• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

I am going to need that kit Sean Johnson has.

E:
kX9MsxO.png

This man needs a better defense
Team

ZZMitch

What an insane game. I don't think I have every screamed as loud for a goal as I did when T&T tied there at the end, wow. The best karma ever

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After Cuba beat Guatemala and the utter insanity of the T&T-Mexico game, you really get the feeling that just about anything can happen at this point.

There's something going on. I'd like to think having another competitive league in the confederation is helping everyone out, but either way this shit is crazy. Take nothing for granted.

What an insane game. I don't think I have every screamed as loud for a goal as I did when T&T tied there at the end, wow. The best karma ever

My buddy is legit shook after that goal, goddamn.

Soccer Power Index numbers from Paul Carr @ ESPN:

SPI Gold Cup title odds: #USMNT 66%, Mexico 20%, Costa Rica 9%, Panama 3%, Jamaica 3%. <1% for T&T, Haiti, Cuba.

SPI odds to make #GoldCup final: #USMNT 91%, Mexico 49%, Costa Rica 29%, Panama 20%, Jamaica 8%, T&T 3%, Haiti 1%, Cuba 0.1%.

I didn't captain Kamara and left Giovinco as my captain >.>

At least Giovinco is the only guy in all the teams MLSE owns that know how to score

RSL trades Saborio to D.C. United

Costa Rican national team striker Alvaro Saborio is in the midst of his country's run at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, but it appears he could find himself on a new team once the tournament ends for the Ticos.

Sources have confirmed to Goal USA that Real Salt Lake is finalizing a trade that will send Saborio to D.C. United in exchange for midfielder Luis Silva .

ZZMitch

Looks like Cubo has landed in Houston, wasn't sure it was gunna happen with all that legal stuff going on down in Mexico

xbhaskarx

Portland Timbers sign Lucas Melano to DP deal, use targeted allocation

The Portland Timbers have acquired 22-year-old Argentine forward Lucas Melano from Lanús for a $5 million transfer fee, a source with knowledge of the deal told SI.com on Thursday. Melano has signed a guaranteed four-year contract (with an option year) that will pay him around $1 million per year, and the Timbers will cover the entirety of the transfer fee.

Portland will announce the signing in a press conference on Friday.

Melano, who had drawn interest from clubs in Spain (Villarreal, Celta Vigo) and Mexico (Santos Laguna), will be the Timbers' third Designated Player, along with Diego Valeri and Liam Ridgewell. Portland is using MLS’s new targeted allocation money to pay down the salary budget value of Fanendo Adi, who will no longer count as a Designated Player.

The Timbers become the second team to use the new mechanism after the LA Galaxy did so to buy down Omar Gonzalez's contract in order to acquire Mexico's Giovani dos Santos as a DP.

Hey look other teams are allowed to use targeted allocation money too, it's almost like it isn't some unfair rule designed for one team.

DominoKid

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ity-linked-sao-paulo-ganso-20150716-post.html

Man. For those of you who don't follow much in the way of foreign soccer, Ganso and Neymar were attached at the hip back at Santos years ago. I remember Ganso being quoted as saying he thought they'd play together for their entire careers.

That obviously didn't happen, but if Orlando City could sign him that'd be a fantastic get. Fingers fucking crossed.

so that's what happened to ganso. haven't heard anything about him in years.

More on salaries from Jake Cohen:
In European football, 65% of total revenues go to wages.
In MLS, just 17% of total revenues go to wages (2013 fig, might be smaller now).

Since 2013, MLS salary cap has grown ~18% (from $2.95m to $3.49m).
Since 2013, TV revenue alone has grown ~330% (from $27m to $90m py)

Not sharing revenues with athletes isn't a USA thing, it's an MLS thing.
In NHL, 71% of revenues go to wages. NBA, 55%, MLB 47%, NFL 37%.

A couple ASN articles:

- Andrea Pirlo Signing Is a Shrewd Deal for NYCFC
A month ago the 36-year-old Juventus midfielder was playing in a Champions League final. Soon he’ll be drawing fans to the Bronx and eyeballs to TV sets. It’s a brilliant signing for NYCFC and MLS.
- Dan Flynn Takes One for the Team; Gulati Ducks Senate
Senator Richard Blumenthal wanted to grill U.S. Soccer's Sunil Gulati yesterday but had to settle for the federation's secretary general and CEO, Dan Flynn. ASN's Brooke Tunstall attended the hearing.

Good stuff here:
U.S. also suffered from a lack of familiarity. Rather than being confused by the system, though, the Americans often looked as if their collective design simply hadn’t been properly choreographed despite playing similar formations as in the past.

In attempting to build up from the back, poor spacing often isolated players one-on-one in difficult positions, and all they could do was look for long balls into the forwards and wingers. Michael Bradley, whom manager Jurgen Klinsmann continues to play in more of a No. 10 role, dropped too far back to look for the ball at his feet, throwing the midfield into confusion.

mmpDRov.jpg

Failing to support the player on the ball also set the team up poorly for a quick transition to defense, eschewing the compactness that would allow for quick recuperation of possession or at least limit the immediate danger of losing the ball in the back.

A frustrating disconnect among players in possession followed, with a high-pressuring, physical Honduras causing problems as well as a patient Haiti making it difficult to play through a compact middle block. The U.S. could only score on two set pieces against Honduras and a fast break, similar to a counterattack, against Haiti.

The Americans’ best example of proper spacing and build-up created their goal against Panama, with Alejandro Bedoya polishing off a combination near the penalty area by driving a pinpoint cross to Bradley at the back post. Bradley’s run was reminiscent of many of his late, surging runs from midfield that resulted in his goal against Slovenia at the 2010 World Cup, among others, and another rallying cry for those imploring Klinsmann to play him farther back.

The positive aspect of playing Bradley outside his best role is his ability to string the whole team together with his work rate. He connects defense to attack when much of the team looks disoriented, but he often falls into the trap of running simply to run instead of moving with a purpose.

He also hasn’t been paired consistently with anybody to help rein in that tendency with Jermaine Jones’s recent injury concerns. When Dempsey plays as a shadow striker underneath one or two higher partners, it mitigates that concern a little, but another strong central-midfield partner for Bradley would further disperse his work load.

A few tidbits from BigSoccer:
Average base salary: 260,178 (2014 = 204,008)
Average total comp: 282,088 (226,454)
Median base salary: 97,500 (80,000)
Median total comp: 110,000 (92,000)
Over $5M total comp: 6 (4)
$1-5M total comp: 15 (11)
$500K-$1M total comp: 20 (10)
$300-500K total comp: 40 (34)
$100-300K total comp: 222 (216)
$50-100K total comp: 263 (152)
Under $50K total comp: 0 (145)
Total league base salary: 147,260,732 (116,692,405)
Total league total comp: 159,662,055 (129,531,839)
Total # of players: 566 (572)

Guaranteed compensation, by club.
poql7Rf.jpg

Osorio

We went from $15 million to under $4 million in three years.

Yet season ticket prices are going up next season.

So Red Bull

ZZMitch

So Red Bull

Crazy that RBNY actually is the lowest in the league now

Somehow even Colorado pays their players more... what?

Osorio

Crazy that RBNY actually is the lowest in the league now

Somehow even Colorado pays their players more... what?

I think the front office started pushing renewals at the time they did because of this list. Not saying everybody looks at this lists but word will spread through the fanbase like wildfire.

If the results don't hold up I wouldn't be shocked at seeing less than 6k season ticket holders next season.

xbhaskarx

Guaranteed compensation, by club.
poql7Rf.jpg

Any have the team breakdown from last season?

So Red Bull

And yet you guys are second in the East in PPG... would you really feel better about how much you're paying for tickets if Tim Cahill was making paid as much as the rest of the team combined?

It seems pretty smart to have built a solid roster with such a low payroll, leaving room to add pieces in the summer, maybe even a DP or two...

xbhaskarx

So relative to the rest of the league the Quakes payroll went from 8/19 to 15/20, even though they just moved into a brand new stadium, and added two DPs (MPG came over in the summer so isn't included in the numbers above)...

The MPG numbers at San Jose are fuzzy because his compensation in salary form is very low (240k/yr) but they paid an undisclosed transfer fee ($2M?) for him that bumps him up to DP, iirc. I'm not sure how that gets annualized or considered.

Still, I certainly don't dispute your point that the ownership are a bunch of cheapos that want to keep the amount of money they spend down to a minimum. I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to have the lowest payroll in the league and sneak into the last playoff spot each season.

Osorio

And yet you guys are second in the East in PPG... would you really feel better about how much you're paying for tickets if Tim Cahill was making paid as much as the rest of the team combined?

It seems pretty smart to have built a solid roster with such a low payroll, leaving room to add pieces in the summer, maybe even a DP or two...

2nd in a terrible East. One game above .500. Now imagine where we'd be with some talent brought in using the available cap space. And if Red Bull does want to be cheap, what will prevent any clubs from attempting to buy our young talent like Miazga and Lawrence?

And why should tickets go up in price if wages have gone down about 70%? There's no demand for these seats other than games against NYCFC.

Perhaps they will use the available cap space for big name players but I doubt that's going to happen. I'll eat crow if true, but it seems to me that Red Bull simply wants to make the team profitable. But the question is, why? To make it a more valuable asset for possible investors? Or to offset the money the corporation has purportedly been losing from their other ventures?

xbhaskarx

MPG: I'm pretty sure the transfer fee gets spread out over the life of his contract, hence his DP status... he's certainly the best value on team, making less than Pierazzi.

NYRB: I got the feeling that they were going to start spending money this summer, somehow I doubt they'll be 20/20 in payroll at the end of the season, but I guess we'll see...

2014 vs 2015:
6IZYFk1.png

The teams that dropped are Montreal, Dallas, NYRB, and surprisingly Seattle.
Vancouver is within like a few hundred dollars of last year, apparently they have a budget and stick to it.

Top Bottom