• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to share this. It is amazing. All my Magi-bros:

uTtPb.jpg
I really hope that Magi lives up to all of this incredibly moe marketing material. This could be the best thing since Cartman.

Man I can't believe you don't like Makoto. Everyone in the show did!

Oh boy did they! The ending of that show was the best part on so many levels. I actually you-tubed it because I rage-quit the show halfway through.

Yeah. I have a gigantic anime backlog so I mostly watch older animes. :)

Oh nice! You won't be disappointed. Take peoples warning about busting a gut seriously... it IS really that funny.

The Wings of Honneamise

This was so stunning visually that it often borders on extravagance. It leaves me wondering how expensive this was to make, especially considering its length.

Metrotab

Banned
What do people here think of Full Metal Panic? I'm halfway through the first season, and loving every episode of it. It's definitely more entertaining to me than the rather dry Gundam 00. Both the comedic parts as the action sequences work well with the cast.

Oh, and the soundtrack is absolutely amazing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What do people here think of Full Metal Panic? I'm halfway through the first season, and loving every episode of it. It's definitely more entertaining to me than the rather dry Gundam 00. Both the comedic parts as the action sequences work well with the cast.

Oh, and the soundtrack is absolutely amazing.
Fumoffu is the only FMP worth watching.

/XX/

The dango song is irresistibly charming.
Can I post this again?

This is fuckin anime! Where was this 20 years ago when it SHOULD have happened?
It is sad some people might want to forget about it (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39861039&postcount=10391), but there was a recent adaptation of Phantom Blood, isn't it? I think it should be at least mentioned now that we have another one. Anyway, that adaptation is the reason why I automatically hear 'VOODOO KINGDOM' in my brain every time I see images of an animation adaptation of that arc... many thanks for that, A.P.P.P. & associated production companies!

Uchip

Banned
Might as well get ready for the disappointmentons.

well I will personally go to akihabara and kick every otaku in the nuts in that case
until the next season of ippo this is the manliest show we're getting

Fumoffu is the only FMP worth watching.

Not true
The other FMPs have some of the better mecha action that is closer to western battletech style as opposed to the human-like gundam mecha shows, and have the same humour
Fumoffu is funny, but its definitely tiresome when the entire season is based on the same fish out of water gimmick

Jex

The Wings of Honneamise

This was so stunning visually that it often borders on extravagance. It leaves me wondering how expensive this was to make, especially considering its length.

800,000,000 yen which in today's dollars is like $10,167,760. It was bankrolled by Bandai after they were impressed by the Daicon IV short that Gainax put out. Of course, Wings of Honneamise would go on to make no money at all, but Gainax made Gunbuster afterwards which made Bandai happy enough.

Of course, nothing I ever said could possibly happen in today's economic climate. Some small team of animators make a short and you give them millions of dollars to go make whatever? Total madness.

duckroll

well I will personally go to akihabara and kick every otaku in the nuts in that case
until the next season of ippo this is the manliest show we're getting

I have a hunch that Jojo will do well enough for at least another season. One of the production partners for the series is Medicos Entertainment. They make all the Jojo figures and stuff in Japan. So that's more optimistic than a series which completely relies on DVD/BD sales to continue.

Uchip

Banned
I have a hunch that Jojo will do well enough for at least another season. One of the production partners for the series is Medicos Entertainment. They make all the Jojo figures and stuff in Japan. So that's more optimistic than a series which completely relies on DVD/BD sales to continue.

ah
good to know
I know someone that collected those :)

wonzo

Banned
Just around One and a half hours left until Key's latest masterpiece Little Busters! starts airing. Now, let's all suffer this blight... together.

littlebusters.jpg

/XX/

Verily, I think. Was this before Gunbuster? I think GAINAX was financially in shambles until then.
For more interesting information related to its production, Toshio "Otaking" Okada gave many about that era of GAiNAX on interviews like this one:

The Conscience of the Otaking: The Studio Gainax Saga in Four Parts
http://www.gwern.net/docs/1996-animerica-conscience-otaking

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just around One and a half hours left until Key's latest masterpiece Little Busters! starts airing. Now, let's all suffer this blight... together.

Is that the hatewatch survival challenge this season?

Because if that's the case I'm totally in.

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho-Pass ep credits:

Lots if regular IG staff and a bunch of SAC guys. Nothing particularly groundbreaking here, but I think they have a pretty stable team working on it. The director of ep1 is pretty interesting though...

Hmm, nobody really jumps out at me. It definitely seems pretty heavy on GITS people which isn't bad I suppose. I do wonder why they picked Kusumi of all people for the premiere.

Metrotab

Banned

littlebusters.jpg

I have a feeling it's gonna be very hard to avoid spoilers for this show. Little Busters is everywhere.

A lot of people are worried though JC Staff is gonna mess it up because Little Busters story structure didn't make for easy adaptation, apparently.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18780843/anime/littlebusters.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The first 10 minutes were impressive...

With a bad animated fight, a silly catgirl and a typical Key flashback.

800,000,000 yen which in today's dollars is like $10,167,760. It was bankrolled by Bandai after they were impressed by the Daicon IV short that Gainax put out. Of course, Wings of Honneamise would go on to make no money at all, but Gainax made Gunbuster afterwards which made Bandai happy enough.

Of course, nothing I ever said could possibly happen in today's economic climate. Some small team of animators make a short and you give them millions of dollars to go make whatever? Total madness.

There were indicators troughout the film of how different it is from what from modern productions. Not just the quality of the animation, but there were so many opportunities for cost cutting shortcuts that were not taken that would be a given in something made now. It's not surprising that it was so expensive, nor that it wasn't a financial success given the film's focus and pacing.

For more interesting information related to its production, Toshio "Otaking" Okada gave many about that era of GAiNAX on interviews like this one:

The Conscience of the Otaking: The Studio Gainax Saga in Four Parts
http://www.gwern.net/docs/1996-animerica-conscience-otaking
Thanks, it looks like an interesting read.

sonicmj1

The first 10 minutes were impressive...

With a bad animated fight, a silly catgirl and a typical Key flashback.

I like the part of the flashback where the spunky headband guy covered himself in honey to attract bees so they could light him on fire with a homemade lighter-aerosol flamethrower.

Oh, the wacky things kids do.

duckroll

There were indicators troughout the film of how different it is from what from modern productions. Not just the quality of the animation, but there were so many opportunities for cost cutting shortcuts that were not taken that would be a given in something made now. It's not surprising that it was so expensive, nor that it wasn't a financial success given the film's focus and pacing.

Wings of Honneamise is one of the most important films in anime history imo. I'm glad you finally watched it!

Excellent, the beyond-cutoff Blu-ray sales from September 24-30 have been released. Now we can get a more accurate picture of how the Summer shows are doing:

2,979 *2,979 *1 Campione! v1
2,931 *2,931 *1 AKB0048 v4
2,359 *2,359 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X v4
2,330 *2,330 *1 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate v1
2,305 *2,305 *2 Kuroko no Basuke v3
2,290 *2,290 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion v4
2,063 *2,063 *1 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! v1
1,983 *1,983 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki v3
1,970 *1,970 *1 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? Of the Dead v5
1,945 *1,945 *1 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai v1
1,854 *1,854 *1 Tsuritama v4
1,742 *1,742 *1 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia v4
1,740 *1,740 *1 Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica v1
1,714 *1,714 *1 Sakamichi no Apollon v3
1,438 11,516 *2 Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED BD Box v3
1,411 *1,411 *1 Uchuu Kyoudai BD Box v1
1,384 *1,384 *1 Hakuouki Reimeiroku v1
1,284 *1,284 *1 Upotte!! v2
1,234 *1,234 *1 Arcana Famiglia v1
1,139 *1,139 *1 Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru ~Futari no Elder~ v2

As before, new releases from the Summer have been bolded.

We can therefore update the Summer Temporal (First Volume) BD + DVD Rankings:

*1, 21,176 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II
*2, *9,196 Dog Days'
*3, *8,760 Tari Tari
*4, *7,728 Yuru Yuri ♪♪
*5, *6,422 Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
*6, *4,920 Hakuouki Reimeiroku
*7, *4,876 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
*8, *4,852 Oda Nobuna no Yabou
*9, *4,221 Joshiraku
10, *4,187 Campione!
11, *3,337 Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
12, *3,462 Arcana Famiglia
13, *2,810 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
14, *2,409 Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
15, *1,958 Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai!
16, 1,900 Moyashimon Returns
17, *1,888 Rinne no Lagrange Season 2
18, *1,370 Binbougami ga!
19, *1,338 Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi.
20, *1,282 Upotte!!

For this list, bolded series are those whose ranking was affected due to the past-cutoff reported sales (so basically the same series as the first list).

As a quick note, Utakoi didn't have any BDs in the rankings, and conversely, Dakara H didn't have any DVDs in the rankings. Then again, even these aren't absolutely everything, but we won't get every single sales number until the end of the month.

The overall moral of the story? In a week where the Blu-ray sales cutoff for early reports is 3,068, you really need to wait for the full list to judge things properly.

Not enough for a Kore wa Zombie s3?

Wings of Honneamise is one of the most important films in anime history imo. I'm glad you finally watched it!

It's something I've intended to watch for awhile, I just only got around to doing it now. I'm glad I finally did so, I can see why it's so highly spoken of.

But Yamauchi sucks. I'm just drawing out his fans so I can mock them all at the same time! :(

Hayama is cool though. He worked on all the previous Jojo stuff (not the new one), and that one episode of X-Men! Too bad he's friends with Yamashitty. :D

You shut your mouth; Yamauchi is awesome
as an episode director

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom