• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

TissueBox

Cool, thanks.

I'll be taking the dive alongside you guys simply because the world needs more Yoko Taro & Platinum - paying full price is a small bargain if it helps with that.

Also I'm shit scared of spoilers.

Niice welcome welcome lol!

Once enough time has passed and a handful of people have finished the game someone could put up a spoiler thread I guess.

Finally sat down and tried the demo. Was gonna get this regardless but man it was so good. Going to wait to see if the PC version is indeed coming march or so days later if not will grab the console one.

Can't wait to play this.

Miggy

Sweet Jesus.. Those two gifs in the OP... WHEW!

339.png

I hope that boss idea Yoko Taro came up with is in this. A boss that purposefully lowers the framerate sounds like a fun idea that so many will get enraged by especially when the rest of the game looks so smooth.

Finalow

I honesty don't know whether this is a spoiler or common knowledge, I've only played the demo, and seen the trailers. I've not seen the game or played it. But all the robot enemies look hella like that guy (Yoko).
if you're talking about the picture I posted, Yoko Taro there (E3 2015) was dressed as Emil, a character from the first Nier game.

Crayon

I feel like a sucker waiting for the united states launch. :3 I don't mind reading your excited impression since the demo broke my blindness on the game.

I didn't have a chance to play the demo, is this game supposed to be "hardcore" ie difficult like an action/shoot em up? I know there's difficulty settings, but is Normal normal or more like Hard in most games?

MikeDown

Banned
I didn't have a chance to play the demo, is this game supposed to be "hardcore" ie difficult like an action/shoot em up? I know there's difficulty settings, but is Normal normal or more like Hard in most games?
Normal is fairly easy in my opinion, but hard is too difficult in most settings. Almost little to frustrating, found myself dying alot in the demo. Isn't MGR:R type hard though.

DKL

I'm under the impression that Very Hard is the only actual thing that will nail people's balls to the wall because it's OHKO in a game that looks like it's going to be bullet hell central.

Otherwise, game seems kinda generous on lower difficulties because invul frames are plentiful and you even have the auto item use stuff from MGR.

But I can't really say this for sure since people will have different experiences with action games, but I don't think the game will be as difficult as something like Ni Oh, for example.

But who knows, we haven't actually played the game yet, so I don't know what scenarios they'll throw at us :v

Normal is just that: normal.

The demo isn't going anywhere, you have plenty time to test it out.

I'll double dip, way I see it if I play nier now then I can just sink my teeth into torment which is sure to last way longer and until mass effect. And once nier comes to america I'll buy it out of pure support. My wallet hates me ._.

Quick yes/no question: does difficulty setting affect content/endings/etc in any way? If we don't know yet, does Platinum have a precedent for it?

Also, a few demo thoughts since I broke down and gave it a try:

-I'm a little disappointed that they reused Tara Platt. She did admirably as Zero, but I've always been iffy on her. I think Karen Strassman's Phi voice from Zero Escape would have been great.
-Similarly, I wish 9S had a cuter voice. He sounds too old. If they're going to reuse VAs, they should have used Spike Spencer! He even pilots a mech!
-This is my first Platinum game and the combat is fucking me up. I hate that counterattacks can leave you vulnerable, especially against bosses and groups of enemies. And it's hard to aim the robro while slicing dudes up.
-The friendship between 2B and 9s feels rushed. They seemingly go from total strangers to tearful sacrifices way too quickly. It's not hard to rationalize it, but it still feels cheap.

pls no spoilerinos

DKL

Quick yes/no question: does difficulty setting affect content/endings/etc in any way? If we don't know yet, does Platinum have a precedent for it?

The normal practice in their games is that you get cooler shit to play with when you go on the harder difficulties or do something challenging.

Like, in Bayonetta 2, you get to play Jeanne if you platinum all the stages on normal or above.

(but I might be remembering things wrong... my impression is that they simply give you more tools to play with whenever you go upwards)

For this game, I'm just assuming that it'll be the same since I think people will rage if they hide a true ending or something behind Very Hard lol

The normal practice in their games is that you get cooler shit to play with when you go on the harder difficulties or do something challenging.

Like, in Bayonetta 2, you get to play Jeanne if you platinum all the stages on normal or above.

(but I might be remembering things wrong... my impression is that they simply give you more tools to play with whenever you go upwards)

For this game, I'm just assuming that it'll be the same since I think people will rage if they hide a true ending or something behind Very Hard lol

So normally new game plus really makes you try the harder options. With their games being super replayable, but being an rpg I don't know if that's still true or not. They've never attempted open world, and the game having multiple endings might affect the normal new game plus design they used to have. So, I guess I'll say it SHOULD have something for the harder settings.

We don't know & no, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for Taro.

I wouldn't either, but he did have mercy in Nier.

I can probably handle Hard Mode with some practice and grinding, but I think Normal would be the comfiest way to suffer Yoko Taro's wild ride. Hopefully if a bar is set, that's where they'll leave it.

Oh SHIT the free themes are dope

Downloaded the 2B one. Theme is basic but it's getting me way more hyped for the game for whatever reason

This music!

Jiraiza

Oh SHIT the free themes are dope

Downloaded the 2B one. Theme is basic but it's getting me way more hyped for the game for whatever reason

This music!

I found 9S' theme to be pretty nice. 2B's is pretty good too, though.

Time to sleep and energize myself for a 5 day marathon playthrough on stream. My hot pockets and spinach pasta are ready.

Top Bottom