• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people really think that analog controllers came to PS1 at the end of its lifespan

I was reading this thread on certain internet megaforum where this seemed to be a common sentiment and I feel like I am taking crazy pills 🤔🤔

Bonus points for thinking that Dual Shocks launched with Ape Espace 🤔🤔

First time I remember analog controllers being a thing for the PS1 was Ape Escape and I pretty sure that wasn't at the end of the PS1's lifespan. I would be more knowledgeable but I was born in 92 and mostly played Nintendo games till the PS2.

Marker007

A lot of young people were probably too young to remember or not old enough to have been born. I still fondly remember getting a massage from Naomi after being tortured by Ocelot. Those were the days.

See that funny because as a kid, I thought the naked dualshock was the later version since I had become so used to analog sticks at that point.

Some people I know never knew that there was an analog controller WITHOUT rumble at first, I remember a school friend had one and comparing it to the original non stick controller was so weird at first.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I remember the Dual Shock controller being introduced some time in 1998, and that the Dual Analog controller wasn't really a big deal beforehand, though I didn't own a Playstation at the time so I wasn't really following it.

Dylan

Yeah man. People believe all sorts of crazy things.

I knew this one guy that swore up and down that the N64 controller was edible provided you cut the wire off.

We all had a good laugh at his expense, but in the end he proved us all wrong.

wipeout364

I don't really understand what the OP is trying to convey here. Did he think they came out before that or not at all?

I don't remeber analog control being a big thing on the PS1 till near the end but the dual analog stick were a pretty awesome design. Wipeout 3 was great with them.

Lynd7

There wasn't many games that even had proper analog control till later in the gen right? Some games just mapped the D-Pad to the stick didn't it?

Menome

Yeah man. People believe all sorts of crazy things.

I knew this one guy that swore up and down that the N64 controller was edible provided you cut the wire off.

We all had a good laugh at his expense, but in the end he proved us all wrong.

...I both want to hear the rest of this and also to never hear it so that it remains an unanswered mystery

I've always thought of it as being late in its life. It was not so long before the PS2 launched, so that explains why it felt like "late"; it's easy to think of consoles "living" for 5 years, but of course that's not the case, especially for market leaders.

And, also of course, technically it had dual analog support very early, with Descent. I didn't have that giant controller at the time, but I did pick up a (bad) 3rd party gamepad that could mimic it.

Unless I'm wrong it came out in 1997 or very late 1996 since Crash 2 already supported it but not Crash 1, so it came out before the middle of its life cycle

EDIT: I'm wrong, I played the greatest hit version of Crah 2 which had analog support but the original version came out without it

rjc571

Banned
The analog controller was more or less a gimmick for the PS1. Most games didn't even support analog controls and the ones that did simply threw them in as an afterthought since the game still had to be designed with digital controls in mind (except for Ape Escape, and that Japanese cooking game I guess...)

The analog controller was more or less a gimmick for the PS1. Most games didn't even support analog controls and the ones that did simply threw them in as an afterthought since the game still had to be designed with digital controls in mind (except for Ape Escape, and that Japanese cooking game I guess...)

There's like more games that support the Analog Joystick than there's games on the Wii U and even that predates Dual Analog Controllers (which has a mode to emulate that stick)

dNubyOTl.jpg

I actually hear more people say that it launched with it and Nintendo copied the idea. Some of these people are my age (30s) and they were alive and 6-9th grade when this stuff came out so I don't get how they remember it so wrong. But yeah, definitely didn't come out at the end of the life, although I feel like Ape Escape was a late gen game and that was one the first PS1 games to really make use of the second stick and had things that could only be possible in the gameplay with two sticks. I could be wrong though.

xabbott

People probably misremember because as kids they had to wait until holidays/birthdays to get a lot of gaming stuff. Not to mention when it came to controllers so many people cheaped out for secondary ones.

I remember at the time not even really seeing the point. I understood what analog could do. However, no matter the game the only time I didn't mash the stick all the way up was when I was specifically trying to justify my purchase by showing someone how I could make a character walk much slower. -.-

kswiston

Dual shock was out in May 1998 in North America. I can't remember when it was first bundled, but I had one pretty early. I used it in Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid for sure.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i thought it was around 97 or 98 but took a while to catch on and get support? No?

WillyFive

Weird, the most common misconception I've come across was the opposite; those claiming it was around the beginning, since they have never seen the original PlayStation controller without the tacked-on analog sticks.

Vimes

I got so used to seeing the dualshock design, that when I saw the original without the sticks I thought it was the weirdest thing. "Holy crap, it's just a SNES controller with handles." I still have one that I grabbed used on the cheap to use with my PS2 for the sheer novelty. Played all through a number of JRPGs with it.

Before I never understood why Analog was a feature you had to manually activate on sony controllers.

Weird, the most common misconception I've come across was the opposite; those claiming it was around the beginning, since they have never seen the original PlayStation controller without the tacked-on analog sticks.

Exactly, this was me.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Didn't it launch with some RC helicopter game? Thst game looked lame as fuck.

RC Stunt Copter? Pretty sure that was released even after the Dualshock controller. But the game was alright. Nothing major, but I remember it as being somewhat good, but pretty hard.

All I remember was that Rapid Racer was the one game we played with that old Dual Analog controller.
When Gran Turismo came out, everyone got a DualShock controller just for that, so it must have been released around the same time (in Europe).

Using the old PS1 controller nowadays feels really weird. And damn it's so light.

Clockwork

I bought a PlayStation at launch with an extra controller. I never ended up upgrading to analog units.

*shrug*

Since the PlayStation had already been out for some time I'm not surprised that people consider it as releasing late in the lifecycle.

Top Bottom