• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [Impressions from Nasu]

I will never trust tweets from random people who @ companies and use hashtags in their posts. That screens of marketing or runaway fandom to me or people overly excited at the opportunity to play something early.

Me too man, I don't care to hear people who were wined and dined by Konami defending the games shortcomings.

Shin-Ra

Patch Notes (ver. 1.01)

• Added cardboard box [Castlevania]
  • Added cardboard box [Frito-lay]
  • Added cardboard box [Sony]
  • Added cardboard box [Suntory]
  • Added cardboard box [Uniqlo]

No Hayter is the best thing ever. Guy always sounded forced with his VA work.

I'm perfectly fine with him not being Big Boss(since he never should've had the same voice as Solid in the first place) but if Solid ever returns and Hayter isn't with then I am going to be severely disappointed.

Spaghetti

it's nice having a lot of the twitter testimonials talk about doing stealth runs. it's like people finally understand mgs is a stealth series you don't want to shootbang your way through.

Tremendous, sounds like if you go for 100% completion you'll wind up playing the game for about 15-20 hours (assuming some bits are harder than the main mission). I saw earlier they'll have Arkham styled World Leader boards for level completion times, something I desperately wanted but did not get in Peace Walker, pretty awesome. You could still question asking for more for the upscale version but 20 digital and 30 for a physical copy I think sounds very reasonable (as long as there's some cool Shinkawa art included with the NA release).

Ishida

Banned
I'm perfectly fine with him not being Big Boss(since he never should've had the same voice as Solid in the first place) but if Solid ever returns and Hayter isn't with then I am going to be severely disappointed.

If they were gonna get rid of Hayter, they should've gone with John Cygan (Solidus). Or hell, even Richard Doyle (Big Boss in MGS4).

The lines I've heard from Kiefer's performance have been absolutely terrible.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
And this

Unless the animations are completely different to what I've seen so far in Ground Zeroes, I can't believe this.

They're pretty damn good. Maybe not "best in the industry" but
ku-xlarge.gif

Ishida

Banned
I love Doyle as The Fury and old Big Boss but he didn't sound right as a younger Snake in "Mesal Gear Solid" for Ape Escape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7d0MsD4wU8

No, he didn't. But in MGSV he would not be playing an older Snake, he would be playing an older Big Boss. Doyle is an extraordinary voice actor (Fell in love with his work on the Legacy of Kain games).

John Cygan would've been my first choice for Big Boss on MGSV, though...

Nobody buys Kojima's "motion capture" bullshit excuse. Everyone knows he just did it to have a big celebrity on the game.

BBboy20

Considering how Kojima treated Hayter recently, I wouldn't be surprised he'll return.

Though, to be fair, able to use the same actor and caricature for a different character thanks to a plot detail that doesn't sublimely feel like you're playing a different character can be interpreted as something a bit creative.

I think the bigger question though really should be: why are they making a major sequel in the past where the main story arc is already concluded? Like, we really should be moving on from the Patriots Story Arc and with a still young looking Big Boss and with the actor playing the Snake persona for so long, it would seem only fair to let him voice him until we get to the point where an old and young Snake collide...but apparently Kojima's luster for Hollywood is making him impatient or something (which perhaps it would probably be better if V just simply take place after 4...but Kojima probably want do some grand vision of his previous work despite plenty of us fans are both getting exhausted and impatient at this grand-expensive irrelevant plotting and want literally move on).

Sorry to be off topic...That's a cute Rise-chan avatar, but I don't recognize where it comes from...Is it Soejima art or fan art or what?

It's cool, man! The art in the avatar can be found in the manga, but I believe a fan modifies the art in one way or another? I can't remember, exactly. However, you can find more here. :)

SOMEONE START A GOD DAMN PETITION! No boxes?! Man, what the hell?

The last petition led to a $40 next-gen physical copy of Ground Zeroes, which has everyone up in arms, so... maybe go about this a bit differently! ;-)

Sub_Level

John Cygan would've been my first choice for Big Boss on MGSV, though...

That would have been perfect. Especially if he had done MGS3 back in the day too.

Maybe Hayter can still pull off a good voice and just needs to be given different direction. Felt like he actively detracted from Peace Walker though. Interested in Kiefer's performance.

Ishida

Banned
That would have been perfect. Especially if he had done MGS3 back in the day too.

Maybe Hayter can still pull off a good voice and just needs to be given different direction. Felt like he actively detracted from Peace Walker though. Interested in Kiefer's performance.

I've always felt that Hayter can easily go back to his original Snake voice. I believe the problem lies in the voice acting direction. Besides, I don't think it would be easy to voice a character with an already rough voice, and then being told: "You have to make it rougher, older, like Snake has smoked 60 cigarrettes a day".

He gets bashed a lot around here, but I don't think he got much liberty on how to make Naked Snake's voice.

Nobody buys Kojima's "motion capture" bullshit excuse. Everyone knows he just did it to have a big celebrity on the game.

As far as I know Kiefer is the only celebrity in the game, and Kojima has to date passed on any celebrities in his games prior, not including the great Phil LaMarr, who isn't really what I would think of as a posh celebrity. I didn't really like Hayter in Peace Walker and thought he was shaky in 4 as well, a change was needed and Kiefer has played this type of role a million times before, I'm excited for it.

If that happened it would be an absolute dealbreaker for me. The disappointment would be palpable.

If they were gonna get rid of Hayter, they should've gone with John Cygan (Solidus). Or hell, even Richard Doyle (Big Boss in MGS4).

The lines I've heard from Kiefer's performance have been absolutely terrible.

Well, what do you expect? Kiefer isn't a voice actor, and he's not much a film actor. He has a certain presence that is hard to deny, but that's mostly unconnected to his actual performance and their respective quality. SinceI just made a Die Hard thread in OT, I'll add that while Bruce Willis can carry certain films, he's not the greatest actor (he has some good work, much more than Kiefer), but you certainly wouldn't want him either as a voice actor. Same thing with someone like Harrison Ford. You can swoon because it is a person you've heard of, or you enjoyed their crappy TV show or acting roles 20 years ago, but for their vocal performances? No.

And, this may just be me out of the loop, but did people really complain about Hayter's work in MGS2 and MGS3? I only heard complaints about him in MGS4, and they just didn't like his gravelly take on Snake's rapid aging and throat/lung cancer or smoking effects after years and years of wetwork. I guess MGS3's voice work is too similar to MGS1 and MGS2, but did people think there was a nosedive in quality from MGS1 to MGS2?

Sub_Level

i can't remember if you could listen to them on the go in peace walker, but it seems you can in ground zeroes

Nope, you had to stare at a screen of a tape. PSP version was cool because you could just chill on a lawn chair with a cold beverage of your choosing and listen to them via earbuds...

Squire

Banned
See, second opinions help.

They do, but you don't want them from settings like Nasu where they're conditioned to be positive.

What the guys from GI said was fine and measured. Go watch the video they did.

And this

Unless the animations are completely different to what I've seen so far in Ground Zeroes, I can't believe this.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Seen a handful of tweets like that tonight and it's like, "Okay, come on."

boom

knew it

though the truth is probably somewhere in between and that's fine

truth should have been reported by the so called journalists who broke the story

No Hayter is the best thing ever. Guy always sounded forced with his VA work.

I'll still take that over Kiefer.

Hes not a voice actor, he's just a big name

And Hayter had to force his last performance because Kojima made Snake friggin 60 years old!

With a little actual direction (like Kiefer is getting from Kojima), Hayter could have channeled MGS1 Snake (or better), instead of being stuck in a booth all day reading his lines by himself.

ALM5252

And, this may just be me out of the loop, but did people really complain about Hayter's work in MGS2 and MGS3? I only heard complaints about him in MGS4, and they just didn't like his gravelly take on Snake's rapid aging and throat/lung cancer or smoking effects after years and years of wetwork. I guess MGS3's voice work is too similar to MGS1 and MGS2, but did people think there was a nosedive in quality from MGS1 to MGS2?

I prefer his Naked Snake voice (MGS3) to his Solid Snake voice (MGS1 / 2)
His Naked Snake voice felt like it had more personality, and his Solid Snake voice had much more of a serious, smart, and confident tone. They really matched the character he was playing.

But I still prefer Naked Snakes voice. Plus that was the one he used for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it worked, Lol

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. Just saw the ending. Goosebumps. Disbelief. Shock. *reboots game* I’m going back in.

It’s lovely to see how intense @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN’s passion is for proper, epic, emotionally driven, high-end productions.

I’d like to point out that this game is not a 2 hour game… Ground Zeroes is a great demonstration of the FOX Engine.

Every soldier in Ground Zeroes has a unique appearance. Their faces, taken from real photos, appear only once per game.

Finished GZ for the first time in about 90 minutes. Total game completion? 9%. I think that tells you all you need to know.

To finish mgsv in 2 hours is like going out for dinner with charlize theron and take her to mcdonalds.

After completing the main mission and a side mission in 4 hours the game says I’m at 10% completion. Sounds good to me

Btw, the frame rate is butter smooth on PS4.

I’m only playing on PS4, but I think Mr Kojima has already said that the PS4 version is smoother than the One version.

Get Ground Zeroes on PS4, not XB1. Way better visuals, frame rate, everything… I believe @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN said so himself.
Fox Engine’s facial animations are the best in the industry. Ending to MGSV:GZ is extremely impressive and emotional.

ibxWRY0YFCfU1n.gif

Shogun1337

Impressions

Play Magazine’s Sam Smith was more precise on what kind of completion percentage you’re going to by finishing the game in 90 minutes:
"Finished GZ for the first time in about 90 minutes. Total game completion? 9%. I think that tells you all you need to know."

Only an asshole would truly believe that Kojima planned on shipping a 2 hour video game. Just face facts that there's plenty, plenty more hours to be had in Ground Zeroes than what these shoddy reviewers have led you to believe.

-Winnie-

So I gotta wonder, with people being shocked by the ending, does that mean the ending isn't just what we've seen from the The Phantom Pain trailers? I mean, anyone who's been following the game should know how it's "supposed" to end.

Spaghetti

my guess about what's so shocking about the ending:

paz wasn't the only one with a bomb inside them. chico goes boom.

MormaPope

Banned
So I gotta wonder, with people being shocked by the ending, does that mean the ending isn't just what we've seen from the The Phantom Pain trailers? I mean, anyone who's been following the game should know how it's "supposed" to end.

The biggest mindfuck I think that's possible is seeing another Big Boss in the distance doing something and then our Big Boss getting knocked out by a explosion. Goes black, credits, Ocelot call.

We know that Big Boss is going to fall into a coma, but I'm guessing something's going to happen to
Paz or Chico. Or both of'em. Not to mention the destruction of Mother Base and loads of soldiers eating it. Big Boss losing an arm will probably be pretty gnarly, too.

Top Bottom