• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Nintendo Finally Says Goodbye To 3D

While I understand its exclusion on the Switch, the 3D in the 3DS added a lot to my gaming experience with the thing. Hell, it made the image quality a lot better, too. Hopefully they bring back an improved version of the tech in a future handheld.

Madao

I don't think enough credit was given to glasses-free 3D. Especially the games that actually put the effort in.

It wasn't the most user friendly it could have been until the n3DS but the tech worked and added some literal depth to the graphics.

Kinda wish the Switch had a 3D screen too as the graphics and power bump would have done wonders.

looking back, 3D on 3DS suffered similarly to the Wii Remote. the improved version of them were the definitive versions of them but people were sick of them by the point they were made.

jdstorm

Banned
While I understand its exclusion on the Switch, the 3D in the 3DS added a lot to my gaming experience with the thing. Hell, it made the image quality a lot better, too. Hopefully they bring back an improved version of the tech in a future handheld.

Would love to see what could be done implimenting that tech into a Switch like device that was coupled with a Gear VR type virtual reality system.

Razzorn34

Yep. I always had my 3D on. I can only hope someone revisits this concept in the future. Even if it's just a little added depth, it really did make a difference to me.

willy_2

Neo Member

it'll be a long wait.

SoulUnison

Banned
Fuck. Glasses-free 3D is incredible.
It added so much to every game that bothered to implement it.

Smash 3DS is the definitive version thanks to the 60FPS 3D.
Almost every multi-platform game that hit the 3DS is best on it due to the 3D functionality.
I have THOUSANDS of hours on my 3DS and I bet I've had the 3D turned off for a small handful of them.

Why does the gaming community at large seem to absolutely shit on anything that isn't just the best graphics card available attached to a PS2 controller?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Are they discontinuing New 3DS XL? Also, is there really anymore here than Kotaku's article about the New 2DS XL announcement? I mean, they've done it in a shitty way, but it doesn't really look like there's much more to this article.

VLQ

this article makes no sense. 2DS launched in 2013. New 3DS with improved 3D in 2014. New 2DS is just an option. If anything, Nintendo says goodbye to 3D with Switch, not 2DS.

FyreWulff

"see, it was totally a fad!" 6 years after it's release.

It's a budget release just like every last version of their portable.. clearing out that lingering PCB stock. They don't have to put in the 3D screens or the cameras. It'll probably be more locked down like the Wii Mini, as well, in that it'll start with some sort of firmware that patches all the holes of the previous that you can't downgrade out of.

I also imagine people left that don't want to pay for 3D but also don't want to be seen playing a 2DS.

rekameohs

Banned
3D Land really made it work, that was kinda shocking. Not nearly enough to make it worth that crappy screen, but the 3D effect was pretty great for what it was.

FyreWulff

Also somewhat amusing that Sony isn't mentioned, who made a Playstation branded 3D TV and had most of a conference in 3D, and made 3D versions of PS3 games, and then noped out completely, even not shipping basic 3D support in the PS4 for years.

Branduil

Sure, Nintendo says good-bye to 3D.

Like they said good-bye to 2D Mario after the SNES. Until they welcomed it back on DS with NSMB, with great success.

Like they said good-bye to sandbox 3D Mario after Sunshine. Until Odyssey, when they'll welcome it back.

Like they said good-bye to cel-shaded Zelda. After Wind Waker, they gave fans the realistic styled Twilight Princess. Then they welcomed it back with Phantom Hourglass on handhelds, then Skyward Sword on consoles. And again with Breath of the Wild.

Nintendo tries something new, it gets mixed responses. So they try the opposite, or go back to something old and safe, like 2D Mario. Until they try again. It's a never ending cycle. Old new is the new new yet again. Their customers are a lot more conservative than Nintendo.

The 3DS was actually Nintendo's 3rd time to try 3D. It was of little importance on Famicom, they got burned badly with the Virtual Boy and 3D didn't prove to be system selling feature with 3DS. It still is appreciated by many.

When VR starts to take off, 3D will make its return on a Nintendo handheld. I can see them going into both directions at once, 3D on a screen for the younger audience, VR for the 13 year old and over.

I don't expect Nintendo to ever return to glasses-free 3D, but I think VR is likely once it's mass market ready, likely for the Switch 2.

And that's because 3D is holding screens hostage. A lot of the time it's pay that 3D upcharge or go fuck yourself.
Man, I wish theaters here had this problem. I recently went to see King Kong in 3D and just left because it was simply a listing fuckup.

orborborb

I always played every 3DS game in 3D, and really wish the 3D classic remasters of classic games had taken off more than they did, they are the only 8/16-bit remasters I've enjoyed as much as the original games because they really added something visually without changing the feel of the original pixel art.

Mutant

. Though it won’t replace the New 3DS XL on the market, it will be the better and undoubtedly more popular version.
Why would it be the better choice if it's essentially the 3DS XL without the 3D?

Forkball

Super Mario 3D Land and Pushmo probably had the best 3D integration. Runner ups would include Link Between Worlds and some of the classic 3D ports (Kirby's Adventure, Sega arcade etc.). It's neat that it worked at all, but it wasn't substantial enough to create new game experiences around it, unlike the DS's major additions such as the dual screen and touch capabilities.

3DS is great despite its hardware, not because of it.

Shame to see it go. Because of that my 3DSes will always be extremely valuable pieces of hardware. It's a difficult technology with a lot of drawbacks though, so I understand why it didn't catch on.

My favourite game for it would have to be Ocarina of Time. Being able to peer 'into' the screen into a higher fidelity version of my favourite game ever was just an awesome experience. It gave places like Lake Hylia and the Spirit Temple exterior brand new life.

I agree, playing OoT in 3D was like a watershed moment for me. I had never experienced playing a game in 3D before, and as the title screen started playing and I got the 3D effect to focus, I was totally blown away. It was as if I was looking into Hyrule through a window that I could hold in the palm of my hands. To this day, OoT 3D remains my most immersive gaming experience.

Agreed. Also having the little particles sometimes fly out of the screen was a neat touch. Kokiri Forest looked absolutely wonderful in 3D. I think the effect felt a little toned down in Majora's Mask 3D as opposed to Ocarina for some reason.

Madness

A lot of Nintendo gimmicks are barely used and then they are the only ones left doing anything meaningful. Think about since the Gamecube. How many took advantage of GBA hookup support. Then the Wii, how many actually had proper and solid Wii-mote controls like Twilight Princess or Galaxy or Metroid Prime etc. Then the Wii U, how many actually embraced the gamepad for things. Same goes for the DS stylus, 3D in the 3DS. I feel the Joy Cons in Switch will be the same. Underutilized etc.

Cuburt

It's cheaper and Nintendo is probably going to start phasing out their 3DS stock.

Take a look in any Media Create thread to see how many more times the New 3DSXL outsells the cheaper New 3DS and 2DS combined every week in Japan.

"It's cheaper" as a statement means almost nothing in this context.

Keyouta

I thought it was well implemented in certain titles, but I didn't care so much for it past the initial few months. Some large titles like Pokemon didn't use 3D well.

plufim

Bye 3D... will VR be the next out?
Something has to be in first before it can be next out.

I think this hot take entirely ignores that 2DS XL will be a new kid friendly product in the year of our Switch 2017. Switch is amazing but just does not come across as something that'd stand up to the typical punishment a child would dish out.

mooooose

A lot of Nintendo gimmicks are barely used and then they are the only ones left doing anything meaningful. Think about since the Gamecube. How many took advantage of GBA hookup support. Then the Wii, how many actually had proper and solid Wii-mote controls like Twilight Princess or Galaxy or Metroid Prime etc. Then the Wii U, how many actually embraced the gamepad for things. Same goes for the DS stylus, 3D in the 3DS. I feel the Joy Cons in Switch will be the same. Underutilized etc.
The majority of the DS and Wii libraries utilized touchscreen and motion controls, respectively. And I loved it.

3DS and Wii U were unfocused as hell in comparison and their additional features gave little inspiration or utility for new gameplay experiences.

JoyCons are just small, versatile controllers. Developers may underutilize the motion control and rumble, but always having 2 controllers with you will definitely not be. My entire library, sans Zelda, has local multiplayer modes that just use the JoyCons and much like the DS and Wii, it's awesome.

I welcome motion controls on the Switch as well. They've always been good.

Jazzem

Glad to see frequent mention of the Sega 3D classics, those are stupendous and a great showcase for the tech, especially knowing the lengths M2 went to. They'll likely be the games I return to most on 3DS :)

ghibli99

Yep, 3D Land, ALBW, and the M2 Sega 3D Classics series were all good cases for 3D. Stuff like XBC3D though, were not. Even Rhythm Heaven had really excellent 3D separation that had me playing it in 3D mode more than I thought I would. It isn't one of those essential features, but it was cool, especially on the n3DS, where the stable tracking still seems like some kind of magic every time I use it.

this article makes no sense. 2DS launched in 2013. New 3DS with improved 3D in 2014. New 2DS is just an option. If anything, Nintendo says goodbye to 3D with Switch, not 2DS.

Chances are 3DS will be hard to find, even now they aren't stocked all over the place. The New 2DS is probably a replacement and the only thing you're really going to find from here on out.

Outside of being forced to use 3D in those isometric Mario 3DL levels, I never bothered behind trying it at launch and switching it off. Happy for those that like it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Bye 3D... will VR be the next out?
I think so. Then again I don't think it'll ever be in to begin with. 3D and Kinect at least were cheap enough where the "gee whiz" novelty factor could motivate quite a few impulse buys. Before reality set in and people realize they didn't really want it.

-shadow-

I truly find it a waste that the tech is just thrown to the side once again until it comes back once again like it always does. While I get that not everyone will have use of it for various reasons, I personally love it if it's implemented well and could always just be a fun gimmick. Though I'm not surprised that the tech is dying once again, so much terrible 3D conversions done for the sake of having 3D and squeezing a few extra bucks out of people their wallets ruined any potential it had.

I truly hope that Nintendo eventually returns to glasses-free 3D, it really added to Kid Icaruss, Super Mario 3D Land and a bunch of others. Hell even stuff like Rhythm Paradise was amazing in 3D. And let's not forget those M2 conversions because damn!

Always means for the next few years, till the NAND memory housing the system's OS fails.

Debbie_Downer.PNG

Narroo

Aw, I really liked the 3D effect. I thought that it improved the visuals for many games-including 3D games, more than just having a few special effects.

Also, it effectively increased the resolution in many games as well.

CamHostage

Shame to see it go. Because of that my 3DSes will always be extremely valuable pieces of hardware. It's a difficult technology with a lot of drawbacks though, so I understand why it didn't catch on.

It is a little weird that we're looking at the possibility of 3DS's decent-but-not-outlandish-success business means we may never see glasses-free 3D again on a device. No option for those who liked it, no upgrade tree, just this one product and if it's not market-defining, no future products using its technology. That happens every once in a while in tech (sometimes for legal reasons, sometimes for cost, sometimes for lack of market penetration, etc,) and as a fringe tech user myself, it drives me crazy to see awesome devices where tech is not obsolete but availability just dries up.

Top Bottom