• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

duckroll

Do you guys customize or use auto for chips, seems like auto doesn't do a great job but not sure.

Customize. Why would any self respecting RPG player use auto assign for a skill customization system? Lol. The game has no way of knowing what sort of build you want to make.

LotusHD

Banned
Customize. Why would any self respecting RPG player use auto assign for a skill customization system? Lol. The game has no way of knowing what sort of build you want to make.

Yea I didn't know how whatever the game would do could possibly be better than me just doing it manually, so I never even touched it lol

duckroll

On the other hand, the auto-arrange feature is super helpful. I didn't try using it until I started replaying the game since I thought it was like the auto builds.

You mean Optimize placement? I use that all the time. Before I add any new chips, if I'm going to be removing stuff, I remove all the chips I don't need, then I optimize before adding the new ones. Isn't that how everyone does it?!

HardRojo

I just found the
Animal-loving machine
in the Forest area. I
spared him and the animals and a sad song started playing. I feel bad about killing machines now 😢

What if I'm actually the bad guy? :(

LotusHD

Banned
I just found the
Animal-loving machine
in the Forest area. I
spared him and the animals and a sad song started playing. I feel bad about killing machines now 😢

You get some quests from him. I recommend them, they're pretty interesting,

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I just found the
Animal-loving machine
in the Forest area. I

What if I'm actually the bad guy? :(

Wait,
the carnival robots and pascal's village didn't clue you in? :p

Got ending B.
I was guessing 'humanity' was gone early on, but the build-up to the revelation was great (I really loved all the hacking space stuff), and I'm looking forward to seeing them expand on it going forward. Definitely expecting it to not be quite as simple as "yep, they're gone" - curious to see if gestalts play in at all - but I'd also be perfectly happy if humanity wasn't much of a factor at all going forward and the story was just about how the androids deal with a potentially "meaningless" existence. I remain suspicious about the game's timeline with resets and wiped memories and all. Also had a pretty great "WAIT wtf was that" moment when I just barely noticed the hologram by the flight unit toward the end.

Probably won't be able to pick it back up until next week, but I'm really excited to see what comes next. (After a second playthrough that largely mirrored the first, this kind of feels like MGSV if it actually had Act 3 to look forward to lol)

HardRojo

Wait,
the carnival robots and pascal's village didn't clue you in? :p
For some reason it didn't hit me that bad in those 2 instances, but the moment the Animal-loving machine went nuts to protect those animals I broke inside a little, then the sad music started playing and I just wanted to hug a machine forever.

Kaelan

Just finished Route B, honestly while it gave some context it didn't feel as fulfilling as I thought it would. It had a nice revelation here or there which explained some things in Route A, but I don't get why those things couldn't be explained in Route A. Hyped for Route C to start and I'm gonna do that tomorrow

Renekton

pODRuNR.png

Source

BTW I wonder if Nier would be even better if they combined all content into one playthru.

Source

BTW I wonder if Nier would be even better if they combined all content into one playthru.

I can see what you mean. Switching between 9S and 2B in the first half and 9S and A2 in the second half would keep those narrative punches coming. It'd be the kind of story that doesn't let up. Automata condensed would be a compelling game in its own way, but I think Yoko Taro was aiming for players to have pauses and downtime to digest what they've learned from the new perspective. The game, as it's structured right now, allows the player to slowly realize nothing is what it seems, a sort of dawning horror. Adam talks about how he thinks it's better for him and Eve to read books even though downloading data is faster because the time and effort allows them to absorb the info better. I think Yoko had the same mentality about the structure of the game. It feels kind of like a novel, or chapters from a manga. Some think his multi-medium approach is an annoyance, but I feel it's part of why the "Yoko Taro" experience is so unique.

sasliquid

Just got past the first ending. Died right at the end of the tutorial again which kicks you to the main menu. Really pisses me off, I'm going to take a break, not sure if I'll come back tho.

Mash83

I just finished route C,D and E and I am so glad I stuck with this game. It didn't really click with me until just before the first ending. Started playing route C yesterday and nearly gave up when they start taking "functions" away from you. I went to YouTube to watch the C ending and it just felt wrong.

Went back to give it another shot and finished it up today. Great story, great ending. Had a huge smile on my face during the credits and
pod conversation

I just finished route C,D and E and I am so glad I stuck with this game. It didn't really click with me until just before the first ending.
Same for me too. Felt overwhelmed at the beginning and put the game down for a month or two, came back and now I've just completed Route C. I really like how This game becomes more grim with each consecutive playthrough and the story is actually good. Very unique premise and an interesting perspective on things. I encourage anyone who's so-so to push on until the first ending.

Also, adding auto-everything chips and playing on easy made this game very enjoyable for me (I couldn't keep track of my character despite changing the camera options). Saved my ass many times when I'd nod off.

LotusHD

Banned
Yup, I say it every now and then, but Nier's one of the few games where it'd be genuinely good advice to push someone to finish it.

HardRojo

Man I'm so hooked, I want to keep playing.
Beat the bigass aquatic machine, 9S went missing, found him in the Copied City or whatever, beat Adam. Most side quests seem to be disabled for the time being?

LotusHD

Banned
Man I'm so hooked, I want to keep playing.
Beat the bigass aquatic machine, 9S went missing, found him in the Copied City or whatever, beat Adam. Most side quests seem to be disabled for the time being?

They're gone for this route because you got to the Flooded City. You can do them again in Route B. If you still end up missing them, don't worry, nothing is permanently missable.

I finished this game despite complaining about it a few weeks ago. I loved the C ending and the D ending was pretty good. I didn't really like the gameplay(would be better without the hacking mini game), but the story was good. It started out great, died a bit, and then picked up after the B ending(though the side stories you get in B's gameplay was good). When I finished and got the E ending, I wanted more and looked up fan made wiki's and youtube videos.

If anyone has links that goes more in depth regarding the storyline, please do share.

Coreda

Not quite understanding this. I died with various useful chips during a sidequest, retrieved the dead body, the screen stated I'd gained the XP and chips back, so I quick saved. Minutes later I check my chips and notice all the good chips are gone (some are weaker versions of the chips I previously had, while others are missing entirely).

I was under the impression retrieving the last dead body restored the chips, no?

If I'd obtained the chips in my last play session I'd have had a backup copy on hand on the backup drive but alas I hadn't.

Edit 2: *scratch that*. I'd forgotten about an earlier death. Oh geez. So it's entirely my fault for forgetting about the earlier death.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I finished this game despite complaining about it a few weeks ago. I loved the C ending and the D ending was pretty good. I didn't really like the gameplay(would be better without the hacking mini game), but the story was good. It started out great, died a bit, and then picked up after the B ending(though the side stories you get in B's gameplay was good). When I finished and got the E ending, I wanted more and looked up fan made wiki's and youtube videos.

If anyone has links that goes more in depth regarding the storyline, please do share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehM1m5-TG5g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yfA94EpeqM
https://planckstorytime.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/nier-automata-analysis/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7PAynNH8s
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-hidden-humanity-in-nier-automata-fashion
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/giant-bombs-alex-navarro-joins-us-to-spoil-nier-automata
https://slinkfm.com/2017/03/21/episode-74-not-nierly-enough/

Supplemental stuff.
http://mintychu.dreamwidth.org/tag/automata

Quonny

So just cleared Ending A. I know it's not supposed to be the whole picture, but uh, that just ended. Like, hmm, here's-a-kinda-interesting-little-filler-mission-oh-wait-something-happened-aaaaand-it's-over.

LotusHD

Banned
So just cleared Ending A. I know it's not supposed to be the whole picture, but uh, that just ended. Like, hmm, here's-a-kinda-interesting-little-filler-mission-oh-wait-something-happened-aaaaand-it's-over.

Yup, keep playing, it's not an uncommon reaction.

This game sure is something. I Thought the credits were pretty interesting and totally unexpected haha really enjoyed my time with this and ill probably chase the platinum.

I think a director's cut that ties everything together in one playthrough would help a lot.

Keep pushing on!

1upsuper

This game sure is something. I Thought the credits were pretty interesting and totally unexpected haha really enjoyed my time with this and ill probably chase the platinum.

Go for it. It's a pretty easy platinum given how much content is in the game that you don't have to do to get the platinum.

Hektor

Starting today, you can download the Emil Shop Song for FREE as part of our NieR: Automata Emil Shop Song Lyric Video Contest!

[NORTH AMERICA ONLY]

The grand prize for this contest is an extremely rare NieR: Automata Black Box Edition signed by YOKO TARO

All you need to do is make a NieR music video featuring this awesome track with on screen lyrics. Whether you want to use your own fan art, video capture from the game or screenshots, it's your call. All we ask is that you somehow incorporate the loveable Emil into the music video for our judges. Speaking of judges... our very own game director, YOKO TARO, will be the one selecting the winners so be sure to put your best foot forward.

Are you ready to show us what you've got? Get started by downloading the MP3 and lyric files here: http://bit.ly/emilshopcontest

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/nier-automata-emil-shop-song-lyric-video-contest

Starting today, you can download the Emil Shop Song for FREE as part of our NieR: Automata Emil Shop Song Lyric Video Contest!

[NORTH AMERICA ONLY]

The grand prize for this contest is an extremely rare NieR: Automata Black Box Edition signed by YOKO TARO

All you need to do is make a NieR music video featuring this awesome track with on screen lyrics. Whether you want to use your own fan art, video capture from the game or screenshots, it's your call. All we ask is that you somehow incorporate the loveable Emil into the music video for our judges. Speaking of judges… our very own game director, YOKO TARO, will be the one selecting the winners so be sure to put your best foot forward.

Are you ready to show us what you've got? Get started by downloading the MP3 and lyric files here: http://bit.ly/emilshopcontest

http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/nier-automata-emil-shop-song-lyric-video-contest
As the english version of this track is one of the main things missing from the OST, I'm extremely thankful for this.

Rent a motorized scooter and ride it around town while wearing a big cardboard box. Film yourself driving through a field picking up crap and putting price tags on it. If you can't get a sweet accordion arm like actual Emil then just stick a broom through the box and put a boxing glove on the end.

Maybe get some friends to lie on the ground as dead androids while you loot their corpses.

6:10:50

Neo Member
I'm so painfully bad at the hacking minigame. I can do the basic ones, but anything beyond that just leads to getting kicked out. Clearly I'm not destined for dual-stick shooter success in other titles.

I'm so painfully bad at the hacking minigame. I can do the basic ones, but anything beyond that just leads to getting kicked out. Clearly I'm not destined for dual-stick shooter success in other titles.

You can set the game temporarily to easy and equip the auto-shoot and auto-dodge chips, and the hacking minigame will play itself.

Kaelan

I just finished route c and did D and E and holy SHIT man... What a rollercoaster of emotion.... one of the best games I've ever played hands down. Major spoilers here:
the fight between A2 and 92 was so freaking cool adn the way it switched. One of the best bits was in the credits sequence and I had to get help, it was freaking awesome being able to play it back in exchange for my save, which I did. Got chills when the game thanked me for playing.
Man this is a game that is beautiful and full of emotion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Need some help guys, I just picked up the 'auto scanner' from two familiar redheads but I don't know what to do with it now.

It seems that Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley are planning to perform a fan translation of all the stage scripts from the recent Nier concerts (at some unspecified future time, so it's probably best to just keep an eye on this channel https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley).

(Mentioned offhand in reddit comments by one of the mods on Kyle McCarley's Twitch channel: https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/6c8tii/translation_all_5_english_automata_concert/)
those two are a treasure

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You need to equip it on your Pod.

Progression Spoilers:
Or go to the locked Elevator in the City Ruins Cave.

Thanks, I had it equipped and pretty much ran across the entire world, went back to the ruined coast
and saw it was pointing to some damaged YorHA models and that helped me move on.

emiliano

Starting the game anew, this time in normal. It is exactly like some of you people described it here, it's not so punitive as hard, and the combat is much more enjoyable, because there's no need to use a chip setup heavily defensive, allowing you to play around with it.
I'm now running it with bare hands with
the cypress stick
as heavy weapon, didn't expected it was so fun. I'll not put aside the game until all the side quests are completed, but this game is still giving me tons of fun.

DryvBy

I'm completely stuck on a quest. This dumb recon squad. It says to gather new enemy detail. Cool. How do I even do that? I'm at 85% and completely stuck on this. I don't even know how I've been gathering it before.

Top Bottom