• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Osorio

Normally games with eight goals are called thrillers but in MLS it's just called terrible defense playing against one another.

UncleO

Not a Timbers fan but at least they had the sense to bring in a defensive DP with Ridgewell. NYCFC will still be a train wreck after Lamps and Pirlo are in uniform.

Im not sure why they dont use thier MCFC partnership and bring in some young CB's as loanees. Im sure thye have a few defenders that they would like to get first team experience.

It's amazing that we didn't lose when Creavalle and Perquis were playing for NYC.

And how the hell was that Villa dive a penalty? Even if he didn't dive that ball was already heading out of play.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That NYC-Toronto game was bananas. Some dubious officiating at times and even worse defending, but it certainly was entertaining.

Askani

3 huge points with the results this weekend. Still have 3 games in hand on most leading teams in the west too. We're definitely in the drivers seat right now. Hopefully we don't stumble.

Fun fact:

As you all know, Red Bull owns multiple teams, presumably as a goal to have an all Red Bull Club World Cup.

In the US, the steps to the CWC were easy.
1) Pay money to buy team
2) Finish in top 4 of 16 MLS teams
3) Beat some Caribbean teams
4) Club world cup

In South America, its been a longer road

Red Bull Brasil began in the 4th tier of the Sao Paulo championship. Its almost like an awesome RPG game where they level up!

They were promoted to 3rd tier, then 2nd tier, and finally last year, to the first level in Sao Paulo.

This Spring, they finished 6th in the Sao Paulo Championship, which in turn was high enough to qualify for their first National tournament: Campeonato Brasileiro Serie D (4th tier)

That tournament kicks off this week.

There are 40 teams, and now Red Bull Brasil needs to finish among the top 4 (of 40!) to get to Serie C, then top 4 to reach Serie B, then top 4 to reach Serie A

From there, the top 4 make Libertadores, and the winner, the Club World Cup.

.....Will Red Bull Brasil make the CWC before New York?

So if I'm reading this right:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/2015/bracket?utm_source=bracket&utm_medium=tab&utm_campaign=GoldCup

If the US comes out on top of Group A (which we will), and depending on how Group C and B plays out, there's a slight possibility of playing Mexico next round?

Very slight.

Guatemala has to win, which is likely

Mexico has to lose, which is possible.

But there's a giant goal difference that had to be made up for Mexico to finish behind Guatemala

Cystm

Giovinco was making people look so foolish. That match was basically Giovinco vs New York. He is carrying Toronto
and my fantasy team. Shit week.
single handedly.

NYCFC have 3 CBs. Facey is a kid. Kwame Watson-Siriboe is shit tier and Hernandez is injured.

Siriboe is directly responsible for 2 of Toronto's goals and played a part in the third as well.

Pirlo and Lampard are great signings, but that is going to amount to fuck all if their defense is going to play like that.

ngower

Someone in the comments on MLS Soccer brought up what I think is an interesting question to raise right about now: which coaches will we see axed in the coming weeks?

It seems that Mastroeni is the easiest bet. Yallop and Heaps are underperforming with talented rosters, but have fairly successful pedigrees so I think they get more time. Same could be said of Cassar, but he's been killed by injuries and international callups.

Just curious who you guys think goes?

Meier

NYCFC have 3 CBs. Facey is a kid. Kwame Watson-Siriboe is shit tier and Hernandez is injured.

Siriboe is directly responsible for 2 of Toronto's goals and played a part in the third as well.

Pirlo and Lampard are great signings, but that is not going to amount to fuck all if their defense is going to play like that.
Sounds likely that they will sign either Colombian (Jefferson Mena) or South African CB (Tefu Mashamaite) shortly. I'd imagine KWS' performance yesterday cemented that.

How good did Angelino look? Kid is the real deal.

Someone in the comments on MLS Soccer brought up what I think is an interesting question to raise right about now: which coaches will we see axed in the coming weeks?

It seems that Mastroeni is the easiest bet. Yallop and Heaps are underperforming with talented rosters, but have fairly successful pedigrees so I think they get more time. Same could be said of Cassar, but he's been killed by injuries and international callups.

Just curious who you guys think goes?

With these coaches on the hot seat, if Mike Petke doesn't have a job by the end of the season, I'd be shocked.

Cystm

Sounds likely that they will sign either Colombian (Jefferson Mena) or South African CB (Tefu Mashamaite) shortly. I'd imagine KWS' performance yesterday cemented that.

How good did Angelino look? Kid is the real deal.

He was the only defender out there that looked like he could actually play. He was generally looking good on offense as well. He had a dangerous first time cross that was placed perfectly and was dangerous to opposition that comes to mind.

gutshot

End of 2013 sounds like a long time ago, but you are literally talking about 6 games: 4 World Cup matches and 2 Gold Cup matches. I don't think you can make many determinations from that small a sample size.

End of 2013 sounds like a long time ago, but you are literally talking about 6 games: 4 World Cup matches and 2 Gold Cup matches. I don't think you can make many determinations from that small a sample size.
It's an inherent difficulty given the low number of competitive fixtures that national teams play when not in qualifying, but the trend is troubling. That being said, for a small sample size I'd be more interested in, say, chance creation than goals and the location of those shots / expected goals than I am in the pure shot count.

For example, the US was outshot 16-6 against Honduras which sounds pretty bad. However, the US led in shots on target 5-3, and most of the Honduran shots were speculative efforts from outside the box (and many were blocked.)

RXFQD9F.jpg

The US definitely needs to create more from open play, and they should be preventing a lot of these shots, but it's not quite as dire those two tweets indicate.

xbhaskarx

A few fun facts from MLS Analyst:

Only 2 #USMNT players have scored run-of-play goals in non-friendly games since the end of 2013: Clint Dempsey and Julian Green. 570 mins, 4 goals.

Last opponent US outshot in an "official" game: Panama to close the Hex. We've been outshot 131-56 since then. #BunkerAndPray

These aren't all that "fun" but here's another:

USMNT outshot opponents 105-47 last Gold Cup. In 10 non-friendlies since, been outshot 180-109.

For example, the US was outshot 16-6 against Honduras which sounds pretty bad. However, the US led in shots on target 5-3, and most of the Honduran shots were speculative efforts from outside the box (and many were blocked.)

RXFQD9F.jpg

The US definitely needs to create more from open play, and they should be preventing a lot of these shots, but it's not quite as dire those two tweets indicate.

Okay but then we were also outshot 21-6 by Haiti. Haiti!

An this time WE only had one shot from inside the box:

16-6 vs Honduras, 21-6 vs Haiti, both at home...

Meanwhile MVP candidate Feilhaber doesn't even make the 35 man roster and Klinsmann says others are "ahead of him"....

Dartastic

Captaining Giovinco this week saved the FUCK out of my fantasy team. Dear god. I've got one more substitution left... probably need to get Kah the fuck out of there and get another fullback.

pK8H4fs.jpg

xbhaskarx

I stopped playing fantasy for a while because I was busy and stopped paying attention, but I got back into it last week, using my wild card to dump a bunch of players... good week thanks to David Villa and Giovinco.

Week 19 vs Week 1:

Dartastic

Swapped Kah out for Ellis and threw Harrington back on the bench. Hope that works out. I wanna get Benny in there too, somehow. I think next week I'm going to get Findlay out of there and move Agudelo also.

I get needing to get Alvarado and Brooks needing as much reps together as possible, but Brooks should only be there for like 60 mins or so he doesn't get CONCACAF'd into another yellow card

Mory Dunz

Wondo is useless now.

Let's mold johannsson into both a int and good club player. That shoukd be our top priority. Or find another forward. Stop wasting time

Top Bottom