• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best ver. of games during the Gamecube, PS2 and X-Box era

Tizoc

CvSNK2's is DC? How so? I heard good things about the xbox version. The Arcade Cabinet does cover the games I'm interested in, but to be honest I like getting physical copies of games where I can.

DC version is closest to the Arcade version, I think the Xbox version, much like the GC version changed a few things like removing Roll Cancels. Sorry that's the most I can recall atm ^^;

catmincer

but why! please, everyone, also tell us why it's better!

Dreamcast version runs smoother, doesn't have graphical glitches and doesn't lock up at random points in the game. In an rpg lock ups can be the worst thing ever especially if you
miss a save point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I need to reiterate that Grandia 2 is so much better on Dreamcast than PS2. So much so it should be in the op. I played the PS2 version after the Dreamcast one and it's honestly just awful.
It should also be noted that the PC version is equally terrible. The port was not handled by GameArts and it shows. It's really a mess.

Okay, I was thinking this was the case, but couldn't remember why. Was it due to the water?

Along the same lines, I remember Prince of Persia: Sands of Time looking nicer on GameCube compared to the Xbox. The textures were higher res on the Xbox, but something about the lighting looked better on the GameCube to me. Then again, I've always been of the opinion that the GameCube had really good image quality (something about the colors/gamma), better than the Wii. If anyone can support this opinion of mine, I'd like to know why it seems this way.

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. The audio was sub-par on the GameCube compared to the Dreamcast. The MIDI instruments just don't sound right. Considering this game has an amazing soundtrack, that's a huge knock against it, and enough to sway me in favor of the Dreamcast.
Some clarifications;

BG&E was actually best on Xbox due to the higher framerate. It helds 60 fps fairly regularly on XBOX but dipped more often on Gamecube.

The Gamecube versions of PoP were not of good quality either. Why? Horrible 16-bit color dithering. The visuals were absolutely ruined by this (especially the two sequels). Image quality is much better on Xbox.

As for Arcadia, you're right on about the music, but the texture quality also took a hit. The resolution is the same but there are added compression artifacts visible that were not present on Dreamcast.

For the vast majority?
Xbox>GC>PS2.

There were outliers as there always are, but in terms of raw power that was basically the way it ran and most multiplatform games kind of bore that out.

Unfortunately... it was usually xbox>PS2>GC.

The GC had the superior hardware for rendering, but many 3rd party devs didn't even both because of the low install base. They just pushed the PS2 version onto GC hardware, and cut FMVs or whatever else was necessary to fit it onto the 1.5GB discs.

rjc571

Banned
my jaw literally dropped to the floor when i saw the difference between the PS2 and the original xbox in just cause, i was really underestimating the power of the xbox. hell it looks noticeably better than wii games; This also takes me to the last vs next gen in-term of graphical jump, the original xbox was very capable and apart from the resolution jump on the X360 version, just cause on it is very close to the original xbox version.

Uhh... I suggest that you actually compare footage of the 360 version with the Xbox version before you make silly comments like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAve2QT6t4&feature=player_detailpage#t=287
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT7PsJiuAdw&feature=player_detailpage#t=315
Even with the low quality stream, you can tell the assets and effects are a generation ahead on 360.
On another note, the PC port of Just Cause was garbage. It didn't support widescreen and the assets seem closer to the original Xbox version.

GoxRx

I remember that I bought the ps2 version of Just Cause and it was awful. I just played the damn game for 2 hours and never again.

Tizoc

It should also be noted that the PC version is equally terrible. The port was not handled by GameArts and it shows. It's really a mess.

Some clarifications;

BG&E was actually best on Xbox due to the higher framerate. It helds 60 fps fairly regularly on XBOX but dipped more often on Gamecube.

The Gamecube versions of PoP were not of good quality either. Why? Horrible 16-bit color dithering. The visuals were absolutely ruined by this (especially the two sequels). Image quality is much better on Xbox.

As for Arcadia, you're right on about the music, but the texture quality also took a hit. The resolution is the same but there are added compression artifacts visible that were not present on Dreamcast.

Hmm so BG&E would be Xbox>GC>= PS2?
...and overall Arcadia is best on Dreamcast, what graphical changes were done in the GC ver. if you could elaborate more please?

Unfortunately... it was usually xbox>PS2>GC.

The GC had the superior hardware for rendering, but many 3rd party devs didn't even both because of the low install base. They just pushed the PS2 version onto GC hardware, and cut FMVs or whatever else was necessary to fit it onto the 1.5GB discs.

I remember Enter The Matrix and one Lord of the Rings game being released as 2-disc games on GameCube, while the other consoles got the whole game on one disc. But at least the Cube did get the full game both times.
Killer7 was also released on 2 discs on GameCube and one disc on PS2, yet the GC version was FAR superior. Better colors, smoother framerate, even better controls iirc. GameCube was definitely the platform of choice for this game.

Also I remember quite some PS2 ports having really unsaturated colors.
Sega Soccer Slam for example. Xbox and GC versions were pretty much identical, the PS2 versions though looks like a grey-ish mess.

I also think that Need for Speed Underground 2 looked worse on GameCube than on Xbox and PS2 due to low resolution textures? Could be wrong on that one.

Also someone said or implied that Prince of Persia Warrior Within and The Two Thrones looked worse on GameCube?
That is not true. The GameCube version of Warrior Within at least looks better to me than the PS2 version, due to colors once again, but also because the framerate got a lot worse on PS2 than it did on GameCube. Can't comment on the Xbox version though.

Also, whoever said that the GameCube version of THPS3 and/or 4 didn't have a Skate Park editor: You are wrong. There is a Skate Park editor in both games. I know I had TREMENDOUS amounts of fun using it. Still got my parks on my memory card even.

In addition to the framerate stuff, IIRC the Xbox (and PS2) version supports more languages on disc than the GCN version due to storage advantages.

I wouldn't consider less languages on the disc to be a reason for a "worse" port.
One thing I know about the GC version (may apply to the PS2 and Xbox versions too, I don't know) is that photographs look like shit (read: horribly compressed) on GameCube (this is compared to the PC version, where photographs are crystal clear). It doesn't gameplay per se but it's still a bit annoying to see such an overcompressed JPEG of the photo you just took.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dreamcast version runs smoother, doesn't have graphical glitches and doesn't lock up at random points in the game. In an rpg lock ups can be the worst thing ever especially if you
miss a save point.

I wonder which version the PC version is based on, because from memory, it runs at a smooth 60 on the shittiest hardware.

Edit: I misunderstood the topic, didn't realise we were only comparing PS2 Xbox and Gamecube versions, sorry :)

Jamix012

IGN actually ran a couple of head-to-heads which disproves some of these claims.
The ones I just read say the following
Spiderman 2
Xbox>GC>PS2

BG&E
Xbox>GC>PS2

Sonic Heroes
GC=>Xbox>>PS2

Prince of Persia:SoT
Xbox>GC>PS2

Timesplitters 2
Xbox>=GC>PS2

Also with Arcadia I'd still go with the GC version for the reduced encounter rates.

zma1013

I'm sure some of the 3rd party ports to Gamecube could have been a bit better than they were, but since GC wasn't a priority, they just shoved PS2 versions on the system. I wouldn't exactly call that an accurate indicator of the GC's power.

orborborb

anything that was released FIRST on a specific console, get that version (including dreamcast)

for games that were released simultaneously across consoles, the Xbox version will perform the best, but the Cube often performs just as well so in those cases I usually go for that version due to the Cube controller and Wii backwards compatibility.

Tizoc

A bit of an odd game to ask about, but what's the best ver. of Taz: Wanted?
Taz_Wanted.jpg

petran79

Banned
anything that was released FIRST on a specific console, get that version (including dreamcast)

for games that were released simultaneously across consoles, the Xbox version will perform the best, but the Cube often performs just as well so in those cases I usually go for that version due to the Cube controller and Wii backwards compatibility.

Unfortunately some non-Naomi arcade ports, despite being released on Dreamcast first, lack when compared to later releases for PS2 and Xbox.

Eg Garou:MOTW, SFIII:3S and Darkstalkers Collection

though others like SFIII: Double Impact are some of the most faithful arcade conversions.

Bumping this thread for some questions

Is Sonic Heroes actually better on GameCube? I have a Xbox and assumed they would be basically the same on either.

Tony Hawk games best on PS2 might have been right at the time because of online - but wrong now. THPS4, Tony Hawk's Underground, and it's sequel all run at native 720p. I don't think gamepad preference is a good argument for saying those are the better versions but yeah, a DualShock is nice for those games though I can play them all proficiently with all three consoles controllers.

Finally, I never heard of the GTA games running worse on Xbox - in fact, I've been told they actually have touched up graphics and I know they all support custom soundtracks. Any truth to the performance issues or is that just speculation?

Also intrigued about SSX On Tour. I don't have a PS2 so I can't test that version but I'm tempted to give the Xbox and GameCube ports a try now.

Some clarifications;

In addition to the framerate stuff, IIRC the Xbox (and PS2) version supports more languages on disc than the GCN version due to storage advantages.

I'd just like tip players that have NOT played BG&E to simply get the 360 (works on Xbox One BC) or PS3 versions in HD. They run great, and look way better than back on the old systems. I believe the HD version even runs in 1080p.

Lynd7

Bumping this thread for some questions

Is Sonic Heroes actually better on GameCube? I have a Xbox and assumed they would be basically the same on either.

Tony Hawk games best on PS2 might have been right at the time because of online - but wrong now. THPS4, Tony Hawk's Underground, and it's sequel all run at native 720p. I don't think gamepad preference is a good argument for saying those are the better versions but yeah, a DualShock is nice for those games though I can play them all proficiently with all three consoles controllers.

Finally, I never heard of the GTA games running worse on Xbox - in fact, I've been told they actually have touched up graphics and I know they all support custom soundtracks. Any truth to the performance issues or is that just speculation?

Also intrigued about SSX On Tour. I don't have a PS2 so I can't test that version but I'm tempted to give the Xbox and GameCube ports a try now.

Pretty sure GC was the lead platform for Sonic Heroes, Xbox and PS2 were buggier I think.

I'd just like tip players that have NOT played BG&E to simply get the 360 (works on Xbox One BC) or PS3 versions in HD. They run great, and look way better than back on the old systems. I believe the HD version even runs in 1080p.

Sure, but that's outside the scope of this thread

DJ Gunner

Uhh you sure the GTA games aren't better on Xbox?

On consoles exclusively, the XBOX version of GTA III is the definitive version. Near rock-solid 30fps and better character models. The PS4 re-release infuriates me because while the uprez is gorgeous, it still uses the same blockier PS2 models and the frame pacing is absolutely horrendous.

Glowsquid

WWE_Crush_Hour_Coverart.png

Which was the better ver. PS2 or GC?

well ummmm, comparing videos of the PS2 version with my GC copy (not exactly the most rigorous method I know, but I'm not getting tgis twice), the later has more stable framerate.

Though if I may opine: Speaking as a fan of car combat games with very low standards, this is a game you shouldn't play on *any* platforms.

SSX Tricky and 3 are apparently better on PS2 because of the four shoulder buttons. Little salty I missed out on a bunch of tricks thanks to my owning a GCN.

Tizoc

well ummmm, comparing videos of the PS2 version with my GC copy (not exactly the most rigorous method I know, but I'm not getting tgis twice), the later has more stable framerate.

Though if I may opine: Speaking as a fan of car combat games with very low standards, this is a game you shouldn't play on *any* platforms.

But it has JR commentary man. I'd get it for shits and giggles.

Tizoc

Pardon the bump but I've been thinking about the 2005 Ultiamte Spiderman game and am curious to know which is the better version of the game.

squarealex

Soul Calibur 2 best on GameCube.

SoulCalibur is better on PS2 than GameCube. NGC version have a little "blur".. (or it's maybe my Wii)

Xbox is best for resolution and 'little extra" graphic, other than, the PS2 version run well and is not "the worse", it run on the same resolution on the GC version.

EDIT :

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex : Xbox=PS2 > GameCube

Xbox run on 480p/60fps, have a better draw distance and Crash/Coco have fur, but some effect (reflexion/shadow) on the original PS2 missing, framerate can drop in some area.
PS2 is the original. Run at 240i-480i 60fps (framebuffer), more "aliasing", but is nice. Draw distrance is less important than Xbox and loading time is terrible, but he have nice effect (reflexion/shadow/transparent) and run well.
GameCube is the worst, the framerate run mostly at 30fps even worse, more effect are missing (fur, shadow, water, reflexion)

finley83

Banned
SoulCalibur is better on PS2 than GameCube. NGC version have a little "blur".. (or it's maybe my Wii)

Xbox is best for resolution and 'little extra" graphic, other than, the PS2 version run well and is not "the worse", it run on the same resolution on the GC version.

GC has the best exclusive character. That said I do think the PS2 pad is better suited to the game.

LCGeek

formerly sane

All have progressive scan.
Only XBox does 720p but in 4:3
GC has the strongest FPS performance with XBox being similar. PS2 FPS performance is so bad certain levels were tourney banned.
Xbox has strongest filtering for sharpness.
Cube is the softest
Xbox and GC sport stronger effects and also don't slow down when you get characters spazzing them on certain levels.
PS2 doesn't have AA or things of that nature while GC and Xbox do.

PS2 loses out to the other 2 due to certain things being mentioned. Make no mistake this is one of the few games that gen where the multiplatform was insanely close to begin with.

Mentioning the PS2 version is better for the pad is pointless considering it was a tourney heavy game and tons of people had converters or sticks.

Killer 7 was best on GameCube. The PS2 version suffered from longer load times, framerate drops, and stuff of that nature, iirc. I remember hearing it back in the day, but I never owned it on PS2 to confirm.

The lack of GunCon support for the PS2 version always seemed like a waste. I totally would have looked past the PS2 versions issues if it had GunCon support.

To the OP, Final Night Round 2 (AKA Fight Night: Round 2) was definitely better on GameCube what with the exclusive Punch Out content. Also, isn't the Xbox version of Mega Man Legacy Collection better than the PS2 version?

Saven

Banned
Max Payne: Xbox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2

Don't play Max Payne on PS2 unless your intention is to hate it first thing. Easily one of the worst ports for any game ever made, and this is being lumped in with the Silent Hill HD Collection.

Max Payne: Xbox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2

Don't play Max Payne on PS2 unless your intention is to hate it first thing. Easily one of the worst ports for any game ever made, and this is being lumped in with the Silent Hill HD Collection.

Yep Max Payne 1 and 2 are overwhelmingly better on Xbox than PS2, they actually match the PC versions in every meaningful way and have great controls too.
I thought GTA 3 was better on Xbox, it had improved graphics, 480p and such.

Yea it is a better version, much sharper rendering and also much sharper textures.

Some of the trails and post-processing effects are arguably better on PS2 in some ways, I have to take a look again personally for that stuff.

GTA SA I don't like on Xbox though, the shader effects are much nicer on PS2 even though the shadow resolution and rendering resolution is lower.

Top Bottom