• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which celebrity or celebrities deaths would affect you the most?

gatling

When Iain (m) Banks died I was a wreck. Didnt read for a month even though I knew he was going to pass. Ive never read the quarry because I know its the last things published before his death so hes not really dead yet.

Im not sure what would hurt next. Cant know until it happens.

El-Suave

I think the worst is behind me when the goalkeeper of my favorite football team commited suicide, Robert Enke of Hannover 96. He suffered from depression nobody outside his family knew about. He was a huge idol for the entire region. I was miserable for a long time.

Bowie and Prince affected me quite a bit. Especially Bowie.
The one that I was surprised at the effect it had on me was Leonard Nimoy. One of those people that I didn't realize meant so much to me until they were gone.

As for who is left, I am really not sure who would really throw me for a loop. Most of the celebrities/artists that have had a profound impact on my life are already gone.

Hayao Miyazaki, Betty White, the Coen Brothers and their regulars (Goodman, Cage, Mcdormand, Bridges, etc...), any member of the McElroys

zulux21

I was thinking about this after chester and one of the only people that I could think of that would hit me as hard if I woke up tomorrow to read he hung himself would be Weird Al.

I was thinking about this after chester and one of the only people that I could think of that would hit me as hard if I woke up tomorrow to read he hung himself would be Weird Al.

Thinking about it, that would probably fuck with me big time. He was a huge influence on my twisted way of thinking as a kid in the 80s. And I love him even more now that I approach 40.

BlueWord

I worry about Bob Dylan. I'll forever regret never seeing Leonard Cohen on his final tours, and I haven't yet seen Dylan in concert. Springsteen, too, although the guy is in such fantastic shape that I wouldn't bet against him outliving me.

Clint Eastwood will be rough, despite his political weirdness in recent years.

Sean Connery is getting up there, too. Guy was a big part of my childhood.

Bowie and Prince affected me quite a bit. Especially Bowie.
The one that I was surprised at the effect it had on me was Leonard Nimoy. One of those people that I didn't realize meant so much to me until they were gone.

These three, along with Leonard Cohen, really hurt.

JustinT

Neo Member
Trent Reznor, Eddie Vedder, Miyamoto, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart.

Celebrity deaths don't usually get to me, but George Romero and Chris Cornell's wrecked me.

zulux21

Thinking about it, that would probably fuck with me big time. He was a huge influence on my twisted way of thinking as a kid in the 80s. And I love him even more now that I approach 40.

yeah it wasn't an immediate thing I came to. I was actually reading about milo murphy's law coming back when it suddenly dawned on me how much weird al has influenced me and how if a guy who has brought me so much joy killed himself would hit me.

Just like how robin Williams hurt when that happened to him.

In general I don't have to much attachment to celebrities but a few of them rally have made a huge impact on my life even though I have never met them.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
My two celeb heroes: Arnold, and Oprah.

2 of the most gangster mother fuckers on the planet. I will legit cry when either of them die.

gappvembe

Any and every one of these guys (two already 😔):

ffcae63363022a5a7dac5de6d9f72082.jpg

580a5c063211d0779e853ffba85c5654--kiss-pictures-kiss-rock.jpg

The only celeb death that affected me was Ryan Dunn. I don't even know why. Maybe it's because he didn't feel like a "celeb" to me.

I can't really think of any other celebs who's death would affect me. They just feel too distant.

old

It's always the comedians. They always hurt the most.

Jon Stewart
Stephen Colbert
Will Ferrel
Chris Pratt

Also GRRM and JK Rowling.

Robin Williams taking circumstances into account, didn't really hit at the time but sitting with it made me realize how mental health has to be just as much a personal priority as physical.

Spielberg.

To the point where I'll be furious if the Academy doesn't create some equivalent ongoing award ala the Cecil B Demille award.

Should honestly just replace the Demille award with a Spielberg award.

jett

D-Member
This thread's premise is pretty gloomy.

The only celebrity death that has ever affected me emotionally was Michael Jackson. So I really don't see anyone getting close to that.

cyber_ninja

I'm just making this thread because for me having Chester Bennington it's hit me hard. I grew up with their music and helped me in rough spots in my life. Even though it's been almost a week it still something I think about quite a bit.

What about the rest of you gaf?

Chester's death hit me super hard... I'm still shocked and full of denial. I'll answer your question in a day or two...

smurfx

get some go again
maybe arnold schwarzenegger.

edit: saw it mentioned and yeah when miyamoto passes it will greatly affect me.

Few years ago I'd say George RR Martin. When I was fully enraptured by ASOIAF, it would have crushed me if he died suddenly, when I was optimistic that he'd finish the books.

But since being disappointed by the last two books, and generally getting burned out by the series, I've come to accept that he'll never finish it and so now it's sort of inconsequential to me.

Maybe like... Bill Belichick if he suddenly died, because I'm a Patriots fan and they'd start losing again.

But for the most part, I'd be like "eh..." I wouldn't be emotionally troubled or upset by the death of any celebrity. THough if I like their books, sports, etc., then that would affect me tangentially. If Donald Trump died then that would probably have the biggest affect on my life, just from the point of view that most of the news would not be covering Donald Trump, where as, today it is, and so I read/listen to a disproportionate amount of Trump-talk. THat'd have a big affect on my life, but I would not be sad or emotionally affected.

Top Bottom