• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy provides updates on Control 2 and Max Payne remake

Draugoth

Gold Member
control-max-payne-1024x576.jpg

In a note to investors, the Finland-based developer provided new information on four new titles that it is currently working on.

“Control 2 continues in the proof-of-concept stage. The plans for this sequel are ambitious, and we have seen good progress both in the designs and in the game build,” it said of the sequel to the 2019 third-person shooter.

“We will continue at this stage for the next few quarters. We focus on proving the identified key elements before moving to the next stage and scaling up the team.”

On its upcoming remake of Max Payne 1&2, the company wrote: “Max Payne 1&2 remake progressed into the production readiness stage. We have gained clarity on the style and scope of the game, and we have an exceptionally well-organized team working on it. With these accomplishments, we are excited about the project and its future success.”

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Sad that Control 2 is so far out (2028 I'd guess, who knows), but I also want them to take their time and hopefully craft another masterpiece like Alan Wake 2.

acm2000

They will since these games will not be published by Epic Games.

That is the only reason Alan Wake II is not physical.

What's wrong with options lmao you seem to be the one crying here dude
crying salty tears over my empty shelf space.

pc has been digital only forever at this point, consoles will follow sooner rather than later.

I'm really curious how the Max Payne 1&2 will turn out.

Wonder if the play like modern Remedy games or straight up like the originals but with better graphics.

Roni

Gold Member
We focus on proving the identified key elements before moving to the next stage and scaling up the team.
This should be a fucking industry standard. No more delusional marketing pushes. You advertise only what's in the game.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Will these include the baby gang Inc?

👀

I need my Max Payne sensitivity checked, after all.

I jest, hopefully they don't as I need all three.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
2025 seems the most likely but Control 2 I'd say is not worth doing a sequel IMO. Alan Wake 3 is the way I'd go given its their most criticality acclaimed game to date and has a more interesting main character.

Yeah, and they should work on re releasing Quantum Break too :pie_smirking:

Fatbody

I would put a lot of money on the Max Payne 1&2 remake not having Max Payne as a playable character for half the game or more. The Sweet Babies will remind the devs that a masculine straight white male as the sole protag is unacceptable. Could possibly make one the dozen or so Bipocs who play Remedy games feel unsafe. My guess is they’ll use the brief Mona Sax playable moments from MP2 as a justification for her own campaign.

Lupin25

2025 seems the most likely but Control 2 I'd say is not worth doing a sequel IMO. Alan Wake 3 is the way I'd go given its their most criticality acclaimed game to date and has a more interesting main character.

I looked it up, Control actually took home some GOTY awards, what did you and everything else think of that game compared to Alan Wake 2?

Genuinely curious, haven’t played either yet.

FeralEcho

I would put a lot of money on the Max Payne 1&2 remake not having Max Payne as a playable character for half the game or more. The Sweet Babies will remind the devs that a masculine straight white male as the sole protag is unacceptable. Could possibly make one the dozen or so Bipocs who play Remedy games feel unsafe. My guess is they’ll use the brief Mona Sax playable moments from MP2 as a justification for her own campaign.
No doubt,but as long as they don't fuck up Mona I count that as a plus.Both Max and Mona are great characters.Question is will it be the same Mona,or the "I don't need no man,I can do everything myself" type of waman that is prevailant in games nowadays.

Playing AW2 currently and with Sam Lake being in the game using the Max Payne voice actor it got me thinking about the Max Payne remakes and what model should be used? The original Sam Lake or the Rockstar Max Payne 3 model (my choice)?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Playing AW2 currently and with Sam Lake being in the game using the Max Payne voice actor it got me thinking about the Max Payne remakes and what model should be used? The original Sam Lake or the Rockstar Max Payne 3 model (my choice)?
I'd go for a toned down original Sam Lake without the early 2000s cringe haircut.

Rockstar's Max Payne 3 was just "most generic-looking dude in most generic cover shooter ever".
I'd rather forget the whole game ever existed (it isn't a horrible game, but just so generic and boring and with 0% Max Payne feeling), but the protagonist look is certainly the most lame and forgettable part.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I think they will go with James McCaffrey's Max Payne as a default to differentiate these characters. I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Lake's model would be unlockable as "Alex Casey" skin as a nod to original game and Alan Wake 2

Last edited:
My guess is Control 2 takes you to 'the field'. With varying places having AWE's that you have to 'control'. The building is probably still playing a role as a hub of some sorts.

SimTourist

I'd go for a toned down original Sam Lake without the early 2000s cringe haircut.

Rockstar's Max Payne 3 was just "most generic-looking dude in most generic cover shooter ever".
I'd rather forget the whole game ever existed (it isn't a horrible game, but just so generic and boring and with 0% Max Payne feeling), but the protagonist look is certainly the most lame and forgettable part.
But Max Payne 3 was literally just James McAffrey's face. Sam Lake's face just looks goofy as a 3D model, I'd rather have McAffrey. But MP3 had Sam Lake's face as an unlockable skin.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I looked it up, Control actually took home some GOTY awards, what did you and everything else think of that game compared to Alan Wake 2?

Genuinely curious, haven’t played either yet.
Control has straight up better gameplay and combat and it's not particularly close.

So if you care more about gameplay over wacky stuff, control is the way to go (while still having a lot of quirky remedy stuff).

Aw2 feels like mgs4/death stranding, an unshackled sam lake doing the fuck he wanted to do, so not for everyone.

Control is a more classic videogame.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
But Max Payne 3 was literally just James McAffrey's face. Sam Lake's face just looks goofy as a 3D model, I'd rather have McAffrey. But MP3 had Sam Lake's face as an unlockable skin.
The face, sure.
But the original Max Payne's face was literally just a single texture with a smug smile for the entire game, so any replacement that doesn't look silly would do.
Anyway, the identity of the character in the original games came from the style of clothing and the writing style, both of which was just entirely gone in MP3, which just turned Max into Average McAverageMan.

As long as the remake keeps the character's special identity intact, I don't care what face they use.
But at least at some point I'd hope for a smug face at least as a reference.

Last edited:

hinch7

This is a wierd take. I get that the character design may and aesthetics may not appeal to people who enjoyed MP1 and 2. But honestly MP3 gameplay is one of the highlights. Its (imo) one of the best third person shooters ever made. I come back to it every few years to replay. The physics and shooting are so good and still to this day one of the best there is. Be interested to see if Remedy will update 1+2 remakes, from a game mechanics point of view. Not that they need it, would be cool though.

As for the remake, yeah looking forward to it but I'd rather see new content. Hopefully there's some more in there and an epilogue for the Max Payne 2 since there is a huge time gap between the second and third game.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
McAffrey IS Max Payne to me, both in voice and in face and I hope he is the default in this remake.

Using Sam Lake is just.. weird. He’s way too much of a public figure in the industry nowadays. It’s already borderline immersion-breaking in Alan Wake 2. It would be like playing MGS with a character that looks like Kojima.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
But honestly MP3 gameplay is one of the highlights. Its (imo) one of the best third person shooters ever made.
The game just has you sit behind cover for most of the time, peeking out to take a shot now and again.
It is one of the primary examples of that shooter design prevalent at the time where the game replaces real action with "hide & seek", which is of course more realistic in a military sense, but also way less fun and badass than MP1+2's "jump into the room full of bad guys and kill them before they kill you in bullet time".
In MP3, you still have the bullet time, but you use it to jump from one cover to the next.

I think it is better than other contemporary games in that, but it has little to do with what made Max Payne Max Payne, both in gameplay and style.
Whatever you think of the game on its own merits, as a direct sequel it just fails.

Last edited:

hinch7

The game just has you sit behind cover for most of the time, peeking out to take a shot now and again.
It is one of the primary examples of that shooter design prevalent at the time where the game replaces real action with "hide & seek", which is of course more realistic, but also way less fun and badass than MP1+2's "jump into the room full of bad guys and kill them before they kill you in bullet time".
In MP3, you still have the bullet time, but you use it to jump from one cover to the next.

I think it is better than other contemporary games in that, but it has little to do with what made Max Payne Max Payne, both in gameplay and style.
Whatever you think of the game on its own merits, as a direct sequel it just fails.
Thats the gameplay loop of the Max Payne games. You run in a room, shoot. Slow mo. Use walls/posts for cover, keep shooting to fill bullet time. Rinse and repeat. Same principle for MP3. In fact its actually a disadvantage if you play the third game as a 'cover shooter' as enemies are relentless with their Ai and flank and rush you constantly. If you sit in cover most of the time you're not playing it how its meant to be played.

It is one of the primary examples of that shooter design prevalent at the time where the game replaces real action with "hide & seek", which is of course more realistic in a military sense, but also way less fun and badass than MP1+2's "jump into the room full of bad guys and kill them before they kill you in bullet time".

This sounds like you might've been restricting yourself and not applying the full range of skills/techniques. I can assure you resorting to cover 85~90% of the time in NYMHC wouldn't have done you much good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom