• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2017 RPG Discussion Thread

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Release Date: Q4 2017
PC, Mac, Linux

Kickstarter link

Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is a supernatural horror CRPG (computer role-playing game) set in the strange worlds of Howard Phillips Lovecraft. Embracing the themes of pulp and weird fiction, Stygian will draw the player into a bleak journey from a ruined Arkham to the very depths of the Abyss.

The gameplay experience promises a mix of rich role-playing and turn-based tactical combat, in a 2D environment with an original, illustrative graphic style. In Stygian, you will create your main character from scratch, with access to several archetypal backgrounds, each with its own origin story, skills, traits, and belief system, the last of which determines how your character replenishes lost sanity as well as presenting unique dialog choices.

Our goal is to blend the culture and social reality of 1920s New England with cosmic horror to create a living, breathing anti-Utopia. Stygian is being crafted by designers who grew up reading Lovecraft and playing Planescape: Torment, the early Fallout titles, Heroes of Might and Magic and the like. We want to create the best possible experience with your feedback. Your interest and support will be invaluable.

ethomaz

Banned
My interests:

Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Persona 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
Ni No Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM

Questions:

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 - This game has all games??? I need to buy something else to play all the franchise before KH3???

Disappointed:

Digimon World: Next Order - I really wished it was to the great Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth.
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - I don't have a 3DS.

StereoVsn

I don't understand why Nier and Yakuza are RPGs and Horizon isn't. Actually I just recently found that people consider Horizon not an RPG even when devs constantly says that the game is an action RPG, but whatever.
It's probably going to be as much of an RPG as ME:A (not much) but should be included.

xuchu

If we're doing expansions, Path of Exile 3.0 (Act V, removal of one of the difficulties, general rebalacing & new stuff) should be coming out towards the end of Q2.

Oh nice, I stopped playing just after they introduced ascendency classes. I imagine they've had lots of balance changes and skill gem additions by now. Are they removing cruel difficulty?

Praise be to Chris Wilson.

Alebelly

Give them to me, localized...

fTTBLia.gif

I agree, with you

zewone

TodayI learned Yakuza is an RPG.

I never played the games, but was always under the impression they were action games.

Opa-Pa

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 - This game has all games??? I need to buy something else to play all the franchise before KH3???

This is a collection with a remastered version of the 3DS game, cutscenes from another game and a new short prologue to KH3, if I'm not mistaken.

What you want is the collection that will release for PS4 in march. That one includes every other game in the series and they'll run at 60fps and all.

Labadal

TodayI learned Yakuza is an RPG.

I never played the games, but was always under the impression they were action games.

Most people would call them action adventure games. I'm not going to say there's anything wrong to call them that. I personally, consider them to be action rpgs. Yes, there is an action combat system, but there are several jrpg elements in the game that I think it is fair to thing of them as action rpgs. Equipping items, gaining exp to gain levels, ransom encounters, side quests and activities. Heave on story.

If people disagree with its inclusion, I can remove it.

Oh nice, I stopped playing just after they introduced ascendency classes. I imagine they've had lots of balance changes and skill gem additions by now. Are they removing cruel difficulty?

Praise be to Chris Wilson.

They haven't said which difficulty they're removing, but you'll only have to play through the Acts twice before reaching the endgame instead of three times like it is now. I'm guessing for the resistance penalty, they'll save the highest penalty for maps & endgame content.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have doubts that Arcadian Atlas is coming this year, it's been in development for like 5 years already. They are slooooowwww.

CCIE

Banned
There is a lot on my buy list - great year for RPG's

Have to get Horizon, KH 2.8, FFXII Zodiac, Persona 5, and Mass Effect for starters. Then we will see what gets delayed or not.
I don't expect DQXI or Ni No Kuni to make it out this year.

Andrew J.

I haven't been following Torment closely, and the OP is the first time I've heard it's launching on consoles. Think I'll grab it on PS4.

ethomaz

Banned
This is a collection with a remastered version of the 3DS game, cutscenes from another game and a new short prologue to KH3, if I'm not mistaken.

What you want is the collection that will release for PS4 in march. That one includes every other game in the series and they'll run at 60fps and all.
Ohhhh I will wait the collection.

Wait, there's a Call of Cthulhu game? Is it based on the tabletop role playing game? Can anyone post some links about it? I'm highly interested in this.

Mephala

I was kind of hoping for the same format Durant used. I like the spreadsheet look that showed whether a game is party based or turn based or isometric etc. It helps when just glancing at titles I am unfamiliar with.

Labadal

Made a sizable update today, but far from finished. Lots of games missing.

I do have a question. I'm thinking on putting smaller rpgs in the second post. Games that don't have any hype, I haven't followed and that I generally know nothing about. Should I do that or should I put all games in the same list?

I will be updating current game list with trailers and maybe links to screens. Probably going to add some tags, too.

Raw64life

In for Ni no Kuni and everything with Dragon Quest in the title. I don't at all expect to be playing DQXI in 2017 though. I hope no one else does either. Save yourself the disappointment.

In for South Park as well, although I don't see it on the list.

Calling Nier an RPG is really stretching it. South Park is certainly more of an RPG than Nier is.

Looks like it will be a good year. The Yakuza games are RPGs? I had no idea, always assumed they were third person action games. Maybe I should look into them.

Opa-Pa

So is Persona 5 locked in at April 4 now, with no chance of last-minute delays?

I honestly don't trust Atlus USA to not delay it again at this point lol... I mean it's really unlikely and they'd lose a lot of points with fans, but who knows. I understand they have it rough but it's happened so many times already.

Caligula looks amazing. As a fan of the Persona series, I have to look into it just do to the talent working on it.

Summon Night 6 is a day 1 purchase. No question.

umbra

Enjoyed last year's thread but this year is looking to be a lot better to me in terms of games I'm looking forward to.

I will definitely buy:

Berseria
Dq11
Persona 5
Cosmic star heroine
Horizon: zero dawn
Ff12
Swr5
Nier

Might buy:
Both kingdom Hearts game.
Yakuza 0
Mass effect a
Ys
Digimon
Cold Steel 3

Labadal

For the moment, I have listed every game I can think of. I'll probably come up with a few more in the upcoming days. Maybe the Switch will surprise us, too.

aravuus

On one hand, 10 hype pointz for Yakuza 0

On the other hand, only 8 hype pointss for Torment

I don't know what to feel!

people are actually hyped for this B tier game(which isn't even an RPG,but whatever)?

Christ almighty, you must be a fun guy to be around.

I personally think Yakuza is as much an RPG as any JRPG is.

Labadal

My hype for Torment was Planescape/10. Then I played the Early Acces version of Numenera and I am now setting my Hype Points accordingly. I am also displeased with changes they have made during this period. I backed the game for over $200. I am hyped. I am just not as hyped as I was before playing half the game. It will be a solid time spent, but it won't come close to Planescape: Torment.

Staf

My hype for Torment was Planescape/10. Then I played the Early Acces version of Numenera and I am now setting my Hype Points accordingly. I am also displeased with changes they have made during this period. I backed the game for over $200. I am hyped. I am just not as hyped as I was before playing half the game. It will be a solid time spent, but it won't come close to Planescape: Torment.

Completely understad. I'm just super glad we get games in it's genre on the consoles. I migrated to consoles from PC about 15 years ago and miss this type of games terribly. Torment or Horizon is still my top most anticipated titles of 2017.

Labadal

What changes have there been? I haven't really been following the development at all.

They changed the structure, encounters, added health bars and much more. Not all of it to my persona liking. Combat is sos-so and items are to me, very boring.

Top Bottom