• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[YouTube] Max Payne... 16 Years Later

Great watch. Ah Future Crew, what a throwback. I didn't know about the connection with Remedy and them. And still quite the game to play.

I love this guy.

Max Payne is still a delight. I think Max Payne 3 has some of the best third-person shooter mechanics around but it doesn't resonate nearly as much as Max Payne 1.

J.D

I miss this franchise so much. Max Payne 3 had the best gameplay of the series for me, but you can tell the story was a big departure from the style of the first two. If they could give me MP3 gameplay with a story as amazing the first two entries, you have an amazing triumphant return for Max.

Pilgrimzero

MP1 is such a great game

"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark on everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger, and it was over."

noomi

I replayed Max Payne a few years back, that game was only like 700MB

THE GAME WAS ONLY 700MB

I've only played MP2 but this vid made me want to try the first.

It looks great for a 2001 game btw. Is that how the game looks by default or did the youtuber add mods?

Man, that game was a revealation back in 2001. The storyline, setting, gunplay, the bullet time gimmick, I was hooked from start to finish.

kAmui-

Will watch later.

MP 1 and 2 are one of those games that I can go back to anytime and have a ton of fun even after all these years. These games made (and make) me proud to be a Finn :)

I played all the big PC classics first on PS2. Max Payne was one of them. Fucking loved every minute of it, same with the sequel.

Also, the GBA version! Shit was absolutely amazing. It had the entire game inside it, even the graphic novels!

m00h

Banned
Great watch. Just finished that game for at least the 30-th time last week. I love that game more than ever, even tough I know every damn corner of every map.

Shredderi

Good video. MP1 is one of my favourite games of all time. I love the second one as well but the first one made such an impact that it has a special place in my heart. I fucking lived and breathed Max Payne at the time.

Sec0nd

I only played Max Payne 3 and seriously loved that game. The tone, story and gameplay were all top notch.

I wonder if he will do the entire series as well. Would really love to hear his opinion on Max Payne 3.

Mr. Tibbs

I like that Raycevick covers 3D Realms involvement with Max Payne, which is something that's frequently overlooked in other discussions of this seminal game.

I have been replaying this game in 4k, recently....

maxpayne_2017_09_08_19_55_16_38_by_mister_k81-dbnu7rs.png

maxpayne_2017_09_09_03_10_53_76_by_mister_k81-dbmuive.png

maxpayne_2017_09_09_02_51_57_24_by_mister_k81-dbmuj7j.png

maxpayne_2017_09_09_02_41_37_57_by_mister_k81-dbmx4t8.png

maxpayne_2017_09_09_16_36_00_17_by_mister_k81-dbmx4tm.png

maxpayne_2017_09_09_19_02_39_32_by_mister_k81-dbnu7td.png

maxpayne_2017_09_11_13_10_05_89_by_mister_k81-dbnu8v3.png

This is the Steam version using a widescreen hack and sound fixes.

I replayed Max Payne a few years back, that game was only like 700MB

THE GAME WAS ONLY 700MB

That's not really surprising. Max Payne came out in 2001, when DVD ROM drives were incredibly uncommon and the majority of PC games were still being released on CD. So the game had to fit on one disk. The cutscenes were nothing more than still graphic novel images and .wav files.

Also, the game's MaxFX development tools were included with the original disc as well, which was awesome. The MaxED level editor, character model animation tool, package extraction tools, and a few other items. I honestly used to spend so much time making my own maps for Max Payne and creating cinematic cutscenes using the scripting features. MaxED was a lot of fun to play around with. Though MaxEd 2 for Max Payne 2 was a better overall editor.

Max Payne 2 in 2003 came packaged with two CD's, one for the installation and the game disc. But Max Payne 2 did not come with modding tools on the discs, they were a separate thing you had to download online.

I absolutely love the game myself, and it's sequel (to a slightly lesser degree). I still have both my boxed copies, as well as the awesome cloth mouse pad that came with the original PC game.

bounchfx

absolutely fucking loved Max Payne when it came out. It blew my mind. Really enjoyed the second one too. Only got around to playing the third last year, put maybe two hours into it.. kept getting bored by the presentation and all the talking, which is odd because I loved those parts in the original. Definitely gonna watch this.

This makes me realize how much I want a remake/remaster of the game.

Just update the graphics. The rest can remain the same.

dex3108

As much as I love MP 1 and 2 I really think that Max Payne 3 was and still is best TPS game ever made. And it is really sad that MP3 gameplay and whole animation system was used just once. Story and presentation are different but I wouldn't say that they are bad. All in all it is sad that series is on hold. Maybe one day we will see another Max (or Mona Sax) game.

HabeeNo

You guys weren't kidding, this was a great video

Played Max Payne for the first time about 2 years ago, and even with its age, it's so damn good

Pakkidis

I remember when Max Payne was THE game everybody was talking about. It was one of those PC games where you needed high end specs to get the most out of it.

This game really needs a remake.

Kneefoil

video @8:41 said:
While Remedy strived for the cinematic spectacle of its inspiration, the goal wasn't just to show off bullet time. It was to give the player a feature that opened up new possibilities in the gameplay sandbox. And letting them create the spectacle themselves instead of the game setting itself up.

video @9:12 said:
Originally bullet time was something that triggered when entering certain rooms. Remedy had done their homework with particle effects, bullet projectiles, and motion, but this system quickly overstayed its welcome. Bullet time has its greatest impact used sparingly, and with contrast rather than from minutes without pause.

Not only was being in slow motion without the player's consent infuriating, it didn't mesh with the rest of its gameplay.
I feel like this is an aspect in Max Payne that was somewhat blundered in Max Payne 3. It's not exactly the same as what was originally planned for the first Max Payne, but MP3 forces the player into a ton of stunts that make the player go into bullet time without giving them an option, rather than letting the player create those scenes themselves.

Oh, a limited selection that got console ports then. Hope you played MP properly since then. By that i mean, i know kung fu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwu_fd-D86w

Kenneth Yeung's Kung Fu mod was fantastic for the day. Shame that there weren't more mods in general for Max Payne.

Great watch. Ah Future Crew, what a throwback. I didn't know about the connection with Remedy and them. And still quite the game to play.

Future Crew mostly split up into Remedy, Futuremark, and BugBear. Remedy actually supplied Futuremark with their first bench marking software. 3D Mark used Remedy's MaxFX engine from 3DMark '99 to 3DMark 2001.

Ricker

Awesome game,even the graphics for the time where great,loved it...I forget what card I had when I played this,probably a 3DFX or Voodoo something lol...

eot

Banned
Personally I think MP2 holds up way better despite being almost as old. It's not as noire though

Personally I think MP2 holds up way better despite being almost as old. It's not as noire though

Max Payne 2 was released two years after the first one, and it does look technically better. Also the play mechanics are much more refined. Here are a few screenshots I took of the game in 4k resolution on PC....

The only mod I am using here is a 16:9 widescreen hack. Otherwise, this is the original game, and it really doesn't look bad at all.

The models are a big improvement over the first games, they are higher polygon and have modeled facial details as opposed to the textured on faces of the original. The game even has facial animation and lip syncing which is also an improvement, though to be honest the lip syncing was much more impressive in games like Half-Life 2 and even Doom 3, which were released months later.

The game does use some DX8 shaders, but it is pretty minimal (I Think Max Payne 1 was DX7) and also uses an early version of Havok Physics engine.

But as much as I like the sequel, I prefer the pacing of the original game more. But that is just me.

I remember when the demo for Max Payne came out and how blown away my teenage self was. I stayed up all night playing it.

Great series & cool video on how it all came to be

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I replayed it a few years ago and MAN does it hold up. Feels great.

Rainy perma-night New York is the GOAT setting for video games

MadMod

This is an amazing YouTube channel. Really in depth. Can't wait for the next MP videos. Recommend watching his others. This one was great too. Want to see his version of Andromeda too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Imagine a remake with Max Payne 3's gunplay but the same big arena style gunfights inbetween shorter cutscenes and much much better mood.

Top Bottom