• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Nintendo Finally Says Goodbye To 3D

Cuburt

The irony is that as people lament 3d for its annoying glasses, headaches, added cost, and hit to the processing power, they evangelized VR despite it's bulky heavy headsets, nausea, huge added cost for just the peripherals needed without even thinking about the hardware necessary, and the serious hit to processing power.

At least the 3DS attempted to take away barriers rather than add even more and charge several hundred extra dollars to experience it.

Occam

The article makes no sense.
N3DS remains in production, and 2DS was released years ago.

3D games for 3DS continue to be made.

OmegaFax

A Link Between Worlds, Dragon Quest VII, Yoshi's New Island, Woolly World, Dark Moon ... there were a lot of games where I enjoyed the 3D effect AFTER I bought a New 3DS. The eye tracking technology made a night & day difference how I used it. Sega 3D Classics are awesome, as is Kirby's Adventure. A lot of 2D games really shined in my opinion. It's a shame NIntendo didn't dip in and experiment with SNES games and left the idea behind at E3 2010.

The only major downside to 3D if you used it was the performance hit some games took (I'm looking at you, Hyrule Warriors Legends). Sometimes the performance trade-off wasn't worth the 3D effect. Some games got around this by disabling AA (like Revelations did) or tweaked texture filtering distance (Dragon Quest VII's field maps).

If they improved the 3DS hardware even further, performance and maybe even eye tracking problems could be improved or eliminated. I mean, if they embraced "Pro" or enhanced modes like their competition with little to no changes required by the original games and didn't break compatibility, they could easily increase the pixel count of the screen, bump the internal resolution, and still have power to spare for 3D and smooth performance that wouldn't drain the battery.

The New 2DS XL feels like a way to sunset the platform as developers empty out their 3DS pipeline so they can move on to Switch or another platform.

novacav

Haven't seen it mentioned here but the 3D in Virtue's Last Reward was absolutely superb in my opinion, aside from the occasional weird visual glitch. It made the 3DS version far superior to the Vita version IMO.

ZTD ditched the 3D and so there was really no reason to play it on 3DS.

pa22word

The irony is that as people lament 3d for its annoying glasses, headaches, added cost, and hit to the processing power, they evangelized VR despite it's bulky heavy headsets, nausea, huge added cost for just the peripherals needed without even thinking about the hardware necessary, and the serious hit to processing power.

At least the 3DS attempted to take away barriers rather than add even more and charge several hundred extra dollars to experience it.

That's because vr is literally a complete game changer (ie games, unless designed around it really don't work in a vr situation properly). 3D is just a "well that sort of looks nice" addition to already existing games. People are willing to give early vr the benefit of the doubt considering the massive potential benefits. 3D was a just a very short lived fad on the way to real vr experiences in the gaming world anyway, thus it's potential long term benefits were always drastically less good looking as a potential investment vs a static medium like movies that won't really see much benefit from vr.

cakefoo

Bye 3D... will VR be the next out?
No? VR actually has unique strengths for new games, experiences and applications across many genres and fields, and the technology will get better and better. 3D was just a neat aesthetic feature for existing content.

That's because VR is a game changer. All the extra costs and hassle were worth it to me. 3DTV is just a neat gimmick, and 95% of filmmakers treat it as such. (edit: beaten)

That's because the autostereoscopic tech for the 3DS wasn't very expensive, and Nintendo is always going for the mainstream. VR for the next 10 years ISN'T aiming at the mainstream. It's just aiming to uncover its own potential, like any other cost-prohibitive, infantile format.

You don't want to pay for it now? I don't blame you. We enthusiasts will continue investing in it because we have the disposable income and the passion to see it through.

Lynx_7

I'd use the 3D feature in my 3DS XL a lot more if it wasn't so damn finnicky and unstable. The effect is cool in some games but using it is way too uncomfortable to bother.
The 3DS really should've come with the eye tracking technology in the first place because by the time the New 3DS came out it was too little too late, a lot of people had already written off the feature.

Regiruler

Kid Icarus Uprising was good but felt a little too boxed in.

I think the best overall use of the box syndrome would have to be Federation Force, actually.

It's too bad media companies killed 3D. The demand was there but proprietary war on glasses, tv sets, monitors, media and even your graphics card killed it once again like in the past. And if VR doesn't get a universal standard, they will die as well.

It's a shame because I liked 3D and it would have been defacto if it weren't for corporate greed or the need to be first.

PetrCobra

Are they discontinuing their n3DS lines? Did I miss something? How is Nintendo moving away from 3D by releasing (another) cheaper alternative?

Madao

this is what duped Nintendo to add 3D. had that movie not been made, they would have never put 3D on the DS's sucessor.

at least it was something they could ditch over time without breaking the games, unlike the Wii U's gamepad.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I think the 3d using my n3ds on luigis mansion and albw is quite nice looking.

BUT is it worth it?

Probably not. It requires gaming with a bit more focus, which sometimes deters me from more casual sessions.

It's a nice optional feature, but if it suddenly disappeared I am not going to miss it so much.

Making this the central feature of their system was a mistake. Expensive screens, less gameplay on touch screen, and no book mode.

SkylineRKR

3D was terrible everywhere. When I go into the cinema i'm always relieved if the movie is 2D. I've seen perhaps 2 good 3D movies, Avatar and Dredd.

As for the 3DS, I couldn't cope with that function. VR is better but I don't like that either.

Alchemy

I would have taken higher resolution displays over 3D all day every day. One of the reasons I really enjoyed the Vita was how crisp the screen was, especially compared to the 3DS and that thing wasn't even 720p. The low res on the 3DS was simply awful.

Alex

Thank God. An unimpressive implementation of 3D that forced an painful, sub-psp screen resolution and functioned like crap until the n3ds.

3DS had some great games but it would've been so much more usable to me if it had simply omitted the 3D for a 480p screen

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Goodbye and good riddance.

I put well over 2,000 hours on my 3DS consoles and I never turned on 3D for longer than 2 hours over that time. I would have Nintendo rather spend that money for a better screen and a more powerful CPU/GPU.

I think their point is that before you needed one for the few games that were only playable on new 3DS or for the extra horse power in Smash or Hyrule Warriors....now there really is no reason to buy a 3DS.

Except i hate the XL size and wish the regular size was available too. Just a small gripe though.

Kirby Triple Deluxe looked incredible in 3D. Real shame to see it go. So did, Robobot of course. Playing on a hacked N3DS was awesome for 3d gaming. My eyes never strained.

ViciousDS

Banned
3D is still pretty big

I won't spend the extra money on 3D.......it's a stupid gimmick and 3D at the movies is even worse when half of them are just tacked digitally for a minor effect but bump the sales price another $10 per ticket.

We watched avatar in 3D which is still the best experience I've had with the format......nearly everything else is just a money grab and garbage

gelf

It's funny how I found the 3D effect worked best for 2D games. I loved it for the Sega classics. Turned it off for most other things.

Amir0x

Banned
thank god, autostereoscopic 3D was always awful and the only time I ever used it was to ensure the 3d perspective worked for those who actually used that crap in my Colors! 3D art.

Justice won.

That, and on top of this, using the logic that Schreier is using here, apparently the era of clamshell handhelds was over when Nintendo originally released the 2DS, right? I mean, using the logic he's using, that's what would logically follow, basing everything on the latest product at a specific time. But now they released this, and the clamshell design is back.

That and like you said, the 2DS has already been on the market and despite that Nintendo has continued to bother to give games like Fire Emblem 3D support. If Nintendo truly had data saying no one cares about that, or whatever, they wouldn't bother to do something like that and all and would have just given up adding auto-stereoscopic 3D at all. That they are in fact continuing to add 3D support with these late-in-life games pokes a huge hole in this.

Nothing about this article makes sense at all. It just seems to be his own biases regarding 3D seeping through. Especially with lines like "Though it won't replace the New 3DS XL on the market, it will be the better and undoubtedly more popular version" which he pulls out of his at ass and can't possibly know at all, but just throws out there like a matter of a fact. I usually expect better from Schreier than that. Shame.

Edit: And to be clear, since I myself don't want to be misconstrued, I definitely don't think 3D will stick around on any new Nintendo platform. But the existence of this device has nothing to do with that and the logic used is extremely flimsy regardless. That's all I want to get across and it remains true even if the larger point with the article ends up being right, this is nonetheless a complete fluff piece that is no more true now than when Nintendo first revealed the original 2DS. Just nonsense.

jackal27

Banned
I still play on Max 100% 3D every time to this day.

Some of my favorite 3D effects in 3DS games:

- Bravely Default/Second
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Zelda: ALBW
- Animal Crossing New Leaf
- Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
- Kid Icarus Uprising

rjc571

Banned
I never turn off the 3D in Zelda games. It's fantastic.

I agree, playing OoT in 3D was like a watershed moment for me. I had never experienced playing a game in 3D before, and as the title screen started playing and I got the 3D effect to focus, I was totally blown away. It was as if I was looking into Hyrule through a window that I could hold in the palm of my hands. To this day, OoT 3D remains my most immersive gaming experience.

Shaanyboi

Banned
When I got a New 3DS, I felt way more comfortable using the 3D as it wouldn't lose tracking with me anymore. I wouldn't turn it up high, maybe just the lowest setting. But that was a helluva more than the previous years where I never touched that slider beyond the occasional curiosity.

CamHostage

LG & Sony stopped this year, and they were the last two major TV makers that supported 3D

https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-corpse-of-3d-tv-finally-falls-down-dead/

It's a shame; with 4K, some of the technical hurdles of 3D are eliminated/lessened thanks to full 1080 vertical per eye, and especially with Passive 3D, you avoid the cost and the viewing angles and the multiple viewer problems that game 3D a bad name thanks to Active 3D. (You couldn't do same-screen multiplayer with Passive 3D, though, one of the amazing gifts of the 3D era that sadly went underused.) They could make some pretty good 3D TV these days (and not necessarily add a ton to the cost of the set,) but the feature is now a pariah and other buzzwords have made it go dormant/to die.

When I got a New 3DS, I felt way more comfortable using the 3D as it wouldn't lose tracking with me anymore. I wouldn't turn it up high, maybe just the lowest setting. But that was a helluva more than the previous years where I never touched that slider beyond the occasional curiosity.

I was about to say to somebody else who complained that the 3D sucked or was painful, it's worth it to try the New 3DS line as it should be significantly more comfortable and reliable.

XaosWolf

I don't think enough credit was given to glasses-free 3D. Especially the games that actually put the effort in.

It wasn't the most user friendly it could have been until the n3DS but the tech worked and added some literal depth to the graphics.

Kinda wish the Switch had a 3D screen too as the graphics and power bump would have done wonders.

Cipherr

Avatar sold for reasons beyond 3d, and it was a loooong time ago dude. At some point the 3D wave needs new material. Seems like manufacturers are not trying to push 3D sets anymore, instead just jumping on to something new. Only place 3D still rates is cinemas for blockbusters.

Isometric games and games with top down cameras in general benefited greatly from the depth.

I think the 3DS was ultimately Nintendo being afraid of missing the 3D train that every tech company was hopping on, and figured out a way to come out way ahead of them.
What they didn't understand was that they were 1UPing a bad idea, that would be abandoned a few years later, and was just a fad.
The new 3DS I have does a good job, but ultimately too many people can't stand the look for it to be worth doing.

The new 2DS is a great idea.

Nintendo already said their farewells with Switch. It's sad. Super Stable 3D made it usable, and I think modern SoCs can give it the horsepower to make it even worthwhile. But it's probably a necessary concession if you're going to build a hybrid seeing how there aren't glasses-free 3D TVs.

J@hranimo

Banned
6 years. Whew.

The New 2DS XL is a nice looking revision though. Really looking forward to seeing unboxings and impressions for it.

3D was really good on Kid Icarus Uprising, which I still consider one of the system's best games.

Top Bottom