• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

masterkajo

OK guys, I could use a little help.

I own a mechanical keyboard, a very simple Cherry G80-3000 Qwertz (German) layout with cherry mx black switches. A friend has the same with blue switches and I tend to like the feeling of the blue switches more but I fear that they are too loud for my family and coworkers if I take it to work.

I want to get a new keyboard and was wondering which switches you would recommend. The keyboard itself should be as simple as possible (no extra buttons, no rgb etc) maybe even such a small 75% design without numpad. How do those feel for typing and gaming? I like the designs I see here with the different colors and the retro 80s feeling. Also dig the bezelless design. I think the most important thing is that I do have a big Enter key as I am used to that and that it has a Qwertz layout (if diy keyboards are a thing I would consider that as well). Any recommendations? Thanks guys.

Mr. RPG

I just got my first mechanical keyboard. It is a Razer Blackwidow X Chroma.

I don't really know how I feel about the green switches. I love how they feel, I don't know if I can get used to the sound. :(

Everything else about this keyboard is amazing, though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm an IT consultant, and I've started a new project. The keyboards they have at hand simply don't cut it. The ones that might be usable are so dirty I don't want to touch them. I've decided I need a proper keyboard, and my company says they want to support us with any aid we need to be productive. My boss said he expects me to get the keyboard that has most value for my requirements. I require Cherry MX Brown switches. I hope they are quiet enough for my coworkers. If it isn't, I'll just return it. I had the Das Keyboard Professional before, and I love that keyboard.

If someone has a suggestion on a better value keyboard, I'm all ears. It can be TKL, but that wouldn't be my go-to. I'd like a professional type keyboard. No LEDs, few or no extra keys like media control. Since I'm in a office landscape, it's important that it's quiet, but hopefully not so important that I can't have the Brown switches. If someone has any experience on some keyboards being louder than others, I'd love to hear about it!

Masterkeys maybe? Browns shouldn't be loud unless you are heavily bottoming them out, but I find them too easy to bottom out. Could try o-rings or dampening brackets like zealencios or the cheaper GMK ones (when they eventually start shipping). Clears require a bit more force to press making them harder to bottom out and have better tactile feedback, but you lose out on "value" at that point since it will be quite a bit more expensive.

OK guys, I could use a little help.

I own a mechanical keyboard, a very simple Cherry G80-3000 Qwertz (German) layout with cherry mx black switches. A friend has the same with blue switches and I tend to like the feeling of the blue switches more but I fear that they are too loud for my family and coworkers if I take it to work.

I want to get a new keyboard and was wondering which switches you would recommend. The keyboard itself should be as simple as possible (no extra buttons, no rgb etc) maybe even such a small 75% design without numpad. How do those feel for typing and gaming? I like the designs I see here with the different colors and the retro 80s feeling. Also dig the bezelless design. I think the most important thing is that I do have a big Enter key as I am used to that and that it has a Qwertz layout (if diy keyboards are a thing I would consider that as well). Any recommendations? Thanks guys.

Browns are slightly lighter to press than blues (and a fair bit lighter than blacks) and have a light tactile bump but no click sound.

Or clears, like I mentioned above, which would feel between black and blue in terms of stiffness and have a tactile bump but no click.

Tripon

So, I'm an IT consultant, and I've started a new project. The keyboards they have at hand simply don't cut it. The ones that might be usable are so dirty I don't want to touch them. I've decided I need a proper keyboard, and my company says they want to support us with any aid we need to be productive. My boss said he expects me to get the keyboard that has most value for my requirements. I require Cherry MX Brown switches. I hope they are quiet enough for my coworkers. If it isn't, I'll just return it. I had the Das Keyboard Professional before, and I love that keyboard.

If someone has a suggestion on a better value keyboard, I'm all ears. It can be TKL, but that wouldn't be my go-to. I'd like a professional type keyboard. No LEDs, few or no extra keys like media control. Since I'm in a office landscape, it's important that it's quiet, but hopefully not so important that I can't have the Brown switches. If someone has any experience on some keyboards being louder than others, I'd love to hear about it!
Ikbc MF 108 or MF 87. It's RGB backlighting but programmable from the keyboard. If work will pay for it, might as well get a stylish keyboard with both keycaps, and a detachable wire as well.

Oh, and the case is all aluminum.

-SG

Or clears, like I mentioned above, which would feel between black and blue in terms of stiffness and have a tactile bump but no click.

Another vote for Clears. My first board has Blues but when I decided to bring one into the office, I needed something quieter. Browns didn't feel as nice to me, but Clears are just right.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Another vote for Clears. My first board has Blues but when I decided to bring one into the office, I needed something quieter. Browns didn't feel as nice to me, but Clears are just right.

I love my clears and I don't know why they aren't more common. :(

masterkajo

Masterkeys maybe? Browns shouldn't be loud unless you are heavily bottoming them out, but I find them too easy to bottom out. Could try o-rings or dampening brackets like zealencios or the cheaper GMK ones (when they eventually start shipping). Clears require a bit more force to press making them harder to bottom out and have better tactile feedback, but you lose out on "value" at that point since it will be quite a bit more expensive.

Browns are slightly lighter to press than blues (and a fair bit lighter than blacks) and have a light tactile bump but no click sound.

I think I might try clear switches. After some research they sound good. Also, I did research for tkl vs 75 vs 60. I really like the small design of the 60 but would likely miss the arrow keys and f keys. How hard is it to get used to not using them? Should I rather take a tkl?

Septimius

Ikbc MF 108 or MF 87. It's RGB backlighting but programmable from the keyboard. If work will pay for it, might as well get a stylish keyboard with both keycaps, and a detachable wire as well.

Oh, and the case is all aluminum.

Can't get a hold of them here in Norway :(

Thanks! I went for a Masterkeys L PBT (Cherry MX Brown). It was clean, sleek enough and with the PBT, the pronounced clicky-clacks are hopefully dulled down a bit. I'll be receiving it tomorrow, so that'll be a good day!

thuway

Just picked myself up a Realforce Anniversary 87US - Silenced with a 55G Dome Swap. Looks extremely nice.

e9jwt9I.jpg

With that said, I thought I would share my Topre collection with everyone. ^_^. All stock sliders swapped to Silenced Purple sliders.

From top to bottom , Left to Right:
1. Realforce 87U- Purple Slider Silenced, Dome Swapped with BKE Carbon Domes
2. Realforce RGB - KBD Silenced ,Dome Swapped with 55G Domes
3. FC660C - Purple Slider Silenced
4. HHKB - Purple Slider Silenced, Dome Swapped with 55G Domes
5. HHKB Type S - HiPro Keycaps, Purple Slider Silenced, Dome Swapped with BKE Non Carbon Domes

0HKzo8Y.jpg

And here's a closer look at them individually.

kWtenDZ.jpg

X7tcPpk.jpg
|
l8YcFvT.jpg

2gc7f70.jpg

KcJx0YL.jpg

thuway

Where is the Q key?

The Q key was removed for the picture to show that the stock sliders have been swapped on all keyboards to the Elusive Realforce Purple Silenced Slider.

Also the real star of this are the BKE dome swapped boards since Topre made such few Sony Bke 2011 boards. The tactility in those are out of this world.

mike6467

So I'm in the market for a tenkeyless (I guess that's what they're called?) keyboard. After I had my CM Storm (cherry mx blue) die after an unfortunate spill, I've been running with a Logitech G710+ (browns). The Logitech has been fine, but I need a more compact keyboard and I rarely use the number pad. I also miss the blue switches, and while I haven't used them yet the green switches sound great and I'm wondering what options I might have. This is probably going to be used 50/50 between gaming/productivity.

Any recommendations? I'd rather not spend over $100, but for the right one I might go higher.

Tripon

So I'm in the market for a tenkeyless (I guess that's what they're called?) keyboard. After I had my CM Storm (cherry mx blue) die after an unfortunate spill, I've been running with a Logitech G710+ (browns). The Logitech has been fine, but I need a more compact keyboard and I rarely use the number pad. I also miss the blue switches, and while I haven't used them yet the green switches sound great and I'm wondering what options I might have. This is probably going to be used 50/50 between gaming/productivity.

Any recommendations? I'd rather not spend over $100, but for the right one I might go higher.

CM Master Keys S, which is the TenKeyless version. Backlighting versions comes with ABS keycap and are either White Backlighting or RGB.

Non backlighting version comes with PBT keycaps with pad printing, I use the Master Keys L version right now with Blues, and it's a great keyboard to use. I work in an open office, but it's not too loud and noticeable to me. But I find I don't bottom out my keys, so maybe why my typing seems quieter. My coworker had to borrow my keyboard for a reason, and I noticed his typing was much louder and I'm wondering if he tends to bottom now on his typing.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=MasterKeys+S

The Tenkeyless are about $10 cheaper than the fullsize version.
The RGB version is around $130, the PBT keycap version is around $80.

mike6467

CM Master Keys S, which is the TenKeyless version. Backlighting versions comes with ABS keycap and are either White Backlighting or RGB.

Non backlighting version comes with PBT keycaps with pad printing, I use the Master Keys L version right now with Blues, and it's a great keyboard to use. I work in an open office, but it's not too loud and noticeable to me. But I find I don't bottom out my keys, so maybe why my typing seems quieter. My coworker had to borrow my keyboard for a reason, and I noticed his typing was much louder and I'm wondering if he tends to bottom now on his typing.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=MasterKeys+S

The Tenkeyless are about $10 cheaper than the fullsize version.
The RGB version is around $130, the PBT keycap version is around $80.

Awesome, this was the exact model I was looking at, so I think that's the way I'll go. Thanks for the help!

Septimius

Just got my CM Masterkeys L PBT. A bit self conscious about the noise in the office environment I'm sitting in, but the keyboard feels absolutely amazing. Just gotta learn to be light on the keys :D

EDIT: Oh man, it's just really fun to actually have a good mechanical keyboard again. It just makes typing such a joy

So the E key on my CM Mechanical keyboard is crapping out. With a bit of soldering I should be able to swap the E key with a key I never use, like Screen Lock for example, right? Just desolder the thingies from the PCB-thingy and swap the thingies and solder them back on?

Septimius

So the E key on my CM Mechanical keyboard is crapping out. With a bit of soldering I should be able to swap the E key with a key I never use, like Screen Lock for example, right? Just desolder the thingies from the PCB-thingy and swap the thingies and solder them back on?

Outside warranty?

If you're considering soldering, I'm assuming you have the gear to do more than that. Check if you can find the issue. Measure the resistance over a key that works and over this and make sure there's an issue with the switch itself. There are youtube videos, so if you know what you're doing, you could switch out the confirmed broken switch with a switch you feel you won't use.

Outside warranty?

If you're considering soldering, I'm assuming you have the gear to do more than that. Check if you can find the issue. Measure the resistance over a key that works and over this and make sure there's an issue with the switch itself. There are youtube videos, so if you know what you're doing, you could switch out the confirmed broken switch with a switch you feel you won't use.

I'll blast the key with some compressed air first, maybe there's some gunk in it. I don't know what it is. Right now the E key seems to be fine, it's just that after I haven't typed for a while it won't register unless I press it really hard. It will be fine afterwards until I give my keyboard some rest again.

Soldering is pretty much the worst case scenario. But if it came to that, whether it's a lead that's broken or the key itself is dead, I just wanted to be sure if switching would work. I will check out some videos on youtube, shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks.

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard to be used in a shared officespace (or rather a type of switch that would be suitable for such an environment). I need something a bit quiet, but with a good feel. I use a board with mx blues at home, which I'm very happy with. How does mx silents compare? Would mx browns with o-rings do the trick, and how does that compare to blues?

Any suggestions welcome.

Orayn

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard to be used in a shared officespace (or rather a type of switch that would be suitable for such an environment). I need something a bit quiet, but with a good feel. I use a board with mx blues at home, which I'm very happy with. How does mx silents compare?

Any suggestions welcome.

• One step below MX Blues would just be switching to Browns, Reds, Blacks, or any other MX switch that doesn't have an internal clicker/jumping bean mechanism. They'll still make noise when they bottom out, though the exact amount depends on the keycaps, plate, overall construction, etc.
  • You can make that even quieter by adding o-rings or soft landing pads. Those are going to make the downstroke feel softer and shorten travel distance, but they dampen the sound some.
  • MX Silent switches have an internal soft landing pad that also dampens sound on the upstroke. I suppose the quietest combination would theoretically be MX Silents with external o-rings/dampeners as well.
  • Topre switches fit somewhere in the middle of all this. Definitely a softer sound since they really are rubber domes, but still louder than a typical modern membrane board.
I'd recommend looking up videos on YouTube of people typing with each of these different permutations to get a better feel for each one.

Just replaced my Cherry MX Reds with Kailh Box Heavy Pale Blues. These are definitely high quality. Setting aside the obvious stark difference in switch feel from the Reds (much heavier spring, click bar adds some tactility, though it's still a fairly linear feeling switch), the Pale Blues still feel like an overall better constructed switch than my old Reds. Kailh's stepped into the upper echelon of switch manufacturers with their Box switches, for sure.

shockdude

I'm looking to get some O-rings to address finger fatigue when bottoming out the keys and to reduce key "rebound" time, both of which are critical for shmups. I have a Logitech G610 with Cherry Red switches.
What size and brand of O-rings should I get?
Also do I need to consider anything when buying a key-puller or can I just get any random one?

edit: turns out you can pull keys using twist ties lol

masterkajo

Ok, got myself a Vortex Pok3r white with MX Cherry Clear switches and love how it feels.

I have one question though, under my right half of the space bar is a blue light constantly on. I tried switching layers (to default with FN+M as well as the other layers which show additional light on the left of the space bar) as well as reseting. When I enter programming mode the right light gets brighter. In the manual it says that the right light should light up when entering programming mode.

My question, could it be that the light is defect in the sense that it is always on? I couldn't turn it off and it is quite distracting. Any advice?

EDIT: I solved it. The problem was that the LED soldering point was too big and was touching the aluminium case and therefore current could flow. I did use an electric tape to seal it shut and now it is working perfectly.

• One step below MX Blues would just be switching to Browns, Reds, Blacks, or any other MX switch that doesn't have an internal clicker/jumping bean mechanism. They'll still make noise when they bottom out, though the exact amount depends on the keycaps, plate, overall construction, etc.
  • You can make that even quieter by adding o-rings or soft landing pads. Those are going to make the downstroke feel softer and shorten travel distance, but they dampen the sound some.
  • MX Silent switches have an internal soft landing pad that also dampens sound on the upstroke. I suppose the quietest combination would theoretically be MX Silents with external o-rings/dampeners as well.
  • Topre switches fit somewhere in the middle of all this. Definitely a softer sound since they really are rubber domes, but still louder than a typical modern membrane board.
I'd recommend looking up videos on YouTube of people typing with each of these different permutations to get a better feel for each one.
Thanks. Do you have any experience with browns? Are they quiet enough to be used in a shared space, or should i get some o-rings?

kami_sama

Thanks. Do you have any experience with browns? Are they quiet enough to be used in a shared space, or should i get some o-rings?

If you don't mind paying a little more I'd recommend getting some qmx clips, not now though. They don't work with plates, so most keyboards don't work, but they will release some that work with them, and it's much, much better than using o-rings.
Also, browns and reds are much quieter than blues, not membrane-like, but a definite improvement.
I'd say go for it, and if it's too much, get some o-rings. Normally they come with the keyboard itself, so you probably won't even have to buy them.

If you don't mind paying a little more I'd recommend getting some qmx clips, not now though. They don't work with plates, so most keyboards don't work, but they will release some that work with them, and it's much, much better than using o-rings.
Also, browns and reds are much quieter than blues, not membrane-like, but a definite improvement.
I'd say go for it, and if it's too much, get some o-rings. Normally they come with the keyboard itself, so you probably won't even have to buy them.
Thanks for mentioning the QMX clips - that seems like a good option. Am I correct that the Poker 3 is PCB mounted? Thats the one I have currently. I'm rather limited in my buying options as it has to be a 100%, Nordic ISO.

Edit: No the Poker 3 is plate mounted.

thuway

Just replaced my Cherry MX Reds with Kailh Box Heavy Pale Blues. These are definitely high quality. Setting aside the obvious stark difference in switch feel from the Reds (much heavier spring, click bar adds some tactility, though it's still a fairly linear feeling switch), the Pale Blues still feel like an overall better constructed switch than my old Reds. Kailh's stepped into the upper echelon of switch manufacturers with their Box switches, for sure.
Yeap. Wait till you transplant a Kail Switch into a Panda Housing.

Oh and if your brave *A Halo switch into a a panda housing.

Prepare to never look back.

Aerocrane

Thanks for mentioning the QMX clips - that seems like a good option. Am I correct that the Poker 3 is PCB mounted? Thats the one I have currently. I'm rather limited in my buying options as it has to be a 100%, Nordic ISO.

Edit: No the Poker 3 is plate mounted.

The plate mounted version should be available through GMK directly soon. Right now they are busy fulfilling a Massdrop group buy and a German group buy for the plate-mount compatible QMX clips.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I should be getting my plate QMX clips from Massdrop this week. They were supposed to be delivered today but FedEx Smartpost is terrible and they were delayed to Friday.

The plate mounted version should be available through GMK directly soon. Right now they are busy fulfilling a Massdrop group buy and a German group buy for the plate-mount compatible QMX clips.
Thanks.

I'm thinking about just splurging on a Topre Realforce 105U. Topre Switches is fairly silent, yes? It is expensive though, and I can't seem to find any with Swedish ISO in beige/white, which I would prefer. I guess I could just get the UK ISO and remember what keys are different, very little is different, and most is in the muscle memory anyway. I guess it would be easier to sell, if it somehow turns out I don't like it.

Have anyone come from MX blues, and loved them, finding out they prefer Topre?

I should be getting my plate QMX clips from Massdrop this week. They were supposed to be delivered today but FedEx Smartpost is terrible and they were delayed to Friday.
Looking forward to hearing some impressions!

kami_sama

Thanks.

I'm thinking about just splurging on a Topre Realforce 105U. Topre Switches is fairly silent, yes? It is expensive though, and I can't seem to find any with Swedish ISO in beige/white, which I would prefer. I guess I could just get the UK ISO and remember what keys are different, very little is different, and most is in the muscle memory anyway. I guess it would be easier to sell, if it somehow turns out I don't like it.

I prefer topre, but forget about custom sets and a lot of money.
It is good, but I don't think it's 210 pounds good http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/swedish-finnish-topre-realforce-105ub-gold-on-black-keyboard.asp

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

I don't bottom out too often with my clears, so the nosiest part is usually the upstroke. These should dampen that some, and when I put them on I'll finally also put on my PBT keycaps which will probably also change the sound of the keyboard. The ones that came on it are some thin, cheap ABS.

Edit: they came today. Between the new keycaps and the clips it feels like a whole different keyboard. Changing out the keys with stabilizers was a big pain but otherwise easy. Clips take a bit of force to snap on but aren't difficult.

Instructions could be more clear for a newbie. The "closed" side of the clip faces the front of the keyboard, and the keycap remover part of the tool should face the left.

The keyboard is a bit quieter, but the sound profile is so different it's hard to know exactly how much quieter. Backspace is the exception, it's super loud and I'll need to mess with it more. Keycap if probably on wrong.

I decided against the Topre in the end. The 88U (the iso-version of the 87U) dont have the numlock function, any of the LEDs, or the dip-switches), and that was just too much. When paying 210£ for something I expect the standard features to be included.

I thought about getting a Filco Majetouch 2, but Ive heard bad things about that one. I ended up getting a CM Masterkeys Pro L, with white LEDs and MX browns. Heres hoping I can find some PBTs in ISO as the keys are ABS, and of course I'll be getting the QMX clips when they become available.

Aerocrane

I decided against the Topre in the end. The 88U (the iso-version of the 87U) dont have the numlock function, any of the LEDs, or the dip-switches), and that was just too much. When paying 210£ for something I expect the standard features to be included.

I thought about getting a Filco Majetouch 2, but Ive heard bad things about that one. I ended up getting a CM Masterkeys Pro L, with white LEDs and MX browns. Heres hoping I can find some PBTs in ISO as the keys are ABS, and of course I'll be getting the QMX clips when they become available.

The plate mounted QMX Clips are now available in GMK's store: https://uniqey.net/en/accessories/18/qmx-clips-for-plate-mount-110-pcs.?c=11 I am not sure how well they will work with the CM Masterkeys though, as it has upside down mounted switches for better backlighting.

For nice PBT keycaps, you could get some Varmilo keycaps. If you are in the UK, capsunlocked sells them. Another European vendor for Varmilo products is CandyKeys

The plate mounted QMX Clips are now available in GMK's store: https://uniqey.net/en/accessories/18/qmx-clips-for-plate-mount-110-pcs.?c=11 I am not sure how well they will work with the CM Masterkeys though, as it has upside down mounted switches for better backlighting.

For nice PBT keycaps, you could get some Varmilo keycaps. If you are in the UK, capsunlocked sells them. Another European vendor for Varmilo products is CandyKeys
Great, perfect timing! And thanks for the links to custom keycaps - I'm sure I'll order some eventually!

I ended up canceling my order for the CM Masterkeys Pro. I found out Mykeyboard.eu had a Vortex G104 ISO for just a 109€, which includes PBT keycaps. Overall I like the design better and I'm used to a Pok3r at home, so I'm theres a good chance I'll like the G104 as well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think there is something wrong with my Corsair K65.

the space + E buttons seem to weird out now and then. it's like i'm pressing it but it wont register. at first i thought maybe it was just me but it keeps happening. i've never had any issues with a keyboard and the one time i decide to spend a bit more money on one it has an issue lol.

i think i might look into a new keyboard. i've always regretted not getting one with backlit keys anyway.

shockdude

I'm looking to get some O-rings to address finger fatigue when bottoming out the keys and to reduce key "rebound" time, both of which are critical for shmups. I have a Logitech G610 with Cherry Red switches.
What size and brand of O-rings should I get?
Also do I need to consider anything when buying a key-puller or can I just get any random one?

edit: turns out you can pull keys using twist ties lol
I ended up buying these 40A-R O-Rings from WASD Keyboards. I'm glad I didn't get larger rings, as they barely fit some of the keys.
These O-Rings are excellent. Quieter typing, smaller actuated range, less impact on the fingers, easier to tap and mash.

Duxxy3

Gateron black... oh man, these are good. I used black switches on another keyboard and the blacks weren't smooth at all. These are incredible. Up to this point I've been a brown key kind of guy, but these gateron blacks... damn.

thuway

Gateron black... oh man, these are good. I used black switches on another keyboard and the blacks weren't smooth at all. These are incredible. Up to this point I've been a brown key kind of guy, but these gateron blacks... damn.
Wait till you try the new Kailh linears. :)

Any good ergonomic mechanical keyboards? Preferably under $150?

Under $150? uhhhhhhhhh

I think there's a few "keyboard literally cut in half" options for that, but usually ergonomic and mechanical together are niche enough to make prices a bit prohibitive.

But, if we get rid of the $150 qualifier, there's the Ergodox EZ, which goes as low as $240 if you want to supply your own keycaps, though they aren't exactly standard keys.

Under $150? uhhhhhhhhh

I think there's a few "keyboard literally cut in half" options for that, but usually ergonomic and mechanical together are niche enough to make prices a bit prohibitive.

But, if we get rid of the $150 qualifier, there's the Ergodox EZ, which goes as low as $240 if you want to supply your own keycaps, though they aren't exactly standard keys.
I'm check that out. Any other options? Under $250 or $300?

Top Bottom