• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT2| "All Quiet on the GAF Front"

DeaDPo0L84

Is there a gaf clan for ps4? also does nobody play conquest? Im sitting here refreshing even with all server regions selected and only two rooms show 5/64 players. Was the drop off that bad?

LORANT92

Autoloading 8.whatevrr is a beast but I prefer the extended just so I'm not reloading as often. I'm using the seltbsblaster now for the 300 kills and I love the reload animation and how it reloads faster if you empty the chamber, but it does seem to have a bit of a high killtime considering it only has 5 rounds in it. My favorite medic rifle is the mondragon storm, and SL sweeper for cqc. And yes I know the factory is better but having an automatic is nice.

I've also come around to the madsen MG for support but the damn vertical magazine...

The Selbstlader 1906 is very dependent on you maintaining 60% or above accuracy, but if you can manage that, it's one of the most consistent weapons in the game
although not quite as amazing as Model 8 .35 magdumps
. It also benefits from the same bonuses as Optical weapons do without the drawbacks.
Sweeper/extended variants are nice, but they have really noticeable issues outside of 15-20 meters.
Madsen Low weight is ridiculously good, but I can't use it without the AA sight.

also does nobody play conquest?

Not if I can help it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jesus fuck people stop voting suez

EYEL1NER

I like it for Conquest but that is because I've had way more matches where my team was the dominant one rather than the opposite. When my team is getting crushed, it does become obvious how shitty of a map it is. I don't know what the common opinions or facts related to the map are but it does seem like the team on the right/east side of the map has an easier go of it too, being able to often push all the way to B and hold the enemy there for the whole match.

Striker

Even on the dominating team it isn't that fun. Wish they would [have] implemented the CTE version from PC. I try to avoid it completely anymore.

Mahonay

Banned
Missed out on getting in on the CTE program for console with my internet being down all last month. Whatevs. At least I won't be tired of the maps when they release.

I've come around the layout itself but man, on conquest if you're the British prepared to get spawn/flag A trapped. I have never seen anything other than an Ottoman routing, they need to tweak/add flags. Although I remember reading that they would do that months ago.
BF1 Conquest is a terrible experience in 64 player though, and Operations is dead due to DICE refusing to put it on the server browser.
I still love cq 64 tho

And operations is baffling on how they do it and how they haven't fixed it really but I still manage to find a game within 20 seconds if I search for all.

Speak for yourself. It's what I come to Battlefield for.
While I am still a huge conquest fan, I've actually come to love rush and operations more. It's nice having a clear objective for everyone to fight over, rather than the multiple objectives in conquest. There are times where conquest matches just devolve into people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and there are no real battle lines. Part of that is due to map design, because on maps like Amiens there is a pretty clear battle line by the train track, but you never really have that problem in rush and operation.

Mahonay

Banned
While I am still a huge conquest fan, I've actually come to love rush and operations more. It's nice having a clear objective for everyone to fight over, rather than the multiple objectives in conquest. There are times where conquest matches just devolve into people running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and there are no real battle lines. Part of that is due to map design, because on maps like Amiens there is a pretty clear battle line by the train track, but you never really have that problem in rush and operation.
I've sort of adapted to the increased chaos in BF1 64 player conquest games. I will retreat from objectives and work my around to another flag when shit gets really crazy in one spot, because yeah, the way most of the maps are designed, enemies just sort of come from every direction. I find myself being way more mobile in BF1 than I was in BF4. The only time I will hold the line in BF1 64 player is when it's obvious most of the action is somewhere else on the map.

Rush in BF1 is a clusterfuck mess, even more than 64 player operations. I'm not sure what even happened since I loved it in BFBC2 and thought it was decent in 3 and tolerable in 4.

Mahonay

Banned
Rush in BF1 is a clusterfuck mess, even more than 64 player operations. I'm not sure what even happened since I loved it in BFBC2 and thought it was decent in 3 and tolerable in 4.
I thought Rush was awful in 4.

BFBC2 was definitely perfect. It was the game to first introduce Rush, and the only one to really do it right.

But to be fair, I've put incredibly little time into Rush on BF1. I don't really have a good sense of how well it plays.

Filben

I will retreat from objectives and work my around to another flag
... to get shot or sniped from another angle. As you said it, people are everywhere. I tried so many times, there's always SOMEONE picking you off from a angle you cannot cover since you don't have 360° view. To some degree it's really like war... pure luck and randomness.

I thought Rush was awful in 4.

BFBC2 was definitely perfect. It was the game to first introduce Rush, and the only one to really do it right.

But to be fair, I've been incredibly little time into Rush on BF1. I don't really have a good sense of how well it plays.

Rush was pretty shitty in 4 but I remember it being slightly better than this. Then again I don't think I've played enough Rush in either game to have played on all the maps even once, let alone as both sides once lol.

And yeah you can definitely tell the maps in BFBC2 were designed with rush first and conquest second, BF3 vanilla was a weird mix (damavand peak, metro) and BF4 finally put the god mode as the lead mode again.

Mahonay

Banned
... to get shot or sniped from another angle. As you said it, people are everywhere. I tried so many times, there's always SOMEONE picking you off from a angle you cannot cover since you don't have 360° view. To some degree it's really like war... pure luck and randomness.
I will literally sit there and scan the environment before I move sometimes. Spotting anything that looks like a person. I'm also obsessive about finding points of cover. But yeah, sometimes you'll just get someone sniping you from an angle you couldn't have possibly predicted.

The only time I really rage, is when I get picked off by like two artillery trucks sitting on top of a mountain next to each other.

I will literally sit there and scan the environment before I move sometimes. Spotting anything that looks like a person. I'm also obsessive about finding points of cover. But yeah, sometimes you'll just get someone sniping you from an angle you couldn't have possibly predicted.

The only time I really rage, is when I get picked off by like two artillery trucks sitting on top of a mountain next to each other.

I think it's bullshit you're allowed to camp in your spawn zone with a vehicle tbh. Either lessen the kill zone for enemies or introduce like a 30 second timer when you spawn in to a vehicle at spawn where you have to get to the playable space first.

Also please let us takeoff in planes in the next BF ;_;

Mahonay

Banned
I think it's bullshit you're allowed to camp in your spawn zone with a vehicle tbh. Either lessen the kill zone for enemies or introduce like a 30 second timer when you spawn in to a vehicle at spawn where you have to get to the playable space first.

Also please let us takeoff in planes in the next BF ;_;
People who take armor and just camp in their own spawn almost always end up hurting their own team. I often find myself on the losing side when people take one of your team's tanks and just removes it completely from the playing field for almost the entire game. I fucking hate it. I do wish there was something in place to prevent people from doing this.

Filben

Did they fix the spawn system, btw? Or is it still a predictable mess where you spawn in plain sight without any cover infront of C (?) on Empire's Edge?

WillyFive

Did they fix the spawn system, btw? Or is it still a predictable mess where you spawn in plain sight without any cover infront of C (?) on Empire's Edge?

Nope, spawns are still broken. I can easily predict that I should keep firing after an enemy is down so that I can get his partner when he spawns in a second later.

cool, tsnp domination servers are already dead, cool

it'd be swell if they could be added for free for everyone now so I can actually play on the maps I paid for

Rocketz

I loved Rush in 3 and ever since then I've thought it was terrible. I won't play it anymore.

Is it bad gaming etiquette to join someone's game without first sending a party invite? I have quite a few GAF members on my friend's list. I often want to party up for a quick game or two (with no mic), but since I play with others very infrequently I'm not sure if just joining their game is frowned upon or not... Plus, I'm not sure if joining their game would put me in their squad, let alone the same team...

In any case, if any PS4 players want another potential teammate, please send me a friend invite! PSN name is JackScofield.

either my internet took a massive nosedive out of nowhere or something's off with the servers, getting loads of servers showing terrible ping even though I haven't had that issue before

Striker

Is it bad gaming etiquette to join someone's game without first sending a party invite? I have quite a few GAF members on my friend's list. I often want to party up for a quick game or two (with no mic), but since I play with others very infrequently I'm not sure if just joining their game is frowned upon or not... Plus, I'm not sure if joining their game would put me in their squad, let alone the same team...

In any case, if any PS4 players want another potential teammate, please send me a friend invite! PSN name is JackScofield.
I'm on your list and if you see me on feel free to join. I am constantly looking at the scoreboard so I would see if anyone I knew was there. My games earlier were sort of cut short due to horrible team play. Dudes literally lying prone next to an enemy who is shooting at me or another teammate. And no one spots. :(

The rank 10 medic rifle is ass, besides the 5 bullets per reload I just emptied an entire clip in to someone from midrange and they didn't die because some of the shots missed yet I was crouched and had the sights on them for each individual shot. High accuracy my ass.

EYEL1NER

I was going to go on a rant about every Conquest home base/spawn absolutely needing a flak gun, but then I spawned at the main spawn in Monte Grappe to use its flak gun to take out some deadly planes only to find it in perfect condition and undamaged, but unable to be used. No prompt at all to use it. So I don't know that I would want them to even try doing it. They would go in and add flak guns to every home spawn that doesn't have one, a half wouldn't work, and something else would wind up broken.

Went back to BF4 today after being away for a long time (I barely put my time into it the first go-around though anyway). I was having a blast with it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Finally hit Level 50 with all four infantry classes. Scout was the most fun because i have always struggled with sniping until i found the carbine versions of Gweher and SMILE and went around quickscoping people. Support was easy thanks to all the resupplies and repairs, but medic was the hardest because i just struggled with semi-auto weapons in 1v2 situations.

Another problem was that people dont wait for revives. Some lobbies were better than others but i was going entire sectors without reviving people and with tanks on every operations i decided to switch to HE crossbows but they only do like 8 damage per shot so the last 10 or so levels took like three days. I found that people play DLC frontlines are much more receptive to being revived so I'd recommend that mode to level up real quick, but it's such a clusterfuck you will spend most of them reviving people instead of actually fighting the enemy.

Had some great killstreaks with the ML1907 Trench, the autoloading extended and the RSC Factory but man i am so done with these shitty 5-20 round weapons. I like to play the objective and these weapons just wont do. Cant wait to go in tomorrow with my 60 round 92 star hellriegal and start cutting up fools left and right. Oh and be a nightmare to tanks. Assault players have been harassing me lately barely even letting me move up. Maybe ive just been stuck on bad teams but the moment i get in a tank people start sniping me with stationary weapons, k-bullets, anti-tank rockets, medics and support crossbow grenades and assault players suicide charging me. I still manage to go on some decent streaks but i have to repair it so much i cant even move up to the objective. sometimes i wonder where my teammates are.

Missed out on getting in on the CTE program for console with my internet being down all last month. Whatevs. At least I won't be tired of the maps when they release.

They opened it for more players yesterday. try again. you will get in.

And operations is baffling on how they do it and how they haven't fixed it really but I still manage to find a game within 20 seconds if I search for all.

The other day they had a 40 player operations Quickmatch icon on the main menu. I nearly had a heart attack thinking i would be able to set it as a favorite list, but nope. it was a one time thing and they changed it the next day to fucking hardcore Domination. Just give us the damn 40 player quickplay option.

I'm trying to play Devil's Anvil (french operation) for a medal where it's the last stage and I can't find a single 40 or 64 player game. why did you do this dice

BC2 rush had objective damage, collapsible mcoms, C4 vehicles, long range attacking from tanks and rpgs and other explosives, more open (wider) maps in general with more cover and less visibility. you just had to be more spread and open to defend because the attackers had more options. it kind of tipped the scales towards attacking as a few good coordinated attackers could beat all but the best defenders.

EYEL1NER

Went back to BF4 (didn't put TOO many hours into it after getting it last year with all the maps) and it seems like a ton of stuff takes more skill. Like, it's definitely harder than BF1 for me to jump right into because there are so many more vehicles (that respawn a lot faster), a lot of good snipers, more open area. If it weren't for the constant stream of new challenges and stuff in BF1, is sink a lot more time into 4. Don't get me wrong, I do like BF1. I have played it A LOT since getting it last month though and BF4 is a refreshing change of pace.
One thing I do like better in BF1 than 4 is the unlock system. I was confused when I started up BF1 and had to hop online to figure out how the unlock system worked, but at least I have more options quicker than BF4.

EDIT: Another thing I like about BF1 over BF4: I don't get dropped into custom servers using QuickPlay. I hate the nervousness that comes along with getting plopped into a server that says "USA Only! If you have tags from other regions, you get banned. Whining and complaining gets ignored!" when I have a Philippines dogtag set. I mean, I'm American, white, on the East Coast with fantastic ping to a lot of the servers I've joined, but I still am on edge knowing someone could be like "I don't like this guy. Non-USA tag? Banned."
Something from BF4 that I forgot how much I liked: Commander mode. I forgot how much of that I played in my little time with the game last year. Enough to be on my way to my fourth service star when starting the game and now almost at my fifth. I just played a match where we won 400-0 and my score at 11,000 as a commander was better than everyone on my team minus the first place player. It's especially fun taking out whole squads with a cruise missile. I've been unopposed as a commander tonight too, but I do remember what that was like having an enemy commander from before.

Caayn

Just bought the premium pass so that I could the operations with the French army. However it's extremely difficult to get into a match that's populated with sufficient people to play the operation :(

I regret purchasing the premium pass. Why is there no server browser for operations?

cooldawn

Is there a gaf clan for ps4? also does nobody play conquest? Im sitting here refreshing even with all server regions selected and only two rooms show 5/64 players. Was the drop off that bad?
Yeah...what's up with that?

Only in the last couple of weeks, especially on weekends, there's absolutely no chance to matchmake in to Conquest. Last night and right now, Failed! Is this because of Premium Friends? It's absolutely not because of the amount of people playing. Even if I scan it's usually just Premium servers.

It's a horrible experience right now. Something has changed.

WillyFive

Just bought the premium pass so that I could the operations with the French army. However it's extremely difficult to get into a match that's populated with sufficient people to play the operation :(

I regret purchasing the premium pass. Why is there no server browser for operations?

Because despite all the amazing work the tech people and underlings do at DICE, the decision makers at the company are idiots.

EYEL1NER

Double XP this weekend has been great. I just hopped on to try to get the community mission for medics (free medic pack for 50k points as medic) and the weekly medal challenge for Operations (play an Ops match, win an Ops match, capture 10 flags in Ops). Two operations matches in (a defeat, and a win that led to a defeat in part two) and I had accomplished both (I had already knocked out part one and two of the Operations medal, so I just needed the two flag caps). That first match, a loss, saw me going 30-30, which may be a lot of deaths, but it's more kills than I've ever gotten too. I took third place on my team and got a TON of points. I went up from just over level two as a medic to way into the four range.

That first match was a stupid loss though: Most times on Scar when I win as defender, the attackers push us back to the last spot and we either hold them there or stop them early in Amiens. So I figured, this is a perfect chance to play as attacker and cap flags easily until we get to the back-end. Nope, they held us off at the third territory because it seemed like half my team was sitting way back sniping and no one switched to smoke. Like, I was a medic and realized "We can't push into that old church. But maybe if I swap my grenade launcher rounds to smoke grenades..." And suddenly we were able to push in! Or at least a few of us were able to finally make it in, with no backup from the snipe squads, and we'd eventually get slaughtered in there. Towards the end I'd just sit behind snipers and launch smoke in front of their face, wait for them to move to a new spot, and do the same. When I ran out of smokes, I'd drop a med crate right in front of their sniper shield-wall thing and block their view. Pfft, we should have at least had that territory and the next one easy...

I still hate how it's so difficult to view stats or after-action reports. No after-action reports on the app, and none of my matches from tonight are showing up yet on a stat-tracking site.

I'm kind of glad I couldn't get BF4 to work for me earlier though. It was hard-crashing to the dashboard, wouldn't load into a server when it wasn't crashing, and then wouldn't start after a console reboot. I wanted to play it, especially when I saw there were populated expansion servers, but I would have spent all night on it and missed out on this BF1 session. Oh well, probably need to play some Rush. I knocked out my Summer Missions mission on the first or second day with three wins, and verified that I got the ribbon after each one, but I want to get a couple more just to be safe.
Wonder what gamemode the next Summer Mission will requires wins in will be. Probably not Conquest, but that would be nice for me, since I mainly play it and would get the wins quick and easy and then not have to worry about it anymore.

EDIT: Just had a kickass Suez Conquest match a bit ago, where I was the Brits spawning from the left side of the map, but we held C until getting within 150 points of the win. I'm so used to the C being overran and the Brits being pushed back to B, whether I'm the attacker or the defender. We lost C, then lost B, but we're gaining kills quick enough that we still won. I got a good amount of kills and was doing kickass too. I was like "Man, I'm really starting to love this M1907 SL Sweeper," I was getting some amazing kills with it, got the service star in that match. Then as soon as the match is over, I hit enough points for a new Battlepacks and get the "Deadlock" skin! I hate not having a skin for a weapon I'm currently using, and most of my Medic/self-loading skins I've gotten are for the Selbstlader and RSC1907, which I won't have for a while (level 10 is a ways off still for the Selbstlader and I need a lot more Bing Rewards points to get enough MS Points to get Premium). I was really happy to get that skin.

LORANT92

Deadlock's the three colored striped skin, isn't it? Really wish they made all skin variants available for all weapons, some of them look downright stupid :(

At least the DLC skins look nice, although I wish there were more differences between the Distinguished skins. The skins in the next DLC look amazing though.

EYEL1NER

Deadlock's the three colored striped skin, isn't it? Really wish they made all skin variants available for all weapons, some of them look downright stupid :(

At least the DLC skins look nice, although I wish there were more differences between the Distinguished skins. The skins in the next DLC look amazing though.
Yeah, Deadlock is the tri-color striped skin.

Didn't get my dogtag for the second Summer Mission yet but I did get an XP boost (didn't get one last time). Hopefully I get the tag soon.
EDIT: Just did my three wins in Frontlines real quick (two in the forest, one in Amiens), so I should be done with the Summer Missions. Here's hoping the rewards unlock like they should for me. I'm not too worried yet about not having the second dogtag; I didn't receive the first one until the day they said they'd give it out, despite others getting it earlier than that. Crazy enough though, I started the evening with one Frontlines victory ribbon, so I knew I'd be good to stop at four. I've got five right now though. The first match I jumped into was on the losing side; I selected my squad and saw the map only to find that we had been pushed back to the MCOMs and both were being armed. On a whim, I decided to try switching teams and it actually let me. I was alive long enough to drop a med crate and run out of the bunker only to get shot and killed. The game ends, I have 0 points, and it didn't give me the Frontlines ribbon (Ribbon of Vercingetori) in the after-action report. But I played (including that one) five matches of Frontlines just now and won four of them (including that one); one of the five I played was a crushing loss. Whatever though, I'll take an extra.

M52B28

Banned
Does anyone notice that the game allows for you to play with bolt action and single action rifles in all classes from time to time?

Yeah, Deadlock is the tri-color striped skin.

Didn't get my dogtag for the second Summer Mission yet but I did get an XP boost (didn't get one last time). Hopefully I get the tag soon.
EDIT: Just did my three wins in Frontlines real quick (two in the forest, one in Amiens), so I should be done with the Summer Missions. Here's hoping the rewards unlock like they should for me. I'm not too worried yet about not having the second dogtag; I didn't receive the first one until the day they said they'd give it out, despite others getting it earlier than that. Crazy enough though, I started the evening with one Frontlines victory ribbon, so I knew I'd be good to stop at four. I've got five right now though. The first match I jumped into was on the losing side; I selected my squad and saw the map only to find that we had been pushed back to the MCOMs and both were being armed. On a whim, I decided to try switching teams and it actually let me. I was alive long enough to drop a med crate and run out of the bunker only to get shot and killed. The game ends, I have 0 points, and it didn't give me the Frontlines ribbon (Ribbon of Vercingetori) in the after-action report. But I played (including that one) five matches of Frontlines just now and won four of them (including that one); one of the five I played was a crushing loss. Whatever though, I'll take an extra.
I didn't get my dog tags for the 2nd summer missions as well. Planning to do the last summer mission before the week ends. I just hope I get on a good team. When I tried earlier everyone kept trying to switch to the winning team during the match.

Top Bottom