• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Park Baseball 18 (OOTP18) - Official Thread and NeoGAF League

From the things that no one but me cares about, my Padre lineup is developing quite well, 7 starters are going to start the season at 60 or over OVR.

Of course, on the pitching side, only 3 relievers over 50 OVR, and no starter over 30 OVR.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

norm9

Does anyone have a link or have the time to explain the step by step things you do everytime you log into the game for the league?

I was kicked off a few (?) seasons ago and the little I did play, I wasn't sure I was doing what I was supposed to. Not being familiar with the game did a number on motivation. I'd hop back into the gaf league with the new iteration but not being sure of what I'm supposed to be gives me pause.

During the season:

1. Open Game
2. Download Latest League File
3. Open Mail
4. Respond to injuries by moving to DL if needed
5. Assess lineup and positions and move players if needed (or promote/demote players)
6. Assess pitching rotation and move players if needed (or promote/demote players)
7. Check Waiver Wire to see if there's anything interesting
8. Export Team

During the offseason/beginning of the season, it's less methodical, but trying to accomplish these goals:

-. Identify weaknesses on your team as well as potential players to trade
-. Go after free agents to improve your team
-. Look at other teams' rosters to identify potential trades
-. PM other owners with trade suggestions (or post in this thread)
-. Replace retiring staff or retiring players
-. Assess your farm system and see if you need more prospects or current players

norm9

During the season:
5. Assess lineup and positions and move players if needed (or promote/demote players)
6. Assess pitching rotation and move players if needed (or promote/demote players)
7. Check Waiver Wire to see if there's anything interesting

thanks for the response.

I guess #5 and #6 is what stumps me the most. How does it work for lineup changes if each day the game sims a whole week. Like let's say I notice that the SS is in a slump the past week. I want to take him out and replace him with a backup, but only for a game or two. That's not possible with a 7 game sim, right?

Or another hypothetical- Let's say I only want my relief pitcher to play during the 3 game homestand but I want him lower in my list when on away games during that week and have him be 8th inning setup. Is that possible?

eta- when I play single player, I can tinker with it pretty easily. With longer sims and especially in multi, i'm easily confused.

Rommel

Not used to having money like this. Time to make it rain!

giphy.gif

thanks for the response.

I guess #5 and #6 is what stumps me the most. How does it work for lineup changes if each day the game sims a whole week. Like let's say I notice that the SS is in a slump the past week. I want to take him out and replace him with a backup, but only for a game or two. That's not possible with a 7 game sim, right?

Or another hypothetical- Let's say I only want my relief pitcher to play during the 3 game homestand but I want him lower in my list when on away games during that week and have him be 8th inning setup. Is that possible?

eta- when I play single player, I can tinker with it pretty easily. With longer sims and especially in multi, i'm easily confused.

Yeah with longer sims you can't really micromanage to that degree.

PADRE ON THE BLOCK - Looking for pitching prospects, particularly starting pitching

C Luis Torrens - OSA 67 OVR, 70 POT - 21 years old, 80 DEF, making minimum

Everything else I have is hot garbage, but available.

norm9

Cool. I'll pick ootp 18 and play it a bit. Once I get comfortable, I'll pm the GM and see if I can have a better run than last time. Thanks for the info.

I want my owner to die. It says my team focus is 'Win Now!', and yet I'm $7.5m over budget with a $70m payroll. And that IFA, Jorge Gavilanes looks like exactly the kind of bat I need, but it's just impossible.

I want my owner to die. It says my team focus is 'Win Now!', and yet I'm $7.5m over budget with a $70m payroll. And that IFA, Jorge Gavilanes looks like exactly the kind of bat I need, but it's just impossible.

I think Gavilanes is exactly the sort of bat we all need lol.

brentech

Sim: 3 days
Date: Dec 2, 2017
Notes: Cubs traded Cole Hamels to the Rangers for prospects.

This injury news gem from the Yankees

Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez will be sidelined for 2 weeks with a sprained ankle. It occurred while attempting but missing a high-five with a teammate.
"Obviously we are disappointed," said the New York manager. "Let's just hope he gets back as soon as possible."

In his career Sanchez has accumulated a .260 batting average with 187 hits. His totals include 35 doubles, no triples, 49 home runs, 192 strikeouts, 109 runs scored, 113 RBIs and a lifetime .339 OBP.

Welcome norm9! Rebuilding a club is tough, but I'm hoping has a good payoff lol. Let me know if you'd like to trade for any of my terrible Padres.

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

Padres Send:
Luis Torrens (SAN)

Dodgers Send:
Yadier Alvarez (Ogden)
Jairo Pacheco (Great Lakes)
Luis G Cabrera (looks like unassigned at the moment? Was IFA signing in 2016)

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT II - THE RETURN OF THE TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

Padres Send:
Carlos Asuaje (ML SAN)

Rays Send:
Justin Williams (AAA Durham)

brentech

brentechSim: 3 days
Date: Dec 5, 2017
Notes: I actually ran this a while ago, but forgot to hit the submit button on this post.

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

Padres Send:
Luis Torrens (SAN)

Dodgers Send:
Yadier Alvarez (Ogden)
Jairo Pacheco (Great Lakes)
Luis G Cabrera (looks like unassigned at the moment? Was IFA signing in 2016)
Trade completed.

TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT II - THE RETURN OF THE TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT

Padres Send:
Carlos Asuaje (ML SAN)

Rays Send:
Justin Williams (AAA Durham)
Tampa is in the red (-7.4M) and can't complete the trade.

Lol, those Rays spending like drunken sailors!

Thanks for trying, we'll see if we can't cobble together some other deal.

I was looking at the Rays payroll and was surprised it was that tight. No real bad deals. I like Longoria's deal. I hope they get a new owner or find a way to increase revenue.

I was looking at the Rays payroll and was surprised it was that tight. No real bad deals. I like Longoria's deal. I hope they get a new owner or find a way to increase revenue.

Yeah, as I said, I want my owner dead. He has entirely unrealistic expectations of what i can accomplish with less than nothing. I can't even afford the arb years of the guys who were already on my roster.

Anyone want a Corey Dickerson?

Oh, and I'm that far in the hole after non-tendering several veterans. Went into the offseason about $17mm underwater.

brentech

Sim: 5 days
Date: Dec 13, 2017
Notes: Start of Winter Meetings. Rule 5 draft is in 2 sims. Protect your players with the 40 man roster.

brentech

Can someone explain this rule 5 draft?

Here is a link to MLB's explanation. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq
In OOTP, there is no fee for drafting a rule 5 player though. Couple other differences.
Basically, if you have guys that have been in your minor leagues for a while and aren't on the 40 man roster, they will have a # next to their name to let you know they are unprotected and can be drafted in the Rule 5.

So you want to look at your roster and see if you have any guys with potential to make sure they are safe from other teams.
When it comes to drafting, if you take a player in the rule 5 draft they have to remain on your active roster (or the DL) or they will be cut from your team and returned to the original team if desired. This ensures that clubs don't just select 10 guys in the rule 5 since they have to take up real roster spots.

Pyrogeek

The Red Sox have the following players on the trading block to make room on the roster:

SP - Drew Pomeranz OR Steven Wright
1B - Mitch Moreland
LF - Brian Bogusevic

Looking to improve the bullpen and always looking for good prospects for down the road.

Top Bottom