• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
I got to play Yokohama last week. I was initially a little concerned by the 25 separate action boards that are laid out during setup, and the AP that they could conceivably cause but it actually flowed pretty well once everyone got into it. It had a satisfying curve that a lot of those good economic games have of ramping up -> getting points -> the end game, but it didn't really stand out a ton from various other similar games. I'd play it again but don't really have any desire to own it or anything.

I realized while playing it, that my favorite part in any of those games is when the end game is approaching and you're able to map out your final turns. I enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out how to use every last little resource and action available to you to get as many points as possible.
As part of my endless posts about Feast for Odin, I'll point out that it's almost exactly what you're talking about -- a million action options, but flows well, and the final turns are a massive efficiency puzzle to ramp up your score by a lot. :p

I'm looking forward to game night this weekend. I plan to play a quick game of Mintworks (my fiancee is already bored with the game), and Tiny Epic Quest should be here by then. If I'm lucky maybe I can get a bigger game out.

My group played Unlock! and it's really good, it feels like playing Zero Escape but with cards. It's really simple and clever.

Also, maybe we're just not so sharp but we played The Formula and found it surprisingly hard? We didn't finish in time and had to ask the app for some hints. There's also the issue of the game having zero replayability, but ~$12 for an hour of fun for a group of friends is fine by me.

Anyone going to Florida Supercon this weekend?

I'm running a few video game based panels, but saw they had a tabletop design panel and since I'll be there for free I'll go and check it out. Been really itching to design a tabletop game since I want a break from video game programming but still want to create.

Oddly Grimslingers, though I have yet to play it, has been a big inspiration as it is designed and illustrated by the same person, which I want to do (visual artist here ^_^).

ultron87

Also, maybe we're just not so sharp but we played The Formula and found it surprisingly hard? We didn't finish in time and had to ask the app for some hints.

We played the Island one and it completely kicked our butt. Took like 90 minutes and we had to use a lot of hints. It was especially tough since (extremely mild mechanic spoiler that reveals itself from the very start)
it splits you into two groups that can't communicate when you start with separate sets of clues.

I also have the Abandoned Cabin EXIT game to play soon. We already did the Lab one of that series, and it was quite fun.

Blizzard

Banned
Tiny Epic Quest got here about 4 days before predicted, awesome! The itemeeples look neat and the box is quite hefty. I think they've finally reached critical mass of what they can fit in a box of that size. Repacking everything will be a challenge.

Protome

My group played Unlock! and it's really good, it feels like playing Zero Escape but with cards. It's really simple and clever.

Also, maybe we're just not so sharp but we played The Formula and found it surprisingly hard? We didn't finish in time and had to ask the app for some hints. There's also the issue of the game having zero replayability, but ~$12 for an hour of fun for a group of friends is fine by me.

I really liked this game too, i've only played The Formula so far as well and had the same experience, it was pretty difficult. We also had to straight up tell a couple of people in our group to stop trying to brute force the answers because at one point we ended up with an item earlier than we should have just because someone combined two items which made no sense to be added together and the result happened to match up to a number from a later card.

That said, I'm really looking forward to playing the other scenarios but won't be picking it up myself because as you said there isn't really any replay value at all and my friend already owns it...I'll probably pick up the next box of scenarios when it hits.

zulux21

I really liked this game too, i've only played The Formula so far as well and had the same experience, it was pretty difficult. We also had to straight up tell a couple of people in our group to stop trying to brute force the answers because at one point we ended up with an item earlier than we should have just because someone combined two items which made no sense to be added together and the result happened to match up to a number from a later card.

That said, I'm really looking forward to playing the other scenarios but won't be picking it up myself because as you said there isn't really any replay value at all and my friend already owns it...I'll probably pick up the next box of scenarios when it hits.

EXo8nip.png
is what you are talking about game series wise right?

are all of them able to be played stand alone?

Neverfade

Have any of you folks who've played Unlock also played Exit?

You guys are positive, but I don't hear many great things about Unlock from those who've played both.

Protome

is what you are talking about game series wise right?

are all of them able to be played stand alone?
Yeah, that's the one. They sell a box that has the three scenarios which are currently out in it and are releasing another with the three that are marked as preorder.

The entire game consists of working your way through the deck of cards, nothing additional is needed so they are each playable standalone.

Have any of you folks who've played Unlock also played Exit?

You guys are positive, but I don't hear many great things about Unlock from those who've played both.

I've never played Exit.

sneaky77

I am assuming exit is also stand alone for each thing?

and do either have any replayability?

No, is a one time thing, I mean once you solve the puzzle even if you manage to not maim components which we did, there's not much else there, but for $15-$20 its a good group pass time

ultron87

Unlock at least has the advantage that you can pass it off/sell it to another group because it doesn't require drawing or cutting of components. It is all a deck of cards. Exit games seem to require altering components.

sneaky77

Unlock at least has the advantage that you can pass it off/sell it to another group because it doesn't require drawing or cutting of components. It is all a deck of cards. Exit games seem to require that.

Yeah, there is probably a way to avoid it, but it did make it easier in a couple of places to write on the book that comes with it or cut up a couple of cards

EYEL1NER

I got my big CardHaus order in today, which included my ding & dent $35 copy of Letters from Whitechapel (a steal after it was OOP for something like a year). I'm about to sit down and open up the rules for Kingdomino so we can play that soon. My wife and daughter played Coconuts with me as soon as the package came in and we all had a lot of fun with it. I want to play again after my son goes to sleep but don't know if my wife will be up for it this late. I want to pick up a copy of Coconuts Duo now, to combine with the regular version for 5 and 6 player games. I was really surprised by how durable the monkeys feel, they seem like they are of a good quality.

ultron87

Played Spirit Island today. It's a 4-player game where you're defending an island jerk bag colonists and everyone has super different powers. It was a neat puzzle but you can do everything collaboratively and decide the order of everything any of the players do so it's just Quarterbacking the game.

I really do believe that co-op games need to give players less choice with action order and stuff like that so that you can't spend 10 minutes figuring out what the perfect order of actions is for the whole turn. Forcing people to take their turns limits the possibility space in a way that's very good both for each player figuring out their own thing and for limiting the permutations for possible turn perfection.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Yo.

Werewords.

Yooooooo.

Buy that Werewords.

Will have to get another few nights of this in but huge hit. Might be my favorite "One Night" type party game.

I'm super torn on that because of the controversy. I like and am friendly with both sides of it, but man is it *super* similar to something Oink did.

Karkador

Banned
I'm super torn on that because of the controversy. I like and am friendly with both sides of it, but man is it *super* similar to something Oink did.

What's the controversy?

I will say, Bezier Games (that is, Ted Alspach) is shameless about ruthlessly putting his name on things he didn't actually create.

I had no idea there was an actual controversy around it. It's almost the same game + an extra phase, but its so simpe that how can you even avoid "copying" it.

Neverfade

Nothing illegal going on, and the game is better. And cheaper. Easy pick to me.

Edit; the frequently updating word list on the app (and custom word lists) vs a tiny deck of words. It's not even really a choice.

So what are people excited about at Gen Con this year? My list is actually pretty small compared to previous years, but I've also become much more discerning in what I'm interested in, too. So I don't know if the small list is a mix of not a lot interesting coming out, a result of me not being willing to buy as much, or a little bit of both. Maybe there are things coming out I have heard about, either.

My list, so far:

Must Grabs:
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
Flip-Ships
Approaching Dawn The Witching Hour
Legend of the Five Rings
Twilight of the Gods
Folklore: The Affliction

Maaaaaaaaaaybes:
Wasteland Express Delivery Service
Sentient
Dome Crushers
Battlestations 2nd Edition
Fate of the Elder Gods

I wish there was a better digital adaptation of Space Hulk. The adaptation by Full Control is mediocre and the AI makes the game overall pretty easy. The last mission is a joke since the AI doesn't understand how to take advantage of the ladders.

EYEL1NER

So what are people excited about at Gen Con this year? My list is actually pretty small compared to previous years, but I've also become much more discerning in what I'm interested in, too. So I don't know if the small list is a mix of not a lot interesting coming out, a result of me not being willing to buy as much, or a little bit of both. Maybe there are things coming out I have heard about, either.

My list, so far:

Must Grabs:
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
Flip-Ships
Approaching Dawn The Witching Hour
Legend of the Five Rings
Twilight of the Gods
Folklore: The Affliction

Maaaaaaaaaaybes:
Wasteland Express Delivery Service
Sentient
Dome Crushers
Battlestations 2nd Edition
Fate of the Elder Gods
Flip-Ships is one I really want, since I'm a sucker for dexterity games. Since my game group won't play dexterity games, it won't ever get played (I don't think my wife would be interested in the mechanics or theme, so no chance of her playing it either). I'll buy it when the post-Gen Con hype dies down and it is readily available.

Joba62x

Neo Member
Shadows of Brimstone updated today, said they are finally shipping out Wave 2

I took it more as they are still slowly doing what they have been doing since January and just wanted to plug the gencon booth.

I got my mine cart months ago when I found out that you actually had to send them an email to say I dont want to buy more stuff send me what I paid for already. I sent an email and had a tracking number the next day, I dont think this has been made clear to many backers.

Shadows of Brimstone updated today, said they are finally shipping out Wave 2

What exactly does one need to get the ultimate Shadows experience at this point? I know everything mixes together, and there are some expansions that actually add mechanics to the progression/between crawl bits, but I'm clueless as to where to start. I have the first two releases, Swamp and City, as well as Frontier Town. I've only opened City and put it together. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Tiny Epic Quest got here about 4 days before predicted, awesome! The itemeeples look neat and the box is quite hefty. I think they've finally reached critical mass of what they can fit in a box of that size. Repacking everything will be a challenge.
Tiny Epic Quest wall of text: I finally made it through the rules, resolved some questions on BGG, and played a 2-player game with myself. I didn't want to try the solo mode until I learned the multiplayer rules, especially since I hope to teach the game to a group this weekend.

It uses a fair bit of table space since the map alone takes up a 4x4 grid of Tiny Epic boxes, and each player has some cards and pieces.

The 22-page rulebook seems like the best I've encountered from a Tiny Epic game yet, though I still ended up posting on BGG to get some official answers (which are given quite quickly, something I appreciate). As mentioned I only did the solo mode, and I didn't use the mini-expansion, in order to make things as simple as possible.

I think the game itself is quite solid, with an odd mix of planning and RNG. Remember how Race for the Galaxy and Tiny Epic Galaxies allow other players to follow actions? In this, players take turns choosing movement types during the day, and everyone else gets to follow for free. Players take turns rolling dice at night, and everyone else who's still adventuring gets to follow certain symbols for free. It feels almost co-op in that sense, and at least one of the quest cards even suggests the other players are allied kingdoms, merely competing for quests.

There seems to be little if any way to hurt other players with one odd exception: No matter how many players are in the game, only 3 quest cards can be available at a time. There are 2 types of quest cards, and the rules mandate that you always have 1 of each type available, otherwise you start discarding the rightmost quest and sliding the others over. The long and short of it is, someone who attempts the middle or rightmost quest, if it involves exploring a temple (a time-consuming process), runs the risk of randomly losing their quest before they even get to roll dice because of a quest card someone else happened to draw. The developer suggested on BGG that people who don't like this should play with a variant that only the newest drawn quest is discarded, and I think that's the best way to teach new players. Maybe advanced players who like a little more randomness or sabotage could use the rules as written.

Aside from that, it's all very charming with a tight mix of several mechanics. Various movement types let you travel the map, which is laid out randomly but with some guidelines. Goblins impede movement, and you can choose to fight them for one scoring category. Some neutral spots let you gain power, gain health, and/or use a special action. Temples let you advance along a track to earn legendary items in various categories, which give you special powers, and also possibly complete a treasure quest for a unique item that has its own power. Legendary items are another scoring category.

A third scoring category comes from completing quests, which either come from moving your 3 meeples into various configurations that match current quest cards, or from completing temples as referenced earlier. The final scoring category is spell level, which is pretty clever. Gaining spell levels gives you more max power. Gaining spell levels requires going to various locations around the map which correspond to spells of differeng power levels. To earn a higher spell you need a global magic level cranked up, which generally happens through rolling dice later in a phase. Increasing the magic level also increases the risks of bad things happening so it's a push your luck thing that ties into everything else. The level also resets every round so you can't just push it to max and let it sit there.

Does this sound like a lot? That's why the rulebook is 20 pages, to go over all the mechanics and how entwined they are with the turns and phases. Despite all that, it feels quite simple and intuitive once you get going.

On another note, one of the things that has been advertised is the unique plastic meeples. They have tiny holes in their arms to hold tiny items and weapons. The items feel SO tiny and fragile that I suspect they'll break unless you're very careful, especially since they connect rather snugly to the meeples. They're cute, though. The game also comes with a kind of funny cardboard item rack you have to assemble, but it seems a bit unstable, the items seem likely to fall off, it would take forever to put them on, and it's 100% unnecessary. :p

Since I've gone on long enough, I'll finish with pros and cons from first impressions.

Pros:
  • The components are nice despite the tiny, delicate items and the humorous item rack. Engraved dice, solid map cards, nice straightforward artwork, lovely matte finish poker-style quest cards, wooden markers. It feels polished.
  • Graphic design is good. I had some questions about wording in the rules or on cards, but pretty much everything symbolic is clear, if tiny. There are lots of reminders on the cards how mechanics or rules work if you forget.
  • Despite the RNG of dice rolls and card draws, there's a substantial amount of planning involved in thinking about exactly where you need to spend the current round's moves, and what types of movement are available, in order to maximize your chances of doing whatever it is you want to do.
  • It's low-conflict for people who like that. Pretty much the only way to sabotage someone is try to crank the magic level up, which can also help them and hurt you, or to use the rules as written and try to get their quest auto-discarded.
  • The mechanics are entwined so solidly that just maneuvering and performing the various actions feels good.
  • From my sample size of 1, the game seems balanced. My scores were 25 to 24.

Cons:
  • The tiny items feel like they will break, and managing them plus remembering which meeple has which ability is a little fiddly.
  • There are a lot of rules to take in, thus the 20-page rulebook. Some people might initially be daunted by this.
  • Paradoxically, the game feels almost simplistic once you learn everything, because it's so clear and straightforward. You see the same map tiles every game and, I suspect, most of the quest cards every game. The exact map layout varies within a framework, the quest order is different, and dice rolls will be different, but I could imagine it feeling samey if a group played it constantly. However, the unique items with powers do push players towards certain strategies, and different strategic balances seem viable. I haven't tried the mini-expansion but I imagine that's nice to mix things up a little.

Overall I'm happy, and I suspect this could be even more appealing to random new players than Tiny Epic Galaxies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I have Dominion + Intrigue + Seaside I'm going to put up for sale (ebay or a Facebook group, probably). Because I've never touched them and I figure I can use this to fund money/space for some more LOTR:LCG content.

Any thoughts on what I could ask for for for the lot? I paid £50 because I got them from a guy I worked with who was looking to get rid and that seemed like a decent deal at the time, I'd be happy to sell on for that, they're in excellent condition as I don't think he ever really used them either.

I played two solitaire games of A Feast for Odin today. 54 and 69 respectively. Why have I dropped nearly 30 points since I last played ;_;

Wonderful, wonderful game though.

Experien

I took it more as they are still slowly doing what they have been doing since January and just wanted to plug the gencon booth.

I got my mine cart months ago when I found out that you actually had to send them an email to say I dont want to buy more stuff send me what I paid for already. I sent an email and had a tracking number the next day, I dont think this has been made clear to many backers.

I've emailed them twice and nothing. Once in April, once in June.

What exactly does one need to get the ultimate Shadows experience at this point? I know everything mixes together, and there are some expansions that actually add mechanics to the progression/between crawl bits, but I'm clueless as to where to start. I have the first two releases, Swamp and City, as well as Frontier Town. I've only opened City and put it together. :p

Wouldn't know since I only have the base games. Though from my experience with it, maybe a whole new rule book since last time I played, the zombies rules made me not able to pass the first tile.

You honestly have what I consider the "must haves". The two core sets provide a good handful of missions to run, along with all the core classes. The Frontier Town expansion, I think, greatly shores up the weaker area of the game: the part between adventures. Without Frontier Town the Travel phase feels very, very limited. The other kinds of expansions, in order from least to most useful:

1. Card pack expansions. Dead Man's Bounty is an example. They add new gear/artifacts and encounters, but not really any new content. One slightly more useful variety are the Expedition Packs, which slightly change the way the game operates. As an example, the Badlands Pack changes the way enemies target players, as well as boosting their attack and toughness, but also the resulting loot.

2. Monster expansions. They add new kinds of baddies to fight and rarely a few new Encounter or Gear cards. Not incredibly necessary, but they will definitely help as you play more of the game and get tired of meeting the same kinds of enemies.

3. Otherworld expansions. These add entirely new Otherworlds like Targa or Jargano. Currently I think Trederra and Caverns of Cynder are the two I've purchased, which are a Dark Stone WWII type world and a Fire type world respectively. There is also a "Derelict Ship" one, which I really need to get. They add new missions, artifacts, gear, encounter cards, enemies ... the whole shebang. There's also "Mine world" expansions coming up like (I think) "Arid Wastes", which function identically but are not an actual "Other World".

As far as solo games go, Shadows of Brimstone edges out Descent if you don't want to deal with the Road to Legends app. I love the setting, I love the advancement of SoB more than Descent, and overall I think it's just a great, great game. I wish I had found out about the Kickstarter before it was done, but I suppose by buying retail (actually I got into SoB because my sister gave me Swamps of Jargano as a gift) meant I got to play far sooner, even if I will end up spending WAAAY more for the rest of the content.

Since my group were such big fans of Inis I ordered Kemet, which I'd never played but always see comparisons with Inis online. And oh no I love it.... now I have to get Cyclades too lol

Finally got a chance to play onitama, goodbye chess may you rot in a dumpster for all time.

I'll probably play chess again, but Onitama gives me that feel in a tigher, quicker game with a lot more variety.

Top Bottom