• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brendonia said:
Drivers aren't allowed to accept that, the signature has to be in the system either electronically or via the DIAD (the electronic signature device they have). Sorry to see that, people at UPS are freaking out today hoping everything goes well.

Yes I'm typing this from UPS HQ in Atlanta, I work for Big Brown. Sadly I can't influence anything that is going on out there today. Sorry to you guys that couldn't get the deliveries!

You did well for me! Mine was delivered before noon. Thanks Big Brown!

Now AT&T is a whole different story. How do you fail like this when this is like the 5th time in a row you've done this and you have a very good idea of how many phones will be out there?

Starting to freak out about those screen comparisons too. 4S doesn't look so great compared to the 4. I will have to do an in person comparison when I can finally activate mine.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Activation for Verizon took 15 seconds. I'm so glad to have competent cellular service again. I don't care if they're slower, they're stable.

What a fiasco it was to get this little beauty.

1st the store that promised me that they would have me on a list and I would easily get one, told me they were only getting in 16gb ones, that it they only got a small amount so it was 1st come, 1st serve.

So I call BestBuy and see if they have any, they said all preorders had been filed, there would be a line, but I was welcome to wait in line. I woke up at 5:30, got there at about 6:15 and only 1 other person standing out there.

I only had to stand in the cold for just little over an hour and I started getting nervous b/c everyone else had preorders. I asked an employee what my chances were that I could get one w/o a pre order and he gave me a very sad "ehhhh MAYBE".

Shortly after that another employee came out, I told him I didnt have a pre-order and I was wanting to get a 32gb black ATT 4S. He said they MIGHT have 1 or 2.

He came back out and said they had ONE and it was mine! :) I feel bad b/c some people who preordered with other carriers didnt even get their phones today.

DAMN does it feel good to have it though :)

I have an iPhone Wallpapers folder on my pc, but it won't let me drag and drop the folder into my iPhone folder. How do I get these images on my phone?

icespide

Banned
Weenerz said:
Mine set up almost instantly, but I ordered from Apple. The only thing I had to do was after setting up the phone, I had to restart it to get a 3g signal.

good to hear. I ordered from apple as well so I hope it goes well

Is anyone else experiencing this? My phone is plugged in, 100% juice and shows the power plug icon on the battery, then all of the sudden the battery % starts to drop?! The icon didn't change to indicate a loss of electric current from the wall charger so I have no idea what's going on.

I re-attached the charger and now the battery is charging with the lightning bolt icon on the battery.

If this happens again should I have Apple check it out?

My white att 4s came around 2. It's been almost 2 hours and still cant activate it. :/

I thought that the back of the phone would say 4s but it just says iPhone

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AngryChinchilla said:
My white att 4s came around 2. It's been almost 2 hours and still cant activate it. :/

I thought that the back of the phone would say 4s but it just says iPhone
I think that was the case for the 4, too.

Nazgul_Hunter said:
Got it earlier today but haven't been able to activate it... even went to an AT&T store and they couldn't do it... they sent me to Apple and they just told me wait... arg!

I'm in the same boat. I've had mine for hours now, and it's unusable. Goddamn it AT&T!

Evlar

Banned
Kusagari said:
Did the people having problems with activating with ATT order from ATT or Apple?
Apple. It's not the SIM, though... it already knows what my number should be (pops up with a message saying "Your number is XXX-XXX-XXXX, if that is incorrect go to an AT&T store blahblah" and the number is correct).

I suspect the problem is coordinating the deactivation of the old SIM and activation of the new SIM while their remote servers are getting slammed by requests. If I'm right AT&T customers with a new line or new account won't have as much trouble.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chuck said:
Is anyone else experiencing this? My phone is plugged in, 100% juice and shows the power plug icon on the battery, then all of the sudden the battery % starts to drop?! The icon didn't change to indicate a loss of electric current from the wall charger so I have no idea what's going on.

I re-attached the charger and now the battery is charging with the lightning bolt icon on the battery.

If this happens again should I have Apple check it out?

That's happened with my 3G a few times, but only when I'm underground with no phone signal and the phone is signal hopping repeatedly to try to figure out what's going on.

Kusagari said:
Did the people having problems with activating with ATT order from ATT or Apple?

I ordered 2, with one in each scenario. The first is my wife's and came in the mail from AT&T. That one was pre-activated and ready to roll. I ordered mine from Apple, and can't get through AT&T's activation servers.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
JackEtc said:
Picking it up at 7! YESSSSSS

Nice, that's great news man! Just a heads up to all of you guys I'm in the same boat right now even though I work for UPS. We get no real special privileges beyond knowing a little more about the distribution process and how all the shipments were working. I had to actually have my tracking number used today to show what MyChoice looks like for iPhone orderers. I authorized release but don't know if it will fly, hopefully everything goes as planned.

Pinzer

Unconfirmed Member
Is AppleCare+ the best option if you want to go caseless? I'd rather not spend another 100 on the phone right away but the ~700 replacement fee is really scaring me.

Stumpokapow said:
That's happened with my 3G a few times, but only when I'm underground with no phone signal and the phone is signal hopping repeatedly to try to figure out what's going on.
Hm. I have 5 bars where I am almost all of the time. Did your battery ever correct itself?

I have a one year warranty on the battery just in case I need to have it looked at or swapped out, right?

JackEtc said:
GVpFj.jpg

They're scheduling it to be the SAME time. What don't they understand about SCHOOL?

/facepalm

For someone to think this would work and for someone to blame Apple or UPS for not doing what your note said.. that makes me want to punch society.

JackEtc

TurtleSnatcher said:
/facepalm

For someone to think this would work and for someone to blame Apple or UPS for not doing what your note said.. that makes me want to punch society.
I've done it a thousand time before, dude. READ.
Brendonia said:
Nice, that's great news man! Just a heads up to all of you guys I'm in the same boat right now even though I work for UPS. We get no real special privileges beyond knowing a little more about the distribution process and how all the shipments were working. I had to actually have my tracking number used today to show what MyChoice looks like for iPhone orderers. I authorized release but don't know if it will fly, hopefully everything goes as planned.
MyChoice kept giving me an error during registration, but major props to UPS's "Hold for Will Call". I saw that the available pickup date was originally Monday, and clicked the "I need my package today" button, doubting I'd get it tonight, and maybe tomorrow. Sure enough, the guy called me and said the driver would be back around 7 (which is closing time), but he would wait for me to come and pick it up if I wanted. Way to turn it around, UPS.

JackEtc said:

Who cares if you have done it before a million times. It isn't what is standard operating procedure for UPS so to be mad at them for not understanding and actually FOLLOWING the rules is retarded.

Pinzer said:
Is AppleCare+ the best option if you want to go caseless? I'd rather not spend another 100 on the phone right away but the ~700 replacement fee is really scaring me.

AppleCare+ is a waste of money. It's not a $700 replacement fee; it's a $199 replacement fee.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The thing is, if I were a postal worker and I was allowed to leave packages when there's a note, and I knew I was carrying 4S's...... Crime opportunity!

border

Pinzer said:
AppleCare is a waste IMO. The first incident will cost you $99 for AppleCare and $49 deductible. If your screen is broken you can get it replaced for less than that.

The only way AppleCare makes sense is if you brake your phone twice (2 repairs for $200 in total). I'd buy it for a careless girlfriend or something, but not for myself.

Marty Chinn said:
AppleCare+ is a waste of money. It's not a $700 replacement fee; it's a $199 replacement fee.
Wait, what's a $199 replacement fee? Through AT&T? Only if you pay the $10/mo?

I'm thinking about going naked and want to assess my risk...

Sarye

JackEtc said:

it works if the package doesn't require a signature.

In cases of packages not requiring signatures:
Sometimes UPS insists on someone being home even if the package doesn't require a signature, it depends on the neighborhood. However if you leave a note then 99% of the time they'll leave it.

I've never had UPS leave a package even with a note if the package requires a signature. I had one UPS driver underline boldly, "requires signature" to let me know why they didn't leave it.

Smidget

Just got my 2 4S 16GB (1 white and 1 black) from AT&T. Activated via their links in a minute each and bam, working! :)

Edit: Hmm trying to get iMessage working since my wife and I don't have unlimited messaging, I see a little blue chat next to her #/name but she doesn't see it against mine... any ideas?

Fong Ghoul said:
Wait, what's a $199 replacement fee? Through AT&T? Only if you pay the $10/mo?

I'm thinking about going naked and want to assess my risk...

If you go to Apple without any type of extended warranty plan with a broken iPhone, Apple will charge you a $199 replacement fee.

Buying all these extended warranty plans are such a waste of money because of how inexpensive the replacement cost is compared to the warranty plans cost.

Weenerz

Banned
Smidget said:
Just got my 2 4S 16GB (1 white and 1 black) from AT&T. Activated via their links in a minute each and bam, working! :)

Edit: Hmm trying to get iMessage working since my wife and I don't have unlimited messaging, I see a little blue chat next to her #/name but she doesn't see it against mine... any ideas?

Make sure she has imessage enabled in settings menu.

Marty Chinn said:
If you go to Apple without any type of extended warranty plan with a broken iPhone, Apple will charge you a $199 replacement fee.

Buying all these extended warranty plans are such a waste of money because of how inexpensive the replacement cost is compared to the warranty plans cost.
Thanks - I didn't know that. Is that only in the first year? Or anytime?

Off to cancel my health insurance... ;)

Edit: Hm, that $199 is apparently just to replace the screen. Replacing the phone if not covered by warranty does not appear to be $199. Thought that sounded too good to be true. I guess the screen is the most likely thing to break though.

I dunno, maybe I'll just get a bumper...

Marty Chinn said:
I'm not trying to justify anything. I'm calling it as I see it. If I was due for an upgrade, especially going from a 3G or 3GS, I'd get a 4S. That wouldn't change my view on the crappy warping caused by the image stabilization. Apple fans do it all the time where they dismiss shortcomings or features of other products only to praising such features that were previously downplayed. It happens all the time here where people make up excuses or justifications for why things are the way they are only to get excited when it's changed for the better.

You've gone on and on about multiple topics in this thread, I'm not just talking about your image stabilization comment.. downplaying the CPU upgrade.. downplaying the potential of HSPA+ in particular.

You have over 100 posts in a week in a thread about a product you aren't buying.. it's just the impression you are giving off, IMO.. it comes across as being a little obsessed with trying to downplay the product.

Fong Ghoul said:

Anytime.

When you buy an iPhone, you get one year of AppleCare. For that first year pretty much anything breaks that isn't your fault, and Apple will fix it for free. The $199 is only if you are the one responsible for the damage and not the fault of the phone itself. So for $99, AppleCare+ allows you to extend AppleCare by one more year, and allows you to damage your phone during that two year period with a $49 replacement up to two replacements. So even if you spend $99, you still have to spend a total cost of $148 to replace your phone which is only $52 less than if you just skipped AppleCare all together.

It's not worth it because you pretty much have to break your phone one to two times every cycle to make it worth your while. The second you go to another cycle without using it, you lost money.

Fong Ghoul said:

If you break it yourself, it's any time. If it's a defect, free repair/replacement for the first year, replacement fee afterward.

AppleCare extends the defect warranty to two years. AppleCare+ does the same but also limits the replacement fee to $49.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

A)Applecare ($100). Phone breaks. You pay $200. Total : $300 for replacement (one year coverage I believe).

B)Pay AT&T $10 a month. Walk in and get a replacement for free. Total cost: $120 a year.

Way off on AppleCare+. Two years coverage, $49 replacement fee. So a total of $148 for a replacement during the two-year period.

You'd save money on AT&T in the first year, lose money compared to AppleCare+ in the second.

nVidiot_Whore said:
You've gone on and on about multiple topics in this thread, I'm not just talking about your image stabilization comment.. downplaying the CPU upgrade.. downplaying the potential of HSPA+ in particular.

You have over 100 posts in a week in a thread about a product you aren't buying.. it's just the impression you are giving off, IMO.. it comes across as being a little obsessed with trying to downplay the product.
Because all that stuff that is getting hyped as being a huge deal are more of a huge deal on paper than in practical real world everyday situations. I'm only explaining why people are disappointed in the update. I think the camera update is pretty huge with what it can do now, but I also can see why someone would shrug it off. I think that and Siri are the two big updates on this phone that mean anything.

Anabuhabkuss said:

A)Applecare ($100). Phone breaks. You pay $200. Total : $300 for replacement (one year coverage I believe).

B)Pay AT&T $10 a month. Walk in and get a replacement for free. Total cost: $120 a year.

A) AppleCare+ is $100 upfront, and then a $49 fee to replace the phone. It's two years coverage.

B) Depending on how you work this out, you're paying $240 for the duration of your contract, so it could end up costing more. That's also assuming AT&T really does just swap your phone at no additional cost.

What's the cheapest plan that any iPhone user has here?

I've been rocking a 1st gen iPhone which is the only iPhone that lets me having Data + 1500 text for $30 a month, effectively making my monthly bill $70. I called AT&T and sure enough, the cheapest plan you can have with any of the later iPhones with the features I currently have is $90 ($40 for phone, $30 for data, $20 for text).

Is this pretty much the case with Verizon and Sprint as well?

bbagwell

Anabuhabkuss said:

C) Buy with your AMEX and get two years of protection at no additional cost.

starchild excalibur said:
What's the cheapest plan than any iPhone user has here?

I've been rocking a 1st gen iPhone which is the only iPhone that lets me having Data + 1500 text for $30 a month, effectively making my monthly bill $70. I called AT&T and sure enough, the cheapest plan you can have with any of the later iPhones with the features I currently have is $90 ($40 for phone, $30 for data, $20 for text).

Is this pretty much the case with Verizon and Sprint as well?

I've got $40 phone / $30 unlimited data (grandfathered) / $5 250 text from Verizon. I don't text my brains out and iMessage will hopefully the necessary text plan even further. There is no cheaper plan, though. I also get a 22% discount from work.

bbagwell said:
C) Buy with your AMEX and get two years of protection at no additional cost.

Wait, for real?? For Verizon too? I bought with my AMEX.. just because. That would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom