• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

VariantX

BC2 rush had objective damage, collapsible mcoms, C4 vehicles, long range attacking from tanks and rpgs and other explosives, more open (wider) maps in general with more cover and less visibility. you just had to be more spread and open to defend because the attackers had more options. it kind of tipped the scales towards attacking as a few good coordinated attackers could beat all but the best defenders.

That's what made it more fun. There was more than one way to get the job done. It was super important for defenders to push forward and occupy as much of the Attacker's avenues of approach as possible. In future games, you only had 1 way to take M-Coms and it was way easier to defend them without having to actively push the attackers back as much as before. I also remember turrets being amazing in that game. Accurate and powerful. It sort of brought a bit of counterbalance to the wide range of options the attackers had.

Manage to finish all 3 frontline matches and wins back to back. Just glad I kept going in the first match even tho my team was losing. We ended up getting a comeback and destroyed the next 2 maps.

Edit: "Defend the Frontlines" dog tag should be available Monday, August 21.

And bf1 season pass is on sale currently till August 25.

M52B28

Banned
The vanilla maps are some of the better maps in the game, now.

I feel the maps in the pack sacrificed mechanical playability for beauty and looks. These maps have very inconsistent spawning and spawn points, choke points that have no purpose in taking and lack of dynamics.

The night maps have overlapping spawn points. What's the point of taking one objective to be spawned into an objective that is behind me? Also, I feel they added spawn points to maps just to make them not be another Argonne Forest massive choke point. Lots of things just seem like second thought.

I found that a lot of buildings just can't go down much, which allows for snipers and other folks to sit in the remnants and head glitch/remain unseen. In addition to the lack of dynamics, why can't the lights be blown out, and why can't cars that are sitting as props be used or destroyed?

I've been on the fence with premium, but them giving the trial for it has definitely made me not want to get it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Had the weirdest game of operations last night. I was on fire killing people left and right but always found myself capping objectives solo. no one was around and it seemed like i was in an empty server.

looked at the map and saw that everyone was hanging back. usually that means you get spawn raped but the other team must have been camping too.

looked at the scoreboard half way through the game and saw this.

DHWhUYFVwAAtOvr.jpg

it looks like my team was capping objectives, just not getting any kills. i have never seen a kill difference like that between the first and second players on the scoreboard. What the hell were they doing?

P.S Ever since the last big update, my ping has jumped to over a 100. this despite me playing on East Coast servers where i used to get 30-40 ms pings. my router settings havent changed. i havent bought any new devices. have never had to mess with port forwarding with this router. this is so frustrating since i keep getting shot around corners. last night some guy sniped me like two seconds after i left a window.

Played 4 out of the 6 Premium maps in the trial last night and was really, really unimpressed.

Rupture and Soissons are great, the others are a bit of a miss imo.

Still the new weapons and vehicle are nice and Fort de Vaux is good for grinding anything you may need and more variety never hurts.

I'm hoping that they made 4 out of 6 maps in this pack infantry-focused the Russian DLC is a lot more traditional.

Gaenor

Banned
The only dlc map that is weak imo is Rupture, but only because I find it boring. It seems to be a favorite though as it is always selected in the votings.

Fort de Vaux, while chaotic, is something different.
Soissons is just great.
Verdun Height is a pretty unique and cool-looking map. But I barely played any games on it.
Prise de Tahure is my favorite, even amongst the vanilla maps.
Nivelle Night seems to recreate the craziness of the no man's lands of WWI.

But that's coming from someone who enjoys all of the vanilla maps, even Suez. Except Fao Fortress, I hate that one.

The only dlc map that is weak imo is Rupture, but only because I find it boring. It seems to be a favorite though as it is always selected in the votings.

Soissons is just great.
Verdun Height is a pretty unique and cool-looking map. But I barely played any games on it.

But that's coming from someone who enjoys all of the vanilla maps, even Suez. Except Fao Fortress, I hate that one.

Fao Fortress should be used in schools to show how NOT to design a map.

Have they announced if the Russian DLC will include a new Behemoth? I noticed that there was still a train on the CTE map, but I was wondering if the other maps would have something else.

Speaking of which, I LOVE the train in the CTE map. Having it be on an elevated bridge is so cool, and it looks amazing when it's raining down hell on the rest of the map.

Soissons is just great.

Fort de Vaux is an infantry clusterfuck map but it really should be the last one in the game, Argonne and Suez were already pushing it. It's better than Metro and Operation Locker at least.

Soissons is great and beautiful to boot.

Verdun Heights is unique looking and I love the village area but C flag is always a mess.

Prise de Tahure is pretty good, nothing amazing but it's solid, my only wish is that it was a bit brighter by default because you can easily cheese it by turning brightness up to 100. Aesthetically it's also up there in my favorites.

Nivelle Nights is stunningly mediocre and boring imo. I can't tell you why I don't like it but I know I don't. Same deal with the brightness as Prise de Tahure.

Rupture is pretty nice and has the really beautiful red flowers at flag A, my only gripe is sometimes it seems like you're going in circles trying to cap and defend flags.

WillyFive

I like all the maps in the French DLC except the one with the bridge and the one in the fort. Other than those two, they are among the best maps in the game.

That's what made it more fun. There was more than one way to get the job done. It was super important for defenders to push forward and occupy as much of the Attacker's avenues of approach as possible. In future games, you only had 1 way to take M-Coms and it was way easier to defend them without having to actively push the attackers back as much as before. I also remember turrets being amazing in that game. Accurate and powerful. It sort of brought a bit of counterbalance to the wide range of options the attackers had.

yeah but in hindsight, it made attacking vs defending severely imbalanced.

Sekoku and i with 10 randoms could win on attack 90% of the time.

hell, BLUE089 could solo half the maps in the game with an RPG if he had someone to drop ammo.

EYEL1NER

Whoohoo! Just checked and they gave me the Defend the Frontlines tag. Next up in hopefully only a week or so is the third tag, the knife, and whatever the other mystery reward is.

DeaDPo0L84

just found out that the guys I play with are all gonna migrate over to battlefront 2 once that drops, im not personally too interested in that game. Any one else worried once all the big fall shooters drop that EA might push them to start focusing on the next big thing? support for this has been very slow in comparison to past bf games and none of my friends are playing it which wasnt the case back when bf3 and bf4 were relevant. Also how do I join the gaf ps4 clan?

DeaDPo0L84

for the record this is one of my personal favorite bf titles, just sucks cause i dont really feel like even dice are that excited or motivated to keep it relevant.

Olengie

Im likely going to move to Battlefront 2.

Im under the impression im going to be putting time in both since I bought the damn Premium Pass and might as well play the rest of the DLC. Lol

just found out that the guys I play with are all gonna migrate over to battlefront 2 once that drops, im not personally too interested in that game. Any one else worried once all the big fall shooters drop that EA might push them to start focusing on the next big thing? support for this has been very slow in comparison to past bf games and none of my friends are playing it which wasnt the case back when bf3 and bf4 were relevant. Also how do I join the gaf ps4 clan?
I will prob stick to bf1 since I prefer historical or modern warfare. And if it's similar gameplay to battlefront 1. Yeah support is slow as fuck. I have you on psn right? I will send you an invite or request to join again. What time zone are you in btw?

edit: are you talking about the bf1 clan? cause you have to apply for that. I don't think I can send you an invite.

SlimySnake

People will play Battlefront 2 and realize how awful the gunplay and shooting is, and come back to Battlefield after a couple of weeks. Battlefront is this casual shooter that is less about gunfights than it is about capturing the feel of star wars.

i watched some E3 footage and there are so many power ups it was a hilariously broken.

Maybe I just need to play them more, but I think the two night maps might be my least-favorite maps in the entire game. It's just so hard to see ANYTHING, and you just know that some other players are turning the brightness up all the way, haha.

Wish they would have set the maps right before dawn or something, so that the sky could be brighter while still being "night." Right now, I can't see shit, especially if I'm playing during the day when the room is bright.

Olengie

People will play Battlefront 2 and realize how awful the gunplay and shooting is, and come back to Battlefield after a couple of weeks. Battlefront is this casual shooter that is less about gunfights than it is about capturing the feel of star wars.

i watched some E3 footage and there are so many power ups it was a hilariously broken.

we'll see about that.

SlimySnake

Maybe I just need to play them more, but I think the two night maps might be my least-favorite maps in the entire game. It's just so hard to see ANYTHING, and you just know that some other players are turning the brightness up all the way, haha.

Wish they would have set the maps right before dawn or something, so that the sky could be brighter while still being "night." Right now, I can't see shit, especially if I'm playing during the day when the room is bright.

frontlines is a lot of fun on Nevelle Nights. Pare De La Ture or whatever the hell they call it, is a cluttery pile of shit on all modes. i have the brightness up to a 100 and i still cant see shit on C.

terrible map. i love the look of the streets but the way its designed you will almost never fight on the streets.

Battlefront's gunplay is perfect for the TPS arcade style game it is, if anything 2's looks like a regression. The problem is the first DICE battlefront was shit on a stick with everything that wasn't gunplay, audio or visuals. Map design, balance, the way vehicles and heroes were handled, saber gameplay, game modes, dogfighting etc.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
frontlines is a lot of fun on Nevelle Nights. Pare De La Ture or whatever the hell they call it, is a cluttery pile of shit on all modes. i have the brightness up to a 100 and i still cant see shit on C.

terrible map. i love the look of the streets but the way its designed you will almost never fight on the streets.

Yeah its way too dark. Such a shame.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I like all the maps in the French DLC except the one with the bridge and the one in the fort. Other than those two, they are among the best maps in the game.

I love them all but probably Rupture the least. Love the French army, weapons and the music is simply amazing.

The music in the new DLC should be top notch too given what I've heard from the CTE.

COME ON SEPTEMBER!!!! GO GO GO!!!!!!!!

LORANT92

I love them all but probably Rupture the least. Love the French army, weapons and the music is simply amazing.

The music in the new DLC should be top notch too given what I've heard from the CTE.

COME ON SEPTEMBER!!!! GO GO GO!!!!!!!!

The RSC optical has quickly become my (second) favourite Medic rifle.

On another topic, dogtags from the second summer mission (win 3 rush games) are being rolled out, check if you've received them.
Lupkow Pass for premium users is likely coming next week if all goes well, but don't quote me on that.

DeaDPo0L84

I will prob stick to bf1 since I prefer historical or modern warfare. And if it's similar gameplay to battlefront 1. Yeah support is slow as fuck. I have you on psn right? I will send you an invite or request to join again. What time zone are you in btw?

edit: are you talking about the bf1 clan? cause you have to apply for that. I don't think I can send you an invite.

I do have you on my friends list, I dont necessarily need to be a part of an official clan but at least have a group that plays. I am with you that as far as mp shooters I dont see anything that would in the near future pull me away from BF1. I do need to see what the big gamescom announcement is monday, hopefully not just some esports addition that I feel will fall on deaf ears. They HAVE to figure out a way to make maps free going forward, not sure how but I feel as long as it remains paid content this game will get drowned out once fall hits. Next time were both on lets try and get some games in! As well as any one else who is reading this and needs an extra gun on the battlefield.

Hystzen

Finally bought this and pass only waited for this for first few patches to help out start. UK ps4 player my psn is hysteria-87 feel free to add sometimes im up late to play with US. I applied for clan I think not sure but i was in BF4 gaf group

Is it worth getting the premium pass? It's on sale on Xbox one for 40 quid at the moment

Honestly, i have it and im always on the vanilla maps. If they had servers with all maps like any normal game id say yes. But they dont. So to me, i feel like it isnt worth it.

Played my first match with the specializations. Even though I always use smoke grenades when I play Medic, I'm not sure if I like the specialization that makes teammates automatically drop smoke grenades when they die.

Feels like it'll need to be changed at some point, especially if entire squads run Medic and entire chokepoints are nothing but smoke the entire match. I can envision the C flag on Suez being obscured by smoke nearly the entire match, for example.

I do have you on my friends list, I dont necessarily need to be a part of an official clan but at least have a group that plays. I am with you that as far as mp shooters I dont see anything that would in the near future pull me away from BF1. I do need to see what the big gamescom announcement is monday, hopefully not just some esports addition that I feel will fall on deaf ears. They HAVE to figure out a way to make maps free going forward, not sure how but I feel as long as it remains paid content this game will get drowned out once fall hits. Next time were both on lets try and get some games in! As well as any one else who is reading this and needs an extra gun on the battlefield.
I am only excepting Russian DLC info. So I dont get fall for the hype :p Agreed atleast the DLC model for Battlefront 2 is free, so I am hoping the next battlefield DLC will be free as well. Sure just send me a invite if you see me on.

Finally bought this and pass only waited for this for first few patches to help out start. UK ps4 player my psn is hysteria-87 feel free to add sometimes im up late to play with US. I applied for clan I think not sure but i was in BF4 gaf group
Sure I will add you and check the Bf1 gaf clan.

Is it worth getting the premium pass? It's on sale on Xbox one for 40 quid at the moment
Eh hit and miss. Keep in mind, I am on PS4, so it might be different for xbox one players. I can find DLC conquest matches easily while 40 player Operations mode are very hard to find depnding on the time of day. The new weapons are nice as well.

RNG

Is it just me or does no one play Operations mode with the DLC maps? Came back after a 5-6 month hiatus and it's hard to pick the operation that I want to play separately, especially the DLC ones.

I can't believe I missed the doot doot dogtag :/

dbxp117-4392af5b.png

and yeah operations is a shitshow, partly due to not having a server browser or quickmatch, partly because of the premium split

gonna be even worse when the new russian operations come

Played my first match with the specializations. Even though I always use smoke grenades when I play Medic, I'm not sure if I like the specialization that makes teammates automatically drop smoke grenades when they die.

Feels like it'll need to be changed at some point, especially if entire squads run Medic and entire chokepoints are nothing but smoke the entire match. I can envision the C flag on Suez being obscured by smoke nearly the entire match, for example.

There are some specializations where I feel like they didn't think about them for more than 3 seconds and amazingly made it to the testing phase. This is the main offender.

BPK

Anybody have any impressions from the CTE of the new map we're getting later this month? I hope it's better designed than other ones since I often feel everybody is playing ring around the Rosie and there's no flow to the battle in Conquest.

Caayn

Is it just me or does no one play Operations mode with the DLC maps? Came back after a 5-6 month hiatus and it's hard to pick the operation that I want to play separately, especially the DLC ones.
It's hit or miss for me. One time I can get a match on a DLC map and the next moment I can only get matches on the default maps. Add the Operations long loading times before being able to see if you're actually put in a match with other players or just another empty server makes it very unattractive to play.

Smokey

I'm getting prompted to download some UI update when I launch BF1. Says I cannot play online without it. Try and download it and it stays at 0% and does nothing. Exited out and tried again multiple times. Is this happening to anybody else?

e: seems repairing the game somehow fixed it.

Anybody have any impressions from the CTE of the new map we're getting later this month? I hope it's better designed than other ones since I often feel everybody is playing ring around the Rosie and there's no flow to the battle in Conquest.

I enjoyed Lupkow Pass, however it was a bit too horse dominant.

Aangster

Why are specializations coming to the game?

DICE have awful design priorities they aren't even communicating. At least the specialisations aren't defensive perk levels of BF4 bullshit.

Very disappointing to see them repeat the same mistakes in CTE while failing to bring the strengths of other titles into the mix, namely the damn test range and pilot customisation outside of vehicle selection. Also beating an out-sniped cavalry horse here, but where's a browser for Operations? It's basically dead in Australia PC.

Striker

One server for the new map at the moment. Five people waiting to get in. US east coast here.

When are the new weapons releasing?

Olengie

peeved that I got jipped on Battlefield 1 now. I bought them separately. ><

Battlefield 1 + the Season Pass for 59.99. Smh.

Top Bottom