• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Marty Chinn said:
I'd rather not have the shitty warping. Plus I'd like an option to not record at 1080p which takes up what, 2 to 3 times more space on a phone that you can't expand the memory?
Question: Are you ever happy? :lol

JackEtc

The customer was not available on the 1st attempt. A 2nd attempt will be made.

Rescheduled delivery date: 10/17/11

YOU ARE FUCKING KIDDING ME

RubxQub

Marty Chinn said:
I'm quite happy with my iPhone 4, thanks. Are you ever not defending Apple blindly? How is the image warping a good thing if you can't turn it off?
"Yes, I'm happy all the time mother fucker!" :lol

You act like the feature is called "image warping" when the feature is "image stabilization". It's meant to be an improvement over the lack of it, and I don't see how anyone could say it isn't. Of course it isn't perfect, but it's better than not having it. I would have thought that video clearly showed that?

An option to turn it off would be fine, I'm not against it...I'm just saying I don't see why you'd want to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marty Chinn said:
I'm quite happy with my iPhone 4, thanks. Are you ever not defending Apple blindly? How is the image warping a good thing if you can't turn it off?
Yeah, I can see why you'd want an option (and I would too), but I really don't think it looks bad. I prefer the "warped" image to the shaky results on the 4.

JackEtc said:

F that. Call and pick that thing up at the distribution center.

Aske

Marty Chinn said:
I'd rather not have the shitty warping. Plus I'd like an option to not record at 1080p which takes up what, 2 to 3 times more space on a phone that you can't expand the memory?

You can't record in anything but 1080p, which I agree is a shame. However, I much prefer the stabilized image in the comparison video. Which surprises me, because that video of the dogs playing made image stabilization look awful. I'd be surprised if you couldn't turn it off (no confirmation on this yet?) but I think how well it works/good it looks will correlate with how much shaky cam it has to compensate for. Little to no shaking, it looks great. Lots of shaking, and it looks weird.

Xamdou

JackEtc said:

UPS? I better getter mine today... don't they deliver on Saturday?

mojiimbo

KaYotiX said:
I have a ATT 4 and when i went to put my 4S in it i couldnt use the silent switch becaue half of it was covered up....i even tried a 4 extended battery+case and the same thing. Put em side by side and YUP the switch is just a bit lower on the 4S

and i use an otterbox case becasue of my work (Railroad) so i want some beefy protection if i drop it and i have LOL
Oh, that makes sense. You need to get a "universal" iPhone 4 case that supports both the Verizon and ATT models. Amazon has the old universal iPhone 4 Otterboxes on sale so you might want to check there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/122342/your-iphone-4-case-may-not-fit-your-iphone-4s/

nVidiot_Whore said:
He's been in this thread for days now doing everything he can to downplay the upgrade from 4 to 4s. It's rather cute. Reminds me of console fanboys comparing consoles.

Eh what? I said the camera and Siri are nice updates.

RubxQub said:
"Yes, I'm happy all the time mother fucker!" :lol

You act like the feature is called "image warping" when the feature is "image stabilization". It's meant to be an improvement over the lack of it, and I don't see how anyone could say it isn't. Of course it isn't perfect, but it's better than not having it. I would have thought that video clearly showed that?

An option to turn it off would be fine, I'm not against it...I'm just saying I don't see why you'd want to.

I'm saying the implementation is poor. Just because it's an attempt to improve something doesn't make either situation great. I'm not pleased with their attempt to fix it. Maybe by the time 5 comes out or even over a software update, and it'll be better. I just don't like the warping that you get with the image stabilization. I'll use my other camera to record video whenever possible still.

Greeting from San Francisco!

f0435588.jpg

Won't get to play with it until I get home - but I'll be able to show it off once I head to the movies with friends tonight.

btkadams

MikeE21286 said:
Thinking if I decide to get a 4S I'll go with the white.

Smudges/scratches will probably be less noticeable?
when you have a white iphone, the whole world becomes less noticeable. it's that sexy.

Aske

nVidiot_Whore said:
He's been in this thread for days now doing everything he can to downplay the upgrade from 4 to 4s. It's rather cute. Reminds me of console fanboys comparing consoles.

Not even close to console fanboyism. Marty's attitude generally strikes me as honest cynicism. Even when that cynicism appears somewhat excessive, it's long way from trolling. I love Apple products, but I often agree with his criticisms.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Welp,

AT&T jacked up my order last Friday, and are telling me 6-8 weeks now. But they gave me a 300 dollar credit, so my 32GB phone is free.. so that's a thing.

In other news, I'm going to give it 2 weeks to see if they are exagerating the ship time.

Two of my coworkers got iphone 4s today, 1 went through Apple, one through verizon. The two of us who didn't get one both went through AT&T. You would think after 5 launches they would figure this shit out.

MikeE21286 said:
Thinking if I decide to get a 4S I'll go with the white.

Smudges/scratches will probably be less noticeable?
I'd go as far as to say they're not noticeable at all. The white iPhone is stunning, I can't help but admire mine every time I pick it up. You can't go wrong with white.

StoOgE said:
Welp,

AT&T jacked up my order last Friday, and are telling me 6-8 weeks now. But they gave me a 300 dollar credit, so my 32GB phone is free.. so that's a thing.

In other news, I'm going to give it 2 weeks to see if they are exagerating the ship time.

Two of my coworkers got iphone 4s today, 1 went through Apple, one through verizon. The two of us who didn't get one both went through AT&T. You would think after 5 launches they would figure this shit out.

Free phone and all you have to do is wait? sounds like a deal to me!

Evlar

Banned
Well, my iPhone 4S arrived just as I was about to head back to work. I took a few extra minutes to try to get it activated... failed on the first two tries, of course.

Charging now, I'll get it running when I get back home. Can't wait! The white is beautiful.

Weenerz

Banned
icespide said:
how are AT&T activations going? I hope it's all sorted out by the time I get home

Mine set up almost instantly, but I ordered from Apple. The only thing I had to do was after setting up the phone, I had to restart it to get a 3g signal.

Squeee! Mine made it without having to wait until 5. I also put a note on the door "UPS - ring the doorbell. We are home". I wasn't about to let them attempt but not deliver.

Aske said:
Not even close to console fanboyism. Marty's attitude generally strikes me as honest cynicism. Even when that cynicism appears somewhat excessive, it's long way from trolling. I love Apple products, but I often agree with his criticisms.
I guess I didn't really mean fanboyism.. more that "justification" people use to not buy something.. then the minute they buy it, suddenly they are praising features they previously downplayed.

Marty, you aren't getting a 4s correct?

Tron 2.0

Didn't have any problems activating my Verizon phone this morning.

I'm wondering, does anyone have a good link to some nice, simple, classy iPhone wallpapers?

KaYotiX

Banned
btkadams said:
when you have a white iphone, the whole world becomes less noticeable. it's that sexy.

Agree, wife and i both got white. Its a nice change from the black phones we always get. Matches the iPad 2 also :p

JackEtc said:

Happened to me. Called UPS to schedule pick up. Can't schdule pick up without AT&T's permission. Called AT&T ... they told me it's their policy to not change shipping info.

I guess my wife has Monday off. Monday it is ...

SRidge52

Banned
Can someone explain to me how to activate the iPhone on Sprint? I can't make any calls and this is my first iPhone so I don't know what da hayel I'm doing.

btkadams

Tron 2.0 said:
Didn't have any problems activating my Verizon phone this morning.

I'm wondering, does anyone have a good link to some nice, simple, classy iPhone wallpapers?
i use interfacelift for my computer, but they also offer images in ios resolutions as well.

Got it earlier today but haven't been able to activate it... even went to an AT&T store and they couldn't do it... they sent me to Apple and they just told me wait... arg!

Shurs

Aske said:
You can't record in anything but 1080p, which I agree is a shame. However, I much prefer the stabilized image in the comparison video. Which surprises me, because that video of the dogs playing made image stabilization look awful. I'd be surprised if you couldn't turn it off (no confirmation on this yet?)

The only option when in video mode is to turn the flash on or off.

ToD_

I saw plenty of UPS stickers on doors at my apartment complex when I walked in on my way home from work, informing that packages could not be delivered. Thankfully, my door wasn't one of them. I'm guessing my package is on a different truck. At least, that's what I'm hoping! It's still saying out for delivery. Fingers crossed.

RubxQub

...and there's the FedEx guy. UPS WINS!

Nazgul_Hunter said:
Got it earlier today but haven't been able to activate it... even went to an AT&T store and they couldn't do it... they sent me to Apple and they just told me wait... arg!

Yeah, I'm now suffering from the same thing. I think I've tried starting over four times now.

Opps... now I have an "activation server is temporarily unavailable message". Bleh.

btkadams

im dying here. i get off work in 2 and a half hours and i have run out of things to do lol. i'm just reading this thread. can't wait to go pick up my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom