• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Season ticket prices are going up next season. Clearly a sign that we're splashing the cash on Chicha. Right guys?!

Makes sense to me!

In all seriousness, how much are season tickets around The South Ward? The tickets I got Saturday in 130 said $360 on them. Doesn't seem too bad if that's the price for one.

Osorio

Doesn't your avatar refer to your team?

Yes it does.

1560.gif

Jeff Carlisle ‏@JeffreyCarlisle 2m2 minutes ago
MLS ASG Fan XI: Rimando; Gonzalez, Besler,Beasley; Kaka,Bradley,Feilhaber, Zusi; Dempsey,Villa,Martins. Lampard & Gerrard are Commish picks.

where is Giovinco in this

lol@Lampard and Gerrard

Osorio

Yes, their jerseys are going to look good.

But my avatar is for the Metrostars. I'm the thread's biggest Red Bull hater. As in I hate corporate ownership, not the team.

Osorio

Keep Finlay. Him and Kei rack up points.

Wow. Not bad at all, especially if you get them early enough and have the ability to pay monthly.

I gotta figure out an easy way to get to RBA and get me some season tickets.

You can pay it off over six months. And you get a free scarf and sometimes a free $100 jacket. Ridiculous deal.

Cystm

Nice "I Believe" and "We Love Ya" chant right at the start. Love KC fans.

Hopefully we can smash on Panama instead of just barely squeaking by.

Cystm

Speaking of getting CONCACAF'd. Let's let a blatantly obvious foul go outside the box, but then call bullshit on the other end immediately afterwards.

Cystm

I absolutely agree with everyone on it being ridiculous that Gio did not get voted in. He is the best player in the league, and their asses are out there voting for Graham Zusi who missed a quarter of the season.

Disgusting.

Cystm

That's how we do it boys. Great passes from Dempsey to Bedoya and then to Bradley.

Have Zardes take a seat.

Edit: Beckerman too. Nothing but bad touches.

Edit2: Excellent tackle from Johnson.

xbhaskarx

Positive: 7 points

Negative: Outshot
16-6 vs Honduras
21-6 vs Haiti
13-8 vs Panama

That's 50 to 20, in the group stage of a Gold Cup we're hosting.

Meanwhile guys like Feilhaber, Shipp, and Finlay
and Donovan
are sitting at home while Alfredo Morales is starting...

Dartastic

Not a Timbers fan but at least they had the sense to bring in a defensive DP with Ridgewell. NYCFC will still be a train wreck after Lamps and Pirlo are in uniform.
Missed this post, but I agree. Those dudes will get eaten alive by teams with pace, I think. With most teams being top heavy in terms of talent, balanced DP teams, ESPECIALLY in the defensive third are going to be a necessity. Ridgewell basically turned our defense around.

Now, in regards to the USMNT game tonight, we really need someone who can maintain possession and distribute while in transition. In short, we need Nagbe.

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: USMNT hold on for a point vs. Panama in Gold Cup group finale

You probably don't know this, but there has been a great debate raging on the "math nerd" niche of soccer Twitter recently. You can try to follow it from HERE, but rest assured: This is the Great Schism of the soccer analytics community. TSR vs. expected goals will make the world burn.

And Jurgen Klinsmann's US national team is the lit match. They were out-shot for the seventh straight official match (read: No friendlies) in Monday's 1-1 draw against Panama, and for the ninth time in 11 competitive matches since winning the 2013 Gold Cup. Whether it's Germany or Belgium or Panama or Haiti, the US have played the vast majority of the games that matter over the last two years on the back foot. They've been remarkable consistent in that regard.

It's a vast stylistic change. The 2013 team outshot their opponents 105-47, dominating from stem to stern. In the 11 games (that matter) since, they've been outshot 193-117. In the last three it's 50-20.

When you give up that many shots, you're flirting with danger. Statistically speaking, teams that get outshot by such a wide margin can not sustainably produce results.

Who was on that 2013 team I forget....

Sciaretta said:
It is looking like Jozy Altidore will be replaced on the #usmnt Gold Cup team as one of the six permitted changes. Gordon? Agudelo?
ORLY? Surprising to see that unless he's injured. He hasn't played well so far, but the team doesn't really have anyone else that can hold up the ball at striker.

EDIT: Altidore tweet:
Always a pleasure to be a part of @ussoccer all the best to the boys the rest of the way! #KeepTheCup #USMNT

Okay but then we were also outshot 21-6 by Haiti. Haiti!

An this time WE only had one shot from inside the box:

16-6 vs Honduras, 21-6 vs Haiti, both at home...
Going back to this....

Michael Caley put together the xG map (expected goals) based on all of the shots for and against the USMNT in the group stage:

wkqMzqT.png

That's US shots on the left and opponents on the right.

USA has created big chances, but have been fortunate opponents aren't much for finishing.

Why raw shots stats overrate how bad the US have been. Most of opposition chances very low expected goals:
ssQSnQp.png

But they're at home! Against CONCACAF! Being "pretty much even in chances despite bad shot differential" is not exactly heartening.
In terms of cumulative chances, it's been about even so far - one would've expected all three games to end 1-1, more or less. Not quite as bad as the raw shot counts indicate, but still unacceptable.

Mory Dunz

Wait why is jozy gone?

As bad as he was playing he still probably held up the bell better than anyone else. Case in point: zardes and wondo. Dempsey drops deep a lot so kind of N/A.

At least johannasson might get to play more. If so he better prove himself.

Meier

He had that hammy injury at the end of May which was supposed to keep him out all of June. Might have rushed it back or just not healed fully. Or he's just not fit after coming off the time out.

Was anyone added?
Hasn't been announced yet.

Available options:
Goalkeepers: William Yarbrough

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley, Matt Besler, Michael Orozco, Brek Shea

Midfielders: Joe Corona, Brad Davis, Perry Kitchen, Lee Nguyen

Forwards: Juan Agudelo, Alan Gordon, Jordan Morris
Note that Davis, Shea, and Morris are hurt, so presumably they're not in the mix.

Esch

Banned
Would be nice if we'd replace Timmy Chandler too. Dude's just not good enough.

Feilhaber omission remains a disgrace.

xbhaskarx

Available options:
Note that Davis, Shea, and Morris are hurt, so presumably they're not in the mix.

Davis was taken off the 23 due to injury and replaced by Garza, but then he played 90 minutes in Houston's 2-0 win over the Quakes last Friday, although he didn't do much. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a 22 man roster than Brad Davis, but he's probably considered healthy and available at this point...

Would be nice if we'd replace Timmy Chandler too. Dude's just not good enough.

Let's face it, that's not happening. Also, as horrific as he was in the first half, he was decent in the second half after Yedlin came on for Morales. So that could work out or maybe they can even be switched, with Yedlin at RB and Chandler in front of him...

Davis was taken off the 23 due to injury and replaced by Garza, but then he played 90 minutes in Houston's 2-0 win over the Quakes last Friday, although he didn't do much. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a 22 man roster than Brad Davis, but he's probably considered healthy and available at this point...
Good point - I completely forgot about that. In any case, I don't think he's going to be added.

xbhaskarx

Not a fan of most of those options. Agudelo could work I guess

List of field players who are currently not injured that I'd even want to see added

Matt Besler, Perry Kitchen, Lee Nguyen, Juan Agudelo

And even most of those guys aren't exactly doing great right now (as this tournament coincides with the Revs' annual summer collapse)...

This was inevitable with a bunch of uninspired options on the 35 man roster. I don't care if he's doing okay in MLS right now, are we really going to see 33 year old journeyman Alan Gordon on the A team roster in the year 2015??

Top Bottom