• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New IGN Nintendo Editor Announced - Filip Miucin (Youtuber)

Massicot

Not familiar with him but his videos look well put together (watched a bit of his Fifa one) and a nice lack of youtube-reaction-face on his video thumbnails. Good for him!

TheJoRu

Considering how IGN (and other games media) is more and more moving towards video content it makes sense to bring someone with his profile in, he makes competent videos. However, I've watched a lot of his stuff and he doesn't strike me as someone who would go in hard (rightly) criticising the company when appropriate, like Jose Otero would, or to an even greater extent someone like Andre Segers (GameXplain) would.

I could be totally wrong on that obviously, so we'll see how it goes.

Nbz

Considering how IGN (and other games media) is more and more moving towards video content it makes sense to bring someone with his profile in, he makes competent videos. However, I've watched a lot of his stuff and he doesn't strike me as someone who would go in hard (rightly) criticising the company when appropriate, like Jose Otero would, or to an even greater extent someone like Andre Segers (GameXplain) would.

Yeah I don't know if he is just an evangelist or someone who can rightly critique them when necessary. Also don't know if he has the knowledge base to draw from (Can he call out Nintendo owned studios by name, know their past history, analyse the industry in the way games media does as opposed to surface level youtube stuff etc...)

Hopefully he got the job because he has all that AND the video editing skills/on camera presence

Fireblend

Banned
Could be good. Could be racist. Who knows with YouTubers these days.

I don't think it's nice to automatically assume people you don't know have an above-average chance of being racist just because they use YouTube...

Ever heard of confirmation bias?

He’s been vocal on Podcasts with Spawnwave that he skipped Wii U because he wasn’t happy with Nintendo’s direction. Time will tell but I think he can provide constructive criticism when needed.

WhatNXt

He’s been vocal on Podcasts with Spawnwave that he skipped Wii U because he wasn’t happy with Nintendo’s direction. Time will tell but I think he can provide constructive criticism when needed.

The mind boggles that someone who skipped games like Mario Maker, Mario 3d World and Splatoon 1 would be put in charge of a Nintendo site.

I'm assuming he played them even if he skipped buying the machine

Porcile

My post was of obviously tongue in cheek. Chill, GAF. I hope he does a good job since I enjoy the NVC show very much.

KLoWn

My post was of obviously tongue in cheek. Chill, GAF. I hope he does a good job since I enjoy the NVC show very much.
It's really hard to know nowadays, but good to know you weren't serious. And yes, hopefully he does a good job.

The mind boggles that someone who skipped games like Mario Maker, Mario 3d World and Splatoon 1 would be put in charge of a Nintendo site.

If I remember he has mentioned being happy certain games would be ported to Switch because he missed them. A lot of people skipped Wii U so I don’t think that is an automatic disqualifier.

Believe he had a 3DS and he is definitely passionate about Nintendo. I’m happy for him, but admittedly a bit surprised. Not sure what his background is outside/before YouTube. I believe he has only been a YouTuber for about a year, but I may be mistaken.

Edit: I also want to add that I think he will do a good job. I’ve listened to him on Spawnwave’s (another YouTUber) podcast and he usually has very good points.

......I like Filip's videos and am surprised to see him get a nice gig so soon. He really blew up once the Switch hit (a lot of Youtubers did).

I mostly enjoy him for his reviews of Switch accessories most other outlets completely ignore or overlook. He was the sole reason I bought a J&TOP controller for Switch (which has an incredible dpad btw).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Never heard of him. Best of luck! Otero is big shoes to fill.

shira

Guy looks way too old.

Oh well congrats to your IGN internship+Nintendo Marketing job in 2-3 years.

entremet

Could be good. Could be racist. Who knows with YouTubers these days.

Boy, this is getting old.

Not saying it could happen, but I hope a large corporation like IGN would do their due diligence, especially given the high profile downfalls.

Not sure how I feel about this. As long as Peer is still around, I'll keep listening to NVC. But I'm skeptical of this choice.

They still have bothe Peer and Brian Altano so he doesn’t have to carry Nintendo coverage himself. I think he will do just fine, but as I said above it was a bit of a surprise despite his well done content.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

heringer

"I'm really concerned he's just an evangelist and can't criticize Nintendo"

*He didn't like the WiiU

"How dare he!"

I know it's not the same person, just joking a bit. :p

Good for him, to see how he does.

And of course because the thread directly makes notice of it, I'll just mention I kind of hate how many people on GAF handle 'YouTubers'. YouTube is literally an open video platform, there's as many different types of people on YouTube as there is in the real world. All YouTuber means is a person who's made videos on YouTube, there's no hivemind or shared mentality between them outside of regular world stuff. I understand a lot of this comes more from jealousy and disdain for specific YouTubers that have gained notoriety for good reason, but trying to do broad strokes with selected individuals highlighted is not the way to handle it I think. Just the label is such a negative buzzword for GAF discussion based on this, but it's a case where a shitty people in an open platform mixed with wanting to side against them because of said jealousy makes it a smear campaign sometimes on GAF just with the mention of the label or site.

I would be interested in whoever it was joining IGN for their Nintendo department due to the past, but the moment I saw the choice of title for the thread and the thread's contents I already kind of knew where part of this topic was going to go, and it's already started by a few posts in this thread.

It's no hivemind but there's definitely the "right way" to get more subscribers, and that shapes the culture and style of most channels.

mhayes86

Never heard of him, but I enjoy IGN's NVC, so I'm interested in seeing how he does. The gang has been doing a great job since Jose left.

Top Bottom