• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Witcher 3

After putting in a frankly obscene number of hours over the past month or so, I feel like I need to share my thoughts on this GAF favourite. My first thread, so please be nice-ish...

**light spoilers for base game from here on, if for some reason you're reading this without playing the game first**

My entry into the series is probably a little different to most people here. I haven't read any of the books, nor played the previous games (I did start Assassins of Kings a couple of years back but dropped it after 2-3 hours as I wasn't really feeling it). As a bit of background (and also as a hint of my perhaps-questionable gaming tastes XD), Final Fantasy XV and Dragon Age: Inquisition are two games that get quite a lot of hate thrown at them, and both also happen to be games I unapologetically love. It got to a point where every time I opened a thread about one of them, I'd see dozens of posts pointing out how much better TW3 was at pretty much everything they tried to do. Seeing all this praise lavished on the game, to the detriment of other games I'd greatly enjoyed, had really started to piss me off.

I was also labouring under the misapprehension that Geralt was this edgelord, tryhard character who was basically a template providing yet another self-insert power fantasy for straight male gamers (I'm not quite sure why; I think it's because I'd seen a lot of eye-rolling stuff on GameFAQs and the like about CD Projekt Red "sticking it to SJWs", and the controversy over the romance cards in the first game, implying that the games featured a bevy of female characters who existed only to drop their skirts for the player character, certainly didn't help).

So, to tell the truth, I wasn't looking forward to playing the game much, if at all. It was more of a "Well, time to see what all the fuss is about" kind of thing. I was half expecting to either drop the game halfway through if it hadn't grabbed me by then, or to finish it and then wonder what everyone else had seen in it, like I did with Shadow of the Colossus. (Sorry, fans. It didn't make me feel anything more than indifference.)

As luck would have it, there was a PSN sale the very week I decided to give the game a try, meaning I was able to get the complete edition for just £25. I took the plunge. Now, having just finished the main campaign, I can safely say that not only were my tempered expectations thoroughly shattered, this may be one of my favourite games of all time. And I still have the expansions to go!

Where to start? Let's go with the setting and the exploration aspect.

I'll admit, I felt like I was drowning in information for the first few hours of the game. I had so many names of people, factions and countries thrown at me it was difficult to keep track of who was who, even with the (very helpful) Glossary. But as time went on and I began to familiarise myself with this world, I started to slowly fall in love with it. The conflict between the Nilfgaardians and the Temerian loyalists, the legends of the Wild Hunt, the stories and tales told in books stolen from NPCs' bookshelves, the purging of mages by the witchhunters of the Sacred Flame, Geralt's search for Ciri, his history with Triss and Yennefer...all of it just drew me in, in a way few games do these days. I wanted to find out more of the world's history, to explore the regions and meet the characters tantalisingly referenced off-hand in tomes or mentioned by Geralt himself.

The explorable parts of the world are also notable in that they're actually fun to explore. As something of a completionist, I had a mild panic attack when I saw what looked to be an infinite number of question marks pop up on the Velen map (I still haven't checked out all of them). But I truly loved wandering around the wilderness, taking in the gorgeous panoramas, ferreting out armour diagrams and crafting materials, investigating every monster den and smuggler's cache. In a lot of open world games, this kind of stuff would come across as time-consuming busywork with little tangible reward, but there were countless times when I would diverge off my current path to check out a single marker and then, hours later, find myself on the other side of the map, a handful of minor quests completed, a few levels stronger and approaching dangerous levels of encumbrance. And each time, I felt like the unexpected diversion had actually been an enjoyable and productive use of my limited gaming time. This is open world done right. It helps that the art direction is so strong, with some of the most gorgeous environments, lighting and skyboxes I've ever seen.

The world is also believably designed. Having only two large cities in Novigrad and Oxenfurt, plus a few dozen less distinct villages and hamlets dotted throughout the countryside, is a better approach than having, say, eight or nine medium-sized cities spread throughout the game and only having a few houses and NPCs in each. Speaking of Novigrad, it's probably the best city I've ever seen in an RPG. I love how it's huge without feeling too overwhelming, how the various districts are distinct from one another and yet flow together in a believable and logical way...I've lost dozens of hours in here, and I still feel like there are nooks and crannies I haven't yet visited.

Seriously, how can you not want to explore this place?

Combat is...serviceable. Not as awful as I'd been hearing, but nothing to write home about either. I'll leave it at that.

Characters, on the whole, are great. They actually feel like real, flawed people in that very few of them are outright good or evil. Even people like Triss, who's presented as one of the good guys, has done morally questionable shit (unless I've misunderstood her and Geralt's backstory, she basically hooked up with him knowing he'd lost his memory and was romantically involved with Yen, who was actually a good friend of hers?). I liked that even Geralt's allies weren't above doing shady stuff, and some of them are actually pretty awful people. They all feel like believable inhabitants of the world they live in, with all the moral greyness that entails. (For the record, as much as I liked Triss, Geralt x Yen is the one true pairing. You know I'm right).

I just have to give a shout-out to Priscilla. Quite a minor character in the grand scheme of things, but she's a sweetheart, her introduction scene is one of the best musical interludes I've ever experienced in a game, and her design is aesthetically pleasing whilst also staying true to her occupation and avoiding the weirdly sexualised aspects of some of the other characters. (Hi, Ves. How the fuck have you survived to this point wearing that weird slashed-to-the-navel armour!?). Seriously, Priscilla's great. When she was attacked by the serial killer, I wanted to END him. I was more invested in the fate of this minor character than I have been in the main characters of some of the games I've played this year, and I think that says a great deal about the quality of TW3's writing as a whole.
Other standouts have been Yennefer, the Bloody Baron (but more on him later), Keira Metz, Philippa Eilhart (really, the Lodge as a whole has been great), Vernon Roche (<3) and Ciri, aside from a few annoying moments.
But not Dandelion. Man, fuck Dandelion.

I almost forgot to mention Geralt himself. I'm not sure how accurate the game version is to the character in the books, but man, I adore him.

Just look at this grizzled, strangely handsome bastard. I definitely have a new videogame crush.
Sorry, Gladio.
Physical attributes aside, though, I think he perfectly straddles the line between self-insert and established character. His dialogue options are just variable enough to allow players to role-play without compromising his overall personality. You can make him act like a mercenary asshole, a more altruistic badass, or as a sarcastic, world-weary snarker, yet he maintains the core of his character throughout. That isn't easy to do, and I have to give CD Projekt Red major props for their execution here. I also loved his relationship with Ciri and how he basically formed a dysfunctional family unit with her and Yen in the third act of the game. Smashing up Avalla'ch's lab <3

I really feel like Geralt's occupation as a witcher was flawlessly integrated into the gameplay and quest design. How you could use signs to manipulate NPCs, investigate monster attacks using witcher senses, check the bestiary to plan your combat tactics, brew oils and decoctions to fight certain monsters...sure, it's all still very videogamey stuff, but it really helped me become immersed in the game and in Geralt as a character.

Speaking of quest design, man, you people weren't kidding when you constantly talked up the Bloody Baron quest. That shit could have been an entire game in itself! And how it seamlessly and unexpectedly connected to the Ladies of the Wood quest...just masterful. I actually think placing these quests so early in the game was to the detriment of the later quests, as although enjoyable and well-written in their own right, they didn't quite live up to the expectations set by the Velen double-whammy.

As for the Ladies themselves...three of the most memorable and disturbing NPCs/creatures I've ever seen in a game, full stop.

I've played a lot of horror games, and these abominations got under my skin in a way that very few videogame nasties have. I read about them in one of the in-game books in the first visit to Vizima, and spent the next dozen hours or so hoping I'd run into them. When I did, they didn't disappoint. The whole buildup to their first appearance, with the trail of treats leading to the swamp, their hideously unsettling theme, their initial depiction in the tapestry followed by their horrifying actual appearance...just amazing. The fact that they have Welsh accents is just the icing on the cake for me. (Just one question...what the fuck happened to the last crone?)

I could go on, but I'll spare you any more of my disjointed rambling.

In closing, while the games mentioned in the first paragraph are still very dear to my heart, I have no problem at all understanding why people were so prone to praise TW3 over them. It's simply because this is the better game, by a pretty huge margin. And that's absolutely fine - I can still enjoy them, whilst acknowledging they fall short in many respects. But this, this game really is something special. I'm talking top 5 of all time, providing the expansions don't spectacularly shit the bed.

I can't believe the number of hours and the level of enjoyment I've gotten out of a game I wasn't even enthusiastic about playing. Best gaming-related £25 I've ever spent, no question.

So, what say you, GAF? Are the expansions as good as the base game? Better? I've just started Hearts of Stone, and I'm pretty ploughing excited, but after ~100 hours I'm considering taking a break to avoid burnout. Also, how do 1 and 2 hold up against this one?

I also feel the need to state that I didn't touch Gwent at all after my first game (and loss). Triple Triad is still king of in-game card games, sorry not sorry.

brau

Sorry OP. The real game starts when you get into
Gwent

I was also labouring under the misapprehension that Geralt was this edgelord, tryhard character who was basically a template providing yet another self-insert power fantasy for straight male gamers (I'm not quite sure why; I think it's because I'd seen a lot of eye-rolling stuff on GameFAQs and the like about CD Projekt Red "sticking it to SJWs", and the controversy over the romance cards in the first game, implying that the games featured a bevy of female characters who existed only to drop their skirts for the player character, certainly didn't help).

u1SSNd5.png

Jaraghan

Expansions are arguably better than the base game. Hearts of Stone has one of the best villains I have ever seen in a video game, and was made entirely by CDPR.

Also, go read the books. There are two short story collections, a 5 part saga and a smaller short story. Everything except the smaller short story has been translated to english. The books are outstanding btw. On a completely different level from the games.

Edit: Witcher 2 is also a terrific game. Some say it has a better main story too. It has many of the same characters as W3, but the world is far less open. Witcher 1 is also great, but the combat is atrocious. I'd suggest watching a Youtube playthrough unless you realllllly want to play W1.

frontovik

Banned
Well written points, OP. I'm glad you gave the game a chance despite your earlier perceptions and misgivings.

If you enjoyed the base games, then the story experience in the expansions will make you further appreciate the love and devotion that CDPR invested into the Witcher 3 world. Go for Hearts of Stone first, then Blood and Wine for chronology and follow-up with your thoughts.

(Just one question...what the fuck happened to the last crone?)
Geralt kills the last crone if you get the ending in which Ciri does not return from stopping the White Frost.

Also, how do 1 and 2 hold up against this one?
There are Witcher purists who believed the first game had on-par or superior atmosphere to the third game, and I'd argue it's not entirely exaggerated. The music, characters, and atmosphere are phenomenal. I'd recommend giving it a try and finish Act 2 at least .. the combat is definitely "unique", but play it for the story. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Witcher 2 plays like an action RPG, but you don't really get a sense of a huge world in contrast to its prequel and sequel. The writing and atmosphere retains the CDPR touch, but the game is kinda unremarkable after having played the other games.

Herne

The expansions are amazing. They could be standalone games in their own right, especially Blood and Wine. If you liked Novigrad, you'll fall in love with Beauclair.

While it's way less ambitious than Witcher 3, Witcher 2 is still super enjoyable, does a lot of interesting story stuff, and is pretty much 2 games in one. After the W3 expansions if you are still itching for more Witcher, you should give the second game a shot too.

Seriously, how can you not want to explore this place?

Because it was too big for me. I liked the game but the world is just huge and I don't really find the game is better for it. I preferred how W1 and 2 handled their overworlds, despite W1's backtracking. Overall, the potential exploration wasn't worth the trade off in pace for me and slowed the game down a tad too much.

The expansions are excellent. Hearts Of Stone has possibly one of the best villains in a game to date. Then you have Blood and Wine which is basically an entire new game.

So, what say you, GAF? Are the expansions as good as the base game? Better?
My good man, you're in for a fucking ride. Hearts of Stone's plot is my favorite out of the three (main game and two expansions) and it has some truly amazing characters, both new and comebacks. Olgierd von Elverec my main nigga :brofist:

And Blood and Wine is really close behind it in terms of enjoyable plots, while in my opinion surpassing it in regards to setting, interesting characters and things to do.

I seriously can't get over how well designed some of TW3's characters are. Some truly unforgettable.

So, what say you, GAF? Are the expansions as good as the base game? Better? I've just started Hearts of Stone, and I'm pretty ploughing excited, but after ~100 hours I'm considering taking a break to avoid burnout. Also, how do 1 and 2 hold up against this one?

I would say that none of the expansions are as good as the base game, but they are worth your time.

Hearts of Stone is very good, but it's very linear and focused compared to the base game.

Blood & Wine is good, but you can feel that CD Projekt let down their guard with this a bit. Great main quest, great witcher contracts, and the treasure hunt I did was very good. But the side quests were not even close to the quality of those you could find in the base game.

They're better.

Just started my second play through, also going to give the expansions a shot for the first time. Also downloaded all the books to my phone...
The witcher has got me hooked again!

I'm just digging back into it! I only got about 30 hours in when it came out before I decided I wanted to hold off for the expansions, just bought them a couple weeks ago! Dropped 10 hours just over the past few days. Such a beautiful game.

RedFury

Out of all the choices I've made Geralts in game dialog looked like something he would say in the novels. They captured his crassness but with intelligence, snark, etc pretty damn spot on. His relationship with Yen is pretty damn spot on too. I can't wait for you lttp on the DLC so I good!

Whenever I see a witcher 3 lttp my eyes light up, I seriously love this game and love hearing other people's effection for it.

When I finished the game after pouring over 100 hours into it I became extremely melancholy, I knew I had just experienced one of the greatest games ever made and that I would never get to experience it for the first time ever again.

poodaddy

OP,.... I know you'll find this hard to believe but the expansions are even better than the main game. You've still got about 50 more hours of amazing game coming your way.

Play gwent though,it beats triple triad's ass; seriously

poodaddy

While it's way less ambitious than Witcher 3, Witcher 2 is still super enjoyable, does a lot of interesting story stuff, and is pretty much 2 games in one. After the W3 expansions if you are still itching for more Witcher, you should give the second game a shot too.
This is also very true. In fact The Witcher 2 is still my favorite of the series.

Alexm92

My favourite game of all time. I put around 150 hours into it and adored every second. The combat didn't even bother me as much as some people. The expansions are just as amazing as the Base game. Man, I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

My good man, you're in for a fucking ride. Hearts of Stone's plot is my favorite out of the three (main game and two expansions) and it has some truly amazing characters, both new and comebacks. Olgierd von Elverec my main nigga :brofist:

And Blood and Wine is really close behind it in terms of enjoyable plots, while in my opinion surpassing it in regards to setting, interesting characters and things to do.

I seriously can't get over how well designed some of TW3's characters are. Some truly unforgettable.

Quoted for truth. Both expansions were just superb and crazy value, gave me like another 40 hours of playtime.

Much like the op The Witcher 3 was my first foray into the series as I'm a Sony console gamer primarily and it blew me away for the graphics, art, setting, music and fantastic characters. I have since read the two short story collections which were pretty enjoyable and intend to jump into the books a little further down the line.

Made me a CDProjekt fan from this one game. Cannot wait for Cyberpunk.

Davide

Game of all time and nothing this gen comes close, not even Zelda.

I also went into it with no knowledge or experience with the books or previous games. The expansions are as good as the base game.

TheYanger

In closing, while the games mentioned in the first paragraph are still very dear to my heart, I have no problem at all understanding why people were so prone to praise TW3 over them. It's simply because this is the better game, by a pretty huge margin. And that's absolutely fine - I can still enjoy them, whilst acknowledging they fall short in many respects. But this, this game really is something special. I'm talking top 5 of all time, providing the expansions don't spectacularly shit the bed.

You're not going to be disappointed by the DLC. don't read anything about them, just play them.

Blood and Wine is going to be a very good (and long) supplement of more of what you've come to expect from the game, while being in an absolutely gorgeous countryside.

Hearts of stone is the singular quest line that completely and utterly trounces the Bloody Baron stuff in terms of complexity of character and depths of really grey morality that you've enjoyed thusfar. You're really going to love it, it's fantastic. I would actually ask you to post your thoughts when you finish it, it's only like 10 hours or so. Blood and wine is good, but HoS is probably the best DLC I've ever played, and everyone always has such varied takeaways from it.

RK9039

Definitely try Gwent again, it's awesome once you get the hang of it.

I think the two expansions are better than the base game, which is an amazing achievement itself. TW3 is probably my favourite game at the moment, BotW came close though.

zkorejo

So glad to read that you ended up liking it OP. It is IMO the best game of this generation and I doubt anything will beat it (maybe RDR2).

As for the expansions. Both expansions are amazing. Hearts of stones is a bit shorter in content but overall it gives you an AMAZING story and leaves you wanting for more.

Blood and Wine is set in a world which is absolutely breathtaking, has a good story and ALOT of content. In short, you are in for a treat.

And do yourself a favor, give gwent another chance. Speaking of Gwent, there is an open beta in 3 days.

Fou-Lu

I liked the main game a lot and it had some absolutely amazing moments, but I find more and more nitpicks with it the further I get away from it. Playing Hearts of Stone on the otherhand is one of my favourite gaming moments of all time. Haven't finished Blood and Wine yet.

I like The Witcher and loved 2 but The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games of all time. The main story, side quests, characters, lore, graphics and voice acting, it's all very well done and I've not enjoyed an RPG as much as this in a long time.

I finished the main game, including all the side quests, so it took me a very long time but I loved every minute. I'm now currently on the Third Wish in the Hearts of Stone expansion and loving that too, really can't wait to start the bigger Blood & Wine expansion after.

Zophar

Every time I come back to it I'm awe-struck at what CDPR pulled off in TW3. Some of the gameplay mechanics don't come together very well, but it's a drop in a bucket compared to what *does* work. The world, the characters, the writing are all leagues ahead of anything else out there. I cannot think of a game equally as ambitious and equally successful as it, from any developer.

Ahasverus

The Witcher 2 was the game that reignited my love flame for gaming after a whole generation of dudebro.

The Witcher 3 is the game that made gaming worth it for me. Gaming exists so The Witcher 3 can exist, not the other way around.

Welcome to the family, son.

Artdayne

What a great OP! I have sunk about 500 hrs into Witcher 3 and it is my favorite game ever. From the sound of it, it might be your favorite game once you finish the DLCs. It's a game that is so easy to lose yourself in as the world building and story is first rate. The combat can actually be pretty fun too.

Witcher 1 and 2 are great games. People have varying takeaways on which they like the best, but while Witcher 1 in particular has an initial hurdle with the combat, it's really not so bad that you can't fall in love with the game for its story. I personally love Dandelion but I've got to know that character over 3 games.He just seems really unique in terms of who you'd think a character like Geralt would be friends with.

I like Dragon Age Inquisition as well. Hell, I even liked Dragon Age 2 for what it was and I didn't get around to playing it until several years later.

Jedi2016

I really need to finish this game, especially since I bought all the expansions, but I'm nowhere near even accessing the new content. My biggest hurdle is that I played a good chunk of the way through the game on PS4, then picked it up on PC and now I'm going through the same story bits again. I'm correcting some mistakes from my first playthrough, but it still feels like I'm slogging through known territory. I know it'll get better once I catch up and the game gets fresh again, but that's still a ways off.

I was trying to make some Gwent headway the last time I played, but I'm rubbish at it and can't win any of the games you need to get better cards.

Jumeira

Banned
It's a masterpiece, whilst I'm enjoying Zelda BoTW, the world, characters, history, mission design and ofcourse the story doesn't come nowhere near to the brilliance of Witcher 3, in fact I found W3 far more engrossing and enjoyable, I've yet to start Blood and Wine so I'm looking forward to more W3 goodness later on. Just waiting to beat BoTW first. The way Zelda approaches it's world design I fell is how W3 approaches it's dialogue and choices, I do think to myself how did they make this game? The level of detail and genius can be overwhelming.

But yeah, it's set the bar so high for open world RPG, nothing has come close, and imo this generation defining achievement.

Elfstruck

I really need to finish this game, especially since I bought all the expansions, but I'm nowhere near even accessing the new content. My biggest hurdle is that I played a good chunk of the way through the game on PS4, then picked it up on PC and now I'm going through the same story bits again. I'm correcting some mistakes from my first playthrough, but it still feels like I'm slogging through known territory. I know it'll get better once I catch up and the game gets fresh again, but that's still a ways off.

Same here, I'm almost at the end on PS4. But I picked up this game on PC when it was cheap, so now I'm so lazy to go through all of it again lol.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The expansions are absolutely amazing, HoS having the best story of any expansion (the story is also better than the main campaign's main storyline) while B&W being one of the most complete expansions I've ever seen with new map, mechanics and story. I can only envy you going into them for the first time!

Personally I started my first replay of the game last week and it's really reminding me of why I rate it as one of my favourite games ever (Majora's Mask Being the only one I might like more).

(Also Geralt x Shani is the one true paring, don't fool yourself)

Carn82

Cool write up :) enjoy HoS and BaW, they're great. HoS might be the best content story wise, its awesome. BaW is a great send-off, don't rush it :)

Cromat

Best Western RPG. Game of the generation. One of the best games of all time. It really is a bar-raising achievement.

Like others have said, both expansions are must-plays. Blood and Wine is fantastic and full of character, it almost feels like a completely separate Witcher game. Heart of Stone is the best single questline in the entire game, and by extension, one of the best questlines in video game history. The characters, the dialog, the music, the themes it explores...

What is striking about this game is the insane attention to detail... I won't go into them for fear of spoilers, but this is world-building done right. Unlike many modern games, this game will definitely be playable for decades to come.

If you like the world and need more of it, read the books - they are good and they make you appreciate the crazy attention to details and tiny references even more.

coastel

I only just beat it and it's expansions the other day. 137 hours. I couldn't be arsed with Gwent even though friends told me to try it, I just ain't interested in a card game.

Edit: yea the expansions are pretty damn good. Usually I wouldn't bother with an expansion after finishing the normal game, even though I finished these before I beat the main quest. but if any other expansions are like these, I may start doing so.

Figgles

A true masterpiece. I'm sitting here trying to think of the best moments, and there really are too many to count. It has so many engrossing story arcs and quests. The writing is the best ever in a video game. The characters and their relationships are top notch. It might be the only game to ever make me cry, and it happened more than once. Tears of joy and sadness. I got the worst ending on my first play through, and it crushed me. After a few days of rest, I jumped back in, and got the good ending. This game and the DLC was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences of my life.

coastel

Same here, I'm almost at the end on PS4. But I picked up this game on PC when it was cheap, so now I'm so lazy to go through all of it again lol.

I kind of did this i got it for ps4 then sold it when I got a PC to play it on that. Then sold my PC and got it on ps4 again when I got a pro. I only put a few hours in each though so wasn't as bad starting again.

Peroroncino

I'm talking top 5 of all time, providing the expansions don't spectacularly shit the bed.

(...)

Oh don't worry, expansions are arguably better, with Blood and Wine being basically The Witcher 3.5

Top Bottom