• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic announced for 9/29, $80, 21 games, has Star Fox 2 [more units than NESC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy Duck

Seems as though those lucky to get it from Smyths are in for a little bargain, price on their site is now £79.99 so obviosuly was a pricing error to start with.

Celine

I've always wondered if there could be more cases like this on NES or SNES where they almost finished a game but then pulled the plug. Could there in other words be more "Star Fox 2's" that we don't know about?
Could be but not as famous.
The other Super FX games that got cancelled in 1995 (Comanches, FX Fighter) may have been close to completion.

If I had to guess Albert Odyssey Gaiden was close to completion before being moved to Saturn (Albert Odyssey Legend of Eldean) since there was already printed ad.

I also think Virtua Fighter 3 really exists for Sega Saturn.

"It was the summer of 1995 and the PlayStation and Saturn were suddenly doing very well in Japan," Cuthbert said. "I think that caught Nintendo off-guard. The decision was made because they didn't want the old-gen 3D going up against the much better 3D of the next generation, side-by-side.”

Someone should quote this to Nintendo regarding them releasing a Metroid on 3DS this year.
Yes, still buying it of course!

ToonLink

The EU version looks fantastic. Does anyone know if UK preorders have started anywhere and from which retailers?

Amazon UK, GAME and Smyths Toys have taken some pre-orders so far (which are sold out for now). Nintendo UK Store hasn't yet, though. Keep an eye out today and over the next few days. You can sign up for email alerts here:

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/ninten...mini-super-nintendo-entertainment-system.list

FYI as someone who pre-orders frequently from them, they seem to usually put up pre-orders between 2-4pm.

Celine

That's a bit of a shit reason to can a 95-100% done game isn't it, especially a sequel to a commercially successful game
Not when StarFox 64 became the best selling game in the series (and therefore the best selling shmups ever made) just two years later.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Hm, right... Well, like I said, I'm expecting 995 SEK. Going over that would make it seem really expensive.

Placed two seperate orders on Webhallen. I'm a sucker so I'll pay whatever price they demand. I want my child to grow up with the SNES classics.

Was really lucky getting a hold of the NES Mini from Webhallen. Was picking up a new pair of headphones and they got a surprise shipment the same day. Not even going to try to imagine that the same kind of luck happens twice.

This thread has been quite the roller coaster ride and it's been a real treat, but I simply have to get some sleep before work. Good luck all! I'm sure US preorders will begin shortly after I log out and be gone in under ten minutes, after all it wouldn't be a limited item from NoA if it wasn't all botted out by scalpers in the same amount of time it takes to boil an egg. Reggie and his family gonna eat well this season.

Minor thought: It would probably be unreasonable, but it would be cute if the Cartridge-Eject lever/button functioned as a button to go from a game back to the game-select menu of the device OS, with the same proportionate give as the original system's eject button had, but that would probably be too toy-like for the device so they'll keep it to the reset button like NES Classic Mini.

Celine

2 Star Fox games but no Chrono Trigger or Terranigma? :(
I am a very big fan of Terranigma and Quintet in general but I understand why these games weren't included (Quintet simply isn't as known as SquareSoft and these kind of products are all about popularity).
The lack of Chrono Trigger which many consider the best JRPG ever made (Terranigma is better IMO), Pilotwings (icon game that used Mode-7) and Donkey Kong Country 2 which sold less than DKC1 (roughly 9M vs 5M) but it's a much better game is more baffling.

Could be but not as famous.
The other Super FX games that got cancelled in 1995 (Comanches, FX Fighter) may have been close to completion.

FX Fighter was released on MS-DOS in 1995. I would be curious to know how far along the SNES version was in comparison to that.

Here's some video footage of Comanche: Maximum Overkill running on the SNES from E3 1995: https://youtu.be/Op5EkC7GbxQ?t=8283

Courtesy of aparisi2274 from this thread.

This game used the SuperFX2 chip to create voxel environments with 2D scaling sprites. It looked really impressive for an SNES game.

FinalAres

I seriously can't get over how great it is that Nintendo have released Starfox 2. That's such a nice thing to do for fans. People would totally have bought it anyway, so it's clearly been done as a thank you.

Hopefully it'll come to Switch eventually too.

NekoFever

I've always wondered if there could be more cases like this on NES or SNES where they almost finished a game but then pulled the plug. Could there in other words be more "Star Fox 2's" that we don't know about?

There might be a handful, but I doubt there are many we don't know about since most games don't get as far as completion without an announcement. You're more likely to find unknown stuff in the NES heyday simply because there was so much software from so many tiny developers being created.

There are a lot of finished or near-finished unreleased games that were known, of course, some of which have leaked.

5"? Do you mean 5 feet?

spinal_tap_stonehengewgqw9.jpg

Raitaro

Placed two seperate orders on Webhallen. I'm a sucker so I'll pay whatever price they demand. I want my child to grow up with the SNES classics.

Was really lucky getting a hold of the NES Mini from Webhallen. Was picking up a new pair of headphones and they got a surprise shipment the same day. Not even going to try to imagine that the same kind of luck happens twice.

Just checked there and nearly got a heart attack when I saw their 9999kr price: https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/spe...et-snes_classic_mini_edition&atcl=search:live

I don't read Swedish so maybe I'm missing something about a placeholder price or something? Otherwise I'd be happy to import one from Sweden if that guarantees me one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nobody does. This is like Amiibo-GAF waiting for Skyward Sword Link to go up at 3am EDT on launch day. Go ask them how that turned out. lol

What's even worse is at least with the Amiibo we knew it was coming out that day and that it would be put up online. That's not the case at all with this.
So, how was everyone's restful night's sleep?

Bendo

Just checked there and nearly got a heart attack when I saw their 9999kr price: https://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/spe...et-snes_classic_mini_edition&atcl=search:live

I don't read Swedish so maybe I'm missing something about a placeholder price or something? Otherwise I'd be happy to import one from Sweden if that guarantees me one.

Yes, it's a placeholder. Bergsala, the Scandinavian distributor hasn't announced anything yet, so shops have no idea what the price or availability will be yet. In other words, preordering doesn't guarantee anything.

Hasney

Thanks for the link, when I try searching on Amazon can't find it. I'm away from home so wasn't able to give this time to preorder. I'm hopeful there will be loads more stock...

They said they've allocated more UK stock for this than the entire run of the NES and are hoping to get more out again.

Just keep your eye on this thread as many retailers like Nintendo, Argos and others haven't started pre-orders yet.

Blues1990

Don't worry. No need to not buy this. Nintendo got you covered :)

On a side note, I really hope it's easy to hack like the NES Mini. Unless Nintendo wised up and removed the data transferring capabilities from the USB, I guess it's just a matter of time.

I honestly think they aren't too bothered, especially since both the NES Mini and the SNES Mini are products produced in limited quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom