• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Around 100 killed overnight in Homs

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least 90 people have been killed in an attack by Syrian government forces and loyalists on Houla, a town in Homs province, activists say.

The victims of Friday's assault included at least dead 25 children, killed after government forces tried to break into the town, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Houla has been the scene of frequent anti-government protests since the uprising against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad began in March last year. The town has also become a hub for opposition fighters.

Syria's main opposition bloc put the toll at more than 100 and urged the UN Security Council to convene an emergency meeting to examine the massacre.

"More than 110 people were killed (half of whom are children) by the Syrian regime's forces", the Syrian National Council said in a statement.

"Some of the victims were hit by heavy artillery while others, entire families, were massacred," said the statement by Bassma Kodmani, the council's head of foreign relations.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/05/20125265258397885.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jffUNQw8Fl8
Beware, obviously some of the worst scenes you'll see in your lifetime.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
GODDAMN! ; ;

I REPEAT, IF YOU HAVE KIDS

DO NOT FUCKING WATCH GAF

DO NOT FUCKING WATCH!

Sadsic

KE0XW.jpg

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I know they want to get the point across but why handle the corpses that way?

Parent or loved one emotionally destroyed

Reality isn't normal, to them at that point, picking them to show to the camera to get their view across of "See Look at what have they done"

I remember the video of a couple in Africa whose kid got ran over by a truck
head crushed, brain matter everywhere on the street, boy's head was hollow
, the father held him like he was alive, trouncing him around showing the cameras he will be OK
Fucking Destroyed me for a couple of days

I was about to call it a night, and go to sleep, now I'm super sad, was hyped for GAF meetup tonight ; ;

Some of the other videos show up close pictures of the dead, 2 of them looked so angelic like they were just sleeping, then the pan down to all the red

FUCK!

There's a "proper" way for people to handle corpses on camera?
Picking them up and throwing them down doesn't seem that proper.
I sure as hell don't know what I'd do in that situation, I'm completely removed by the fact that I'm sitting here at home, and just watching, instead of it being something that I'm living through.

NoRéN

I sure as hell don't know what I'd do in that situation, I'm completely removed by the fact that I'm sitting here at home, and just watching, instead of it being something that I'm living through.
Someone threw a dead body now?

jaxword

I've never been at war, but my dad has been a military man all his life and so were my uncles and grandparents.

They would tell me that movies and games do NOT show what death is like. In games and movies, death is this majorly shocking event that the world slows down for.

In real war, it happens anywhere or everywhere and you simply lose the ability to be shocked by it anymore. My grandpa fought in Vietnam and probably killed more people than I know personally, and he talked about how he saw his best friend's face blown half off (he survived, as it turns out) and how you just become accustomed to so much death and suffering and destruction that it becomes almost part of your daily life. And he'd talk about how he saw so many bodies they became just another part of the landscape. He once drove through a town and the civilians were stacking Viet Cong bodies on the outskirts--kids, adults, everyone just listlessly carrying these bloody corpses to be burned. And they did it, because they were so used to it. I doubt I could do that, just carry body after body out of my village.

No fancy churches or emotional crying marches or priests making speeches over expensive caskets--just cold, bloody, dead bodies.

We're EXTREMELY lucky to be born here in the US, safe and sanitized from all the death and horrors that some people grow up with.

I've never been at war, but my dad has been a military man all his life and so were my uncles and grandparents.

They would tell me that movies and games do NOT show what death is like. In games and movies, death is this majorly shocking event that the world slows down for.

In real war, it happens anywhere or everywhere and you simply lose the ability to be shocked by it anymore. My grandpa fought in Vietnam and probably killed more people than I know personally, and he talked about how he saw his best friend's face blown half off (he survived, as it turns out) and how you just become accustomed to so much death and suffering and destruction that it becomes almost part of your daily life. And he'd talk about how he saw so many bodies they became just another part of the landscape. He once drove through a town and the civilians were stacking Viet Cong bodies on the outskirts--kids, adults, everyone just listlessly carrying these bloody corpses to be burned. And they did it, because they were so used to it. I doubt I could do that, just carry body after body out of my village.

No fancy churches or emotional crying marches or priests making speeches over expensive caskets--just cold, bloody, dead bodies.

We're EXTREMELY lucky to be born here in the US, safe and sanitized from all the death and horrors that some people grow up with.
I know, My granddad fought in the Spanish Civil War and was wounded gravely for it.(On the Nationalist side, actually). I never got to meet him but the stories that my dad and my uncles and aunts tell me, is that he never spoke of it. That went asked he abruptly changed the subject. He was a stern asshole, but what he he had been through no one else could imagine. He only hinted at such details. I understand the horrors but it still seems cold to me. I understand if it were the enemy but these are the victims. And it's not like I don't sympathize here, no one wants to see innocent people die, especially children, for a stupid, political power play.

I know, My granddad fought in the Spanish Civil War and was wounded gravely for it.(On the Nationalist side, actually). I never got to meet him but the stories that my dad and my uncles and aunts tell me, is that he never spoke of it. That went asked he abruptly changed the subject. He was a stern asshole, but what he he had been through no one else could imagine. He only hinted at such details. I understand the horrors but it still seems cold to me. I understand if it were the enemy but these are the victims. And it's not like I don't sympathize here, no one wants to see innocent people die, especially children, for a stupid, political power play.

My Mother can remember an elderly Great Uncle as a child, who used to pick her up so she could tap on a steel plate in his head, oblivious to the fact that it came from a terrible head wound he got during the First World War. Later on he told her about mates putting their arms above the trenches in the hope that they'd get a ticket home. Our generation, as a whole, is clueless about this sort of thing.

jaxword

My grandpa told me he killed Viet Cong soldiers who were probably children. He couldn't tell (especially as they were asian) if they were 18 or 12.

He says what the soldiers did was simply stop seeing them as human. They were just "The Enemy."

Charlie could be 12 or 102, either way if he has a gun he can kill you.

Becoming numb was the only way to stay sane, the other alternative was to betray America. He actually said this was the platoon's mentality--if you gave up and committed suicide, that was considered betraying America as badly as joining Charlie. If you got a dishonorable discharge, that was betraying America.

The only way to leave was to follow orders until you or Charlie was dead.

He isn't proud OR ashamed of this, either. He stayed sane by saying this is what America wants, and he had a job to do. If killing kids was part of it, that was part of the job.

War is hell.

ZenaxPure

Can't be said enough, don't watch that video. Holy crap. The entire thing is just insane. It really bothers me stuff like this can still happen today in our world.

The description says that some were stabbed, shooting a child is already twisted, but using a knife would feel a lot more 'connected'. That's horrible.

It looks like one of them is missing a brain...who would do that...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

there are sometimes when the joke is appropriate, there are others when it's not. yea you can tell jokes about anything and everything, but choose your forum of speech like you actually care.

The description says that some were stabbed, shooting a child is already twisted, but using a knife would feel a lot more 'connected'. That's horrible.

I didn't watch much of the video, but high-velocity rifle rounds can do terrible damage to people. Not little holes, like in the movies.

But yeah, it's hard to imagine people willingly stabbing kids. No wonder Syrian soldiers are defecting in large numbers.

artillery shelling would do that. but they were knifed too?
what does China and Russia gain by backing Assad anyway?

UrbanRats

Well, before guns, people (including kids) got killed by blunt weapons, blades or outright savage beatings, so it's no surprise really.
It's beyond horrifying, but not surprising.

goomba

Banned
Sickening.

artillery shelling would do that. but they were knifed too?
what does China and Russia gain by backing Assad anyway?

Strategic allies.

Same reason the US vetos anything at the UN security council against the Israeli reigime who according to the UN have killed over 1,335 Palestinian children since 2000.

Fucking hell, i stopped going to 4chan to avoid this shit.

Put it big red letters that the video contains dead children with their heads open. Your warning is not enough -.-

Also put it before the video not after.

BHZ Mayor

And you though this would be acceptable to post... Why?

there are sometimes when the joke is appropriate, there are others when it's not. yea you can tell jokes about anything and everything, but choose your forum of speech like you actually care.

I figured it was just a typical reaction pic, but judging by these posts it's not. I don't know what game or scene that is, so san someone explain why that pic is in poor taste?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well fuck I could only watch 30 seconds of that and I consider myself really "strong" for this kind of stuff. Holy shit humanity and religion... fucking hell =/

I figured it was just a typical reaction pic, but judging by these posts it's not. I don't know what game or scene that is, so san someone explain why that pic is in poor taste?

The game Xenoblade. The humans are called 'Homs'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom