• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Stream

GrizzNKev

Banned
Isn't the "pre-alpha" thing just marketing garbage? Those leaked screens of the game with unfinished textures were from the real alpha build(ie. the in-house alpha build). Calling this pre-alpha is just PR drivel.

Pre-alpha means the game isn't feature complete. It doesn't matter which part of the game they show us, the name is the status of the game as a whole.

You can set your rented server to only accept players of a certain ability.

Hopefully some sort of team balance feature will be built in as well, instead of requiring server add ons.

#1 complaint for me in BF3 was unbalanced teams.

Should mention the separate queue for commanders and the mutiny vote kick.

Yup, forgot to update that part, thanks.

Sorry to post again, but for the new page:

• Release Date: 10/29/2013
  • Rumored (leaked?) Beta date: 09/29/2013
  • 64 players confirmed (Patrick Bach, E3 Livestream Day 2) for XB1 and PS4 (1080p and 60fps has been mentioned, but is yet to be confirmed); rumored 30 FPS, 24 players for X360 and PS3
  • Two new game modes coming, some of the ones in BF3 are being dropped
  • Confirmed game modes: Squad Deathmatch, Conquest, Rush, and Team Deathmatch
  • Expansion packs
    • China Rising: free with preorder
    • Second Assault: includes 4 maps from BF3
  • Specialization system is changed so your squad is rewarded with specializations as you do better
  • Hardcore mode confirmed
    • Ammo is magazine-based, not "pool"-based
  • 5 players per squad
  • 4 classes (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon)
  • In-game VOIP confirmed
  • No Battle Recorder; can rely on built in XB1 and PS4 recorders
  • Practice mode/tutorial mode confirmed for vehicles
  • Better Battlelog integration for consoles
  • "Levolution"
    • Every map will have changes that can alter the makeup of the map/level.
    • Also refers to the verticality they want to add to maps.
    • So far, not scripted--can take out supports to bring down skyscraper
    • Urban areas can't be flattened by destruction; design choice, not engine limitation
  • Commander mode
    • One player on each side that does not occupy a player slot (64 players + 2 commanders)
    • Can be played from console, PC, or remotely with a tablet
    • Scan and EMP UAVs can be deployed; vehicle scans, tomahawk missiles, infantry scans, and gunships can be deployed based on whether or not certain bases are capture
    • Supply (ammo and medical) and vehicle drops
    • Set attack orders for individual squads; squad leaders can confirm that they are accepting the commanders orders
    • Included in Conquest and Rush so far
    • Have their own persistence/skill tree
    • "Gating" queue system that prevents everyone from being eligible as a commander
    • Squad leaders can initiate votekick to oust a bad commander
    • If squads follow your orders, everyone receives bonus points
    • Can counter commander's abilities (scramble UAV, for example)
  • Vehicles
    • Enhanced vehicle disabling: Vehicles are disabled based on the parts that are hit; however, tires can't be shot out (it's not that granular)
    • Limited MBT 120mm ammo, which can regenerate
  • Other/mechanics
    • Squad assists can count as kills if you contibuted the most to the kill (maybe >90%?)
    • Reduced suppression: Support now contributes the most to suppression and it has a greater effect at long range
      ADS near cover allows a "peak" cover system. Not sure if you can lean left/right, but seems you can pop up above cover
    • "Click to spawn" deployment options
    • Interface is muuuch less click-heavy vs BF3
    • Killfeed is gone; kills displayed in center of screen
    • Movement system has been tweaked for momentum; it takes a moment to get to full sprint speed
    • Directional callouts--the default "enemy spotted" voice seems to indicate directions/location relative to your position
    • Hand gestures indicate commands, including spotting; multiple enemies can be spotted at a time
    • Ladder climbing is faster
    • Proprietary matchmaking system instead of system matchmaking
    • Skill system, in addition to matchmaking; can set skill reqs for servers
    • "Partial mod" support; likely to be server-side modifications (vehicle count, damage mods, player count???)
    • Swimming
      • Can dive to avoid gunfire
      • Can shoot pistols under/above water while swimming (shooting underwater is very inaccurate)
      • Can sprint swim
  • Spectator mode
    • Confirmed for PC, "we'll see" for console
    • Views: Table Top, First Person, Third Person, Free Cam
    • Can "set" up to four free cams around the map to quickly jump to certain location
    • UI can be turned off
    • Can click on player from table top view and get PiP view of their screen
  • Improved environments
    • Metal detectors can expose you, storefront gates can be shut to cut people off, fire extinguishers create smoke screens, bollards can prevent vehicle access
    • Water reacts dynamically to vehicles and events (skyscraper falling)
  • Classes/weapons/gadgets
    • All classes
      • All classes have access to their primary weapon class, carbines, designated marksman rifles, and shotguns
      • Pistols can be customized
      • Grenades: HE, flashbang, and incendiary
      • Tons of attachments/customizations (green hipfire laser sights, different foregrips, barrel types, bipods, silencer/flashlight combo)
      • Over 1200 items that can be unlocked via 300 "Battlepacks", which can be earned or bought
      • Attachment system
        • Optics: various sights
        • Barrel: muzzle brake, etc.
        • Accessory: canted iron sights, laser pointer (same as BF3), green laser pointer (possibly stealthier, only shows up to enemy if directly in their eyes)
        • Underbarrel: angled grip (lower initial recoil), vertical grip (same as BF3)
    • Assault
      • Primary: assault rifles
      • Health bag: deployable health
      • Health pack, which you can toss onto someone. It regenerates their health, regardless of their proximity to you. If you toss onto ground, it can be picked up by someone else
      • Defibs need to be charged before you can pick someone up; seems they still need to be unlocked
    • Recon
      • Primary: sniper rifles
      • C4; can be thrown again, and can attach to boats
      • Motion sensor ball (it also seems there is TUGS, but haven't seen it in-game; we have seen the sensor ball in-game, however)
      • Range finder and scope zeroing
      • Ability to use different zoom levels in one scope
    • Support
      • Primary: LMGs
      • Ammo bag: deployable ammo
      • Ammo pack: ammo that can individually be given to someone
      • Support has 25MM support grenade launcher, grenades explode midflight. Aim at target, then lift sights and fire and grenade explodes above target
    • Engineer
      • Primary: PDWs
      • Engineer can carry AT Mine and Repair torch at same time
      • RPG, Stinger, MBT-LAW

I'll post the BF4 News/Info thread after the livestream concludes today.

kriskrosbbk

Yup, forgot to update that part, thanks.

Sorry to post again, but for the new page:

• 1080p, 60 FPS, 64 players confirmed for XB1 and PS4; 30 FPS, 24 players confirmed for X360 and PS3
  • Two new game modes coming, some of the ones in BF3 are being dropped
  • Confirmed game modes: Squad Deathmatch, Conquest, Rush, and Team Deathmatch
  • Specialization system is changed so your squad is rewarded with specializations as you do better
  • Hardcore mode confirmed
    • Ammo is magazine-based, not "pool"-based
  • 5 players per squad
  • 4 classes (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon)
  • In-game VOIP confirmed
  • No Battle Recorder; can rely on built in XB1 and PS4 recorders
  • Practice mode/tutorial mode confirmed for vehicles
  • Better Battlelog integration for consoles
  • "Levolution"
    • Every map will have changes that can alter the makeup of the map/level.
    • Also refers to the verticality they want to add to maps.
    • So far, not scripted--can take out supports to bring down skyscraper
    • Urban areas can't be flattened by destruction; design choice, not engine limitation
  • Commander mode
    • One player on each side that does not occupy a player slot (64 players + 2 commanders)
    • Can be played from console, PC, or remotely with a tablet
    • Scan and EMP UAVs can be deployed; vehicle scans, tomahawk missiles, infantry scans, and gunships can be deployed based on whether or not certain bases are capture
    • Supply (ammo and medical) and vehicle drops
    • Set attack orders for individual squads
    • Included in Conquest and Rush so far
    • Have their own persistence/skill tree
    • "Gating" system that prevents everyone from being eligible as a commander
    • If squads follow your orders, everyone receives bonus points
    • Can counter commander's abilities (scramble UAV, for example)
  • Vehicles
    • Enhanced vehicle disabling: Vehicles are disabled based on the parts that are hit; however, tires can't be shot out (it's not that granular)
    • Limited MBT 120mm ammo, which can regenerate
  • Other/mechanics
    • Squad assists can count as kills if you contibuted the most to the kill (maybe >90%?)
    • Reduced suppression: Support now contributes the most to suppression and it has a greater effect at long range
      ADS near cover allows a "peak" cover system. Not sure if you can lean left/right, but seems you can pop up above cover
    • "Click to spawn" deployment options
    • Interface is muuuch less click-heavy vs BF3
    • Killfeed is gone; kills displayed in center of screen
    • Movement system has been tweaked for momentum; it takes a moment to get to full sprint speed
    • Directional callouts--the default "enemy spotted" voice seems to indicate directions/location relative to your position
    • Swimming
    • Hand gestures indicate commands
    • Ladder climbing is faster
    • Proprietary matchmaking system instead of system matchmaking
    • Skill system, in addition to matchmaking; can set skill reqs for servers
    • "Partial mod" support; likely to be server-side modifications (vehicle count, damage mods, player count???)
      • Can dive to avoid gunfire
      • Can shoot pistols under/above water while swimming
      • Can sprint swim
  • Spectator mode
    • Confirmed for PC, "we'll see" for console
    • Views: Table Top, First Person, Third Person, Free Cam
    • Can "set" up to four free cams around the map to quickly jump to certain location
    • UI can be turned off
    • Can click on player from table top view and get PiP view of their screen
  • Class info
    • Assault
      • Standard health bag
      • Small health pack, which you can toss onto someone. It regenerates their health, regardless of their proximity to you. If you toss onto ground, can still be used to regenerate health
      • Defibs need to be charged before you can pick someone up; seems they still need to be unlocked
    • Recon
      • C4
      • Motion sensor ball
      • Range finder
      • Ability to use different zoom levels in one scope
    • Support
      • Ammo bag: deployable ammo
      • Ammo pack: ammo that can individually be given to someone
      • Grenade launcher as equipment/gadget
  • Improved environments
    • Metal detectors can expose you, storefront gates can be shut to cut people off, fire extinguishers create smoke screens, bollards can prevent vehicle access
    • Water reacts dynamically to vehicles and events (skyscraper falling)
  • Weapons/equipment
    • Flashbangs
    • Incendiary grenades
    • Pistols can be customized
    • Tons of attachments/customizations (green hipfire laser sights, different foregrips, barrel types, bipods, silencer/flashlight combo)
    • Over 1200 items
    • Canted/dual sights
    • More shared weapons between classes

I'll post the BF4 News/Info thread after the livestream concludes today.

1080p on PS4 ? Is this confirmed excuse me ?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Isn't the "pre-alpha" thing just marketing garbage? Those leaked screens of the game with unfinished textures were from the real alpha build(ie. the in-house alpha build). Calling this pre-alpha is just PR drivel.

Not necessarily. This is a "stable" build while the alpha is likely an "unstable" build. They probably built this stable build on a version of the code that was pre-alpha, while the alpha is ongoing and not nearly as stable code-wise, particularly on the 360 (thus you get missing geometry and textures).

Remember, E3 demos can be as far as six months behind the full game. When you make a demo based off of incomplete code, you split your development in two based on two different goals: the final product and a showcase of that product. Development for the E3 multiplayer demo for BF4 was likely broken off some time ago.

PandaL

Thank you very much.

Those screens were from the Xbox version.

1080p on PS4 ? Is this confirmed excuse me ?

AFAIK, EA already said that BF4 runs @ 1080p & 60fps on both PS4 & XBO.

vixlar

The elevator teleports to the top floor?

When the player enters the elevator, the sounds of the guns never stop. Even you can see some flash below the door. Suddenly, silence, the door opens and you are in the top.

Friend sent me this, lotsa good info:

DVM8kkm.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hopefully some sort of team balance feature will be built in as well, instead of requiring server add ons.

#1 complaint for me in BF3 was unbalanced teams.

They are going to calculate a skill ranking, that is different from your normal rank. This should help balance teams.

I bet skill rank will just be your SPM.

I've always said if they took SPM into account in BF3 auto-balancing, they servers would have been far more even.

Roland1979

When the player enters the elevator, the sounds of the guns never stop. Even you can see some flash below the door. Suddenly, silence, the door opens and you are in the top.

So? It's a game. So basically all they need to do is block/muffle sound from outside the "elevator" and have it fade-out.
EDIT: and the spark and stuff of course.

PandaL

lol, dude no one would want to spend 2mins in the elevator.

Thanks man, but... do you have he link to the image? We can only see the thumbnail.

I'm able to see the full resolution if I click on the image. Anyway, here is the link. http://i.imgur.com/DVM8kkm.jpg

New info added to summary, looks like they've taken some ideas from BC2:

C4 can be tossed, can attach to boats
Engineers have PDWs; all classes have access to carbines, designated marksman rifles, shotguns, and pistols
Support has 25MM support grenade launcher, grenades explode midflight. Aim at target, then lift sights and fire and grenade explodes above target
Squad leaders can confirm that they are accepting the commanders orders
Spotting can spot multiple targets in an area at once
If your squad is wiped, your squad spec specialization resets

Oh, thanks :)

Yeah, sorry, huge image!

PS Livestream starts at 11:30 PST today: http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/e3-live-stream?websso=1

Sober

Friend sent me this, lotsa good info:
Missing assault. So is Assault and Support the only classes that can use ARs and LMGs respectively? Especially if they added carbines to all-kit rather than BF3 where engies had carbines only, and all classes get semi-auto snipers? Interesting.

vixlar

It seems the grenade counter is no longer in the main bullet counter, but it shows when you throw it.

The sniper looks more fun now. Does the high damage returned? It seems he kills some people without headshot.

The sound is fantastic. And the voices are a little better than BF3. But no chinese voices. I really wish those voices were in the final version.

Can anyone help me find the sources for 1080p and 60fps? I feel like it was mentioned multiple times over the past few days but candidly/not "confirmed". I'm getting a lot of questions on it, so I'm trying to find the sources.

GREAT gallery of customization options: http://imgur.com/a/ztXak#3

RPG7 can lock onto designated targets now o_O

EDIT: Thanks Tales of Win, great footage.

Also, Bach just confirmed the sensor ball for Recon, so I wonder if TUGS is a placeholder icon.

Thanks for all the info in this thread everyone, very helpful.

Might buy BF4 sooner than expected, didn't expect so many changes.

Edit: Oh, and it looks like you can click on the map to deploy like you used to now?

RoKKeR

np,

game look so much better without the blue tint.

Yep, that was one of the points I sent to Anton to put in his list haha.

There is still time for things to go horribly wrong, but the blue tint was way too big of a thing for DICE to ignore. It's clear that they really listened.

PandaL

great quality direct feed video. Best quality I seen so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O-cJhOCd7GY

Thank you so much.

And finally someone who knows how to shoot in Battlefield games.

Can anyone help me find the sources for 1080p and 60fps? I feel like it was mentioned multiple times over the past few days but candidly/not "confirmed". I'm getting a lot of questions on it, so I'm trying to find the sources.

GREAT gallery of customization options: http://imgur.com/a/ztXak#3

RPG7 can lock onto designated targets now o_O

EDIT: Thanks Tales of Win, great footage.

Also, Bach just confirmed the sensor ball for Recon, so I wonder if TUGS is a placeholder icon.

That's a ton of pics. Thanks.

PandaL

np,

game look so much better without the blue tint.

Yep, that was one of the points I sent to Anton to put in his list haha.

There is still time for things to go horribly wrong, but the blue tint was way too big of a thing for DICE to ignore. It's clear that they really listened.

Actually, even BF3 beta didn't have the blue tint. They added the blue tint in the final game.

If you lookup BF3 beta videos, you can notice that they don't have blue tint.

I too sincerely hope that they don't add blue tint in BF4.

Roland1979

60FPS, 64 players on console. A pre-alpha build that already looks, wouldn't say completely polished, but let's say I think they are not worried about progress and are at least on track. Looking good. Only bugs I've spotted was floating rubble and a incorrect death animation.

Spectator mode was developed in a matter of weeks? RUB IT IN YOU ASSHOLES

EDIT: DICE/EA is allowed media outlets to connect directly to the BF3 machines for direct capture (that's how LevelCap got their footage). Awesome, hope we get to see more.

anyone want to take a stab and guess the sales breakdown on bf4 after about 6 months after release? (worldwide)

PS3: 3 million
360: 3 million
PS4: 5 million
X1: 3 million
PC: 1 million

total: 15 million

nothing special, just the death screen and a "bad luck" messge according to this

well makes sense. If you're top of a skyscraper while it is crumbling you're going to dust very quickly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DICE has implied 7-10 online modes: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...mands-for-next-gen-have-changed-eas-soderlund

"If you just look at what we're doing today versus what we did five years ago, look at how much is in them," Soderlund said. "You need a deep, engaging single-player campaign. You need multiplayer with 7-10 game modes. You need to have a huge variety of locations. You need some kind of service to support the game post-launch that is not ripping consumers off but actually adds value. People choose one or maybe two games and they stick with those, and they want to be in that experience for a long time. So we as game creators need to make sure we fulfill their needs, to keep ahead of the curve. It's an interesting shift in that sense."

Top Bottom