• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Built my own board for the first time, learned a lot for next time.
said:
zHlp8pn.jpg

5VcA4CS.jpg
Mechkeysca acr60 kit
Gateron blues

Orayn

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Saber68 for work. Programmable, great stock keycaps, available with Mod-M switches, one of the better 6X% layouts, pretty reasonable price... Anyone else in this thread have one?

I got my D20 from Monoprice today and just hooked it up (kinda impressed I got it in one day since it was free shipping). I'm kinda in love! I can see why people love mechanical keyboards.

Tripon

I got my D20 from Monoprice today and just hooked it up (kinda impressed I got it in one day since it was free shipping). I'm kinda in love! I can see why people love mechanical keyboards.

Yeah, this is my current home keyboard with blue switches. I put on some white PBT keycaps, and feels great to type on. Only thing wrong with it now is that one of the Stabilizer Insert broke for the space bar, so I finally ordered some replacements that came in the other day.

Companies just need to use Cherry stabilizers instead of wire stabilizers.

Aerocrane

I love my ducky shine 3 very dearly but....

....now that I've been spoiled by the logitech g900 and it's it's super awesome 3366 sensor which made a wireless mouse a completely viable option for competitive gaming; I need to have a wireless mechanical keyboard with brown switches in my life.

Is this even a thing? A good mechanical keyboard gaming that can be wireless?

I want that chord off my desk.

Take a look at Filco Majestouch Convertible and Varmilo VB87.

I'm really regretting having experienced what mechanical feels like thanks to a cheapo. Membranes feel disgusting now, but price is what is keeping from buying one. I need to be pretty sure of what I want before breaking the piggy bank.

The issue I had was that most decent yet affordable ones only seemed to come in the US ansi layout, but after some time learning to code it feels like that layout would actually be better for it due to symbol placement and not needing the "ñ" key.

Right now Ducky is the first brand I would look for, although I am a divided between tenkeyless and 75%. I like 75% more, but I'm not sure if I can get used to that, while the switch to tenkeyless would feel less radical.

Samaritan

I'm a Logitech G910 user, but I wanted to try out some Cherry switches since my only personal experience with mechanical keyboards has been with Romer-G switches. So I bought one of those mechanical switch "samplers" and immediately fell in love with the MX Blue switches. Now I'm in a weird place, where I've got this very expensive keyboard that I like quite a lot, but I want something with MX Blues too.

So I'm thinking of getting a supplementary keyboard with Blues in it, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I won't be needing tons of bells and whistles, since this'll just be for the typing experience. Can someone offer some recommendations? Thanks~

Renekton

I'm a Logitech G910 user, but I wanted to try out some Cherry switches since my only personal experience with mechanical keyboards has been with Romer-G switches. So I bought one of those mechanical switch "samplers" and immediately fell in love with the MX Blue switches. Now I'm in a weird place, where I've got this very expensive keyboard that I like quite a lot, but I want something with MX Blues too.

So I'm thinking of getting a supplementary keyboard with Blues in it, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I won't be needing tons of bells and whistles, since this'll just be for the typing experience. Can someone offer some recommendations? Thanks~
Maybe a Cherry Board or a Ducky One. Or scout monoprice for budget boards.

I'm really regretting having experienced what mechanical feels like thanks to a cheapo. Membranes feel disgusting now, but price is what is keeping from buying one. I need to be pretty sure of what I want before breaking the piggy bank.

The issue I had was that most decent yet affordable ones only seemed to come in the US ansi layout, but after some time learning to code it feels like that layout would actually be better for it due to symbol placement and not needing the "ñ" key.

Right now Ducky is the first brand I would look for, although I am a divided between tenkeyless and 75%. I like 75% more, but I'm not sure if I can get used to that, while the switch to tenkeyless would feel less radical.

Whatever you do, don't order the parts to make an Ergodox.

You'll find yourself wanting to do it a second time so you don't have to bring it back and forth with you to work.

Tripon

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12519 (Blue)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12515 (Brown)
Monoprice D20 with blue and brown switches are on sale for $45. I hate the initial keycaps with the gamer font, (stock images have a different set of keycaps with normal font) it ships with, so I suggest picking up a different set of keycaps if it bother you too. But paying $45 for Cherry MX switches with RGB leds is pretty much on the lowest price you can go with that combo.

Getting a keyboard with Gateron blues is also good, but in my experience they're harder to bottom down compared to Cherry MX Blues, and louder to boot. It felt great typing on it though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXVUDEA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Nixeus Mechanical Moda Pro is $62 with Blues at the moment. The stock image show Kailh blues, but Nixeus switched to Gateron a while back and my version has the Gateron blues.

Samaritan

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12519 (Blue)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12515 (Brown)
Monoprice D20 with blue and brown switches are on sale for $45. I hate the initial keycaps with the gamer font, (stock images have a different set of keycaps with normal font) it ships with, so I suggest picking up a different set of keycaps if it bother you too. But paying $45 for Cherry MX switches with RGB leds is pretty much on the lowest price you can go with that combo.

Getting a keyboard with Gateron blues is also good, but in my experience they're harder to bottom down compared to Cherry MX Blues, and louder to boot. It felt great typing on it though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXVUDEA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Nixeus Mechanical Moda Pro is $62 with Blues at the moment. The stock image show Kailh blues, but Nixeus switched to Gateron a while back and my version has the Gateron blues.

It's a shame the Monoprice keyboard is extremely gamer-y in general. It's something I greatly dislike about my own G910. That said, I appreciate all of the recommendations! I wasn't even aware that Monoprice had their own line of budget keyboards.

Koren

Whatever you do, don't order the parts to make an Ergodox.

You'll find yourself wanting to do it a second time so you don't have to bring it back and forth with you to work.
I don't see the issue with this :D

Also, for people that don't want to go the DIY/custom route, Ergodox EZ is a really good option to have a commercial-looking ergodox (with plently of switch choices)

dralla

I picked up my first two mechanical keyboards this week and I have some questions/impressions. I work on a computer all day and figured I'd make the switch.

Orginally I bought this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0XQI2A/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I saw it on slickdeals and managed to pick it up relatively cheap. It looks similar to all the others in the same price range. I immediately loved it. The keys are very easy to push and give a nice, loud sound and a satisfying click. It almost sounds like a typewriter.

A few days later I saw another keyboard on slickdeals. This one with Cherry MX Blue switches. It was a seemingly amazing deal I picked up two of them. Each one only cost $38 ($115 is the usual price). The keyboard - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDRT0AU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

While the MP D20 is better built and has a lot more features, the keys are much more resistant and difficult to push down. I kinda figured going from "generic" branded Cherry imitator switches to genuine Cherry switches, it would be the opposite. The D20 feels closer to a membrane keyboard to me compared to the Aukey. Is this generally how Cherry blue's feel? I know the other Cherry switches are supposed to be easier to push but these aren't quite as smooth as I was expecting.

A follow up to this. I've been using the Cherry MX Blue keyboard at work and after a few days I realized it's not for me. The keys are too difficult to push and my hands become a bit fatigued. Luckily, my co-worker ordered the same Monoprice keyboard as me, except he got brown switches. He exchanged my unopened blue for his brown and this is much better for me. It's much easier to press and I can go back to my touch typing style, I never really bottom out. The downside is the tactile feedback is pretty weak and the grittiness of the switch is still there (but not quite as bad). After doing some research I think Gateron Browns would be my kind of switch. Sounds like they're smoother then the Cherry Browns and have a more tactile bump to them. I'll probably end up selling the Cherry MX Blue keyboard and get a decent amount for it as it is practically brand new and I'll keep my eye out on good deals for a high quality Gateron Brown keyboard. Not a huge fan of the look of the Qisan Magiforce boards, which seem to be pretty popular, but maybe something like this - https://www.pcgamingrace.com/produc...ll-size-104-key-gateron-cherry-kailh-switches

ps. I'm still loving the Outemu Blue switches. The smoothness of them and the feedback they give are great. They're way too loud for the office though, noticeably louder than the Cherry Blues.

Zackat

I got a $70 gift card on Amazon and I am lookin for a keyboard that is a little more quiet (and nicer) than this one I have with blue switches. It could be $70, and I would consider something more expensive, but I need to be able to purchase it on Amazon. What's my best option?

zewone

I got a $70 gift card on Amazon and I am lookin for a keyboard that is a little more quiet (and nicer) than this one I have with blue switches. It could be $70, and I would consider something more expensive, but I need to be able to purchase it on Amazon. What's my best option?

I'd recommend a brown switch for something with a similar feel to blue without the clickyness or sound.

Easy recommendations would be:

Anne Pro (60%) $90:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW33N5R/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vortex Race 3 (75%) $140:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J5WTT6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought the Anne Pro recently for my HTPC and love it. I am digging the browns, good mix of feel but not crazy loud.

Got a set of Tai-Hao Hawaii keycaps to go with it. It's so 80s I like to think of it as my Ono Sendai deck. A Hosaka computer.

kami_sama

For blues I really prefer the clones to Cherry.

Really, the only good cherry switches are linears, end even then, the new kaihl box are better than the stock cherry switches.
For everything else there are much better alternatives (from zeal there's zealios for tactile, kaihl box whites for clicky)

dralla

Really, the only good cherry switches are linears, end even then, the new kaihl box are better than the stock cherry switches.
For everything else there are much better alternatives (from zeal there's zealios for tactile, kaihl box whites for clicky)

I don't think I'll be buying Cherry switches ever again. I've been using the Cherry Browns a bit more and they're pretty solid but I know I'd prefer other brands. Apparently Cherry's do get smoother over time but I want something that feels great out of the box without having to "break them in". I just wish there were more options for non-Cherry switch keyboards. I need a keyboard with all 108 keys which surprisingly limits my options.

kami_sama

I don't think I'll be buying Cherry switches ever again. I've been using the Cherry Browns a bit more and they're pretty solid but I know I'd prefer other brands. Apparently Cherry's do get smoother over time but I want something that feels great out of the box without having to "break them in". I just wish there were more options for non-Cherry switch keyboards. I need a keyboard with all 108 keys which surprisingly limits my options.

Only cherry switches worth buying right now are silents. Because they're patented and they won't be available from anyone else for a long time.
Also, they're from the retooled batch, and supposedly, a lot smoother than before.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I heard the retooled Cherry switches are nice, especially linears.

But knowing whether you're getting retooled or old stock is hard to tell unless you buy a recent model board like the Shine 6 or recent POK3R RGB restocks.

leng jai

Just got the MF87. This thing is heavy AF. Is it just me or are the RGB settings mega obtuse? I'm looking at the manual and I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Got into mechanical keyboards through a friend at the office. He showed me the light. We are both software engineers, so a good keyboard is key according to him. I got the Poker 3 with brown keycaps, loving it.

MqDzRhC.jpg

LiquidSteak

Neo Member
Just got the MF87. This thing is heavy AF. Is it just me or are the RGB settings mega obtuse? I'm looking at the manual and I still have no idea what I'm doing.

I picked up the F87 with reds (my first mechanical keyboard) last week and it took a good while to figure out how to get my RGB settings the way I liked them. I honestly wouldn't be able to do it again off the top of my head if it got reset.

Looked it up and the MF87 is 2kg which is about double mine, that must feel incredibly solid!

I already have two mechanical keyboards - both Duckys, one blue and one brown - and I like them a lot. I can see how people get into collecting these things.

I'd been wanting to try a new switch type for a very long time, and I wanted to create a custom WASD keyboard, but I kept on talking myself out of it because I told myself it's so unnecessary to have another.

Fortunately, I finally talked myself into splurging and I got a WASD V2 with custom keycaps and green switches. These things are loud, but they feel so good. I'm not sure which feel the best, though - I like the feel of all three of them.These, unsurprisingly, are much stiffer than the blues. Maybe next I'll get some sort of linear switches to see what that's like.

I have next to no skill with any sort of graphics software, but getting what I wanted out of Inkscape was surprisingly easy once I started poking around at it. Here's a picture of it:

bIMeby3h.jpg

If anyone is thinking about creating their own keycaps, I'd encourage you to go for it. It's awesome to be able to get exactly what you want.

I already have two mechanical keyboards - both Duckys, one blue and one brown - and I like them a lot. I can see how people get into collecting these things.

I'd been wanting to try a new switch type for a very long time, and I wanted to create a custom WASD keyboard, but I kept on talking myself out of it because I told myself it's so unnecessary to have another.

Fortunately, I finally talked myself into splurging and I got a WASD V2 with custom keycaps and green switches. These things are loud, but they feel so good. I'm not sure which feel the best, though - I like the feel of all three of them.These, unsurprisingly, are much stiffer than the blues. Maybe next I'll get some sort of linear switches to see what that's like.

I have next to no skill with any sort of graphics software, but getting what I wanted out of Inkscape was surprisingly easy once I started poking around at it. Here's a picture of it:

bIMeby3h.jpg

If anyone is thinking about creating their own keycaps, I'd encourage you to go for it. It's awesome to be able to get exactly what you want.

If WASD keyboards would support Ergodox layouts and have DSA keycaps, I'd totally get a set. It looks like they do PBT now, which is awesome.

ChrisV

You can use any keyboard with your laptop. I wouldn't pay $120 for a keyboard that doesn't mention what the switches are though. All the info page says it has brown switches.

Yea I know I can use anything. Just figured I would keep the brand the same, but I'm really leaning towards the Corsair K70 Lux RGB. Don't know if I have a need for the Rapidfire.

Tripon

Yea I know I can use anything. Just figured I would keep the brand the same, but I'm really leaning towards the Corsair K70 Lux RGB. Don't know if I have a need for the Rapidfire.

Just get something with a silver case?

If you don't know what switches you like, order a switch tester first. They're $15-25 depending on how many switches you get with the kit. They make good time wasters like fidget spinners too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=aps&field-keywords=mechanical+switch+tester

Aerocrane

Go to an electronics retailer and try out some mechanical keyboards there so you can figure out what switch type you like. At least the big gaming brands should be well represented. You get a better idea of what a switch is like by using a full keyboard instead of a switch tester.

The Alienware AW768 comes with Kailh Brown switches.

leng jai

How much is the Filco in the US? Here it's $50 more than the Ikbc MF87 and that is made of aluminium, has RGB lighting and PBT double shot caps. The Filco has none of that.

ChrisV

Just get something with a silver case?

If you don't know what switches you like, order a switch tester first. They're $15-25 depending on how many switches you get with the kit. They make good time wasters like fidget spinners too.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=aps&field-keywords=mechanical+switch+tester

Ended up going to Best Buy today and fiddling around. Did some thinking and ended up ordering the K70 RGB Rapidfire (I fell in love with it really quickly) and a M65 Pro RGB mouse. I haven't played a game with KB/M in probably about 15 years, if not more. Can't wait to start over again! Hopefully it's like riding a bike. Haha

Guy.brush

What are my options when I want a mechanical keyboard that has

• frameless design, minimal bezel
  • doubleshot PBT keycaps
  • steel/aluminum plate
  • Cherry MX brown/red/blue
I currently have a Steelseries G6V2 and it is built like a tank. Don't want something flimsier.
Had the chance to try out typing on a Corsair K70 RGB LUX and it didn't feel right to me. Caps felt a bit cheap.
Looking at the
  • Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L RGB
  • SteelSeries M500 (successor to what I have)
  • Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS
Any other quality built ones with minimal gamer design BS? Would really love something with a metal surface and quality keycaps

I'm really digging my Corsair Strafe RGB with Browns after about 2 years. I put O-rings on it as well and I love the way it feels and minimal noise it generates.

Aurongel

What are my options when I want a mechanical keyboard that has

• frameless design, minimal bezel
  • doubleshot PBT keycaps
  • steel/aluminum plate
  • Cherry MX brown/red/blue
I currently have a Steelseries G6V2 and it is built like a tank. Don't want something flimsier.
Had the chance to try out typing on a Corsair K70 RGB LUX and it didn't feel right to me. Caps felt a bit cheap.
Looking at the
  • Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L RGB
  • SteelSeries M500 (successor to what I have)
  • Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS
Any other quality built ones with minimal gamer design BS? Would really love something with a metal surface and quality keycaps
Insta-Post-1k.png

The Vortex Race 3 has THE best keycaps I've ever used, slick, smooth and super thick. It's the best typing feel of any board I've used which is good because it's non-standard layout makes it almost impossible to swap keycaps.

Guy.brush

Insta-Post-1k.png

The Vortex Race 3 has THE best keycaps I've ever used, slick, smooth and super thick. It's the best typing feel of any board I've used which is good because it's non-standard layout makes it almost impossible to swap keycaps.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really wanna go with a 75% keyboard like that, need my numpad for numerical input in DCCs.

Seems like the Kingston Hyperalloy FPS or the Coolermaster Masterkeys L is the way to go for me.
Steelseries Apex M500 also looks nice, but that blue backplate is a bit meh.

kami_sama

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really wanna go with a 75% keyboard like that, need my numpad for numerical input in DCCs.

Seems like the Kingston Hyperalloy FPS or the Coolermaster Masterkeys L is the way to go for me.
Buy a separate numpad. I'm not joking.

Koren

Buy a separate numpad. I'm not joking.
Just to say that, while that sounds strange, I also believe it's a good solution, if you find a TKL or smaller keyboard with a layout you like.

(Or if you go the ortholinear / ergonomic road, using a numpad layer really isn't bad)

Tripon

Insta-Post-1k.png

The Vortex Race 3 is super sexy. I have the New Poker II, and I carry it wherever I go. But having something with dedicated arrow keys seems really cool. I want it to have a USB C connection. It's just really convenient to unplug my keyboard if I need another USB C cable for my phone or vice versa. Also, not the biggest fan of micro USB and it's ability to not hold its rigidity.

I went from owning a k70 with cherry MX reds and red LED, to a newer k70 lux rgb again with reds. I love reds, having tried blues and browns elsewhere. However I saw a barely used Logitech g810 on eBay for $50 and grabbed it mostly out of curiosity.

I am actually really impressed with the g810. The lighting is gorgeous, I like the minimalist design, and.... I actually like the romer g switches. I didn't think I would at all, but I do. They are pretty satisfying to type on, and they are fairly quite. I think they are really good for gaming too, to my surprise. Didn't think anything could touch my reds.

I use an Fn layer, if you will, on my Ergodox, and because the keys are vertically aligned I can barely tell -- in fact I prefer it as I can keep my hands on the board and still be able to type numbers. Actually comes in real handy when typing in Mac addresses at my job haha!

Aurongel

Might I also nominate the Red Scarf III:

TB1kuj1GpXXXXcoaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

I've always been a fan of the condensed design only because regular keyboard layouts for right handed users are an ergonomics disaster. But I respect those who like the numpad for data entry or macros.

Might I also nominate the Red Scarf III:

TB1kuj1GpXXXXcoaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

I've always been a fan of the condensed design only because regular keyboard layouts for right handed users are an ergonomics disaster. But I respect those who like the numpad for data entry or macros.

Yeah that looks great for a numpad fiend like me.

Top Bottom