• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Major limitation of Siri

cantreademail.jpg

Siri will not open, read or delete your emails.

nVidiot_Whore said:
I guess I didn't really mean fanboyism.. more that "justification" people use to not buy something.. then the minute they buy it, suddenly they are praising features they previously downplayed.

Marty, you aren't getting a 4s correct?

I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm calling it as I see it. If I was due for an upgrade, especially going from a 3G or 3GS, I'd get a 4S. That wouldn't change my view on the crappy warping caused by the image stabilization. Apple fans do it all the time where they dismiss shortcomings or features of other products only to praising such features that were previously downplayed. It happens all the time here where people make up excuses or justifications for why things are the way they are only to get excited when it's changed for the better.

eudaemonic said:
Yeah, I'm now suffering from the same thing. I think I've tried starting over four times now.

Opps... now I have an "activation server is temporarily unavailable message". Bleh.

Even worse... I just got through for the first time... the guy at the ATT store changed my SIM and it's apparently not being recognized by the phone .

ChanHuk

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm calling it as I see it. If I was due for an upgrade, especially going from a 3G or 3GS, I'd get a 4S. That wouldn't change my view on the crappy warping caused by the image stabilization. Apple fans do it all the time where they dismiss shortcomings or features of other products only to praising such features that were previously downplayed. It happens all the time here where people make up excuses or justifications for why things are the way they are only to get excited when it's changed for the better.

Its your call, I used my sister's upgrade and got a 64GB for contract pricing, called AT&T and told them to remove the data plan and everything is back to normal as far as my plan goes.

Cool, got my 4s an hour ago. Since I upgraded my 3GS to iOS5 and allowed a backup to sync to the cloud, I was able to fully activate and restore my phone settings to my 4S via wifi. Pretty slick. Siri is proving worthless and gimmicky but man oh man, dat camera. So nice and insane "boot" time.

JackEtc

GVpFj.jpg

Fenderputty said:
I guess my wife has Monday off. Monday it is ...
They're scheduling it to be the SAME time. What don't they understand about SCHOOL?

Harry Potter said:
F that. Call and pick that thing up at the distribution center.
How do I find a distribution center? Is this the same thing as selecting "Hold for Will Call"? Someone please help me with this, I want my phone ASAP.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Chuck said:
haha sugar buns...how'd you get Siri to call you that?
Siri will call you whatever you say your name is in your contacts list.

Addnan

Patrick Bateman said:
"Status: Delivered"

WTF IS THIS SHIT??

DHL WASN'T THERE! I DON'T HAVE MY IPHONE 4S!!!

:(((
Woah, did they give it to the wrong house?!?

Parcelforce screwed up my order this week, gave it to a house nowhere near me.

edit: wasn't an iphone though.

RubxQub

LyleLanley said:
I think someone posted a few pages back that you can tell Siri to call you whatever you want.
Yep, but you do that by pointing it to your contacts list and selecting an entry. It's not something you tell it.

HoTHiTTeR

JackEtc said:
GVpFj.jpg

They're scheduling it to be the SAME time. What don't they understand about SCHOOL?

How do I find a distribution center? Is this the same thing as selecting "Hold for Will Call"? Someone please help me with this, I want my phone ASAP.

You needed to presign w/ apple... http://store.apple.com/us/help/shipping_delivery

If you want your device tonight, the place you would pick it up from is the in city it went "out for delivery" from. Call UPS, tell them you want it left for pickup at will call and you want a call confirming from the local hub. Someone should call you within an hour and give you their address and tell you to arrive between 6 and 8 pm.

Tobor

planar1280 said:
First Major limitation of Siri

MG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5eXSPs6G7U4/Tph7Yc-_C-I/AAAAAAAAd8Y/XF93U5buWXk/s640/cantreademail.jpg[/IMG]

Siri will not open, read or delete your emails.

That's been known for awhile.

Addnan said:
Woah, did they give it to the wrong house?!?

Parcelforce screwed up my order this week, gave it to a house nowhere near me.

edit: wasn't an iphone though.

Please not the alcoholic and idiotic family on the right. :/

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
JackEtc said:
GVpFj.jpg

You really thought that would work? Signature required doesn't mean you can just leave a half-assed written note like that, no offense. And it's not like the driver is going to change his route to fit your school schedule in.

JackEtc

Mutagenic said:
You really thought that would work? Signature required doesn't mean you can just leave a half-assed written note like that, no offense. And it's not like the driver is going to change his route to fit your school schedule in.
I've done it time and time again and it has.
HoTHiTTeR said:
You needed to presign w/ apple... http://store.apple.com/us/help/shipping_delivery

If you want your device tonight, the place you would pick it up from is the in city it went "out for delivery" from. Call UPS, tell them you want it left for pickup at will call and you want a call confirming from the local hub. Someone should call you within an hour and give you their address and tell you to arrive between 6 and 8 pm.
How do I find which hub it came out of? When I go through "Hold for Will Call", it lists the place as a "STAFFED LOCATION", is that it?

EDIT: Yea, the will call thing works. "Thank you. A UPS Representative will call you within one hour to confirm the pickup time and exact location. Please be advised that your package will not be available for pickup until the driver has returned to the UPS location."

Addnan

Patrick Bateman said:
Please not the alcoholic and idiotic family on the right. :/
They didn't leave a note or anything? If they are still open get on the phone now and find out whats happening.

RubxQub

From the This is my next... review. Top is 4S, bottom is 4.

iPhone_4s7.jpg

Can anyone help me compare a 4 person family plan between Sprint/Verizon/ATT? I just want to make sure I'm doing the math right.
1400 minutes
Unlimited Text. I got Verizon at 260, ATT at 219 and Sprint at 209

HoTHiTTeR

JackEtc said:
I've done it time and time again and it has.

How do I find which hub it came out of? When I go through "Hold for Will Call", it lists the place as a "STAFFED LOCATION", is that it?

Apple requires you to sign or fill in a form.

Where ever the last scan came from should be the delivery hub. You can't call them directly, you need to call the 1888 pickups number and request a hold at will call and a call back fro the hub. they'll give you their address. usually hubs are staffed locations, you can find them on google to give you a good idea of how far away they are from you. usually no more than 20 miles if you're in a suburban area

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
JackEtc said:
GVpFj.jpg

Drivers aren't allowed to accept that, the signature has to be in the system either electronically or via the DIAD (the electronic signature device they have). Sorry to see that, people at UPS are freaking out today hoping everything goes well.

Yes I'm typing this from UPS HQ in Atlanta, I work for Big Brown. Sadly I can't influence anything that is going on out there today. Sorry to you guys that couldn't get the deliveries!

RubxQub

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yeah, this is definitely annoying me now, especially as I got a white 4S and whites on the screen are noticeably off.

4S on the left, 4 on the right.

6244488364_07baa9336a_b.jpg

Honestly I think the 4S just crushes the blacks a lot less.

Look at his legs in the 4S picture. Lots of detail is there that you miss on the 4.

Evlar

Banned
Brendonia said:
Drivers aren't allowed to accept that, the signature has to be in the system either electronically or via the DIAD (the electronic signature device they have). Sorry to see that, people at UPS are freaking out today hoping everything goes well.

Yes I'm typing this from UPS HQ in Atlanta, I work for Big Brown. Sadly I can't influence anything that is going on out there today. Sorry to you guys that couldn't get the deliveries!
You did OK with my deliveries (other than bizarrely sending two iPhones to the same address on two separate trucks).

RubxQub

LyleLanley said:
Fair enough. That seems strange given the wording.

Fake Edit:

Just saw your ninja edit.
My phone is now referring to me as Master...excellent.

JackEtc

Brendonia said:

Thanks for the insight. My UPS driver usually accept this, but I guess this is different. I changed the delivery for "Hold for Will Call", and marked it as "I need my package today". It said they'd call within the hour, nothing yet.

This could all work out!

border

2 Big Questions:

Is there any chance that this device will be able to pick up 3G data on T-Mobile's network? Or is that still completely off the table? Is there any chance T-Mobile will make their network iPhone compatible?

How much RAM is in the phone? Someone should have done a teardown by now, right?

border

JackEtc said:
Thanks for the insight. My UPS driver usually accept this, but I guess this is different.
My UPS guy said -- "Here's your phone!" They know what's in the package, they know it is a $600-800 piece of electronics. They are probably not going to leave it on anyone's porch, even if there is a note.

border said:
2 Big Questions:

Is there any chance that this device will be able to pick up 3G data on T-Mobile's network? Or is that still completely off the table? Is there any chance T-Mobile will make their network iPhone compatible?

How much RAM is in the phone? Someone should have done a teardown by now, right?

3G won't work on T-mobile, and if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for T-mobile to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom