• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 2016 Fiscal Year Earnings Release: Targeting 10 million Switches this f-year

Zedark

they already overdelivered on the fy goal for switch by 37%. they probably have been going with a higher production count to try and keep up with demand and reported on an earlier forecast they had decided on prior to the switch's launch.
Sure, it's not an unreasonable estimate, but I expect a slightly lower attach rate for BOTW to Switch sales because of consumers interested only in MK8D, and as such they might need to sell 1.5+ million Switch, which is really a lot.

Striek

Don't attach rates grow as the life of a system goes on? The PS4 always mentions increasing attach rate. Personally I found a 3.5× attach rate for the next year pretty great for the first year.

They do grow. Its an OK target. Its more realistic than they ever were with 3DS or Wii U, thats for sure.

3DS first year for comparison:

HW forecast: 16 million.
HW actual: 13.53 million. (but took a very fast, very large pricecut to do so)

SW forecast:
SW forecast: 62 million (not counting bundled software)
SW actual: 36 million (counting bundled software)

AniHawk

Call of Duty wasn't announced for switch yesterday, so the "lol no third party support" machine has been put in motion again.

Yeah, I know.

i talk to smaller publishers and everyone's pretty excited about the machine. it's not like vita where there was a sort of ho-hum 'oh well our psp fanbase is here now' - it's more of a matter of striking while the iron is hot because people are buying games like crazy for the thing right now.

WSJ said that per analysts, 20 million would be a "fair target" and above 25 million would be a "positive surprise".

Nintendo's target is 35 million.

well i think nintendo could probably clear about 15 million across mario kart, pokemon, and mario odyssey rather easily. maybe 20-25m on the upper limit if splatoon 2 really blows up. the rest being third-party games should make sense considering how hungry the fanbase seems. i can see both sonic games clearing 2m each between us and europe for instance.

That's a great first month of sales. I feel the 10 million is quite conservative given current demand. I could see as much as 4 million of that coming just from Japan. If they have anymore big titles coming in that time they'll smash 10 million IMO.

AniHawk

Sure, it's not an unreasonable estimate, but I expect a slightly lower attach rate for BOTW to Switch sales because of consumers interested only in MK8D, and as such they might need to sell 1.5+ million Switch, which is really a lot.

1.5m breaks down fairly easily if it's 700k north america, 500k europe, and 300k japan. it depends if nintendo's been planning on holding onto stock for april's big new title too.

Bruno MB

Nintendo are overly optimistic with their Nintendo 3DS forecast of 6 million units shipped. That would be just 1 million less than the previous year. They can be happy if Nintendo 3DS reaches 4 - 4.5 million units. At least it is a lock the system will surpass 70 million mark, I wonder if it can make it to 75 million. Below Game Boy Advance but not as far as 2015 results suggested before 2016 Pokémon resurgence.

AniHawk

That's a great first month of sales. I feel the 10 million is quite conservative given current demand. I could see as much as 4 million of that coming just from Japan. If they have anymore big titles coming in that time they'll smash 10 million IMO.

i think that they'll hit 16m ltd before the end of the fy.

japan: 4m
europe: 5m
us: 7m

the real question mark here is europe, i think. if they can get to this level, they'll be on their way to outselling the 3ds, and their plan for the second generation of switch games had better be good.

J@hranimo

Banned
Nintendo are overly optimistic with their Nintendo 3DS forecast of 6 million units shipped. That would be just 1 million less than the previous year. They can be happy if Nintendo 3DS reaches 4 - 4.5 million units. At least it is a lock the system will surpass 70 million mark, I wonder if it can make it to 75.

Cross release Pokemon game for 3DS and Switch LETS GO

Galava

And to think that we still have its first christmas to happen, with Mario, pokémon(?), splatoon, xenoblade, monster hunter next year...wow

They should buy the gaming divisions and more importantly the IP of both Konami and Capcom. Get the band back together.

Could be tough market conditions for the Scorpio launch. The assumption was that Nintendo would have to work hard not to be eclipsed by Scorpio at Christmas, possibly a contributory factor to the March launch. Now, it's Scorpio with the problem (if Nintendo can keep the hype going). They've got the water-cooler system to their left and Sony to their right with all the AAA tie-ups.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As a comparison, for the hardware / software expectations: PS4 sold 18.5 million units with 81.8 million games (tie ratio: 4.42) as of January 4th, 2015. Sony includes digital-only games in their statements, while Nintendo doesn't.

Anyway, I'm expecting the current forecasts to be far more on the safe side of the spectrum and thus something they can surpass with no struggles, provided things go as well as they are right now.

i think that they'll hit 16m ltd before the end of the fy.

japan: 4m
europe: 5m
us: 7m

the real question mark here is europe, i think. if they can get to this level, they'll be on their way to outselling the 3ds, and their plan for the second generation of switch games had better be good.

I was thinking 14-15 (with room to go higher) but yeah I think 10 is conservative. I agree that Europe is where it'll struggle most as long as it's not a total failure I can see it challenging 3DS WW long term.

Nintendo are overly optimistic with their Nintendo 3DS forecast of 6 million units shipped. That would be just 1 million less than the previous year. They can be happy if Nintendo 3DS reaches 4 - 4.5 million units. At least it is a lock the system will surpass 70 million mark, I wonder if it can make it to 75 million. Below Game Boy Advance but not as far as 2015 results suggested before 2016 Pokémon resurgence.

Yeah that's a very optimistic prediction unless they have some big surprises coming. No way it comes that close to the switch either.

ubiblu

Fpr4zAR.gif

You monster.

Ninferno

I glanced through the financial statements and couldn't find info on the "mobile and licensing" section which usually encompasses PM GO, SMR, FE:H and such. Did anyone find any number on those? Thanks.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nice :)

Why is it relevant? Personally, i cant remember the last time i've seen someone saying that Nintendo is doomed and truly ment it. I only see people using it sarcastically.
During the 3DS and Wii u and even the switch a heck of a lot really. Look through the switch reveal thread (January one). I mean there's a lot of overcompetition in it's use by Nintendo fans but it's still used a fair bit, or heavily implied.

I am 100% confident that the Switch will outsell the Wii U in its first year. Now the question is how high will it go?

Unfortunately I just came from the future and WWIII begins at the beginning of next year and all the Switch factories switch to producing weaponry.

The last Switch sold will be number 13,559,999.

How much money did Nintendo actually make? I'm guessing it's the 29 billion yen number, but it's a bit confusing.

10 million seems kind of insane unless they show HD Pokemon for release in 2018
You mean Christmas 2017? Along with a limited edition Nintendo Switch with Pikachu skinned joycons?
Made with real Pikachu hide.

AniHawk

10 million seems kind of insane unless they show HD Pokemon for release in 2018

10 million seems super conservative with their lineup and current sales.

10m between now and next march is 2.5m japan, 3m europe/other regions, and 4.5m north america. it's super doable.

JoeM86

10 million seems super conservative with their lineup and current sales.

10m between now and next march is 2.5m japan, 3m europe/other regions, and 4.5m north america. it's super doable.

It makes me laugh that their forecast is essentially to match the Wii U by the end of the fiscal year, and we all think it's too conservative

Worth noting the first two were in holiday period

Also helps that it's two months during the holidays.

I've actually got a question about this; how much of an impact does the holiday period actually have on the initial sell-through of a new hardware launch? Because I would assume a lot of the early adopters are made up of enthusiasts, so would the time period of launch have that much of a significant impact on the numbers?

AniHawk

It makes me laugh that their forecast is essentially to match the Wii U by the end of the fiscal year, and we all think it's too conservative

the first sign for people that this was not going to be the wii u was the october video. not only was it perfect, but it's currently over 30m views, about 3m less than the ps4 commercial sony ran in 2013 after their reveal conference.

the super mario odyssey reveal trailer currently has 20m views on youtube. and i know that this isn't how all success is gauged, but the device and the games for it are obviously reaching a lot of people or at least exciting a few million to the point where they're paying a lot of attention.

That just shows how much of a bomb the WiiU was. The 3DS did 12 million in its first FY. Switch being on par with 3DS is the best one can hope for.

Top Bottom