good news, it was rather perfect timing that these events transpired on the very day that we had a veteran like Billy on the show.

Time: 1'22"11
Downloads: mp3 | AAC

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Good to hear about Mario Tennis, but I too an sort of wishy washy on it all. I'm happy they are fixing the power shot stuff that killed the cube version, but at the same time I'm not sure if a barebones version just with online play is enough. Maybe on sale? Yeah, but count me into the BBAction camp of not being totally sold at $40.

Also that Sega rhythm game wasn't on my radar. Now after hearing Greg talk about it I'm hoping the US also gets a demo!

Its really hard for any 3DS to justify a $40 price tag imo. Even the cream of the crop like OoT 3D, SM3DL and MK7 would be much more reasonable at $30-$35.

zroid

Banned
First Mario Tennis game I'm not all that hyped about. Pretty sad...

Side effect of too many games between now and May.

First Mario Tennis game I'm not all that hyped about. Pretty sad...

Side effect of too many games between now and May.
I'm just hoping there's more to Mario Tennis than what we've seen so far. I'll probably buy it either way though, it is one of those series' (minus the GC one) that I find to be pure fun in its simplicity, kind of like Mario Kart.

zroid

Banned
I'm just hoping there's more to Mario Tennis than what we've seen so far. I'll probably buy it either way though, it is one of those series' (minus the GC one) that I find to be pure fun in its simplicity, kind of like Mario Kart.

Yeah, no question I will buy it. I love the Mario Tennis games, with or without RPG mode. Just not too sure right now if I will splurge at launch for 40 bucks.

Their thoughts on Swapnote are spot on. It's so close to being good. SO CLOSE.
I agree that they "Nintendo'd" it. They work in too much of a vacuum and don't allow outside ideas from coming in at all. It seems like their attitude is "If it wasn't made by us first, we'll ignore it".

That attitude helps them come up with new and original ideas, but it also holds them back in many ways.

It always makes me laugh, seeing US people complaining about game pricing. :p

anyway, good episode, but kinda short.

You're not wrong. Heading to Canada in a few months and while there (or in LA) I'm planning to stock up on games.

Then again, it's about what you're used to paying. $40 for 3D Land or OoT sounds like a bargain to me, but retail here for a DS game was $70 for the entirety of last generation. Console games are $100 - $120.

Henke

What was that bizarre mouse thing all about half way through? I don't know if it's been regular in the past (I've only heard the last dozen or so eps) but it made me want to throw my iPhone out the window of the bus I was on. Still, the podcast was great overall, as usual.

What was that bizarre mouse thing all about half way through? I don't know if it's been regular in the past (I've only heard the last dozen or so eps) but it made me want to throw my iPhone out the window of the bus I was on. Still, the podcast was great overall, as usual.
It's making fun of how convoluted the plots of those 3D movies that Namco puts with their 3DS releases are.

The Pacman movie said the origin of the ghosts were spirits from hell that had risen because they wanted bodily hosts...and only Pacman can stop them.

Suzzopher

Just remembered to post this. If you're new to RFN, you should check out this Special episode: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcast/rfnspecial-e32k1.mp3

This special episode of Radio Free Nintendo is actually compiled from four separate audio files that I recently found on my hard drive. In May 2001, I returned to Los Angeles for my second trip to the Electronic Entertainment Expo. That year's E3 would be my first time attending with a group, as a staff member of Planet GameCube (now Nintendo World Report). It was also the first time anyone had played GameCube, the American debut of Game Boy Advance, and my first experience at a Nintendo press conference.

You'll hear about all of these experiences and much more in this four-part "audio diary" that I recorded long before podcasts existed as a concept. You also get to hear my innate Southern accent, before years of being around non-Southerners gradually suppressed it. I hope this blast from the past will be an exciting prelude to E3 2011, which has many overt parallels to that heady time of one decade ago. Please excuse the poor audio quality -- my equipment and recording technology has come a long way in the past ten years!

SmithnCo

I could only listen for 5 minutes. Most annoying and childish podcast, ever. Just terrible.

Hm, I hope you're joking. If you aren't you have to give any podcast more than the first five minutes, which is likely going to be the hosts joking around or something. This is one of my favorite gaming podcasts because the hosts really dig into specific areas of games and know what they're talking about, so I'd suggest listening to one of the in-depth discussions they have like the Super Metroid episode.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I don't think the guys on RFN are very funny (especially versus Giant Bomb and P1P), but they're very level headed and intelligent.

Also, heavy Southern accent Jonny is the best Jonny.

Ondore

Episode 285: Don't let the title fool you.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/29660
Episode 285: We're Finished! said:
Jonny couldn't make it to recording this week, so Greg pulls himself up into the RFN host's throne and welcomes back Guillaume Veillette of the Negative World Podcast to round out the crew. After being absent from the first segment last week, James leads off New Business with his final verdict on The Last Story, which is quite positive, but not unreservedly so. Next, Guillaume takes his turn with a duo of Intelligent Systems strategy games, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, before he and Jon trade war stories from downloadable HD shmups Soldner-X 2 and Sine Mora. Greg completes the segment by looking at every single game in the 26 year history of the Kid Icarus franchise, starting with early impressions of the new 3DS stunner Uprising before comparing and contrasting the two classic entries that are available on Virtual Console (at least in Europe).

After the break, we reach back into the Listener Mail reserves to once again find a bevy of thought-provoking letters on a broad range of topics, beginning with concern for Wii U's commercial prospects in the absence of a marked technical edge over its competitors. We also answer questions on console/portable preferences, reviewing games that are drastically improved by peripherals, which Nintendo franchises stand to benefit most from DLC, and unusual control schemes that may work but still hinder your experience.

Time: 2'03"22
Download links: mp3 | AAC

Episode 286 coming later today is one of my favorites in quite a while. Next week is our third annual PAX East live panel! Please come check it out and introduce yourself to us. We'll have a very limited supply of prizes for those who ask the best questions during Q&A.

Cool. The episodes always seem to come out about an hour after I leave for work, which typically means it will have to wait until the next day to get listened to. Damn those timezones!

Ondore

286: The very rare Double British episode.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/29702
Episode 286: Jill In The Box said:
The crew is back together for this last episode before PAX East, but Jonny is immediately caught off guard by an unexpected voice -- it's Karlie Yeung! She came to America early for next week's convention and joined James at the microphone to break the curse of female guests on RFN, as you'll hear explained.

For New Business, Jonny catches up with Crush 3D, the stealth-released puzzle/platformer from Sega that may be worth your time to seek out. He also revisits Mutant Mudds (demo now available on the eShop) and tests the hypothesis that Rhythm Heaven Fever can be just as much fun to watch as it is to play. James and Karlie co-author audio impressions of Dokapon Kingdom, the bizarre party-RPG that turns out to be even weirder than anyone could expect. Jon didn't have any new games to bring up, so Greg wraps the segment. He mentions the extensive GAME store closures throughout the UK before continuing his adaptation to and enjoyment of Kid Icarus: Uprising, one of the most controversial Nintendo releases in quite a while.

After the break, we take an oblique approach to the Mass Effect 3 debate by examining the broader topic of game endings. The conversation spans endings retro to recent, Nintendo and otherwise, and we discover a few interesting truths about why games have endings, how they differ from other media, and why some are effective while others fail. It's a fun feature, but we still have enough time left to address a pair of questions for Listener Mail. One proposes a new review scoring method, while the other asks us to prioritize a gaming backlog. Send your own email questions so we'll have more to answer next time!

Don't forget that next weekend is PAX East, so there won't be a normal episode of RFN. Instead, we'll be live and in person at the Arachnid Theater for our third annual panel. If you can't make the trip this year, don't worry -- we'll record the panel and get it online as soon as possible. Also, stay tuned for details coming extremely soon on the long-awaited RFN shirt that will make its public debut at PAX East. We'll soon have details on how you can get your own for a reasonable price and show your support for the podcast without the pain or commitment of a tattoo!

Finally, it is time to spin up for the next RetroActive feature. We'll focus on WiiWare this round, so head over to the poll to view the nominated games and vote for the one you'd like us to play and discuss together on a future episode!
Time: 1'57"19
Direct downloads: mp3 | AAC

Top Bottom