• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people really think that analog controllers came to PS1 at the end of its lifespan

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
NzPjjex.png

I will pretend I didn't see this. I will also pretend I don't remember the RE1 Dualshock ver. too. Both need to be burned, the ashes then sent to the sun. A kickstarter and a proposal to Elon Musk is in order.

FRS1987

I remember having a demo of Ape Escape from Underground Jampack Summer 99. This was before the PS2, and it was literally the only game that I knew of at the time where an analog controller was mandatory. It didn't even have rumble but it's crazy to see how it's become the standard. I still remember it feeling weird/different when compared to the digital PS1 controller but I remember liking it over the N64 controller.

Dual Analog + Colony Wars!

They were hard to get a hold of in the part of Australia I lived in at the time. Missed the minuscule initial shipment and had to wait 3 or 4 months to get one.

Yarbskoo

Yes. None of the modern thumbsticks are actually analog. They're digital devices with a maximum number of detectable variations. Those variations are small enough that they're basically analog, as far as we humans are concerned.

I thought the digital pad was called such because each direction could only be expressed as 1 or 0, and that anything capable of reporting more than that was not digital, thus analog.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I thought the digital pad was called such because each direction could only be expressed as 1 or 0, and that anything capable of reporting more than that was not digital, thus analog.
nope you just made that up
While digital sticks rely on single electrical connections for movement (using internal digital electrical contacts for up, down, left and right), analog sticks use continuous electrical activity running through potentiometers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

I still vividly remember getting a Dualshock console pack with a copy of F1 98 for Christmas and around that time every game had an advert for Dualshock support inside the case so I attribute it heavily with the Playstation's golden years (98-99). If I remember correctly that Dual Analog controller was a year earlier?

Dual Analog was released 25/4/97 follwed by the Dualshock 20/11/97.

Analog sticks have been around since 1976.
Sega had the first console analog stick and Sony the first Dual analog sticks. Nintendo released the N64 controller before Sega but the N64 controller is still technically digital.

Branduil

The main problem with the dual shock on the PS1 was that the system didn't launch with it, so nearly every game had to have digital controls primarily.

Already did. Scroll up

What, the Vectrex? My understanding is that those 70's and 80's analog controllers were a completely different tech; true analog devices, as opposed to the digital re-creations we use today. See oneida's post above. I'm no engineer, but it's clearly not the same thing, even if it appears to be in form and function.

I'm not trying to credit Nintendo with inventing the technology, nor the thumbstick. But they were the ones to slap this specific configuration on a controller, and it is to their credit that it is part of the standard controller we use today (along with other parts).

Milton Bradley built a self centering analog thumb stick for use with the Vectrex...in 1982. ...This is probably why you don't see analog control show up again until ps1 and n64.
The Atari 5200 used (non-centering) analog control just fine on sprite games, actually.

Analog sticks have been around since 1976.
Sega had the first console analog stick....
No they didn't. Both Atari 5200 and Vectrex had analog sticks in 1982. Analog paddle and trackball controls are even older in the home space, going back to the late 70s and the Atari 2600. (Which also had a rudimentary "motion controller" joystick.)

The main problem with the dual shock on the PS1 was that the system didn't launch with it, so nearly every game had to have digital controls primarily.

Yes, but as add-on accessories go, it was very successful, in terms of how many games supported it. Most add-ons die quietly from lack of support.

I'm not trying to credit Nintendo with inventing the technology, nor the thumbstick. But they were the ones to slap this specific configuration on a controller....
No, they weren't. There was a third-party controller for the MegaDrive that came out in 1989 which had an analog thumbstick that was digitally-based. This controller actually had dual analog, though the second one was a slider/throttle, not a gimbaled stick.

To me it felt like later on in it's life. I thought it was so weird too how they just bolted on these weird sticks onto the controller. For a long time I didn't use them

Vormund

Not exactly. It had longer grips and concave sticks, then something terrible happened and they used a significantly worse design for two more generations.

gCTuyso.jpg

Yeah I'm not sure why they felt the need to shorten the grips, it's why I hated the Dual Shock so much (couldn't hold it well due to being too small)

MoonFrog

Weird seeing the stickless controller again. But really, what is the issue? I had dualshock before Ape Escape and I still associate it with that game because of the control scheme. Moreover, I was a child. I do not remember 1997 as opposed to 98 as opposed to 99 very well.

No, they weren't. There was a third-party controller for the MegaDrive that came out in 1989 which had an analog thumbstick that was digitally-based. This controller actually had dual analog, though the second one was a slider/throttle, not a gimbaled stick.

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that.

Interesting. I hadn't heard of that.
I just heard of it myself only a year or so ago. It was the SCUF or Elite of its day--super expensive, and "all the buttons you could ever need". It even had (four!) shoulder buttons before the SNES controller. It looks like a mess, though.

(Bonus "fact": the coolest-looking controller of all time is the ColecoVision Super Action Controller.)

timshundo

We couldn't afford the analog stick controllers so yeah, it felt like the end of it's lifespan when it was finally an option for us lil tikes.

I can't remember when I bought a PS1, but when I did, it did not have analog sticks. I do remember seeing promos for Ape Escape and it heavily marketing analog sticks. I was probably around 10 or 11 when I got my PS1.

it's not that it came at the end, but it was still pretty far in

it's still the default PS1 controller in my mind and i sometimes get shocked when i see the original controller because it looks so alien

Link1110

it's not that it came at the end, but it was still pretty far in

it's still the default PS1 controller in my mind and i sometimes get shocked when i see the original controller because it looks so alien
Was it THAT far in? The system came out in late 95 in the US, and at least I want sold until late 96-early 97. Them the controller came out in 98. A year and a half or so after the system catches on with the masses isn't that far in

Anyone know how long it took play station to catch on in Japan?

Was it THAT far in? The system came out in late 95 in the US, and at least I want sold until late 96-early 97. Them the controller came out in 98. A year and a half or so after the system catches on with the masses isn't that far in

Anyone know how long it took play station to catch on in Japan?

it was late 97, so like three years after the playstation launch. that's pretty late for a major controller revision

GamerJM

Banned
Yeah I'll confess I'm one of the people OP is talking about. I knew about the Dual Analog controller but I thought it was some weird third-party knock-off controller that came out around the same time as the Dualshock, and not something that predated it by a couple years.

Fredrik

I remember getting the non-rumble Dual Analogs with Ace Combat 2 in 97. Good times.
That was seriously the best analog dual stick controller for a long long time, those deep concave sticks were amazing, still amazing compared to most controllers.

Let's put it this way: by the time Sony released the Dual Shock in the US, the Sega Saturn was no longer a factor in the 32/64-bit console war. That's plenty far into the generation.

Fredrik

Not exactly. It had longer grips and concave sticks, then something terrible happened and they used a significantly worse design for two more generations.

gCTuyso.jpg
Thanks for posting that, haven't seen them side-by-side like that before. Makes you wonder why they changed the design so much when it was superiour in every way except for the rumble. Were they trying to make it more popular among kids?

I'm prety sure they came out with Porsche Challenge in 1997
I think that was the first game I played with my dual analog controller. Great game!

Then when the dualshock came out, I believe the game already supported rumble. In fact, I may have bought an import dualshock after playing it with the dual analog. Good times indeed.

gCTuyso.jpg

Can not be stated enough, and to think that they just went with the same worse design and layout for two more generations after that.

Wait wait wait... people had Dual Shocks with green analog lights!? Or was that a Dual Analog with no shock?

Anyway I also remember being pretty annoyed after getting used to analog that Xenogears was D-pad only lol.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Bonus points for thinking that Dual Shocks launched with Ape Espace 🤔🤔
oops. I always thought that was a thing.
Ape Escape was the first, and one of only, PS1 game to utilize both sticks. (Apparently it even required a DualShock) This was before FPS games like Halo came along to popularize the FPS control schemes we use now. A lot of games just ignored the right stick forever. Probably because devs didn't want to develop for a controller that not everyone had since the PS1 originally didn't have them. So they just used the left stick to duplicate movement like the D-Pad.

Either way, the DS came out like a year after the N64. But no where near the end of its life. (Especially since the PS1 lasted FOREVER before games finally stopped coming out for it. Last game came out in 2005.)

People must be assuming that the PS1 died immediately as soon as the PS2 came out. When in fact it lived halfway into the PS2's lifespan.

I had it and remember playing gt with it. I don't remember actually buying it though unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure I had the non rumble plus the rumble one later.

Since I was about 11 a few things are a little hazy.

*Splinter

I was reading this thread on certain internet megaforum where this seemed to be a common sentiment and I feel like I am taking crazy pills 🤔🤔

Bonus points for thinking that Dual Shocks launched with Ape Espace 🤔🤔
Did you really make a thread to brag about knowing when analogue controllers came to PS1? 🤔🤔

Magnus

I will pretend I didn't see this. I will also pretend I don't remember the RE1 Dualshock ver. too. Both need to be burned, the ashes then sent to the sun. A kickstarter and a proposal to Elon Musk is in order.

This version of RE2 was rad, IIRC. All extra content and no drawbacks like with the Dual shock version of RE1.

What, the Vectrex? My understanding is that those 70's and 80's analog controllers were a completely different tech; true analog devices, as opposed to the digital re-creations we use today. See oneida's post above. I'm no engineer, but it's clearly not the same thing, even if it appears to be in form and function.

I'm not trying to credit Nintendo with inventing the technology, nor the thumbstick. But they were the ones to slap this specific configuration on a controller, and it is to their credit that it is part of the standard controller we use today (along with other parts).

The Vectrex thumbstick was functionally identical to the single analog joystick that showed up on the N64. I've used the thing, but I'm not really in a position to hunt one down just to take the controller apart to determine how Milton Bradley accomplished that one. Besides, any minor differences in HOW the analog control is actually done isn't relevant imho, if it's invisible to the player and for all practical purposes identical.

The Atari 5200 used (non-centering) analog control just fine on sprite games, actually.

I know about the atari 5200, but didn't mention it because it was 1.) a joystick, not a thumbstick 2.) not self centering and 3.) absolutely horrible and everyone hated it.

It's not similar to the current analog sticks that adorn controllers today at all- that's not really true of the vectrex.

Top Bottom