• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Man. I don't remember the last time I was able to spend 3-4 hours in a training mode and have enjoyed my time.

Still struggling a bit on the Captain Marvel air loops with the LP --> HP --> dash.

Not something I've ever done successfully in a fighting game, but I've been pretty consistent with it tonight.

Enjoying Captain Marvel + Captain America. Mostly because I can get in pretty comfortably with either. Still working on understanding when it's ideal to swap.

And all the music is terrible, btw. That's okay; I don't play fighting games for their epic OST's outside of Street Fighter 2 CE.

Watching SoCal Regionals and I'm really want to give this game a try.
But witch version I should get PC or PS4?

PC version has the possibility of mods but the game's population is already looking shaky. I'm not having too many problems finding matches but some guy at rank 10 said that it was almost impossible, although he lives in Sweden where the scene is probably smaller. That being said I feel like player retention in this game will be decently high since people seem to be liking it a lot, and assuming the competitive scene ends up not getting stale I imagine a lot of people that stayed away from the game due to all the issues it has will come around and might end up picking it up later.

There's no clear better version so it's really just preference.

bubumiao

PC version has the possibility of mods but the game's population is already looking shaky. I'm not having too many problems finding matches but some guy at rank 10 said that it was almost impossible, although he lives in Sweden where the scene is probably smaller. That being said I feel like player retention in this game will be decently high since people seem to be liking it a lot, and assuming the competitive scene ends up not getting stale I imagine a lot of people that stayed away from the game due to all the issues it has will come around and might end up picking it up later.

There's no clear better version so it's really just preference.

I think what you're trying to say is, PS4.

Also, last night I saw Max fighting a team made up of Dante, Dante. So fuck the PC version in my opinion.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Day 2 thoughts with the game

1 - finding online matches in some instances just ain't happening (PS4). When I find one, it's freaking flawless

training mode -> fight request on

you're welcome

Has anyone found anything particularly interesting or strong with Cap? He's the only character I'm fully invested in playing atm, but he seems markedly weaker than he was in UMvC3. His air shield slashes carrying his jump momentum make it a lot harder to control air space with him, and without assists backflip mixups (and his mixup game in general) seem really weak. You can get a left/right off of his new H trick shield, but it requires them to stay still which is a rare thing to find in Marvel. His parry is nice but has a ton of recovery, and trick shield has too much start-up for me to feel comfortable using. I'm just having trouble seeing what I should be abusing because his space control is worse than it used to be and his mixup game seems lackluster. I've tried pairing him with Gamora but their synergy seems really week, with her not having any projectiles slow enough for him to backflip into off of tag, and she can't really convert off of charging star or his DP well either.

Not trying to rant so my bad if it comes off that way, I'm just curious if anybody has found something that's working well with him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I seriously cant connect Thor's tornado to anything, wtf is going on? even a simple magic series into air super doesnt connect? Like I cant find something that has enough hit stun in the air for the Tornado's long ass wind up. Help pls?

edit: hmm can get it off mighty strike (his dash forward in the air thing)

When are the other characters getting costume DLC? Didn't everyone have a battle outfit available at launch? Hope soon. Just want a classic Jedah costume.

Rhaknar

what are the rules with combos after a OTG? I know you can get a wall bounce, a ground bounce and a OTG, but it seems that everytime I pull them back up after a OTG my combos keep dropping for no reason.

I totally understand the appeal of training for the first time tho. Dunno if its just the nature of this game's combo structure in particulr, but everytime you accidentaly find something out and go "oh that combos? oooooh" its a great feeling lol

sinkfla87

Just got this. Why does repeatedly pressing square combos? Are easy controls enabled by default?

Yeah, auto combos can be turned off in the controller options menu.

Can someone give me a rundown of the combo pattern again? Aerial, OTG, Wall bounce etc?

Edit: Btw, check your PMs GotchaForce!

It's wayyyy too early to call anything a "problem". They should let this game rock until the end of the year at least before patching anything that's not an obvious bug.

"I'm pretty much the boss of space!" This game has some good lines. Hulk saying "ugly thing!" When hulk tags in nemesis.

NEO0MJ

what are the rules with combos after a OTG? I know you can get a wall bounce, a ground bounce and a OTG, but it seems that everytime I pull them back up after a OTG my combos keep dropping for no reason.

I totally understand the appeal of training for the first time tho. Dunno if its just the nature of this game's combo structure in particulr, but everytime you accidentaly find something out and go "oh that combos? oooooh" its a great feeling lol

If I'm not mistaken hit stun in the following attacks is reduced after using those so you have to be careful with which moves to follow up with and when to press them. For example if I try to combo an opponent after a magic series I go Launcher>LK>HP>HK with usually enough stun so I can take comfortably time my hits but if I try to combo after using Nemesis's command grab I have to quickly go Launcher>HP>HK or they'll drop out of the combo.

Faster characters can deal with this better but even with those there are limits.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I seriously cant connect Thor's tornado to anything, wtf is going on? even a simple magic series into air super doesnt connect? Like I cant find something that has enough hit stun in the air for the Tornado's long ass wind up. Help pls?

edit: hmm can get it off mighty strike (his dash forward in the air thing)

Jumping Hp cancel into Hk air mighty strike lp,lk,hp,launch, jhp, air hp lightning, air hp lightning (both done off same super jump after launcher no need to re jump or air dash unless you want to loop hp and lightning) land lk mighty smash cancel into mighty tornado. They wall bounce right into it.

I'm still trying to figure out wtf to do with hk mighty smash the range is godlike but the startup is absolute shit. I think it's armored though.

Rhaknar

Jumping Hp cancel into Hk air mighty strike lp,lk,hp,launch, jhp, air hp lightning, air hp lightning (both done off same super jump after launcher no need to re jump or air dash unless you want to loop hp and lightning) land lk mighty smash cancel into mighty tornado. They wall bounce right into it.

I'm still trying to figure out wtf to do with hk mighty smash the range is godlike but the startup is absolute shit. I think it's armored though.

ive been messing around with mighty strike wall bounce combos, its hard man.

f.LP, LK, HK, HP, f.HP, mighty strike (lk) is hard to cancel into (but works), f.LP off the wall bounce, f.HP, launcher, magic series into spike works, but then I cant get anything off the OTG because they always drop off in the air.

like I said, im having a hard time understanding what is allowed.

Linari

Neo Member
So how are people getting the IAD Jedah pinwheel tag resets to work? I try and it seems the opponent can still tech forward.

IAD jLK LP Pinwheel Switch

Don't do that reset/setup it's not real because the can tech out of that.

Try claw swipe then pinwheel and then follow which way they tech. Or you can try dash forward j.lk cancelled into fly and cover the tech that way.

Other than those better setups should come off of claw swipe tag with the other character.

Raitaro

There are like at most 5 good themes. The soundtrack is super forgettable.

This is a real shame when you consider how catchy and memorable the previous few MvC OST's have been. Not sure how they could have gone from that to this, honestly :-(

Not everyone will agree but the stages in Infinite seem quite boring and devoid of life / interactables to me as well.

It's a bit like the earlier versions of some of SFV's retro stages like Guile's airfield before they patched in more animations and interactions and such. I mean, how interesting is a mostly realistic depiction of that (Stark?) command room with just a hologlobe and a few screens but without any fantastical elements, NPC's etc? To me, not very but I guess some (mainly those that complained about the low quality of SFV's NPC's) will appreciate the more quiet / still / clean nature of these?

Jawmuncher

In truth the main things MvC:I does better than MVC3 are
Gameplay (not necessarily better depending on preference but still a positive)
Better netcode
More game modes
Easier trophy list

MVC3 still has the style and roster (even with just vanilla) squarely on its side. It’s starting to look like for those who skipped it those are some of the biggest factors MVCI shouldn’t have lost on

OsirisBlack

Banned
ive been messing around with mighty strike wall bounce combos, its hard man.

f.LP, LK, HK, HP, f.HP, mighty strike (lk) is hard to cancel into (but works), f.LP off the wall bounce, f.HP, launcher, magic series into spike works, but then I cant get anything off the OTG because they always drop off in the air.

like I said, im having a hard time understanding what is allowed.

Basic stuff I'm figuring it out he's going to be really good but seems to be harder to play than he was in umvc 3.

https://youtu.be/OHHME_n5Mbw

Rhaknar

Basic stuff I'm figuring it out he's going to be really good but seems to be harder to play than he was in umvc 3.

https://youtu.be/OHHME_n5Mbw

going back to your original post:

I cant do the lk into mighty smash at the end no matter how much I try. But one thing I did notice is, any reason why you cant sneak in a forward HP after the mighty strike at the start?

air HP cancel into HK mighty strike, lp, lk, hp, forward hp, launch for a little extra dmg?

edit: totally works. Also you dont do the lk before the mighty smash to bounce them in your video, and without the LK I can do it. 6388 dmg 1 bar. same as yours but with the added forward HP before the launch (its the spinny hammer thing)

It only adds like 60 dmg tho :/

sinkfla87

I'm actually enjoying playing this game more than I did 3 lol. I feel like the free tag system is more op than normal assists. I mean these are basically assists you can fully control haha.

Tag system is ridiculous but once people stop playing it like 3 you'll have to be on point if you don't want your other character to eat a shitload of damage.

sinkfla87

Tag system is ridiculous but once people stop playing it like 3 you'll have to be on point if you don't want your other character to eat a shitload of damage.

Yeah I noticed last night there were moments where people had an open opportunity to punish but then I remembered that they could have gotten wrecked if the opponent just tagged mid missed super lol.

Rhaknar

oh lol a much easier Thor combo and does only 90 dmg less than the other one Osiris is:

air HP, f.LP, LK,HP,HK,f.HP, launch, LP,LK,LP, mighty strike (lk), tornado hyper

6294 dmg

edit: ooh 6433

air HP, f.LP, LK, HP, HK, f.HP, cancel into mighty strike (lk), f.LP, launch, LP, LK, LP, mighty spark (LP), tornado hyper.

Its kinda silly that so little dmg is added from all the extra stuff lol

brian!

So how are people getting the IAD Jedah pinwheel tag resets to work? I try and it seems the opponent can still tech forward.

IAD jLK LP Pinwheel Switch

It's off a hard knockdown, usually after his hit-grab near the end of your combo, your opponent should be flipping out after the the instant j.lk into your eviscerate

the color of the text changes. I think red?

Ill try to keep an eye out

patchday

Nice just won against a Ghost rider finally. Man those whips come out faster then Capt Marvels beams. Had to use Gamora to body him

OsirisBlack

Banned
going back to your original post:

I cant do the lk into mighty smash at the end no matter how much I try. But one thing I did notice is, any reason why you cant sneak in a forward HP after the mighty strike at the start?

air HP cancel into HK mighty strike, lp, lk, hp, forward hp, launch for a little extra dmg?

edit: totally works. Also you dont do the lk before the mighty smash to bounce them in your video, and without the LK I can do it. 6388 dmg 1 bar. same as yours but with the added forward HP before the launch (its the spinny hammer thing)

It only adds like 60 dmg tho :/

oh lol a much easier Thor combo and does only 90 dmg less than the other one Osiris is:

air HP, f.LP, LK,HP,HK,f.HP, launch, LP,LK,LP, mighty strike (lk), tornado hyper

6294 dmg

edit: ooh 6430

air HP, f.LP, LK, HP, HK, f.HP, cancel into mighty strike (lk), f.LP, launch, LP, LK, mighty spark (LP), tornado hyper.

Its kinda silly that so little dmg is added from all the extra stuff lol

Yea the scaling in this game is pretty serious, and yea the hammer spin can be put in if you like but check out the armor properties on some of Thors bullshit. And I miss true fucking Thor resets :(

https://youtu.be/BCzu3CHzAW0

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
In truth the main things MvC:I does better than MVC3 are
Gameplay (not necessarily better depending on preference but still a positive)
Better netcode
More game modes
Easier trophy list

MVC3 still has the style and roster (even with just vanilla) squarely on its side. It's starting to look like for those who skipped it those are some of the biggest factors MVCI shouldn't have lost on

Agreed. If this game had a better roster it would've blown the previous iteration out of the water. Like someone above said earlier, I haven't had so much fun in training mode for a Marvel game in a long time. Certainly helps they made Chun-li good this time around too.

Rhaknar

mighty spark seems much better to connect tornado, the hit stun on it is super lenient compared to mighty smash which you basically have to imediatly cancel into the tornado.

edit: oh duh, easy 6500 by doing a full spike down and pick them back up. You cant do much when you pull them back up from the OTG tho as usual, think only lp, lk, mighty spark into tornado, maybe even just one of the lights

OsirisBlack

Banned
mighty spark seems much better to connect tornado, the hit stun on it is super lenient compared to mighty smash which you basically have to imediatly cancel into the tornado.

Air mighty spark has a ton of hit stun you can loop it a bunch of times and set up an easy air tornado combo. Seems no matter what I do after a mighty hurricane I get 4 hits max and I can't even air dash and grab for a reset :(

Spman2099

The soundtrack is bad on the marvel side mostly

I don't know about that. Even Chun-li's theme, a theme I almost always love, is severely undermined by some of the most generic dubstep I have ever heard. Morigan's theme also degrades into unlistenable noise about twenty seconds in.

Arthur's is certainly more than passable. It leans heavily on a theme that was already strong, which is a smart idea.

This game's OST is incredibly weak though. So weak that I really hope they consider replacing it at some point (which would be unheard of, but is probably necessary).

Rhaknar

actually you can do a full air series, lp, lk, hp, mighty spark (lp), tornado works, 6600 dmg of 1 bar, not too shabby?

edit: shit meant to edit, sorry.

or not sorry, this is now the Thor vs Capcom |OT| for Rhaknar and OsirisBlack fuck all of you :3

air HP, f.LP, LK, HP, HK, f.HP, launch, LP, LK, HP, HK, d.LP OTG, launch, LP, LK, HP, mighty spark (LP), tornado try that Osiris :D

Top Bottom