• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic announced for 9/29, $80, 21 games, has Star Fox 2 [more units than NESC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? No Classic Virtual Boy?
People joked about 20 titles being the entire Saturn library in another thread but 20 would literally exceed the total worldwide VB release list, IIRC.

Edit: Wikipedia tells me 24 games made it out into the wild, though some are basically impossible to find (namely Space Invaders).

panda-zebra

So, did any of the Amazon UK orders from US get cancelled?

No confirmation of that yet. I'd just like to know why my Amazon UK order seemed to vanish into thin air... it all looked to have gone through, but no email arrived unlike every other Amazon order ever, and looking into open orders... there's nothing there. Foook!

Link_enfant

Surely I'm not the only one who missed the Amazon US preorder.
Do we know if it'll be available soon again?
Also, is it available on Amazon JP yet?

ToonLink

Hopefully.

Haha. I feel somewhat responsible for all of the British people who didn't get to pre-order yet, since I posted the link. >_<

No confirmation of that yet. I'd just like to know why my Amazon UK order seemed to vanish into thin air... it all looked to have gone through, but no email arrived unlike every other Amazon order ever, and looking into open orders... there's nothing there. Foook!

Mine's still good. That said, I'll be cancelling it if I come across a US version.

Hmm, okay. If it hasn't been cancelled yet, they probably won't be cancelled. I know at least one order has been cancelled already, for a different reason, though.

Floex

original.jpg

That boxart still looks modern today as it did back then.

Everyone who bitches about the limited stock of the NES mini just take a look at this thread, how fast it's moving, and the means we will go to get the snes mini. It's obvious Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to retro hardware.
Not selling as much as they could?

The limited availability isn't making it more appealing.

Everyone who bitches about the limited stock of the NES mini just take a look at this thread, how fast it's moving, and the means we will go to get the snes mini. It's obvious Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to retro hardware.

Your logic is flawed. If they are making a profit on each one (presumably they are), then limiting quantities just limits their profit. If they were still shipping NES classics today, they would still sell. Nintendo gets no money from the grey market (unless tinfoil hat time - Ninemtendo IS the scalpers using thousands of dummy accounts lol).

suuuuure
:p

Haha, I'm getting it to gift it to a friend
and subsequently play it with him
so on one hand I guess it would be cool to get him the European version of what's already going to be a very hard to find holiday item, but on the other hand I think going the nostalgia route and getting him the version that he grew up with is ultimately the better option.

So y'all Brits better help me out if you want me to relinquish this round-edged abomination! :p

Raitaro

Yes, fully finished but never released.

I've always wondered if there could be more cases like this on NES or SNES where they almost finished a game but then pulled the plug. Could there in other words be more "Star Fox 2's" that we don't know about?

liquidtmd

Banned

Yeah I caught that but

"It was the summer of 1995 and the PlayStation and Saturn were suddenly doing very well in Japan," Cuthbert said. "I think that caught Nintendo off-guard. The decision was made because they didn't want the old-gen 3D going up against the much better 3D of the next generation, side-by-side.”

That's a bit of a shit reason to can a 95-100% done game isn't it, especially a sequel to a commercially successful game

Jay Sosa

Haha, I'm getting it to gift it to a friend
and subsequently play it with him
so on one hand I guess it would be cool to get him the European version of what's already going to be a very hard to find holiday item, but on the other hand I think going the nostalgia route and getting him the version that he grew up with is ultimately the better option.

So y'all Brits better help me out if you want me to relinquish this round-edged abomination! :p

It's a free market, have fun with your european snes.
got my preorder in yesterday, so no reason for me to be salty

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
LTTP; Why?

StarFox 2 had all-range mode 3D, and while it was fine for the SNES, it was a bit behind the coming gen. It seems like Nintendo didn't want to undermine the appeal of full 3D on the upcoming N64.

Yeah I caught that but

That's a bit of a shit reason to can a 95-100% done game isn't it, especially a sequel to a commercially successful game
I mean just because it wasn't a good reason doesn't mean it isn't the reason. Dylan would have the firsthand insight to make that statement.

BocoDragon

Another reason might just be that Nintendo's wasn't hurting for good games in 1995. Yoshi's Island, DKC2, Kirby's Super Star, etc.

BocoDragon

I've always wondered if there could be more cases like this on NES or SNES where they almost finished a game but then pulled the plug. Could there in other words be more "Star Fox 2's" that we don't know about?

There is also:

NES SimCity.

SNES Sound Fantasy (aka Sound Factory). Used the mouse. Kind of a sequel to Mario Paint and predecessor to Elektroplankton.

So.. this was available in amazon UK, but gone instantly? I tried last evening when I saw this thread and couldn't find anything.

I would kind of prefer the french version anyway - I much prefer the looks of the super famicom and that's what we got in france - does anyone know if it went up already on amazon.fr?

edit: ah, the uk got the same as well? fuck.

sfried

It's not so shit especially when you consider what Sega was doing to Nintendo back in the 90's with its ads blatantly saying Genesis does what Nintendon't. SF2 would still be indirectly compared and used as leverage.

JayBabay

Exactly. I'm already resigning myself to not getting one (1 exactly for me to actually use and not flip). It's been a bad last 12 months for me being able to give Nintendo my money.

I've been on the lucky end, managing to grab a New 3DS XL last fall when they were no where to be found, then bought into the hype and nabbed a New 3DS (non XL) in that Black Friday madness, managed a NES Classic Edition because of an alert that I happened upon 10 minutes late for Best Buy but still got one through. Then the Switch wasn't bad but I wasn't convinced I wanted one just yet and still was able to get it a week after launch and only then realized these were another very scarce item.

At this point, my patience continues but my stress from trying to buy Nintendo products is catching up, seriously. I was better off when I skipped the WiiU generation and didn't have to think twice about any of this. I'm sorry for anyone that's been dealing with this for longer, especially through any Amiibo supply constraints.

ToonLink

So.. this was available in amazon UK, but gone instantly? I tried last evening when I saw this thread and couldn't find anything.

I would kind of prefer the french version anyway - I much prefer the looks of the super famicom and that's what we got in france - does anyone know if it went up already on amazon.fr?

edit: ah, the uk got the same as well? fuck.

Only Amazon UK have put it up so far. You still have a chance to pre-order it from other European Amazon sites.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ordered a 2 pack of controller extension cables to go with my PAL Super NES mini.

Should have got them already for my NES mini really, but ended up playing my Analogue NT instead, so never bothered. Getting them today, so will need to whip out the NES mini now.

The game list is great, but it doesn't cater much to the games I played when the system was out. LTTP is still one of my favorite games of all time, but outside that the only games that interest me are Mario Kart, Mario RPG, and Earthbound. Would love it if Nintendo could up the cost slightly but allow you to order them through Nintendo directly and pick a la carte style which games you wanted. Obviously that would be a logistical nightmare, but a man can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom