• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLayStation VR listed on three swiss site for price between 450€-500€

dumbo

The closest headset (technically) to the PSVR is OSVR - and that's $299.

Sony will have production efficiency on their side, but will need to pay for the headmount and breakout box.

Personally, I think $3xx-4xx seems likely (including tax).

Sanpei

450€-500€

Pst3A.gif

DevilsClaw1991

Neo Member
"der aktuelle Preis basiert lediglich auf Vorankündigungen, welche z.B. in den Medien erwähnt wurden, diese können sich bis zum definitiven Erscheinen des Produktes ändern!"

They even say it here: "The price is based on preannouncements which where mentioned in the media. Those can change until the product is released."

Emedan

Why do people keep making these threads about price listings at retailers when we already know retailers set place holder prices?

Relativ9

Not that I doubt the price will be somewhere around there (probably 399$), but give me international rumors at least. All this means is that one Swiss website guessed the price and put it up for pre-orderes, while the two others didn't want to loose out (since they cater to the same market) and copied the first site.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The closest headset (technically) to the PSVR is OSVR - and that's $299.

Sony will have production efficiency on their side, but will need to pay for the headmount and breakout box.

Personally, I think $3xx-4xx seems likely (including tax).

OSVR kit is $299. Oculus DK2 was also in the same price range.

I don't really get why people are upset/disappointed by the current price of VR. If you look at other high end consumer electronics $599 is on par with what someone would spend on a new high quality TV/Monitor-- which is essentially what VR is, except with more bells and whistles.

If companies aimed at the $300-$400 price range to meet the demand of what the average consumer wants we would end up with either a poor device that wouldn't meet expectations, or the company selling it would take a extremely huge loss trying to provide a high end device.

If you can't afford the initial price, start saving up now. If it is still to expensive for your tastes, wait a few years and there will most likely be a more affordable consumer friendly device.

Why do people keep making these threads about price listings at retailers when we already know retailers set place holder prices?

Because that information tends to be solid as fuck.
I don't know about you, but I would have totally forgot to pick up The BioShock Remastered Collection on Nov 27th last year, without those threads.

Anyone who says "too expensive" need to understand - this isn't being targeted towards you.
The thing is though last year companies seemed to use words like 'mass market' and projected 'millions' of sales which indicated it was targeted towards me. Whether they have gone back on it now or there had always been a miscommunication between publisher and consumer is irrelevant. These companies set an expectation which they failed to meet and they therefore deserve this backlash.

I can't wait to try out VR but it's unlikely that I'll buy it for a good few years at this point.

I want it, but I'm not paying more than the PS4 was at launch ($550 AUD... about $400 USD).

That's what I had planned for my Rift purchase but they blew that way out, so no deal. This is Sony's chance to get me to buy one.

nib95

Banned
Doesn't mean much, but if it were true it'd be too high. With all high prices, I feel VR might have a tough road ahead, at least in terms of mass adoption.

kyser73

Well you say that but that's the price they had to hit for me to be even remotely interested and that goes pretty much for all of my friends, even those who actually have a job and could afford it no problem :p

None of you have an early adopter mindset then.

This pricing issue isn't hard to work out - if you aren't interested over a certain price point, that will determine when you jump in. Early adopters tend to be prepared to pay a significant premium on what amounts to a bet that their purchase will be a successful product.

You and your friends, and many others, aren't prepared to pay that premium. As a general rule neither am I but for VR I'm making an exception.

Shredderi

None of you have an early adopter mindset then.

This pricing issue isn't hard to work out - if you aren't interested over a certain price point, that will determine when you jump in. Early adopters tend to be prepared to pay a significant premium on what amounts to a bet that their purchase will be a successful product.

You and your friends, and many others, aren't prepared to pay that premium. As a general rule neither am I but for VR I'm making an exception.

Not for this, no. I am an early adopter in many other things though. PS3, PS4 etc. I would be for this too if there was a killer app or two. It's pretty much impossible to communicate the greatness of VR through videos and trailers so it's no wonder I'm not all hot and bothered about it yet.

kyser73

The thing is though last year companies seemed to use words like 'mass market' and projected 'millions' of sales which indicated it was targeted towards me. Whether they have gone back on it now or there had always been a miscommunication between publisher and consumer is irrelevant. These companies set an expectation which they failed to meet and they therefore deserve this backlash.

I can't wait to try out VR but it's unlikely that I'll buy it for a good few years at this point.

Can you support that first sentence with any actual quotes?

As recently as 2 months ago, Andrew House quoted an IHS report stating year total VR HMD sales to be ~2.6mn across PS4 & PC.

Palmer Luckey is the person who made proclamations about price, no-one else.

Jacknapes

I'm expecting it to be £399, sounds reasonable to me. Always expected Sony to bring the price in under the Rift and the Vive, considering we've already some of the hardware already in the form of the PS4.

Consumer

With how bad the CAD is, the difference would be more than $50.

Personally I expect 299~359 USD (assuming bare VR product ie no controllers/camera).

If only. 350 US is like 500 CAD right now.

Shit, you're right... $350 USD --> $500+ CAD currently. But then again, PS+ (1 yr) is $50 in both US/CA, even though it should be ~$72 in CAD. Perhaps that just means I should buy PS+ before the imminent price hike. :p

It's so surreal how USD/CAD was on par just a couple years ago with $60 games, and now we're paying $90+ for new games after tax. All the more reason to wait a couple more years for a stronger currency or PSVR price drop -- whichever comes first.

Kinan

I'm thinking what they will pack in with the headset. One the one hand, PS4 camera is a must, I think, but I (and a lot of other people) already have it. So there could be some price tiers, like Headset bare (399€), Headset+Camera "normal" bundle (449€), Headset+Camera+PS Move controller(s) - 499€. + Download code for RIGS in every box. :p

Marlenus

I have no clue how much PSVR will cost but what I do know is that when PS4 was announced with 8GB GDDR5 people thought it would be more expensive than it ended up being and I can see the same happening here.

We also don't know if it is one SKU or multiple so maybe the cheapest one with just the headset and breakout box will be say $349 and one with two move controllers and the camera will be $449 or something.

Xun

this first run is going to be like the disc add-ons in the late 80s and early 90s: necessary steps for developers, and wowing the audience who can afford them, but not successful commercially.

they're growing pains for what we'll get 5 years from now, when prices are mainstream and developers have had time to understand the tech better.

By coming down in price as the hardware evolves like any new technology. They don't hit mainstream appeal straight away.

The same was said about TVs, HDTVs and PCs. Don't forget that systems like a Pentium 60 with a whopping 1GB of space were between $2k and $4k at launch. "Never going to be mainstream."
To be honest I'm still not convinced VR will reach the mainstream.

It's too much of a singular experience, and for that reason I see AR standing a better chance with the mainstream.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm thinking what they will pack in with the headset. One the one hand, PS4 camera is a must, I think, but I (and a lot of other people) already have it. So there could be some price tiers, like Headset bare (399€), Headset+Camera "normal" bundle (449€), Headset+Camera+PS Move controller(s) - 499€. + Download code for RIGS in every box. :p

Even if people already have a camera, putting out there a SKU that just don't work (without the camera) seems like a disaster in the making.

Guerrilla

Sony is a billion dollar company. They can easily afford it.

The question should be would it be considered worth doing it? It would be yes if you look at their history of pushing certain media before.

PS1 = CD's (won)
PS2 = DVD's (won)
PS3 = Blu-ray (won, but at a huge cost)
PS4 = VR (???)

It also helps that PS4 itself is profitable, so they would only be losing half the money from pushing VR, instead of losing out on both.

well CDs and DVDs were already well established before Sony released the ps1/ps2. The only time they really were at the forefront with optical media was with the PS3. Additionally VR is vastly different than optical media. We are soooooo far away from a "standard" ala HDReady FullHD and so on. They are not biting the bullet to establish a periferal that will be obsolete in 2-3 years. PSVR2 will be vastly different to this iteration in every way. I'm failry certain not a single game made for PSVR2 will be playable on PSVR.

PSVR will be at least 400€, we just have to deal with that.

iceatcs

So variable. It going to be fun. I can't wait to see the meltdown.

too cheap = crap
too expensive - DOA.

inevitable

itsgreen

Sony isn't going to subsidize this... or any product for that matter... Sony simply can't afford it.

The times where manufacturers were willing to take a loss on every product sold are over...

People who are thinking 299 for this thing are silly.

The same goes for HTC's Vive, don't be surprised if it is priced significantly above Oculus... HTC can't afford to sell at loss either. Not only that, they have to make money on the device...HTC don't even own the eco system...

Donos

Sony isn't going to subsidize this... or any product for that matter... Sony simply can't afford it.

The times where manufacturers were willing to take a loss on every product sold are over...

People who are thinking 299 for this thing are silly.

The same goes for HTC's Vive, don't be surprised if it is priced significantly above Oculus... HTC can't afford to sell at loss either. Not only that, they have to make money on the device...HTC don't even own the eco system...

A lot of people thought the Vita would be more expensive at launch.
A lot of people thought the PS4 would be more expensive at launch (because of 8GB GDDR5)

It's really not set in stone and it still can go either way depending how much faith Sony has in this as the next big thing (Move probably made them a bit cautious though so that would rather speak for more expensive price with less hit on every unit).

Don't think it will be 299 €, too. Just that it won't be 500 € imo.

DavidDesu

Can people mocking $299 please tell me what is in PSVR that makes it come close or even MORE than a PS4 is currently worth? Seriously, have a think about it. PSVR can only be successful if they give us a price like that, and I think they're going to deliver. I don't know what people think is in the system to make it cost as much as a PS4, the PS4 that has a bluray drive, HDD, powerful GPU and CPU.... There's a high tech screen and some optics. Everything else is stuff found in DS4's like gyros and some LED's. A box that has a modest processor of some kind to de-warp the image and send it to a TV.. that's it.

EDIT: I expect it to be £300 in the UK, max, for a standalone SKU. £400 max for camera and moves. PS4 was £350 on release in the UK (a lot cheaper than many expected)... I don't see PSVR going beyond that. $400 US dollars.

So variable. It going to be fun. I can't wait to see the meltdown.

too cheap = crap
too expensive - DOA.

inevitable
Yup the thread will be glorious just like the rift thread. Funny enough people were shouting DOA in there too tho i seem to believe the rift is already sold out.

Here in the US, the PS4 has a msrp of $349.99 and if Sony wants PSVR to be successful they have to match that price or preferably go below.

Future folks posting, please spare me the patronizing "do you have any idea the technology that's in the headset?" Of course I do. Of course it's going to be expensive and a niche product af the beginning.

But Sony has to bite the bullet. No fucking way this product is a hit outta the gate if it's priced more than the system itself. Why? Because of optics. No way consumers will pay more money for a product that's ostensibly a peripheral.

Yup I just said it. PERIPHERAL when in the history of consumer electronics has a peripheral priced more than the product it's supposed to be used in tandem with been successful? Never.

Someone, anyone please tell me otherwise with a straight face. FOH!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can people mocking $299 please tell me what is in PSVR that makes it come close or even MORE than a PS4 is currently worth? Seriously, have a think about it. PSVR can only be successful if they give us a price like that, and I think they're going to deliver. I don't know whar people think is in the system to make it cost as much as a PS4, the PS4 that has a bluray drive, HDD, powerful GPU and CPU.... There's a high tech screen and some optics. Everything else is stuff found in DS4's like gyros and some LED's. A box that has a modest processor of some kind to de-warp the image and send it to a TV.. that's it.

Assuming oculus are being honest that the $600 OR is being sold at cost, that might recalibrate some people's expectations around how much it costs to make these things.

PSVR should be cheaper - a single screen is cheaper than two, and also means no IPD adjustment mechanism so that saves cost too. Also no need to bundle a DS4 (and maybe no camera either in the base model). And I think it doesn't come with headphones either.

then consider that Sony should be more experienced at building hardware so might be able to cut some costs there.

Even so, dropping the price in half seems a bit of a stretch. Personally I think it could be around $399 for the headset. I would be pleasantly surprised if it was any lower, but not too surprised if it was higher (especially if they put a camera in all versions)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here in the US, the PS4 has a msrp of $349.99 and if Sony wants PSVR to be successful they have to match that price or preferably go below.

Future folks posting, please spare me the patronizing "do you have any idea the technology that's in the headset?" Of course I do. Of course it's going to be expensive and a niche product af the beginning.

But Sony has to bite the bullet. No fucking way this product is a hit outta the gate if it's priced more than the system itself. Why? Because of optics. No way consumers will pay more money for a product that's ostensibly a peripheral.

Yup I just said it. PERIPHERAL when in the history of consumer electronics has a peripheral priced more than the product it's supposed to be used in tandem with been successful? Never.

Someone, anyone please tell me otherwise with a straight face. FOH!!

I can buy a thrustmaster T500 steering wheel right now that costs more than my PS4.

Sony have said they don't expect massive volumes on this. That suggests it is going to be expensive and aimed at early adopters. As such, Sony may not feel the need to 'bite the bullet" and would prefer not to lose money per unit

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Placeholders, but no matter the final price it will always be too much for the mass market imo.

RibMan

Anyone who says "too expensive" need to understand - this isn't being targeted towards you.

I disagree. The target audience for PSVR is the current and future PS4 userbase, meaning that the device is targeting consumers who have spent or will spend at least $299.99 on a PS4. Pricing the PSVR above what the PS4 initially retailed for ($399.99) is, without a doubt, an expensive pricepoint for both casual and enthusiast users. I don't think Sony is foolish enough to believe $499.99 is cheap for an accessory, so even if they price it at $499.99, they wouldn't dare come out and say "It's not expensive".

Personally, I think $299.99 could happen. $399.99 is the safe bet, but there's no fun in playing it safe! Obviously, Sony's continued silence on the price doesn't fill me with hope in regards to the $299.99 point, but to be honest, I don't think a $399.99 PSVR would be unwelcomed. Oculus going for $599.99 has made a $399.99 PSVR much more 'digestible', if that makes sense.

cheezcake

Can people mocking $299 please tell me what is in PSVR that makes it come close or even MORE than a PS4 is currently worth? Seriously, have a think about it. PSVR can only be successful if they give us a price like that, and I think they're going to deliver. I don't know what people think is in the system to make it cost as much as a PS4, the PS4 that has a bluray drive, HDD, powerful GPU and CPU.... There's a high tech screen and some optics. Everything else is stuff found in DS4's like gyros and some LED's. A box that has a modest processor of some kind to de-warp the image and send it to a TV.. that's it.

EDIT: I expect it to be £300 in the UK, max, for a standalone SKU. £400 max for camera and moves. PS4 was £350 on release in the UK (a lot cheaper than many expected)... I don't see PSVR going beyond that. $400 US dollars.

COGS = direct material costs + direct labour costs + manufacturing overhead.

When you're building a new device like a VR headset which also has relatively paltry production amounts COGS takes a larger hit because the cost of NRE's has less units to be dispersed over.

DOA if over 299. There is still nothing on the software side that will push the thing.

Agreed. Because if it's priced out of the mass market then the key software will never arrive. It'll be like the Vita/Move/Kinect all over again.
Though personally I can't see it going any other way without a price of 199 or lower.

Hopefully Sony are well aware they're going to make a loss here, are okay with that, and just see the PS4 iteration of PSVR as a means of testing the water, both for hardware design and software mechanics, to better inform a real attempt at mass market VR on the PS5. Then again, if they bundle the PS5 with PSVR to entice software development, they risk running into the same issues Microsoft did this gen when their competition's console is $100+ cheaper...

Top Bottom