• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people really think that analog controllers came to PS1 at the end of its lifespan

Wasn't ape escape one of the first games that utilized it

no, it was one of the first games that required it. There were plenty of games that used the dual analog function of the sony flightstick which predated the dual analog and the dual shock and was on shelves in 1996- 3 full years before Ape Escape.

Those games were:

Ace Combat 2 & 3[4]
Armored Trooper Votoms (Japan)[4]
Asteroids
Atari Anniversary Edition Redux
Atari Collection 2 (Paperboy, RoadBlasters, Marble Madness)[4]
Bogey Dead 6 ( Japan as Sidewinder / Europe as Raging Skies) released at the same time as the Analog Joystick [5]
Centipede
Car & Driver Grand Tour Racing '98[4]
Choro Q Jet: Rainbow Wings (Japan)
Colony Wars (Series, but not Red Sun)[4]
Cyberia[4]
Descent and Descent 2 (Descent Maximum on the PlayStation)[4]
Digital Glider Airman (Japan)
Elemental Gearbolt[4]
EOS: Edge of Skyhigh (Japan)[4]
Formula 1 97 (known as Formula 1 Championship Edition in United States and Canada)[4]
Galaxian 3 (Japan & Europe)
Independence Day (video game)
Macross Digital Mission VF-X (Japan)
Macross Digital Mission VF-X 2 (Japan)
MDK
MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat (Arcade Combat Edition)[4]
Midway Arcade´s Greatest Hits 2 (useful in Blaster)
Missile Command
Namco Museum Vol. 4 (Assault and Assault Plus only)[4]
Newman / Haas Racing[4]
Pilot Ni Narou! (Japan)[6] (Europe as Wing Over 2) [7]
Project Gaiairy (Japan)[4]
Rise 2: Resurrection[4]
R/C Stunt Copter
Shadow Master[4]
Sidewinder 2[8]
Slamscape[4]
Steel Reign[4]
The Need for Speed (supports digital mode only)[4]
Top Gun: Fire at Will [9]
Treasures of the Deep
Vigilante 8
Gunship
Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom[4]
Zero Pilot (Japan)

notacat

Ok, i'll bite. I remember it this way:

Dualshock, first game that required it was Ape escape. Which was a fun game. Maybe not the first to support it, but the first that you needed one to even play it.

Setting down my DS4 after playing Horizon earlier, it looks pretty similar to me.

Haha - the first dual shock game I remember was ape escape. I remember wanting a dual shock at the time as I was stuck with a standard controller, but not all games supported it.

The Vectrex thumbstick was functionally identical to the single analog joystick that showed up on the N64. I've used the thing, but I'm not really in a position to hunt one down just to take the controller apart to determine how Milton Bradley accomplished that one. Besides, any minor differences in HOW the analog control is actually done isn't relevant imho, if it's invisible to the player and for all practical purposes identical.

That ignores the fact that analog devices fell out of favor for many years in the console market. You don't think the difference in tech had anything to do with that? You're arguing that a wooden wheel and a rubber tire are the same thing. They're not.

Besides, Liabe Brave already pointed out that there was a prior digital analog thumbstick, on a Genesis controller, so I was wrong anyway.

Most people consider the introduction of the dual analog controllers to be when Sony bundled the Dualshock with the playstation. This happened in 1999, I think. So considering the console came out in 1995, and the PS2 came out in 2001, in the minds of these people, 1999 is part of the "end of the console's lifespan".

Top Bottom