• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party |OT| You thought your high school was hell

Takao

Banned
MOX7p.png

Known in Japan as Corpse Party: BloodCovered: ...Repeated Fear
Platform: PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation Vita (via Backwards Compatibility)
Genre: Adventure Horror
Developer: Team GrisGris
Publisher: 5pb. (Japan) | XSEED Games (North America) | XSEED GAMES (Europe)
Release Date: August 12, 2010 (Japan) | PlayStation Store: November 22, 2011 (North America) | December 14, 2011 (Europe)
Rating: M for Blood & Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content, and Strong Language (North America)
Size: 555MB
MSRP: 6,090¥ (Japan) | $19.99 (North America) | €14.99 (Europe)
In the west this is a PlayStation Network only release. There will not be any UMD copies.
F49Yq.png

Corpse Party started in 1996 as an independent game built upon the RPG Maker released for the NEC PC-9800. After winning
a variety of awards, and a cult following Team GrisGris went silent with the series. Since 1996, the fan community had stepped
in place of GrisGris, and even released their own prequel, Corpse Party Zero.

GrisGris unexpectedly returned the series in 2008, with one of the most promising projects they'd tackle. Corpse Party:
Blood Covered would be released that year for PC, and would entail a re-imagining of the original cult classic. But unlike some remakes,
this was a full deal. New music, new art, new graphics, new scenarios. Blood Covered had it all, so it made sense that Corpse Party once
again returned to cult popularity. Blood Covered would span audio dramas, two separate manga series, character merchandise and
a cellphone port.

But unlike before, Team GrisGris wasn't going to go back into hiding. In 2010, in collaboration with Japanese adventure game publisher
5pb. GrisGris embarked on Corpse Party: Blood Covered ...Repeated Fear for PSP. Rather than take the easy way out, and directly port
over Blood Covered, Team GrisGris once again took the hard way, and added even more additional scenarios, music, updated visuals,
and even a full vocal track recorded in binaural audio for a simulated three-dimensional surround sound effect.

Like Blood Covered, Repeated Fear was a success spawning even more products, and its own PSP sequel, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows.

b4lrB.jpg

30 years ago a school called Heavenly Host Elementary was the scene of a horrific crime. 4 students of the school were kidnapped, and
murdered. Now, Heavenly Host is a high school and the horrific scenes are about to happen again. Unwittingly, a group of teens conjure
up a forbidden charm that sends them into the world of the haunted. The group must traverse each hall, and class to survive or become
another victim in the school's troubled past. Will you join the forgotten souls in this Corpse Party?

The unlucky souls (click to expand):

ZhLyB.png

Teaser Site | Announcement Trailer | Halloween Trailer

(Click to enlarge)

Corpse Party And The Psychology Of Horror | Just What Kind of a Party is Corpse Party?

bmrEH.jpg
XzsPs.jpg
O9Q0o.jpg
BUVis.jpg

KHcBU.jpg
VV4po.jpg
b1noI.jpg

An Interview With XSEED Games | How Corpse Party Got An Invitation For Localization | How Xseed Localized Corpse Party (And Kept It Scary)

ZuQyB.png

TBA

Looks interesting.

What kind of RPG is this? Is it turn-based like traditional RPGs or is it something else? What JRPG on the PSP is similar to this?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I figured there would be a deadmans party lyric in the title, but whatever. It seems like an interesting game that's for sure.

Good first post. Nice and tidy, info all in one place.

Definitely excited to hear from people who play the game. I loved the Japanese version and I'm hoping XSEED did the script justice.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Looks interesting.

What kind of RPG is this? Is it turn-based like traditional RPGs or is it something else? What JRPG on the PSP is similar to this?

I don't think it's jrpg...

Takao

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Looks interesting.

According to one of the interviews I posted in the OP ;) it's something else:

Tom Lipschultz (Localization Lead, XSEED): Think of it kind of like a point-and-click adventure game, except instead of moving a mouse cursor around, you move your characters directly. Want to go through a door? Walk up to it and press the X button. Want to check a shelf, or examine a dead body? Walk up to it and press the X button. Kind of like the recent Telltale Back to the Future games, or the Konami title Shadow of Destiny (Shadow of Memories in Japan and PAL regions).

What's kind of unique about Corpse Party, though, is that your decisions determine exactly how the story progresses. Which may not sound very unique, but in Corpse Party, the mere act of choosing to enter a room, read a journal or examine a particular object can lead you on a path toward gruesome demise. You're almost always given fair warning that this will happen... but the game makes a point of preying on your morbid curiosity. Even if you know you're going to die, you still really, really want to read that journal, or enter that room, just to see how. It's quite insidious!

The scariest moments, though, are when you're being chased. It doesn't happen super-duper often, but when it does, it really gets your adrenaline pumping. Especially when your pursuer is right behind you and, suddenly, the floor in front of your feet falls away. If those scenes don't make you break a cold sweat, then I can't imagine what will!

It's more of an adventure game than an RPG.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Looks interesting.

I'm pretty sure it's an adventure game with puzzles. I don't think there's any RPG qualities to it. I may be wrong but that's the understanding I'm getting.

Thanks for the info.

It does sound different. I saw HP on the screens and thought it was a JRPG like SMT.

Looks interesting. I still want to see what the reviews say though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Need to buy new PSP memory stick...

I completely forgot this was out next week. Hopefully I finish Fate/Extra by then (and I hope my spare time won't be occupied by Zelda~).

Takao

Banned
andymcc said:
PSN-only.

does this have voice acting?

It does, but because it's a PSN-only release it'll just stay with just the Japanese track. If you'd rather not play with the Japanese vocals, you can turn them off.

Takao said:
At least read the first part of the OP, haha.

In the west it's PSN only.
To be fair, I did, and this is what it says:

Takao said:
Platform: PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation Vita (via Backwards Compatibility)

Can't really blame me :p It was kind of misleading. I thought the mention of the store at a different section meant it would be on both.

On the backlog. Gotta finish Fate/Extra (if I don't drop it first) and Persona 2 first. Kind of sucks that I read a decent chunk of the beginning of the manga, so I'm fully aware of some events that I imagine will be incredibly tense in the game.

cj_iwakura

Didn't know about the series' history, fascinating stuff.

Also, the teacher's bio link in the OP is broken. Beyond that, nicely done.

Lain

Hope it won't take too long for the game to be released on the EU PSN, as I'm going to get it there.

I am pretty hyped for this. And it'll be released at about midnight here so I can get straight into bed with the lights off and some headphones on. Wiiiin.

Luigi87

Fantastic that this got localized, and I do plan to get it.
...That being said, I won't be able to at launch =(
Possibly January!

hank_tree

What happened to OT's only being created 7 days before release? Way to go on getting my hopes up that it was out this Tuesday and then dashing them expertly.

Edgeward

Oh this release sneaked up on me. Good thing i still some extra credit left in my acct thanks to the psn promotion and movie credit business to give me a nice discount. Dont normally horror games but cant wait to try this. Looks real unique and interesting

Takao

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Didn't know about the series' history, fascinating stuff.

Also, the teacher's bio link in the OP is broken. Beyond that, nicely done.

Fixed the link! Thanks.

hank_tree said:
What happened to OT's only being created 7 days before release? Way to go on getting my hopes up that it was out this Tuesday and then dashing them expertly.

Ah, sorry! I finished the OP yesterday, and was like "Welp, might as well post it". I believe the rule on OTs is 2 weeks prior to release.

Jazzem

Huh...I'm not really a horror guy but I'm actually interested in this, especially after the xseed interview. Sounds like it might be engrossing in a similar way to how 999 on DS was.

Maybe it is that fabled morbid curiosity :p

hank_tree

Takao said:
Ah, sorry! I finished the OP yesterday, and was like "Welp, might as well post it". I believe the rule on OTs is 2 weeks prior to release.

Nah it's 7 days man.

EviLore said:
As most of you know, an |OT| should be created no earlier than seven days prior to its game's release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449749

No biggie anyways. Just something that's been happening here a lot recently. Hopefully it will get more people interested in this game. I'm looking forward to trying to find some time to play this between Skyrim and Assassin's Creed.

Day One; hopefully will beat Trails in the Sky before it comes out (on the last chapter). Beating Fate/EXTRA by then'll be impossible, though (just restarting the second week).

creid said:
Any info from XSEED about how much space the download takes up? I'm prepping my PSP.

They say no less then 600MB, but no more then 800-900MB. Hopefully I'll have enouhgh space for this and Parasite Eve.

Nekobo

DMPrince said:
oh. i should have save those 2 $5.99 PSN codes to buy this instead of Patapon D:

I'm saving my 2 PSN vouchers just for this. :) Ever since I finished 999, I've been in the mood for a high tension, graphic adventure game.

I love adventure games, but I'm really not a fan of horror so I don't know if I'll personally be getting it.

But I will be suggesting it to people that I know do love horror, and I hope this does well for XSEED. I really appreciate their continued support for the niche genres.

Vamphuntr

I love adventure game but can someone confirms this won't turn into a loli panties shots festival? Really worried about that because drawing make them look like 12 even if the bios in the op states they are like 17 and the ESRB review is talking about nudity and sex.I don't want to support that kind of game if it's the case.

I realise there's practically zero crossover between the two fanbases (I probably am the crossover) but I spent some hours today making a Corpse Party car in Forza 4. I did say I was getting stupidly hyped, didn't I?

djgw4.jpg

Us0AE.jpg

9YrLw.jpg

CXinP.jpg

I did the logo pretty lazily, really, but I still like it overall. Hah.

Takao

Banned
I love adventure game but can someone confirms this won't turn into a loli panties shots festival? Really worried about that because drawing make them look like 12 even if the bios in the op states they are like 17 and the ESRB review is talking about nudity and sex.I don't want to support that kind of game if it's the case.

There are some questionable images on XSEED's site, so if Tom or Jess could elaborate that would be swell.

Nekofrog

Banned
jesus christ. love the theme and plot but really? loli animu girls in skirts so short that if they even so much as moved it looks like their panties would show?

kind of wish they had gone with classier designs, because the setting for this looks fantastic.

edit: not to mention the gameplay is RIGHT up my alley (adventure game). so conflicted...

Top Bottom