• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvC:I Devs On Preserving Depth, Picking Characters, And Fixing Chun-Li's Face

Link.

At E3 2017 Capcom released a story demo for Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite, the latest entry in its crossover fighting game series. This has given fans across the world a very small taste of the new 2v2 fighting system, which is a big departure from what longtime players have come to be used to.

Before E3 and also during it, we talked to associate producer Peter Rosas and producer Michael Evans about the Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite. Below you'll find the amalgamation of two interviews covering a broad range of subjects, from the thinking behind the new format and the emphasis on approachability to narrative ambitions in Story mode and whether Chun-Li's odd-looking face can be fixed.

The best part:
I think this is perhaps the most perfect moment to bring back Skullomania. I know it's difficult but-

Peter Rosas: Oh gosh.

He's a superhero so...

Peter Rosas: It just baffles me to this day. Why does anybody like that dude?

Well he represents-

Peter Rosas: He's a salaryman in a skeleton costume!

No! He's a salaryman until he decides not to be a salaryman. He decides he can be better and just does it. He puts on a costume and a cool scarf and he's gone. He just throws himself head-first into problems. Literally. That's his go-to move. He dives head-first at his opponents. He's a very nuanced character.

Peter Rosas: Okay, I'm starting to see that he's pretty deep.

See, now you get it.

Michael Evans: ........................

Full interview at the link. Lock if old.

Reminder that game is supposed to be out in just a few months so the game better be going gold soon.

killroy87

Regarding no Xmen, or other non-MCU characters;
If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

Mmmmmmm nope. Pretty sure people don't think of the characters they love based purely on function. By that logic, why make them Marvel or Capcom characters at all? Just use stick figures.

There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper play styles can be represented with our current roster. The design team has been looking at that very closely. We wanted to make sure that if a legacy character doesn't happen to make the roster this time, that play style would still be represented. That somebody who has associated themselves with Magneto wouldn't be lost coming into this title.

This is overall a horrible thing to say about any game that banks on fan service/cross-overs.

Mmmmmmm nope. Pretty sure people don't think of the characters they love based purely on function. By that logic, why make them Marvel or Capcom characters at all? Just use stick figures.

Yeah, what a ridiculous answer.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

guy's been looking at hitboxes too long

Daeoc

I can sort of see where he is coming from, but the characters are what makes me want to play them, and then the functions(their gameplay) are what keeps me playing. What gets many people in are the characters, then what keeps them in is the gameplay.

This is overall a horrible thing to say about any game that banks on fan service/cross-overs.

Yeah, what a ridiculous answer.

guy's been looking at hitboxes too long

This is the fullest and most dramatic extreme of "gameplay is king" I could ever imagine. Literally only the mechanics matter. Every other detail is expendably superfluous.

That's insane! I don't want my games to merely be a sum of their inputs.

mebizzle

Marvel vs Capcom is my favorite game series of all time, barring Pokemon. When MvC 3 was announced I was literally overjoyed.

Everything about this game so far has been a joke. I hate the MCU, and I hate that its taken over that side of this game; and I hate what Capcom has become.

Jawmuncher

Capcom has 3 more months to get me on board for day one. We'll see if they manage to do it. Thus far they've just been digging deep.

Neoxon

As much as I'd like Capcom to be straight-up like DeNA & say "Marvel said no to the X-Men/F4 characters", I get that Capcom can't throw Marvel under the bus. Still, Capcom isn't exactly helping matters on the stuff they can control.

Caj814

Now fix my face.
JNz5Uvv.png

68TOkvB.jpg

Outrun

Agreed.

Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

Who even remember the mutants /s

Zetta

Nah I like Magneto and Doom because they are awesome characters lol.

Hero

Yeah, that's a TERRIBLE analysis. Maybe at the ultra-competitive professional level, sure, that's what they want. As SFV has turned out, that's a very insignificant minority compared to the majority of IP fans that just want to smash someone with Magento, Sentinel, etc.

Dude just doesn't get it.

sinkfla87

ComboFiend said:
If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

This is wrong on so many levels UNLESS you COMPLETELY disregard the casual fanbase (which will be what makes or breaks the game saleswise). Truth is, the reason we've seen so many Morrigan/InsertTopTierHere/Doom teams in finals at majors for UMvC3 is because of certain movesets and assists, not because everyone who chooses that team are huge fans of them but for the fact they are OP haha. But the majority of people who would buy the game aren't going to be top 8 EVO players, they DO want to see their favorite characters represented.

Thing is though, now we don't have assists so even if Doom was in the game you wouldn't have to worry about hidden missiles!! If they want to fix broken shit then by all means do so but not at the expense of cutting expected legacy characters for suspect reasonings and try to justify it with this weak ass answer lol.

Also he pretty much confirms that the leaked roster is correct. Question is does that extend to the .zip leak?! :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
We already know of the ban / difficulty of use on certain characters. Do we need that re-iterated every time? Saying "we didn't forget about those players, there's characters who'll play like you want", is an answer I expect from a FGC vet. He's answering from his own perspective.

People become fans of new characters because they like what they do. I definitely learned to like characters in fighters and adventure games because a new work introduced me to them, in a way that only gaming can. I loved how MVC3 put me more in-the-know about the next years of Marvel's upcoming movies/works. I barely knew anything about X-23, or paid much attention to Taskmaster, before the game.

There's a balance between "I like this character because it's them!" and "I like them because they play in a way I like". It's very weird for a MvC to push the latter off it's base roster, but that's where we are... and no answers this late in production are going to change that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If characters are just functions then that nobody Spencer should have been the first to go, right Combofiend?

At least She Hulks gone. I hope whoever his third character was got cut too.

Cuburt

To be fair, it's probably the main way they hear fans justify why a certain character "needs" to be in the game since "But that's my favorite character and I like his helmet" doesn't make a very compelling argument on why any character "needs" to be in a game over another character.

He's probably talking about high-level players here. I'm pretty sure most of the people who play Magneto or Sentinel in tournaments are not actually fans of the characters themselves.

Not saying it's the right way of going about it since most of the player base aren't tournament goers, though.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Function argument is bullshit tbh. Fighting game crossovers are all about that "all-star" cast, and they dropped the ball for the most part.

JayEH

If characters are just functions then that nobody Spencer should have been the first to go, right Combofiend?

At least She Hulks gone. I hope whoever his third character was got cut too.

You're acting like he personally picked the roster.

border

Characters are just functions, guys! We just happened to decide that the function of every single X-Men character needed to be replaced.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You're acting like he personally picked the roster.

He shouldnt have given such a dumb answer.

I dont care who did what or whose at fault. As a consumer I look at the product Im being asked to pay $60 for.

Korigama

Indeed, he's approaching the issue with the mentality of an FGC player. It's completely lacking perspective in regards to why most people would buy such a game.

The answer was ridiculous, but these guys simply can't speak on the real reason why.

Just look at the pattern:

Jay from Marvel Games:

One challenge might be in choosing which characters will go in the game. While the full roster for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite has not been confirmed as yet, the series' fanbase has been vocal about the initial absence of staple characters from the X-Men and Fantastic Four universes. To hear fan forums tell it, Marvel is withholding Wolverine, Dr. Doom, and the like as part of a dispute over the movie rights to those franchises with 20th Century Fox.

"It's something I really can't comment on right now," Ong said. "We haven't officially released the roster. Let's just say we think our fans will be pleased with what's being announced. And what we talked about earlier with games-as-a-service, we certainly expect Marvel vs. Capcom to be that. There's going to be content released over time. We're not seeing this as a one-off that ships this fall; it's a service that goes on for years. Therefore, if you look at it, content and new characters are going to be dropped over time, and I think fans will be happy with what's going to be dropped, not just in September but going on from there."

Mike Evans:

The X-Men stuff, can't talk to. But I do want to talk about the character-selection process because I think it's important. There's three things we're looking at: Gameplay first and foremost of course. The Capcom R&D team and us, we get together and we talk with Marvel about what characters we want to put in. From a character-type perspective, we want our big brawler characters, our characters that can fly, our small characters or whatever. Just from a creative side, gameplay, here's the characters we want. That plays a part.

They can't speak on the X-Men stuff. It's obvious by now that they can't say anything.

Seyavesh

Indeed, he's approaching the issue with the mentality of an FGC player. It's completely lacking perspective in regards to why most people would buy such a game.

almost every competitive single marvel player i know has their 'main character' on a team because of that character love. marvel 3 is actually pretty great at making a lot of super popular characters people really like also really relevant gameplay wise!
of course, there are also a fuckton of chars who are not strong enough who fall into that qualifier but boy howdy there are folks who try their damnedest to make it happen!

it is actual bullshit funneling blame towards an non-existent group of players that view games as hitboxes rather than as a combination of a bunch of shit they love. dudes love the "personality" that characters they play exude, even if it's built on a nonsensical legacy like magneto flying around kicking the shit out of you.

the statement itself is pretty much spitting in the face of character loyalists who have been pushing their characters for years because "oh you actually only liked their moveset".

dumb PR bullshit is always gonna be just that but that specific statement has an extremely high in foot-in-mouth level.

JayEH

He shouldnt have given such a dumb answer.

I dont care who did what or whose at fault. As a consumer I look at the product Im being asked to pay $60 for.

Ok you know the real reason why the characters aren't in the game don't attack the people who have no control over that.

Korigama

almost every competitive single marvel player i know has their 'main character' on a team because of that character love. marvel 3 is actually pretty great at making a lot of super popular characters people really like also really relevant gameplay wise!

of course, there are also a fuckton of chars who are not strong enough who fall into that qualifier but boy howdy there are folks who try their damnedest to make it happen!

it is actual bullshit funneling blame towards an non-existent group of players that view games as hitboxes rather than the combination of a bunch of shit they love. dudes love the -character- that the dudes exude, even if it's built on a nonsensical legacy like magneto flying around kicking the shit out of you
Then he should've phrased his answer in a manner that suggests what you're saying, as opposed to a response encouraging consumers to view the cast as nothing more than a collection of toolsets.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
giphy.gif

Top Bottom