• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explain Your Username

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago when I played DDR, nobody knew my name so they called me the kid with red shoes. Later I was honored the name from a good friend of mine.

Crazylegs

It's a nickname given to me by my old soccer team. I make believe it was a compliment.

And, yes, gamers do play sports, thank you very much.

Gigglepoo

I honestly have no idea. I was writing a short story in 1999 and used this as the codename (I hate thinking up titles), but I have no idea where I came up with Gigglepoo. It had nothing to do with my story, I know that.

Ogni-XR21

Leunam said:
My first name spelled backwards.

HIGH FIVE!

Only that I added a "surname" to make it unique. I always liked the number 21 (the house I grew up in was number 21) and I kind of liked XR when I came up with the name.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Inanna is a goddess. Sounds similar to my old username (which is also my middle name) Ilanna, but people kept misspelling it (ilana or illana) so I had it changed. :p

bengraven

Was a pen name as well as my "Sherlock Holmes" (a character appearing in the majority of my works).

Yes, my name is not Ben. It's Ryan.

So there is a band called Flipper. Cool logo so I needed a really stupid name for counter strike tfc and day of defeat so I picked it and used their logo as my spray tag. So fast forward to me play Starcraft on battle.net and Flipper not being available so I added zzz in the middle just like that and bam. So nerdy.

oracrest

From The Hobbit, Thorin has a sword called "Orcrist"

I grew up watching the Rankin/Bass animation all the time, and was quite fond of it.

So I intentionally spelled it a little wrong, so nobody else would have that username for anything.

People tell me they think of Whale toothpaste... :\

Fireye

Way back in the heyday of the interwebs (circa 1995), I tried to sign up for the Nintendo Power boards, or something similarlly silly. When my usual name was taken (firstinitial lastname), I had to go think up a new one. Fire, Eye, Fireye! Sharing the E, brilliant! Or at least, I thought so.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Was playing Red Alert 2 and liked the russian Desolator Units a lot, but Desolator was so generic that my younger self thought Des0lar was much cooler.

Well, wouldn't choose that name now, but I'll stick with it :lol

bjork

Fireye said:
Way back in the heyday of the interwebs (circa 1995), I tried to sign up for the Nintendo Power boards, or something similarlly silly. When my usual name was taken (firstinitial lastname), I had to go think up a new one. Fire, Eye, Fireye! Sharing the E, brilliant! Or at least, I thought so.

Kinda like Pope Eye!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye was stoner slang for having red eyes when I was younger, and was briefly the name of my band. Also: Star Wars.

Sniv was the name of a comic character I made up when I was 10; I would write Batman fanfic where Sniv was a blatant Mary-Sue of me so I could hang out with Batman and Robin. I must have drawn around 100 fake covers for comics as well, coming up with dozens of complex long running stories each of which I'd imagine as I drew the cover. Sniv started off as a rip on the Kevin O'Neil character in the Batmite books but I revamped him in my teens with a pretty badass costume that still kinda works :)lol ).

Combined the two while looking for a unique user name for various web-things.

I was thinking about a nickname when I was 13 or so. So I was browsing through an english dictionary in search for a cool word. Finally found "slaughter", thought it was badass back then and picked it for my new nickname. Added "king" to make it more mighty.
Years later I realized how stupid it was and how it makes no sense at all. But I and others were used to it so I didn't really think about changing it and now I'm stuck with this name for almost ten years.
My only excuse is that I'm no native english speaker -- so when I was 13 I was in no real position to have a feeling for what might be a cool thing in english and what is not cool at all.

Devildoll

comes from joe sparks flash movies

radiskull and devildoll

http://www.joesparks.com/radiskull/

10-11 years ago i got banned from a counter-strike server , my nick was maveric.
it was only a temporary ban however since the admin on the server thought i was a bit too good and ruined his funtime.

i had just found joe sparks comic and took the name , was around 9-10 years old at the time.

since then my internet alias has always been devildoll , not super original , but decent i guess.

lawblob said:
Bob Loblaw, a character on Arrested Development.

bob-loblaw1.jpg
But that isn't your name...

ascii42

About 10 years ago when I was in middle school, I downloaded ICQ to chat with a friend. He told me to come up with a 1337 hAcker name. So I chose ASCII. I added 42 because of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. ascii42 is my gmail, my GAF name, my PSN name, and my XBOX Live name.

Nose Master

Wanted something without numbers back in the AOL days, have a superiority complex. Random. Stuck since then :lol. Makes registering in public using my email a fun experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom