• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After finishing Until Dawn, is Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls worth my time?

I think you can play the PS4 version of Beyond in chronological order, which might make it worth playing perhaps.
I have no idea why David Cage thought it was a good idea to structure the story like an incoherent mess of random scenes. Lost interest and stopped playing like halfway in.

I liked Heavy Rain.

bitbydeath

I wasn't that impressed with Beyond because the timeline was all out of whack when I had played, that was apparently fixed later though so it might be more enjoyable now.

Heavy Rain is good, especially the Taxidermy DLC if you can get your hands on it.

Despite being short that DLC is the closest you'll get to Until Dawn experience IMO.

grimmiq

I think you can play the PS4 version of Beyond in chronological order, which might make it worth playing perhaps.
I have no idea why David Cage thought it was a good idea to structure the story like an incoherent mess of random scenes. Lost interest and stopped playing like halfway in.

I liked Heavy Rain.

Because David Cage is actually good at making small scenes, that when isolated can be compelling and emotionally powerful. But when they're strung along into a nonsensical story filled with plot holes, forced "romance" and rape fantasy it turns into a shitshow. Maybe someone thought cutting them up and bouncing back and forth would hide that.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Heavy Rain is good, especially the Taxidermy DLC if you can get your hands on it.

Despite being short that DLC is the closest you'll get to Until Dawn experience IMO.

Not on the PS4 rerelease, if I'm not mistaken.

Shaanyboi

Banned
David Cage is a master of how to make narrative games terribly...

Until Dawn is so much better than anything he has ever made.

Metal B

Both are terrible, but at least Heavy Rain is so bad, it's almost good again. Better play it with friends or watch funnier people, playing it on YouTube. Beyond Two Souls on the other hand is just boring bad.

Banned
Jodie almost gets forced into a blowjob after saying no, and when sje goes to the bar as a punk teen 3 men try to rape her on a pool table

See, the cool thing about Beyond is that it's totally possible to miss these scenes altogether, giving different players a different story/experience. I missed the bar scene because I had her walk out. Some won't even get to the bar scene because she'll get busted sneaking out.

Personally, I enjoyed going all 'Carrie' on those asshole kids at the party, but again, that was my choice to do so.

Sure, the story was all over the place and for so e reason, the homeless black dude showed up in a vision towards the end, but I can respect what Cage was trying to do.

Kudos to whoever suggested playing HR in French with English subs. I'll give that a shot one day.

manfestival

I absolutely loved heavy rain. I remember being so glued to the game that I almost played the whole thing in one sitting(never happens even in short games for me). Actually, I remember making a poor decision that I didnt mean to select and realizing in that second that a character would die caused me to lunge at my ps3 to shut it off praying that 2 things happened: that my save wasnt ruined and that it saved it prior to that action sequence. fortunately both were true.
TLDR; heavy rain is a strong recommendation if you liked until dawn.

Just finished until dawn and while I was more invested in heavy rain, I really really really enjoyed the experience. Normally, I hate jump scare anything but this game really got me invested into the entire experience from the beginning. Gotta give props to the writers. Came here looking for the same advice on games that provide similar experiences. I would probably be all into that experience.

Flux

It's peak David Cage. Nonsense plot. Diet racism. Creepy bathroom scenes. Ending with no resolution or feeling of accomplishment.

gforguava

Absolutely not. Story heavy games need good stories and good storytelling, David Cage's games have neither. They are unbelievably wretched.

mokeyjoe

I liked Heavy Rain. Well, I liked the idea of Heavy Rain more than the game itself. I'd totally be up for more interactive drama type stuff.

pots555

Until Dawn is so much better but I enjoyed my time with both. I would also suggest Indigo Prophecy. Loved this one!

Can't speak for Beyond Two Souls, but as far as Heavy Rain? Hell no

That shit is basically a weak ass episode of Law and Order where you're tasked with doing mundane shit for the first third. Game was disappointing as hell when I first played it.

No, play some telltale like borderlands or the wolf among us

This. If you're really just jonesing for a narrative-driven experience, play some of the Telltale offerings. Walking Dead, Borderlands, and Wolf Among Us are all really good. Life is Strange is really solid, too. Even some games that absolutely suck gameplay-wise like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture are really beautiful in terms of story and atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

Best thing to come out of Heavy Rain.

This, too.

Alastor3

OP Neogaf is not the best place to ask for that, since this place is filled with people who hate David Cage.

While his games are flawed, it's an interactive medias with some great scenes.

The main critique for Indigo Prophecy was that the ending was rushed.
But I feel like people automatically call it a bad game just because of this, while the rest of the journey is really really good.

Heavy Rain have more flaw but it's still a great experience to play and it's probably cheap.

Haven't played through Beyond Two souls yet but I won't look at GAF to know if it's good or not, i'll experience it myself.

Detroit on ps4 look amazing and can't wait to get my hands on it.

The best way to play Heavy Rain is to fail all the QTE and make all the bad choices it turns into a dark comedy about morons trying to crack a case.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Heavy Rain, absolutely. Even if you dislike it(as some do), there is enough tension from the choices you make to make it worth a try, also the mystery is engaging to follow. It won't supplant Until Dawn, but its both familiar and interesting enough to make it an easy recommend.

Beyond is less so. Central mystery isn't as interesting while the choices lack the same tension. It has a somewhat interesting story it weaves, but only worth checking out if you enjoyed Heavy Rain and are willing to try yet another.

IrishNinja

Shame the standalone game "The Taxidermist" wasn't included with the remaster. It's a shockingly good horror episode.

this was super underrated, yeah - i get why people didn't take to heavy rain (it has some really tense moments but is crazy flawed, like most of cage's work) but that episode was just great, start to finish

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but not Beyond Two Souls. I disliked many things about it, but the jumping around through the different timelines was one of them.

jwk94

Homeless blowjob, zombie scientists, the guys in the bar

And there are 2 shower scenes

Jodie almost gets forced into a blowjob after saying no, and when sje goes to the bar as a punk teen 3 men try to rape her on a pool table

Well damn. Idk how I forgot about those scenes. My bad.

I enjoyed Heavy Rain, but not Beyond Two Souls. I disliked many things about it, but the jumping around through the different timelines was one of them.

You didn't like that? That was my favorite part. Piecing together the timeline was a blast.

Neith

Banned
Beyond Two Souls is INFINITELY better through the chronological timeline IMO. It also looks really nice. It is worth a playthrough. So is Heavy Rain.

PS4 Remaster. Problem solved there at least a little bit. I could not stand all that jumping around.

Alastor3

Beyond Two Souls is INFINITELY better through the chronological timeline IMO. It also looks really nice. It is worth a playthrough. So is Heavy Rain.

PS4 Remaster. Problem solved there at least a little bit. I could not stand all that jumping around.

Wait, there are two version of playing Beyond on the PS4 ??

So, I assume the game originally is not chronological and you can make it chrono with the ps4 version? Do you have to finish the game first to do that?

Neith

Banned
Wait, there are two version of playing Beyond on the PS4 ??

So, I assume the game originally is not chronological and you can make it chrono with the ps4 version? Do you have to finish the game first to do that?

Nah, I am still doing an eternally sometime I will finish it playthrough of the chrono version on PS4.

It is much preferred IMO.

I appreciate films that do this sometimes, but in no way did this game need that. It just starts to become a jumbled mess in the original version.

Inspector Q

I really enjoyed my time with Heavy Rain. It is similar to Until Dawn in the fact that it stars multiple protags and made me feel like I needed to succeed every QTE or someone would die. It made the experience that much more intense.

Of course, after playing through the game and coming to the forums, you will learn that only certain scenes and choices will actually lead to character deaths. But still, that initial first experience is very intense as you don't know which QTEs/choices could be fatal.

With Beyond 2 Souls, it was a lot less intense because it only starred Jodie. Every time you screwed up, Aiden would be there to bail you out. It made all the action scenes infinitely less intense as you knew your character was death-proof.

Either way, these interactive story games are few and far between and I look forward to all of them when they come out. Interested in that Hidden Agenda title that is coming out. I am really hoping you can get a solid single player experience out of it, though. The whole Multiplayer focus could potentially ruin it for me.

Burbeting

Banned
Heavy Rain is quite fun, and has the same idea as until dawn about any of the protagonists being able to die. And while the writing has more plot holes than sentences, the premise and the ideas it has are still compelling.

Beyond is just dumb. The game is structured very awkwardly, and there is no sense of stakes in any choices you make. Unless you are an absolute diehard fan of Ellen Page, skip it.

Both are badly written, but I'll still argue Heavy Rain is a good game.

I'll always defend Heavy Rain. While the writing is terrible, the story is full of holes and it actually cheats with its murder mystery, it's one of the most genuinely impressive choose-your-own-adventure games there is. The story will branch in meaningful ways from very early on; the map of every possible route would be quite staggering if you plotted it all out. It's in a whole different league from Until Dawn in terms of complexity, quite an amazing feat.

It also has some pretty challenging moments of 'gameplay'. It's obviously all QTEs, but some of those QTEs take some serious finger gymnastics to pull off, and there are genuine stakes to those scenes. If you don't find the right evidence, you won't solve the mystery; if you don't escape from bad guys your characters can end up in jail for the rest of the game, or just dead, and the story will change to account for it. I think it's such a cool game, even if there's so much dumb stuff in it :p

Beyond Two Souls is just trash. It's almost entirely linear, with only a handful of choices the player can make that have zero lasting effect. You can choose to terrorise a group of rowdy teens and burn down their motherfucking house, and all it gets you is a scolding from Willem Dafoe that never comes up again. You can reject the prettyboy love interest all you like, but Ellen Page still ends up with him. The gameplay is utterly braindead, to the point where your presence as a player is treated more as a nuisance than as a necessary part of the bargain. "Ugh, I guess we should make the player do something in this scene." It goes without saying that the story is stupid, but with nothing else impressive about the game there's nothing to distract you from it.

Top Bottom