• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where were the Sonic games for Vita?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not even Sonic Mania comic to Vita. I appreciated Sega's support with Jet Set Radio though. Seems weird when you consider their support for the Wii U

Sonic has traditionally sold better on Nintendo platforms. This includes the multiplatform games and Sega has done exclusive Sonic games for Nintendo platforms before (Sonic Colors, Lost World, etc.). Mario & Sonic also is Sonic's best-selling game and has always been exclusive to Nintendo consoles and arcades (thanks to Mario).

Sonic Mania isn't releasing on any older platforms. It's literally PS4, XB1, PC & Switch. That's it. No 3DS, Wii U, 360, PS3, Vita, etc. I'm not sure why this is surprising. If I'm not mistaken, Tantalus had to port the game to Switch too.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
There's like 20 million vitas out there and it's still getting releases, especially in Japan....

Um, it very likely hasn't sold close to 20M units. Japan is where it's sold the most (and is now basically close to dead now in 2017) where it's sold 5.5M. It's questionable that it's even outsold that in the rest of the world given how few shipments Sony even gave. Honestly at best it's probably around Wii U LTD (13.56M).

I just want to say that SASR Transformed is amazing on the Vita. The guys at Sumo Digital are wizards and they make better "blue skies in games" SEGA games than SEGA itself.

Fiendcode

Um, it very likely hasn't sold close to 20M units. Japan is where it's sold the most (and is now basically close to dead now in 2017) where it's sold 5.5M. It's questionable that it's even outsold that in the rest of the world given how few shipments Sony even gave. Honestly at best it's probably around Wii U LTD (13.56M).
Last I remember seeing NPD had it's ltd under 2 million in the US although that was over a year ago now. It's likely even below Wii U globally.

Sonic Generations probably would have been on Vita if the handheld was released earlier, but Sega did get a really good version of Virtua Tennis 4 out for Vita launch.

As for the rest of the games, the Sonic deal with Nintendo is why Sonic Lost World didn't end up on Vita (or any other formats), though the Vita was also spared Sonic Boom and its two handheld games.

Sonic Team went and made Sonic Runners for mobile, but that didn't get adapted to anything, to my knowledge.

Top Bottom