• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal CCG is in open beta and on Steam

Nordicus

Time for some card spoilers
JOomO0S.png
dUFZ9t6.png
aBp4xIc.png
PCXOmLQ.png
ZybKuNT.png

Some details on the functions:

- You only draw 1 Praxis Outlaw at a time

- You do not steal opponent's Entomb effects with Shadowlands Feaster

Wok

Changelog.

1.17 Patch Notes
New Campaign: Jekk's Bounty
Jekk’s Bounty is now live! Join forces with Jekk, the infamous bounty hunter, as you track down some of the most dangerous criminals and creatures across the world.

Unlock Jekk's Bounty with 20,000 Gold or 1,000 Gems.

Earn four copies of 16 all-new cards as you complete 16 unique missions.

You can preview all 16 cards in Jekk’s Bounty in game!

Features
Guest ModeNew players joining Eternal no longer require a registered account upfront. Instead, we’ll ask you for that information after you’ve gotten a chance to check out the game.

Existing users should see no difference in their login flow.

Social ImprovementsWe’ve upgraded a lot of back-end functionality with the friends list. If you come across bugs or issues with the social systems, please report them using the in-game feedback.UI

Various UI improvements and updates throughout the client.

Collection progression in the profile has been updated to include incremental progress.

Your current rank and points are now displayed in Ranked deck select.

You can now preview your current rewards, the rewards for the next rank and find information for when the current season ends by tool-tipping your Ranked or Draft badge.

Victory/Defeat progress celebrations at the end of versus games have been updated.

Gem purchase flow improvements.

Card Updates

Sandstorm Titan - Sandstorm Titan no longer has a flowing scarf as part of his VFX package.

Whispers of the Void - The Tormentor now has a suitable entrance when he enters the void.

Bug Fixes
Client Fixes

General
Fixed several card animation curves on the playmat. Cards should transition to and from various zones more cleanly now.
Android/iOS
Rarely, making a purchase on Android would prevent further input, gating you on that screen. This should no longer occur.
Android users should now get their 3 free packs immediately after their first purchase rather than at a delayed time.
Closing chat windows should now correctly dismiss the onscreen keyboard.
UI
Gauntlet now correctly celebrates earning Bronze from Unranked.
Rarely, an opponent’s name would appear as a different player on the playmat. This should no longer occur.
The double damage highlight on a unit’s strength now highlights the number correctly instead of covering it.
Rarely your rank point display after a game would show the delta from your previous game rather than the one you just completed. This has been fixed.
Create All should now properly appear under your deck list if you have any unowned cards in your deck list.
Gameplay
Relic weapon attacks with overwhelm now correctly redirect the damage to the opponent if the target became a cudgel in response to the attack.
Stolen units that return to your side should now go to your void if you’re at the unit cap.
All Fate triggers should now trigger after Echo if a card drawn has both.

[/list]Card Fixes

Flight Lieutenant now has a hanger for Flying.

Minimizing the selection for Diplomatic Seal and then cancelling the action should no longer adversely affect the Sigil count for future Sigil draws from your deck.

Argenport Ringmaster will no longer lose Infiltrate if it fails to play units due to Reality Warden.

Argenport Ringmaster will no longer play 0 or negative health units with its infiltrate ability.

Jarrall Iceheart’s infiltrate trigger now has VFX to better message what is happening.

Xenan Cultist should no longer give +2/+2 to cudgels if the unit dying was turned into a cudgel.

The -3 strength from Mark of Shame should no longer apply to copies of the unit.

Opponents should now correctly get a response window to Feln Bloodcaster’s ultimate activation.

Damage that occurs to the opponent while Stonescar Leviathan’s entomb is triggering should now correctly occur after their health has been set. An easy example of this is sacrificing the Leviathan using Burn Out and targeting your opponent should now leave them at 2 health rather than 7.

Having multiple Vara, Fate-Touched attempt to play units from the void at the same time should no longer allow you to select the same unit for each Vara, causing selections to fail.

Wok

I had saved 20 K gold by grinding Gauntlet last weekend. I would not advise to do so, it takes from 6 to 10 hours depending on your winrate.

So I have bought the campaign released today with gold and we get lots of funny cards, including 4 copies of each new legendary card. The last boss, Jekk, was especially difficult.

Nordicus

The last boss, Jekk, was especially difficult.
I didn't have trouble with Jekk, but that was partially due to some draw luck, partially due to watching a stream do the fight before so I knew the challenge of the fight

Gotta make sure enemy board is sufficiently cleared before you break his relic weapon.

So far the only card I've really toyed with is Quarry

3bNle3N.jpg

I gotta say, having a good chance of drawing a half-decent card for 1 extra mana, or simply shifting through two bad ones, is not a bad deal.

Wanna make a midrange Stonescar sacrifice deck with Bait (and Stonescar Leviathan since the patch made it better with Burn Out...), or Argenport deck with Copperhall Bailiff at some point.

Nordicus

Wanna make a midrange Stonescar sacrifice deck with Bait (and Stonescar Leviathan since the patch made it better with Burn Out...), or Argenport deck with Copperhall Bailiff at some point.
Now I finally made such a deck, and I have no delusions that it's particularly great, but the deck is humorous in how it can shit on Rakano with even slightly slow start, and jito decks
4 Inspire (Set1 #129)
4 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
4 Crownwatch Paladin (Set1 #139)
4 Lethrai Ranger (Set1 #270)
3 Paladin Oathbook (Set1 #140)
4 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
4 Amethyst Acolyte (Set1 #276)
4 Copperhall Bailiff (Set1001 #5)
4 Plague (Set1 #274)
4 Auric Runehammer (Set1 #166)
4 Silverwing Avenger (Set1 #167)
2 Hone (Set1001 #6)
3 Throne Warden (Set1 #514)
9 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
6 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Argenport Banner (Set0 #64)
4 Emerald Monument (Set1 #422)
4 Seat of Vengeance (Set0 #55)

Basically, the game plan is to let my offensive/warcry enemies keep getting bigger while my plagues and attack/stat lowering units reduce my opponent board's strength to irrelevance.

Lethrai Ranger, Inspire and Hone are cards that I'm not sure whether I'll keep using for long tho, might get changed out entirely

Wok

This Burn Queen deck using Quarry is really insane. It won the ETS weekly on February 18th and outplays many decks encountered in Master league.

Quarry fixes one of the big issues which I had faced with Burn Queen, that is drawing a sigil in 2 consecutive turns which would stall the aggressive play.

3 Flame Blast (Set1 #2)
2 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
3 Grenadin Drone (Set1 #5)
4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
2 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
4 Rapid Shot (Set1 #259)
2 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
4 Torch (Set1 #8)
4 Argenport Instigator (Set1 #268)
2 Kaleb's Favor (Set0 #3)
2 Quarry (Set1001 #15)
2 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
2 Cabal Countess (Set1 #506)
4 Champion of Chaos (Set1 #402)
3 Bandit Queen (Set1 #389)
3 Impending Doom (Set1 #286)
4 Obliterate (Set1 #48)
8 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
6 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
3 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)
4 Seat of Chaos (Set0 #60)
4 Stonescar Banner (Set1 #419)
----------------------------------------
2 Vara's Favor (Set0 #35)
1 Flame Blast (Set1 #2)
2 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
2 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
2 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
4 Umbren Reaper (Set1 #299)
2 Quarry (Set1001 #15)

Nordicus

This Burn Queen deck using Quarry is really insane. It won the ETS weekly on February 18th and outplays many decks encountered in Master league.

Quarry fixes one of the big issues which I had faced with Burn Queen, that is drawing a sigil in 2 consecutive turns which would stall the aggressive play.
So many 2-ofs and 3-ofs!

I assume Quarry enables that kind of deckbuilding

Wok

Now I finally made such a deck, and I have no delusions that it's particularly great, but the deck is humorous in how it can shit on Rakano with even slightly slow start, and jito decks

Basically, the game plan is to let my offensive/warcry enemies keep getting bigger while my plagues and attack/stat lowering units reduce my opponent board's strength to irrelevance.

Lethrai Ranger, Inspire and Hone are cards that I'm not sure whether I'll keep using for long tho, might get changed out entirely

The deck is hilarious. I love it when the opponents has no damage and loses what should have been a trade because of it. :D

Nordicus

The deck is hilarious. I love it when the opponents has no damage and loses what should have been a trade because of it. :D
Oh yeah. Just last match I got to completely remove the attack value of Steward of the Past and just start slamming units past it.

People don't usually play minor debuffs like this deck does, because in most cases one such debuff rarely makes a difference, but my argenport deck keeps stacking them until they actually count.

Wok

Oh yeah. Just last match I got to completely remove the attack value of Steward of the Past and just start slamming units past it.

People don't usually play minor debuffs like this deck does, because in most cases one such debuff rarely makes a difference, but my argenport deck keeps stacking them until they actually count.

Or you can also get a unit from 4 into the 1-3 attack range and then "suffocate" it.

Nordicus

Or you can also get a unit from 4 into the 1-3 attack range and then "suffocate" it.
Yup, Bailiff + Suffocate combo is what gave me the idea for the deck. For the rare case where you don't have the sufficient attack lowering stuff, you Vanquish instead.

Wok

Yup, Bailiff + Suffocate combo is what gave me the idea for the deck. For the rare case where you don't have the sufficient attack lowering stuff, you Vanquish instead.

It is pretty fun to play and very unique. Congrats!

Nordicus

Scarlatch has been announcing some balance changes
Scarlatch has stated there will be an explanation on some of the changes with the patch notes tomorrow.
Scarlatch also said "There are three buffs and one nerf left, which we'll save for tomorrow."

Cobalt Monument
now transmutes into a 4/4 flyer (buffed from 3/4 flyer)
Withering Witch is 1/1 (nerfed from 1/4)
Staff of Stories is 0/4 (nerfed from 0/5)
Steward of the Past costs 4SS (nerfed from 4S)
Champion of Wisdom is 4/4 TTTT: +2/+2 PPPP: Flying (buffed from 3/3 TTTT: +3/+3, PPPP: Flying)
Thunderstrike Dragon is 5/6 (buffed from 5/5)
Frontier Jito costs 2F (nerfed from 1F)
Champion of Chaos is FFF: +1/0 and Overwhelm, SSS: +1/0 and Deadly (nerfed from FFF: +1/+1 and Overwhelm, SSS: +1/+1 and Deadly)

Scarlatch on the Withering Witch nerf: "Withering Witch has more non-intuitive rules interactions than we'd like to see in high tier 1; though the card does add a novel tool to Feln's toolbox. This change preserves its core functionality, while pulling back on its ability to lock up the board on its own."

Previously announced card changes:
Scaly Gruan costs 2P (buffed from 3P)
Jarrall Iceheart is 6/7 (buffed from 6/6)
Subvert costs 4SS (nerfed from 4S)
Azindel's Gift costs 7SSS (nerfed from 7S)
Soulfire Drake costs 5FFF (nerfed from 5FF)
Umbren Reaper costs 5SSS (nerfed from 5SS)
Explorer Emeritus is 0/2 (buffed from 0/1)
Crownwatch Paladin is 2/1 (nerfed from 2/2)

I'm so down for all the changes that hit Stonescar. Champion of Chaos was way too good at surviving against small units, and Steward of the Past should have been SS from day 1.

Either Soulfire Drake or Umbren Reaper getting nerfed like that wouldn't matter much, but both getting more strict mana requirements may leave a mark.

Nordicus

Aight, the patch is out, any changed cards that you have crafted at any point previously will be refunded for full crafting cost

Apparently I crafted all my Soulfire Drakes so that's 12.8k stone for me.

Here's also the rest of the cards that were changed, and the reasoning for all of them.
Tundra Explorer - 3 cost 3/3 instead of 2 cost 2/2. This change makes Tundra Explorer a better blocker and more likely to live long enough to explore more than once.

Windshaper - 4 cost 2/4 instead of 5 cost 2/5. Part of a general increased emphasis on some of Primal's strengths, as well as helping enable an attractive low rarity build-around strategy.

Spire Chaplain - 3/3 instead of 3/2. The only non-Primal buff in this patch, Spire Chaplain is a fun card that will hopefully open up more diversity among midrange options.

Wok

The cards which I want to craft in priority are:
  • Statuary Maiden
  • The Great Parliament
  • Marshal Ironthorn
  • Mystic Ascendant
  • Icaria, the Liberator
Any idea whether some of them are getting less important for this patch?

Wok

Anyone else experienced a big spike of Kalis decks on ladder lately?

Yep. I think it is because it was featured on Nexus.

By the way, I have reached Master League in Ranked by spamming this deck in Diamond 1.

I was stuck in Diamond 1 and then faced AngryChicken who was using this deck, so I decided to try it again, and it works wonder.

AngryChicken was 7th at ETS last Saturday.

uBNSIGY.png

Nordicus

Yep. I think it is because it was featured on Nexus.

Motherfucker...

That deck can be so irritating to try and tech against.
By the way, I have reached Master League in Ranked by spamming this deck in Diamond 1.
Wow, so they actually made a working deck for the combo?

I'm kinda wondering how well it does against combrei and other midrange with just Permafrost, are they simply slow enough for you to get crazy draws and get the combo off?

Wok

Wow, so they actually made a working deck for the combo?

I'm kinda wondering how well it does against combrei and other midrange with just Permafrost, are they simply slow enough for you to get crazy draws and get the combo off?

Sandstorm Titan can be deal breaker. However, I have found lots of people who trade their titan for two 3/3 wump. I think the trick is to make people think it is a yeti deck.

Nordicus

nice to still see some activity in this thread. havent played for awhile but I still tune into some streams.
Seems like it's mainly me memeing, and Wok playing actual cards, ugh. /jk

Speaking of memes, playing an Overwhelm Divine Rod deck with Talir. Every single unit is at least part Time, and my only 2 non-overwhelm units are Temple Scribe and Nesting Avisaur. I'm trying to keep the deck as spell-light as possible unless if it's for any part of combo, like Excavate for recycling Divining Rod or Temple Scribe (latter mainly when Talir is on board), or Find the Way for deck-thinning and making later Divining Rods really potent

It happens pretty rarely, but when you get Divining Rod with Talir on board, she slams like 3-6 minions on the board, even more if one of those is Temple Scribe.

Wok

I have encountered a guy who was rank 49 last season and he was running a deck featuring
  • Thunderstrike Dragon
  • Umbren Reaper
  • Nesting Avisaur
  • Find the Way
I don't remember the other cards and I lost too quickly to see a lot anyway.

I cannot find this deck on Nexus.

Bunga

Apologies if this has already been asked, I know there is an iOS version in the works, but does this include an iPhone version or just iPad?

Jamiaro

What would a ccg-game for a complete noob? I've dabbled with MTG some years back but I completely lost interest in a short while (Meta was all about infinite combos and power, not about fun...).

I would be interested in a game I can play on the go (Android and occasionally on PC) is simple and enjoyable.

No Hearthstone. :)

Wok

What would a ccg-game for a complete noob? I've dabbled with MTG some years back but I completely lost interest in a short while (Meta was all about infinite combos and power, not about fun...).

I would be interested in a game I can play on the go (Android and occasionally on PC) is simple and enjoyable.

No Hearthstone. :)

Eternal is similar to Magic, so you could try another game by the same devs, The Elder Scrolls Legends, which is similar to Hearthstone, but better.

Coming soon to Android.

hcyYucu.png
YzVEYVt.png

Shai-Tan

Banned
or just try Eternal. it's out on Android in beta. there aren't enough cards yet to have any nutty combos outside of fun decks

patchday

(not trying to troll) but I still wish this game included all of the cards. I think this is hands down one of the best CCGs out there. Best MtG-style ccg I ever played (granted didnt play as many CCGs as Karsticles).

I'm just too cheap to spend money on boosters

I loved playing against the AI but used to read it kept getting harder & harder til folks was forced into PvP. But I was more interested in relaxing with AI and gradually building my collection. Do you guys still feel it is viable playing against AI with a spotty beginner deck (even after AI keeps spiking in difficulty)?

Epic digital card game alpha is coming soon which is also MtG-style. Not as flashy and pretty as Eternal by a longshot but it includes all the cards.

Anyways no matter what will still watch Eternal streams. I play Hearthstone a lot so I'm too cheap to play a 2nd game that sells booster packs if that makes any sense...

[edit] I love this game's developer they are truly top notch. I play Lanterns sometimes on my phone.

Wok

I'm just too cheap to spend money on boosters

[...]

Anyways no matter what will still watch Eternal streams. I play Hearthstone a lot so I'm too cheap to play a 2nd game that sells booster packs if that makes any sense...

I have not bought a single booster and have most of the relevant legendary cards with 2 to 4 copies. The F2P system is generous in Eternal.

I loved playing against the AI but used to read it kept getting harder & harder til folks was forced into PvP. But I was more interested in relaxing with AI and gradually building my collection. Do you guys still feel it is viable playing against AI with a spotty beginner deck (even after AI keeps spiking in difficulty)?

The problem with Gauntlet is the final fight, which introduces a suprising mechanic, which favors the AI.

Anyway, I think the best modes of the games are Forge and Draft, both of which require drafting your own deck. If you like to relax and play vs the AI, Forge is still great but not very rewarding: its costs 2500 gold and rewards 30 cards plus at best 3 golden chests (~1600 gold, and 3 booster packs and 3 normal-looking cards) if you beat everyone with at most one loss (which is very doable even at the hardest difficulty, I succeed at it 99% of the time). The most rewarding & fun mode is definitely Draft, which costs 5000 gold and rewards 48 cards plus at best 3 diamond chests (~6000 gold, and 3 premium cards, and 3 booster packs). Draft is the only mode which allows to accumulate shiftstones and craft like a legendary card every two drafts (I take all the legendary and rare cards, and otherwise select the cards which I want to play).

Shai-Tan

Banned
You could try getting to master or at least diamond in Forge first but the main outlet to get cards (and stones to make cards) will be draft. if you want to see some people play it you can look at the vods from Amaz (I think he plays it Tuesday and Thursday in the second half of the stream). Also Tidesoftime was playing it yesterday if you want to see someone good at card games but noob at this game play it for a few hours. Brian Kibler is also decent at explaining cards/choices when he plays it.

fuzzyset

Eternal is similar to Magic, so you could try another game by the same devs, The Elder Scrolls Legends, which is similar to Hearthstone, but better.

Coming soon to Android.

hcyYucu.png
YzVEYVt.png

There's an easily download-able beta client for Android. I use it on my Galaxy S6. It's optimized for tablets, but completely playable. Runs well, just some of the icons can be a little small.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.direwolfdigital.Phoenix&hl=en

How has everyone been enjoying Eternal? I was in the closed beta, but sorta bounced off since I didn't want to build a collection twice. I'm really liking it. A little worried about it dying off with all the other CCGs coming out recently (ESL, Gwent). It seems to have a pretty good player base.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Hex is on set 6 and the player base for it is like 1/4 of Eternal (granted they earn more dollars per player) so Eternal will probably be fine. There's room in the space for different games and the advantage for Eternal is Magic Duels and Magic Online are bad and Hex isn't tablet friendly and has high buy in cost compared to true f2p games like Eternal. Anyway it will certainly be around long enough to get a bored with the cards. It's not like you're married to it forever when you choose one game over another

Nordicus

How has everyone been enjoying Eternal? I was in the closed beta, but sorta bounced off since I didn't want to build a collection twice. I'm really liking it.
I'm loving it. Even dumb deck have moments of OPOPOP once in a while and the card acquisition is fast enough to make weird decks even with expensive cards. I don't play card games as much to compete as I do to experiment

At the end of my last turn I had Dawnwalker and Talir, and this is what the start of my next turn looked like.

Didn't even get to Excavate a Divining Rod on one of them that turn XD

29/27 worth of stats for 6 mana? No biggie

Shai-Tan

Banned
Most of my time in the game is playing the Timmy (big/cool creatures) or Johnny (interesting combos) over Spike (playing what wins, efficiently trying to end the game). So stuff like reanimator or Crown of Possibilities decks. The more serious lists I have played recently are Vodacombo (most expensive deck in the game) and Feln Control but I try to fit fun (usually expensively costed) cards in (e.g. playing Rimescale Draconus, Snowcrush Animist and Vara in my Feln list).

Nordicus

Kinda amazing that Truedawn managed to make a deck where Ijin (and Fearless Nomad) is actually playable on a competitive level.

Also, Talir overwhelm rod somehow managed to get me to diamond with a 12-win streak. Don't even know. Now it's more 50/50 again so that was likely a fluke.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Fearless Nomad used to be played in a lot of Rakano decks in closed beta. Ijin I think is just a meta call with less decks playing torch at this moment. Kind of like how I'm in top 50 currently casually playing the greediest possible Feln deck. if the meta gets fast again then playing a 3 drop that needs 4 mana investment on the following turn to get value isn't that good.

Nordicus

Fearless Nomad used to be played in a lot of Rakano decks in closed beta. Ijin I think is just a meta call with less decks playing torch at this moment.
Less cheap removal in general. Less lightning storms (good chunk of current go-wide plays Xenan obelisk) and suffocates, and if you try to remove Ijin then the incredibly aggressive 1-3 drops will run all over you.

Top Bottom