• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Dahbomb

FChamp showing off why Captain Marvel is busted.

Turn on Photon Absorber, slide into Blitz. Can't be challenged by lights or projectiles, only heavies but the Blitz is fast and has high enough priority to beat them.

That's all he did and he made Clockwork's Gamora look like the worst character in the game.

Dahbomb

I don't know why Capcom made it so that even if you get hit, Reality Stone remains active. You would think they would've learned their lesson with Phoenix in Vanilla Marvel 3.

I also don't know why Reality stone projectile is active on frame one.

Justin (and I guess FChamp too) is going to get Reality stone nerfed hard.

DR2K

Banned
I don't know why Capcom made it so that even if you get hit, Reality Stone remains active. You would think they would've learned their lesson with Phoenix in Vanilla Marvel 3.

I also don't know why Reality stone projectile is active on frame one.

Justin (and I guess FChamp too) is going to get Reality stone nerfed hard.

Because they can be reflected back this time and have low durability.

Dahbomb

You guys still want this game to be 2/3?

LMAO! Those FT5 ended mad quick.

That's what it looks when someone who knows how to play the game runs a train on someone.

Also WTF @ that Dante tech... that can't be real...

Because they can be reflected back this time and have low durability.
You don't think ChrisG was trying to do that whole match? He was doing that whole match and while he was successful a few times, it's a very low percentage play. It's very hard to time the push block when you are getting pressured like that because you are just waiting for the ball to come while another character is sitting on you. No one is going to throw out a Reality stone then just sit back waiting for you to reflect. They will advance in front of it instead. If you try to hit their characters, the Reality stone will combo break you. If you try to move yourself forward in order to reflect the ball back then you will instead get pressured or throw back. The longer you wait to reflect it the worse the reflect is.

It's not even that low durability, it traded with the Soul Fist. If you are trading Soul Fist with Reality stone then that's a terrible thing to be doing.

JeTmAn81

My kneejerk reaction to Reality Stone is that it's overrated and will fall out of favor over time even without a nerf. You can easily overwhelm it with more powerful projectiles or reflection. You can run away from the Storm effects.

bubumiao

Anyone tried playing the game in remote play on a laptop? Are online matches laggy like that? I don't feel like getting my stick out, just want to lay in bed and play a little before I sleep.

Besides super projectiles beating normal projectiles, projectile durability seems not to be a thing anymore and most things just go away when they clash. Like Arthur's stuff he throws disappear when it clashes with reality stone, even the lance gets negated by reality stone. I actually liked that durability system in UMVC3. Reality stone would probably much easier to deal with for a lot of characters if that system was in place and the rather durable projectiles still acted the way they did, like the lance (though armored up lance goes pierces through reality stone). An interesting to note, for Arthur's crossbow, if the arrows hit the stone at the same time, they all get negated, but if only 1 arrow hits it, that arrow and the reality stone is negated but the others still travel. So I guess whatever clashes at that moment at time just cancel each other out, not matter how many it is.

Arthur's sickle though goes through any projectile and just keeps going doing its thing. It will negate the reality stone and still continue on. So it basically might be like a beam property wise, just eating through projectiles. Though if he gets hit, the hitbox of it disappears.

So how are people getting the IAD Jedah pinwheel tag resets to work? I try and it seems the opponent can still tech forward.

IAD jLK LP Pinwheel Switch

DR2K

Banned
You guys still want this game to be 2/3?

LMAO! Those FT5 ended mad quick.

That's what it looks when someone who knows how to play the game runs a train on someone.

Also WTF @ that Dante tech... that can't be real...

You don't think ChrisG was trying to do that whole match? He was doing that whole match and while he was successful a few times, it's a very low percentage play. It's very hard to time the push block when you are getting pressured like that because you are just waiting for the ball to come while another character is sitting on you. No one is going to throw out a Reality stone then just sit back waiting for you to reflect. They will advance in front of it instead. If you try to hit their characters, the Reality stone will combo break you. If you try to move yourself forward in order to reflect the ball back then you will instead get pressured or throw back. The longer you wait to reflect it the worse the reflect is.

It's not even that low durability, it traded with the Soul Fist. If you are trading Soul Fist with Reality stone then that's a terrible thing to be doing.

Soul fist has low durability

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Finally finished story mode. Was real fun. Hope they make a second season. I mean,
they seemed to be building up to it, what with Satsui no Hadou!Thanos' descriptions in the Database.

Dahbomb

My kneejerk reaction to Reality Stone is that it's overrated and will fall out of favor over time even without a nerf. You can easily overwhelm it with more powerful projectiles or reflection. You can run away from the Storm effects.
A homing projectile that combo breaks you will never not be good in these games. It's basically a Phoenix fireball that generates on frame 1 (so it's even better). Like the way Justin was using it was just one example, defensive teams can use it as well and it honestly works better defensively than the Power stone. Then you can use it twice while tagging.

The Storm is not that powerful but it's still pretty good. The freeze works sort of like a defensive X factor guard cancel as you can mash Storm activation into a light and it punishes people who are still attacking you.

I just discovered something. Here's Captain Marvel's official overview on her Photon Absorber:

https://youtu.be/m9RfR-RsjO8?t=1m32s

It clearly says on top that she can only absorb one attack but EVEN IN THE VIDEO EXAMPLE she is able to absorb attacks as long as the power up is active. This ability is definitely not working as intended.

Yeah the two big things that are problems that are emerging so far are Dorm's flame bed and Reality Stone. One of the bigger problems with Reality Stone for me is just that it's too universally useful and makes team building a lot less interesting. Why try to figure out Time combos or try to maximize all the bars you get off of Mind Stone when you can just slap Reality on any team and it will just work? When big body teams, hyper rushdown teams, and zoning teams can all utilize the same stone very effectively then I think there's a problem. Power kind of has this issue as well I feel but not quite to the same degree and it's not as big an issue because it's not as powerful at the moment.

Also has anyone seen anyone use Mind Stone? Between playing and watching I haven't found a single person using it.

ZangBa

Man, reality stone is so oppressive. I started using it instead of soul and don't regret it, it just feels like an annoying, floating combo breaker that tracks. I think this will get nerfed for sure, either to go away when the player gets hit or a bigger cool down or something.

Dahbomb

IMO just talking about broad balancing and game design... making sure that the 6 stones are all balanced is WAY more important than balancing characters in this game.

Stones can be used by everyone and are more universal to the game's engine. One stone being better than the rest completely shapes the game.

Reality stone was so strong in Justin's hand that he slapped together two strong characters without much synergy and just went ham. This seems counter intuitive to how the game seems to be designed. Like if Justin had used any other stone, that team would've been exponentially weaker. His whole game plan was "RTSD, when he push blocks, reality stone, into tag, into reality stone then continue pressure again, repeat until they die".

Right now in week 1 these are obvious issues with the game balance wise. Maybe they can self correct themselves when the meta advances but it's still important to bring them up so people can provide legitimate counter play to them.

1) Reality Stone: I think there are two essential problems with this stone. The combo breaker property and the frame 1 generation. The Storm is fine as it is.

2) Dormammu's 3C. The 3C is far above the power level of the other summons, so much so that players are using Dormammu just for that 3C and they don't even care about the other summons. They have turned Dormammu into this weird "support" character that just creates unfair set play situations. This one is kinda iffy depending on how that escape for it works and how reliable that is. FChamp showed the escape but he also said that he has counter play to that so I don't know how that is going to pan out.

3) Captain Marvel's Photon Absorber. I suspected it before but I am now 100% convinced that this is not working as intended. The power up does not dissipate when she absorbs a single hit, it just keeps up until it expires. This means that Captain Marvel is a much more effective "big body" character than any big body character in the game. Let that sink in for a second.

4) Gamora's push block negation on the guns. This one I am most iffy on and I am of the camp that thinks Gamora might actually be the Wesker of the game (ie. falls of in strength after people start playing better characters and playing around her guns). Because if she didn't have the push block negation she would be a fair character. People say "oh man she can get combo from full screen"... like bruh so can every other character with the tag mechanic. Push block negation just makes it so that its impossible to keep her away from you and it makes it easy for her to tag in a partner at point blank range and do jank cross ups like what RayRay does with Gamora/Ultron.

5) This is extra but I don't think clones should be allowed to use stones. This is especially a problem with something like the Soul stone where you can put them in a long hyper then use a clone hyper and spam Soul surges to recover your character to full health. You also get weird interactions like with power stone where if you are in a clone form, the Power stone basically doesn't wall bounce because the second power stone of the clone negates the first one. I don't even have to talk about Reality stone here.

Of course if that Dante thing is real then that's for sure not an intended thing that should be in the game.

If the new characters are coming October 3rd maybe there's a patch that fixes some bugs/unintended stuff.

decisions

IMO just talking about broad balancing and game design... making sure that the 6 stones are all balanced is WAY more important than balancing characters in this game.

Stones can be used by everyone and are more universal to the game's engine. One stone being better than the rest completely shapes the game.

Reality stone was so strong in Justin's hand that he slapped together two strong characters without much synergy and just went ham. This seems counter intuitive to how the game seems to be designed. Like if Justin had used any other stone, that team would've been exponentially weaker. His whole game plan was "RTSD, when he push blocks, reality stone, into tag, into reality stone then continue pressure again, repeat until they die".

Right now in week 1 these are obvious issues with the game balance wise. Maybe they can self correct themselves when the meta advances but it's still important to bring them up so people can provide legitimate counter play to them.

1) Reality Stone: I think there are two essential problems with this stone. The combo breaker property and the frame 1 generation. The Storm is fine as it is.

2) Dormammu's 3C. The 3C is far above the power level of the other summons, so much so that players are using Dormammu just for that 3C and they don't even care about the other summons. They have turned Dormammu into this weird "support" character that just creates unfair set play situations. This one is kinda iffy depending on how that escape for it works and how reliable that is. FChamp showed the escape but he also said that he has counter play to that so I don't know how that is going to pan out.

3) Captain Marvel's Photon Absorber. I suspected it before but I am now 100% convinced that this is not working as intended. The power up does not dissipate when she absorbs a single hit, it just keeps up until it expires. This means that Captain Marvel is a much more effective "big body" character than any big body character in the game. Let that sink in for a second.

4) Gamora's push block negation on the guns. This one I am most iffy on and I am of the camp that thinks Gamora might actually be the Wesker of the game (ie. falls of in strength after people start playing better characters and playing around her guns). Because if she didn't have the push block negation she would be a fair character. People say "oh man she can get combo from full screen"... like bruh so can every other character with the tag mechanic. Push block negation just makes it so that its impossible to keep her away from you and it makes it easy for her to tag in a partner at point blank range and do jank cross ups like what RayRay does with Gamora/Ultron.

5) This is extra but I don't think clones should be allowed to use stones. This is especially a problem with something like the Soul stone where you can put them in a long hyper then use a clone hyper and spam Soul surges to recover your character to full health. You also get weird interactions like with power stone where if you are in a clone form, the Power stone basically doesn't wall bounce because the second power stone of the clone negates the first one. I don't even have to talk about Reality stone here.

Of course if that Dante thing is real then that's for sure not an intended thing that should be in the game.

If the new characters are coming October 3rd maybe there's a patch that fixes some bugs/unintended stuff.

What is the Dante tech and can I see it? Missed the stream haha.

Anbec7

Well fighting against Thanos and Chun Li is super annoying with the super fast recovery on Chun li and big damage of Thanos.
Poor X couldn´t do a lot with him lol

liquidtmd

Banned
Day 2 thoughts with the game

1 - finding online matches in some instances just ain't happening (PS4). When I find one, it's freaking flawless

2 - fuck Nemesis in the story mode currently. Fuck him.

3 - despite still having some qualms about some of the models (Hawkeye and Gamora still aren't gelling), I really quite like the graphics now. The speed, colours and effects - sure it isn't absolute top of the line, but the 'ugly' and 'cheap' comments now ring hollow for me. Playing on a 47 inch TV, really digging the audio / visual experience of the game.

Admittedly I'm only a dirty casual, but gameplay wise it's immediately hitting me better than 3. Better soundtrack too

Day 2 thoughts with the game

1 - finding online matches in some instances just ain't happening (PS4). When I find one, it's freaking flawless

I and others have found that if you go into training mode and turn on fight request, you find matches extremely fast, like finding a match before you can finish a combo. I play on pc, but I heard this also works on PS4.

Top Bottom