• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 3, 2015

Raist

Banned
The number of countries means shit all, the countries you mentioned make up the majority of console sales. I'm not saying Sony are lying, they can't unless they want to get fucked over like good ol' Tesco were. Just curious to see which countries outside the ones you mentioned make up the console sales.

It's missing the UK, which is likely 1.5M if not more.
Canada is traditionally 10% of the US market, then there's Australia, etc. It adds up fast, even if we're talking 100k per country on average.

Alo0oy

Banned
The post you quoted said it sold less than them "in 2014". Do you realize how well GT has sold in the past in comparison to 6? I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here.

That doesn't mean anything, GT5 didn't chart in 2011's best selling games in UK, the franchise is known for selling well over an extremely long amount of time, it doesn't have explosive debuts like Call of Duty, it just continues to sell steadily for years, it selling nearly as well as LBP & FH in its second year actually proves my point, it's gonna continue doing those numbers steadily until GT7 launches.

That doesn't mean anything, GT5 didn't chart in 2011's best selling games in UK, the franchise is known for selling well over an extremely long amount of time, it doesn't have explosive debuts like Call of Duty, it just continues to sell steadily for years, it selling nearly as well as LBP & FH in its second year actually proves my point, it's gonna continue doing those numbers steadily until GT7 launches.

that's because the chart used to only go to top 10, GT6 wouldn't even appear at all if that were still the case...

13 GRAN TURISMO 5

42. Gran Turismo 6

I'm well aware of GT's history. How does selling worse in the UK outside of it's launch month than games that probably won't even sell 2 million lifetime(Sunset, LBP3, etc.) prove your point that GT6 has already sold more than 5 million?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Comparison with GT5's numbers are stupid. GT6 was budget priced super fast, and sold by UK retailers at £17.99 (and later at EU retailers for €19.99) even faster.

GT6 clearly undersold and most definitely took a big dive in per copy profits, of course I don't mean the project itself, since it obviously costed a fraction of GT5's development.

---
Anyway,

Italy's Week 2; 05/1/2015 to 11/01/2015

Fifa 15
PS4
Electronic Arts

Fifa 15
PS3
Electronic Arts

GTA V Grand Theft Auto
PS4
Rockstar Games

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
PS4
Activision Blizzard

Just Dance 2015
Wii
Ubisoft

Assassin's Creed Unity
PS4
Ubisoft

Far Cry 4 Limited Edition
PS4
Ubisoft

The Crew
PS4
Ubisoft

Fifa 15
X-Box 360
Electronic Arts

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
PS3
Activision Blizzard

Paganmoon

Swedish Week 3 is out on Feber.se

Multiformat (per plattform)
1.Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
2.FIFA 15 (PS4)
3.Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
4.Just Dance 2015 (Wii)
5.Far Cry 4 (PS4)
6.NHL 15 (PS4)
7.Minecraft (PS3)
8.Minecraft (360)
9.Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
10.FIFA 15 (PS3)
11.Grand Theft Auto V (XBO)
12.Battlefield 4 (PS4)
13.Super Smash Bros. (WiiU)
14.Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4)
15.The Sims 4 (PC)
16.FIFA 15 (360)
17.Halo: The Master Chief Collection (XBO)
18.Destiny (PS4)
19.Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)
20.Minecraft (PS4)

Combined:
1.FIFA 15
2.Grand Theft Auto V
3.Minecraft
4.Far Cry 4
5.Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
6.NHL 15
7.Just Dance 2015
8.Battlefield 4
9.Skylanders: Trap Team
10.The Crew
11.Dragon Age: Inquisition
12.Lego Marvel Super Heroes
13.Destiny
14.Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham
15.Rayman Legends
16.Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
17.Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
18.Little Big Planet 3
19.Disney Infinity 2.0
20.Assassin's Creed Unity

gtj1092

Just entertaining the fact that the Xbox One might be below 10 million at this point is funny.

Using those countries (minus China and Japan) YTD's in 2013, they add up to 2,424,000 units sold out of the 3,000,000 sold in 2013.

That means those 5 countries (US, UK, France, Germany, and Spain) combined was 80.8% of the total sales.

Using just the last updated LTD numbers we know currently for just those 5 countries (using 1.4 million for UK right now, assuming 70k for Spain, and 330k as a minimum for Germany), assuming that ratio somehow stayed the same with an additional 29 countries, you still get over 10,000,000.

I really want to say the Xbox One is closer to 11 million than 10 million by the end of 2014.

Next gen shipments nearing 30 million

•Strong demand continued for AMD-based game consoles, with Microsoft and Sony having shipped nearly 30 million consoles to-date. Sony also recently announced plans to release PlayStation4 in the People's Republic of China

If this report from AMD is correct and you assume Ps4 is at a max 19 million shipped your scenario would mean that XB1 is sold out around the world which would make their decision to re-drop the price odd.

Raist

Banned
Finland Week 3

01 (01) MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT / SONY CEE)
02 (05) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
04 (03) NHL 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (04) CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06 (06) FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
07 (07) LITTLEBIGPLANET 3 (SONY CEE)
08 (08) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (09) SINGSTAR: SUOMIBILEET (SONY CEE)
10 (__) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER INTERACTIVE)

Australia Week 3

01 (01) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
02 (04) MINECRAFT (SCE)
03 (02) CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (03) FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
05 (08) DRAGON AGE INQUISITION (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (06) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (09) NBA 2K15 (TAKE 2)
08 (__) SUPER SMASH BROS (NINTENDO)
09 (__) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS INTERACTIVE)
10 (__) LEGO BATMAN 3: BEYOND GOTHAM (WARNER BROS INTERACTIVE)

New Zealand Week 3

01 (01) MINECRAFT (SCE)
02 (03) CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
03 (02) FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
04 (04) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (05) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (08) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS INTERACTIVE)
07 (10) DRAGON AGE INQUISITION (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (__) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (09) NBA 2K15 (TAKE 2)
10 (__) ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)

Koren

It's weird to me that Captain Toad did not make Top 5 in France the past two weeks but had 1 and 6 in Germany. I always imagined the two countries to be similar Nintendo consumers, with a higher chance to chart in France.

side note: Toad is out of stock on amazon.fr, 3rd parties selling at +10€ premium. I don't know how that situation was two weeks ago, but maybe the French imported from Germany? :)
I haven't seen a reply on this so...

Assuming it was serious (I doubt that online orders could change charts so much), the game is in stock in every brick'n mortar store, so I doubt there's a supply issue.

jaina

I haven't seen a reply on this so...

Assuming it was serious (I doubt that online orders could change charts so much), the game is in stock in every brick'n mortar store, so I doubt there's a supply issue.

Thanks for the answer! I was serious but I'm also aware of the general applicability of online store charts. I'll just wait if we ever get French sales numbers of Toad.

noobie

Banned
Finland Week 3

01 (01) MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT / SONY CEE)
02 (05) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (02) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
04 (03) NHL 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (04) CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
06 (06) FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
07 (07) LITTLEBIGPLANET 3 (SONY CEE)
08 (08) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (09) SINGSTAR: SUOMIBILEET (SONY CEE)
10 (__) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER INTERACTIVE)

Australia Week 3

01 (01) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
02 (04) MINECRAFT (SCE)
03 (02) CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (03) FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
05 (08) DRAGON AGE INQUISITION (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (06) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (09) NBA 2K15 (TAKE 2)
08 (__) SUPER SMASH BROS (NINTENDO)
09 (__) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS INTERACTIVE)
10 (__) LEGO BATMAN 3: BEYOND GOTHAM (WARNER BROS INTERACTIVE)

New Zealand Week 3

01 (01) MINECRAFT (SCE)
02 (03) CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
03 (02) FAR CRY 4 (UBISOFT)
04 (04) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE 2)
05 (05) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (08) MIDDLE EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR (WARNER BROS INTERACTIVE)
07 (10) DRAGON AGE INQUISITION (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (__) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (09) NBA 2K15 (TAKE 2)
10 (__) ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)

Look like Sony is comfortably in lead in the land of
PS4 dumpyard
:)

Should be before the end of the fiscal year for Sony.

I was googling around and found these 2008 numbers

UK & Ireland 2008 Sales:

PS3 - 1M LTD - 1.9M
360 - 1.4M LTD - 3.2M
WII - 2.9M LTD - 4.9M
DS - 3.4M LTD - 8.8M
PSP - 600K LTD - 3.2M

Wii/DS sold twice the amount of PS3/360/PSP. A shame we didn't get PS2 numbers, I want to see how it's holding up.

Yeah seeing how PS3 apparently was at roughly 2m, 2 years after launch I'd say good chance PS4 is now ~2m.

Raist

Banned
Near 1 million in the Middle East
Probably near 2 million in UK

Is that German figure up to date?

That was published sometime in December and is as of November IIRC (hence the >).

I'll add a few, the dates indicate the last included month or date of report:

USA 6.7M (Dec 2014)
UK 1M (Aug 2014)
Germany >1.2M (Nov 2014)
France 1.1M (Dec 2014)
ME ~1M (Dec 2014)
Japan ~1M (Dec 2014)
Italy 500k (est. for 2014 LTD)
Spain 360k (Mid-Oct 2014)
Poland ~100k (Sept 2014)
South Africa 40k (Mid-Sept 2014)

Notable missing ones are Canada and Australia. And another ~100 countries...

The wheels are beginning to fall off, this aren't GT.

Yup. Lack of heavy bundling/discounting is starting to take effect.

I mean we all knew it was bundling and heavy discounting, but some people wanted to delude themselves into thinking things like a weather patch and working online was the real reason.

Still, at least DC now has a decent install base and the IP has a future. So it worked out in the end.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

I mean we all knew it was bundling and heavy discounting, but some people wanted to delude themselves into thinking things like a weather patch and working online was the real reason.

Still, at least DC now has a decent install base and the IP has a future. So it worked out in the end.

I really hope they put together a Driveclub Redux for next year where they put out 3 new locations and the work they've done thus far. Offer it as premium DLC to existing owners but market it as a new game in the series. Too bad that's the only future I see for this game.

I really hope they put together a Driveclub Redux for next year where they put out 3 new locations and the work they've done thus far. Offer it as premium DLC to existing owners but market it as a new game in the series. Too bad that's the only future I see for this game.

A GoTY edition will probably happen at some point.

Calling it a Redux might actually not be a bad idea.

Come on Miles, when you start taking opinions like that seriously you know you've spent to much time on GAF. We all know it was the addition of photo-mode that boosted sales.

Didn't some one say the wii u is doing better because it had more than 2 titles in the chart last week?

Well it is back to reality this week.

Raist

Banned
Here's the PR by the way.

‘Grand Theft Auto V’ (-5%) holds on to No1 for a third consecutive week.

Rockstar/Take 2’s blockbuster has now notched up a total of seven weeks at No1 which is more weeks at No1 than any other GTA title. ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’ (-3%) and ‘FIFA 15’ (-10%) swap places with Activision Blizzard’s title up one place to No2 and ‘FIFA 15’ dropping one place to No3. Deep Silver/Koch’s new release ‘Saints Row IV Re-Elected / Gat Out of Hell’ debuts at No4. It is the chart-topper’s first appearance on PS4 and Xbox One and comes bundled with the new stand-alone expansion. A big retailer promotion on ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ helps boost sales by 401%, propelling it back into the Top 10, up from No30 to No5.

‘Far Cry 4’ (-21%) slips 2 places to No6, ahead of ‘Minecraft: Xbox Edition’ (-4%) which is also down 2 places at No7. Like the Xbox Edition, sales of ‘Minecraft: Playstation Edition’ remain reasonably stable, down only 3%, as it also drops 2 places to No9. ‘Rugby 15’ from Big Ben/Koch debuts at No8, while ‘Ubisoft’s ‘The Crew’ (-22%) falls 4 places to No10.

spwolf

Heh.

I feel we're also discounting the effect of the weather sound patch.

it is all fun and games but when I play DC these days, I always end up being impressed... there is no doubt that worth of mouth will be strong in months to come, especially with constant content updates.... everyone should do it like EVO!

c0de

it is all fun and games but when I play DC these days, I always end up being impressed... there is no doubt that worth of mouth will be strong in months to come, especially with constant content updates.... everyone should do it like EVO!

But it wasn't word of mouth that was responsible for the strong sales the weeks before for Driveclub, no matter how much you like it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Of course. But we can be quite sure that there were other "reasons" for DC climbing the charts at the end of last year and that it is dropping now again.
Sure, i'm just saying that we dont know how much word to mouth affected the sales (it could be basically nothing or a good amount), not denying that other factors also played an important role in the sales :)

Driveclub 2 is a shoo-in. Sony wouldn't allow an extension to create more content which will make it a 70+ track and 100+ car racing game if they didn't view it as a franchise. You're kidding yourself if you think the content for DC now is what it was planned at announcement, Yoshida had them travel to Japan because he thought DC would be a good stand-in for gaps between GTs.

Top Bottom